Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    edited April 2019
    @13Vader The TV is not considered a piece of fitness equipment. It has to be a separate dedicated piece of equipment (that adds fitness skill). Good try though! ;)
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    13Vader wrote: »
    I didn't know about the yoga mat. So I'll change it for the punching bag, unless I can count the TV workout channel (added with fitness pack) as a fitness equipment.

Mrs. Hawthorne specified "a piece of fitness equipment." We interpret that as an object specifically designed for fitness, so the TV would not count in this case.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    I have no idea how you guys are creating such beautifully decorated and really big houses on only 45,000 Simoleans...I have everything in but the exercise equipment and only have 3000 left to decorate the place with nice lights and rugs and stuff....plus still don't have toys for the kids or anything... I guess I'm just not up to this challenge...*sigh*...and now I feel really stupid!
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    I have no idea how you guys are creating such beautifully decorated and really big houses on only 45,000 Simoleans...I have everything in but the exercise equipment and only have 3000 left to decorate the place with nice lights and rugs and stuff....plus still don't have toys for the kids or anything... I guess I'm just not up to this challenge...*sigh*...and now I feel really stupid!

A lot of what I used is pretty cheap. Fewer windows and open spaces instead of doorways when possible helped. And in this case I actually used carpet flooring rather than individual rugs in two of the bedrooms. I didn't put a lot of electronics in either.
    Also, the house I ended up buiding started out on two levels until I decided that plan was eating up my budget too fast.
    Give it a try, you may actually have enough.

image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »

A lot of what I used is pretty cheap. Fewer windows and open spaces instead of doorways when possible helped. And in this case I actually used carpet flooring rather than individual rugs in two of the bedrooms. I didn't put a lot of electronics in either.
    Also, the house I ended up buiding started out on two levels until I decided that plan was eating up my budget too fast.

Well, there isn't a lot of time left to get it done...but I'll give it another try...thanks for the encouragement!

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
    SimTresa wrote: »

Well, there isn't a lot of time left to get it done...but I'll give it another try...thanks for the encouragement!

You're welcome. And if it turns out you can't finish in time, you could still do it just for fun.
    image.png
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member

Although this build isn't a "starter home," you can use some of the same money-saving tricks to come in under budget. First and foremost, start small. Walls are expensive! Here's a page with some good tips on it - https://sims-online.com/how-to-build-a-starter-home-sims-4/

You can do it! :)
  • 13Vader13Vader Posts: 178 Member
    13Vader wrote: »
    I didn't know about the yoga mat. So I'll change it for the punching bag, unless I can count the TV workout channel (added with fitness pack) as a fitness equipment.

Mrs. Hawthorne specified "a piece of fitness equipment." We interpret that as an object specifically designed for fitness, so the TV would not count in this case.

I had to try, :D I'll take some more pictures. ;)
  • 13Vader13Vader Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2019
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #117 -HAWTHORNE PROJECT IX-
    FORUM ID:
    13Vader
    ORIGIN ID: 13Vader
    LEVEL: Master
    LOT: "Good Riddance"
    LOT COST: § 2.000
    LOT NAME: Sporting Space
    GALLERY COST: § 43.000
    TOTAL COST: § 45.000
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: BnS 117 HAWTHORNE PROJECT IX "Good Riddance"
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Lilard family will enjoy their new house once their abusive husband/father is out of the picture. Dayana will be able to take care of her kids in this affordable home while she tries to find a way to provide for them 
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
    TWITTER TAG: https://twitter.com/13Vader_
    TUMBLR LINK: https://13vadersims.tumblr.com/
    k7Wp05Q.png8R1S5gU.png
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited April 2019
    I guess I'm not the only one then... I feel a bit less embarrassed. I made notes of what was required and left off the chess table & painting easel... and I had the yoga mat too! Oh, man, I almost gave up this morning to just post as a regular build and move on. Seriously. Had to go back in & generate another thousand then re-do the pics I'd posted, etc., etc. Even virtual budgets stink! ;)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    edited April 2019
    @jeswainston65 I hope you don't give up. The link that @KittKat7147 sent looks like a great resource! Another thing that I have begun to do is to sometimes pick a 'theme' to build around for your starter or budget build. A goal. Sometimes, I enjoy choosing a few items (or even one) that are not as budget that make that 'theme' pop... and I challenge myself if at all possible keep the item(s). For instance, if you are building with seasons, adding a fireplace. Or if your are building for a cook a small herb and veggie garden and more attention to the kitchen is nice. And make sure that item that is costing you the pain of making it work is prominent. Make it worth it.

Many of the tips I would give are in the article. Steel yourself for the pain of deleting your darlings (things you've set your heart on), as you will be doing a lot of it. A lot.

