Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• SimluvurSimluvur Posts: 17 Member
    I'm excited! Have so many ideas running through my head for this right now. Especially on which sim to use! I'll have to figure out screenshots, to be honest, I don't usually do them. I also love this challenge for the mere fact of it having to be only 600 words, and for other reasons. I made a WordPress though...just not only as part of this Simlit Short Story Challenge but as a challenge for myself, it will be Sim 4 Short Stories so I can teach myself not to write such long stories - or chapters. I guess I consider it Story Training Camp for myself. ^.^
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Huh. I didn't notice, but this submission is the only story I've ever written where the screenshots didn't come first. The subtext and meta elements laid the foundation, then I blocked out the main events/foreshadowing/crucial details, procrastinated for several days on building the stupid machine, built the stupid machine, figured out how posing mods work, interrupted my characters' lives to twist them into ersatz positions, threw out half the screenshots, wrote a description of the stupid machine, wrote all dialogue, edited like 80 times, and entertained myself by making a character say the word "no" repeatedly until the word count was exactly 600.

I'm not a visual person, so using images economically was the biggest challenge. Maybe people who did screenshots first are more visual?
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • SylentwhysperSylentwhysper Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hi Everyone, loving all the submissions so far! Here's my story. It's 595 words with 6 pictures. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you.

https://evermoresims.wordpress.com/story-first-kiss/
    WardHarthBanner1_zpspyw6omfp.png
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Holey Moley @Sylentwhysper that one needed a multiple tissue warning at the top ... wonderful story (your comments are not enabled on your blog so I was unable to comment there)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    OHH @Simluvur I am excited to see it too .. this has been such a treat getting to read all of these (new to me) authors.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Wow, I'd never considered taking screenshots first. I'll have to challenge myself to try that. I feel like the story would follow the screenshots in that case. Or maybe you know the bones of the story in your head and then take the screenshots and write from there.

I come up with the general idea in my head and then write the story until it's perfect. Then I storyboard it and write detailed descriptions of what the screens look like and where they go. Then I set up each shot one by one.

While I do have the bones of it on a storyboard I really enjoy seeing what my sims do in some situations .. in a recent story 2 of my characters were to go to the local bar and investigate (Strangerville) when they got there the female of my duo would glare at any other female who got anywhere near the male (I have them destined romantically but nothing in the pink) it was hilarious because she mean mugged the crud out of them AND THEN when they got back home to the barracks he tried to friendly talk her and her face went stone and she snapped him a salute ... I had the best time writing that little gift from EA up. It was far funnier than anything I had thought of. It is such a weird game!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    I discovered this because of Sylent Whysper. I love this. I hope to keep checking in and reading. I REALLY want to come back to my Sims, so maybe this will be the inspiration. I love all of your stories! Keep on scribbling.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    @Sylentwhysper - oh my, my, my! I am not going to spoil this for the others and couldn't comment on your blog, but it was a powerful short story. Great job!

Looking forward to reading more submissions!

Most of my stories are sim-driven, so I take the screenshots and then write. For the short story, however, I did write first and then did the screenies. Sometimes I just get an idea and it flows and I write it out. When an idea hits, it could be anywhere, so I jot down the idea. I have lots of post-its and scribbles on bits of paper that I then transfer to a notebook at home.
  • breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    > @Sylentwhysper said:
    > Hi Everyone, loving all the submissions so far! Here's my story. It's 595 words with 6 pictures. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you.

That was really great, and the screenshots were some next level talent. Voting won't be easy.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
    edited April 2019
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    Holey Moley @Sylentwhysper that one needed a multiple tissue warning at the top ... wonderful story (your comments are not enabled on your blog so I was unable to comment there)

Thank you for reading! And thank you for hosting this challenge. It's great for someone like me, who have so many ideas floating in my head but don't know where to channel it. A themed challenge really gives me the focus I need.

Sorry about not enabling comments. I'm still learning Wordpress and still trying to get the hang of blogging. I posted the story as a 'Page' instead of as a 'Blog.' I guess 'Pages' don't come with a comment box? I reposted as a blog and comments are now allowed. I believe the same link will still lead to the post, so you shouldn't have to update the link.