A couple of things that will help in staying on budget and making sure you have everything you 'need' is to build the home framework and add the cheapest flooring and wall coverings inside and out to all rooms (that way you have it in the budget and you can go back in and pick the wall/floor coverings you really want later) and add cheap beds, kitchen countertops, sinks cheap tub/toilet/sink(s), trash cans, kitchen tables and bare bones basic furniture that you know you will have to have. Just randomly throw them in the home. This way they are also there as 'placeholders' for helping you make sure those items are included in the budget, and you will go in later and revise the items to match your design/desired colors/types.

If you're out of money and need some clutter there are some things in debug that can be handy. https://simsvip.com/2014/10/01/the-sims-4-buydebug-cheat-now-abvailable/ Look at the challenge as a learning process and you'll learn a lot by pushing through the frustrations and barriers.

Also, in this challenge make sure you leave room in the budget for the lot cost, as in most challenges (like the current one) you have to make the lot cost part of the budget limit amount.

Have a lovely Easter, and I look forward to seeing your build if you decide to post this time around!
    Post edited by SheriGR on
    Sims 4 Gallery
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    SheriGR wrote: »
    I guess I'm not the only one then... I feel a bit less embarrassed. I made notes of what was required and left off the chess table & painting easel... and I had the yoga mat too! Oh, man, I almost gave up this morning to just post as a regular build and move on. Seriously. Had to go back in & generate another thousand then re-do the pics I'd posted, etc., etc. Even virtual budgets stink! ;)

I got lucky, only had to redo a little bit and somehow ended up even further under budget. New pics for the bedroom with the punching bag, the overhead, changed the garden fence while I was at it, then realized sims weren't going to use the bathtub th eway it was facing so flipped that and redid the bathroom screenshots.
    image.png
    @Pinkusfamily Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I was pretty excited about this challenge, and I really got into it! Yes, there are so many lovely homes in this challenge! It is also great to hear all of the support that builders are giving each other. That makes all the difference! Happy Easter!
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Oi, I misinterpreted the ‘fitness’ descriptor too. I thought the yoga mat counted since it does make your sim gain muscle. Didn’t think you meant the skill haha. I’ll have to edit my build then.
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    Once I knew our Sim Mom was pregnant - I knew the Yoga mat was not gonna work.. I did put it in anyway, some times it just looks good as a rug... Some how I squeezed in a Basketball hoop. But Mom has not played yet.. And in my Game She had...............................Twins- Another Girl & a Boy.....

TWINS- I did Not see that coming !
    edited April 2019
    @Pinkusfamily Mine too! And I was amazed to see that another bassinet just appeared for the 2nd baby! :o:D
    ds9HUmz.jpg
    Sims 4 Gallery
    Once I knew our Sim Mom was pregnant - I knew the Yoga mat was not gonna work.. I did put it in anyway, some times it just looks good as a rug... Some how I squeezed in a Basketball hoop. But Mom has not played yet.. And in my Game She had...............................Twins- Another Girl & a Boy.....

TWINS- I did Not see that coming !

hehe, soon as I loaded, MCCC tried to give her quints - 4 boys and 1 girl. ! I said nope, she's having one boy and that's it!
    image.png
    SheriGR wrote: »
    @Pinkusfamily Mine too! And I was amazed to see that another bassinet just appeared for the 2nd baby! :o:D
    ds9HUmz.jpg

Yes, it does that for multiples. Though the first time I had triplets, they all tried to be born into the same bassinet. I had to go in and buy two extras myself, and get the parents to interact with the babies so they'd get put back in different bassinets.
    image.png
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited April 2019
    First of all, HAPPY EASTER everyone!!!

Second of all, never just give up! It takes a lot of tweaking and going back to try to find more money by changing out stuff, tearing down walls and fences, giving up on the beautiful windows and furniture for things that will "do" instead. That is just part of the challenge. :D I am not sure anyone likes it, but we do it for love of designing :D So don't get discouraged! The longer you do this, the more you become aware of having to use cheaper stuff and corner cutting at the beginning, and it will seem a little easier with that experience. I seldom finish a build and say to myself that that is the way I WOULD have done it if I had more funds. The best part is, you get to decorate and not use real life dollars/currency to do it!!!

Just a tip, because there are qualifying pieces to include with this build(sorry it is too late for some): Start with the pieces that have to be included, then work your furnishings around with whatever you have left over. That way you do have what you need in the build and don't have to worry about squeezing them in later. Now if I could always remember to do it that way...
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    edited April 2019
    There have been a lot of great tips so far, but I also wanted to throw in a couple of my own for budget/starter builds:

Especially for Hawthorne Project houses, particularly young or disadvantaged families, I also build from real-life experience. I'll be 40 this December, my daughter just turned 5, and up until last year, I've lived my whole life "poor," aka "disadvantaged." (We're white, and he has middle-class parents, so there are other factors, hence the quotation marks.)

When you're a broke-plum, you need to learn how to fix stuff yourself, because "throw it away and buy a new one" doesn't cut it. I don't feel bad giving sims The Ambassador for a toilet, The Patrician for a sink, etc, because they need to learn how to repair their stuff instead of just replacing it. Yes, it's going to break all the time, and they're going to build their Handiness skills repairing them. The Yum Cooker is going to give them rubbish food, short out, and catch fire all the time - and they'll learn how to cook on a budget, eat crappy food and be satisfied with it, repair stoves, and put out fires. They won't have a lot of decor, so they'll be ecstatic when they're able to save up for an upgrade to a TV, a new painting (or create their own!) or receive a gift on their birthday. Basically, you're helping these sims learn how to stand on their own two feet and manage their emotions!

And, as a few people have pointed out - walls are a waste of money, both in game and in real life. If you have unnecessary hallways, decorative half-walls, walls for the sake of adding "aesthetics" rather than function, you're wasting money. I end up with a lot of boxy builds, but I'm also starting to experiment with more creative yet functional room arrangements - ways to do a house layout that might not be "traditional" in the truest sense but that still allow the sims to efficiently use the house while giving a more interesting look than a box.

(In this build, I also wasted some money on a bigger lot than was technically needed for everything they have, but I'm big on giving kids - and adults - room to run outside. :p )
    Thanks for all the advice and links everyone....I'm trying again ... I've downsized considerably ... we shall see how it goes.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • EmilieFloraEmilieFlora Posts: 35 Member
    CHALLENGE #117 - Hawthorne Project IX
    FORUM ID:Emilieflora
    ORIGIN ID:Emile-Flora
    LEVEL: This my first entry so I am unsure of where to place myself
    LOT: New Beginnings https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/A4296B3B644B11E986AE6B74343DD635?category=all&searchtype=hashtag&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=BnS117&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST:§2,000
    LOT NAME: Bedlington Boathouse
    GALLERY COST:§42,985
    TOTAL COST: §44,985
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/yTsva3E
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please. hlep me improve :)
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: no CC

jV7Dhwj.png
    aTMhp3F.png
    edited April 2019
    There have been a lot of great tips so far, but I also wanted to throw in a couple of my own for budget/starter builds:

Especially for Hawthorne Project houses, particularly young or disadvantaged families, I also build from real-life experience. I'll be 40 this December, my daughter just turned 5, and up until last year, I've lived my whole life "poor," aka "disadvantaged." (We're white, and he has middle-class parents, so there are other factors, hence the quotation marks.)

When you're a broke-plum, you need to learn how to fix stuff yourself, because "throw it away and buy a new one" doesn't cut it. I don't feel bad giving sims The Ambassador for a toilet, The Patrician for a sink, etc, because they need to learn how to repair their stuff instead of just replacing it. Yes, it's going to break all the time, and they're going to build their Handiness skills repairing them. The Yum Cooker is going to give them rubbish food, short out, and catch fire all the time - and they'll learn how to cook on a budget, eat plum food and be satisfied with it, repair stoves, and put out fires. They won't have a lot of decor, so they'll be ecstatic when they're able to save up for an upgrade to a TV, a new painting (or create their own!) or receive a gift on their birthday. Basically, you're helping these sims learn how to stand on their own two feet and manage their emotions!

And, as a few people have pointed out - walls are a waste of money, both in game and in real life. If you have unnecessary hallways, decorative half-walls, walls for the sake of adding "aesthetics" rather than function, you're wasting money. I end up with a lot of boxy builds, but I'm also starting to experiment with more creative yet functional room arrangements - ways to do a house layout that might not be "traditional" in the truest sense but that still allow the sims to efficiently use the house while giving a more interesting look than a box.

(In this build, I also wasted some money on a bigger lot than was technically needed for everything they have, but I'm big on giving kids - and adults - room to run outside. :p )

Excellent points, @SimsIslandheart. I went with a lot that was only a little wider than the house because the back yard was more important than side yards, but I also moved the house around a couple of times before finding the right spot. I initially had an entryway and porch I really liked, but both had to go. The living room might not be the one I planned, but it's the one that worked. I might use those features in a different build, and maybe they'll come out better for having been tested before.
    image.png
    edited April 2019
    Yup... @SimsIslandheart @SimTresa @jeswainston65 In writing (budget Sim builds), you must kill all your darlings." ― William Faulkner

And it can be a painful process... but we will be stronger builders for it. ;)
    Post edited by SheriGR on
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • DevilariahDevilariah Posts: 124 Member
    Thnx for the clarification and the tips/links :)
    I think i might be done, but im just gonna sleep on it haha
    and tomorrow (hopefully, or the day after) i will figure out how imgur works :P and post everything :D
    This is really fun and i enjoy seeing everything thats already been posted, so amazing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top