Post edited by Sylentwhysper on
    Minraed wrote: »
    I discovered this because of Sylent Whysper. I love this. I hope to keep checking in and reading. I REALLY want to come back to my Sims, so maybe this will be the inspiration. I love all of your stories! Keep on scribbling.

Hiii, Min! I hope you consider joining in. I know how much you enjoy creating, this would be a perfect opportunity. :)

@SoulGal7 Thank you for reading!

@breckenridge Thank you! I agree with @lisabee2 that screenshots are important to telling a story, so I always try to have a strong visual presentation too. :)
    @lisabee2 I'm excited! I have a sim ready, just created her actually. An I also made a page on WordPress for the fun of it, though I think I mentioned this already. Now I just have to manage how to make her story and short *For Starters* and things. ^.^ My WordPress page for fun though isn't all spiffy or nothing though. ROFL!

• Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Hi Everyone, loving all the submissions so far! Here's my story. It's 595 words with 6 pictures. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you.

https://evermoresims.wordpress.com/story-first-kiss/

In love with the gender role reversal!
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
    @SoulGal7 Thank you for reading!

@breckenridge Thank you! I agree with @lisabee2 that screenshots are important to telling a story, so I always try to have a strong visual presentation too. :)

OH yes, you are prima when it comes to screenshots ... I have LONG admired your edits .. I was tickled pink to see you are a storyteller too
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Minraed wrote: »

OHHH @Minraed ... I have missed you <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    https://shorts4stories.home.blog/2019/04/18/foolish-notions-simlit-short-story-challenge/ < -- there is my Short Story for the Challenge. ^.^ Hope you like. My Shorts4Stories will be for more than just challenges though, but right now this short story is the only post. ^.^ 3 screenshots.
    Simluvur wrote: »
    https://shorts4stories.home.blog/2019/04/18/foolish-notions-simlit-short-story-challenge/ < -- there is my Short Story for the Challenge. ^.^ Hope you like. My Shorts4Stories will be for more than just challenges though, but right now this short story is the only post. ^.^ 3 screenshots.

Is this Laura Berry?
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    This seems fun... I've always wanted to make a sims story. I think I did, back when I was 13, but that was 6 years ago.
    Though I have to ask, when you have to choose between novice and veteran, how do you determine it? Does it mean a novice simlit writer or a writer in general? Cause I have written a LOT of fanfictions during the past four years, but it's been six years since making a sims story.
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    @SimsQueer - Hi, I believe that the Novice category is for simmers with 1 year or less blogging experience, and Veterans are for over a year. However, @LisaBee2 has left it up to each simmer's discretion as to what category they wish to submit their short story for. Hope that helps :)
  • breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    SimsQueer wrote: »
    This seems fun... I've always wanted to make a sims story. I think I did, back when I was 13, but that was 6 years ago.
    Though I have to ask, when you have to choose between novice and veteran, how do you determine it? Does it mean a novice simlit writer or a writer in general? Cause I have written a LOT of fanfictions during the past four years, but it's been six years since making a sims story.

To me, it means a novice simlit writer. It's different from story writing in general, after all. If nothing else, there are the pictures.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
    TY @SoulGal7 you answered correctly <3 ... each simmer must determine where they legit fit as a writer and if the word simlit and adding some screenshots changes that determination .. then that is your choice. This is about personal growth... where will you grow? Remember too this is voted upon by your readers (the collective readers from the entrants) how will they see you?
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    hsSpZXW.jpg

10 days to the deadline ... challenge closes midnight 30 April

Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: April 2019 Theme and Requirements

BE sure that you have met the requirements for this challenge .. one of the hardest lessons I have ever learned in doing Sim model challenges is FOLLOW THE BRIEF

THEME:

Fools … Foolishness … Folly

WORD COUNT:

Up to 600 max

SCREENSHOT REQUIREMENT:

min 5 to max 7

DEADLINE:

30 April 2019 @ Midnight PST

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    Just popping in over here to say a quick howdy. I haven't been active on the forums in a while but have been doing some lurking. As stated before, I do plan to participate and will get something up, hopefully, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. I've been in the midst of doing some maintenance on my blog and have had to change up some stuff. I'm done now (well, kinda) and can actually think about cranking at least something out.

The 600 words though - ouch! I like a good challenge, so I'll see what I can come up with.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
    Looking forward to seeing it <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger