Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM No. 212 - Settlement for Simanity

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9297224

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/nhFcfBI

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Included in Above

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 36 x 64 (House is 9x3 w/ 4x2 deck); 1580 Memorial Parkway; Final cost was 8,000 for a single house.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: So I chose to use dense urban as my inspiration. I wanted to build something that was easy to move and could be put up almost anywhere. So I chose to build a tiny house. I tried to make this one as fun and freeing as possible with a focus on how the houses function as a community. I wanted to create a place that people crashed into each other and drew support and inspiration from each other. I wanted it to feel artsy and youthful. I hope you enjoy.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    GreenCats wrote: »

Your little cabin looks fantastic @iampes23 . I especially like roof line, the layout, and all the little bits and pieces that make it feel like a welcoming home. There's even a tea set :) Amazing to be able to fit up to 4 adults and an infant in such a small space!

Thanks! Having less walls was the only way to get all the necessities in and still have it feel open. (that also helped the budget, too ;) )

• ZinchtZincht Posts: 32 Member
    @mederouin I really liked your lot layout! I've been trying to think of how to do 4 units without just making a big square, and then you posted your trailers, artistically all over the place. But, can I get a walking view of the bathroom, too? It's so hard to see details from the top-down view. (Is that a mirror or a window next to the toilet?)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @iampes23 - Love the roof line, those flower beds, the jut outs, and that you can sleep 4.5. Nice job!

@mederouin - I really love that concept! The shape that looks like it could be pulled along as a fifth wheel is genius!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    You know, I really need to get my act in gear and start submitting my builds sooner. :D Reason being I like what you all do better than mine, and then I think I should just start over.

I try not to look too closely at others' builds before mine is finished so I am not too influenced by what everyone has done, although I did restart this time a few times and did know what the first couple submissions were. I ended up with what I am calling prefab yurts in a desert setting, and I am absolutely uploading pictures today and should have my submission up by tomorrow. I'm determined! It's not like the builds themselves haven't been done for a while.

Sadly, I never have gotten back here to comment on builds from the past couple challenges, and at this point, I think I should just move on to the current month. As usual, everyone's creativity is wonderful and I love everything.

The A-frame-ish "roof" houses are both great, @creativemetaphor 's cozy build for a cold climate, and @Kgaff 's tropical in the pretty green.

@ciane I love your tall foundation build, too - that worked out really well and the community layout is very appealing.

@Zincht it's great that you found a way to incorporate a generous (for the lot size) outdoor space that's still secured by the fence and I'm impressed you got two bedrooms in there, too.

@iampes23 What an adorable little cottage - love the roof lines. And it sleeps five! Wow.

@mederouin What a great design of a mobile unit and a lovely lot layout.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited March 2019
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #212 - Settlement for Simanity

NAME: suzses
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9297776
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmb6tsGM

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: media included in the above album
    LINK TO OPTIONAL CHALLENGE LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9297777

LEVEL: advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Individual yurt on a 10x15, $7,993 excluding $300 lot cost. Custom placed lot on the Area 52 Test Labs side of Lucky Palms on Lakeside Drive.

Community of yurts on a 50x50 custom placed lot next to the single unit (I did bulldoze the empty 50x50 next to Lovely Lake Park and Playground and place another one further away from that park but on the same side of the road.) I didn't check the cost of this lot before I put in sims to test routing, but it's around $58,000 now.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: My yurt residences are on the small side, both because by adding even one wall space on each of the eight sides the budget would have been blown, and also because think it would not have still fit the 10x10 space requirement. Staying on the smaller side also allowed the use of a little better appliances - the stove, fridge, and shower are all better and more pleasant to live with than the cheapest variations offered in the game.

The original yurt was placed on a 10x15 lot with everything fitting in a 10x10 area except, I think, the mesquite bush, which I considered "foliage." I did count it in the lot cost, though. The total for the single lot was $8,293, the lot itself being $300, so the unit's cost totals $7,993.

To create the larger community option, I placed the original yurt at the center back of a 50x50 lot, with four additional units, two on each side of a central community garden. At the front of the lot are several covered areas for community use, including a laundry, children's play area, and a picnic area. In a back corner, there is also a small bit of space used to accomodate pets - there are two dog houses (my experience is a cat will sleep in one), two food dishes, a couple dog and cat toys, and a cat scratching post behind one of the dog houses.

The use of roofing over the outdoor areas is to create shade in a hot climate. Other nods to climate include the placement of a rainwater collection system, and HVAC units for each individual yurt. I also did include sprinklers in the garden area this time (these sims have enough on their plates with being displaced, afterall, and don't need to spend all day in the hot sun watering plants ;) ). The only upgrading I did was to send in a sim to make the sprinklers auto water.

Each unit sleeps two. While I wanted to vary the sleeping arrangements, the "you may reCASt for variety but cannot change anything beyond that" statement in the assignment caused me to think I shouldn't do that. There are two basic colors for the exteriors, a teal and a sage green, with three door colors used. The interior wall colors all match the exteriors. Fabric/upholstery colors and patterns are varied - and maybe some other small color change was used - for each unit, but except for a couple similar-cost differences in what's on the kitchen shelf or the choice of alarm clock on the dresser, everything else is exactly identical.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: none
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    47421394582_213fd53f37_c.jpg

32532968107_07f62e2ffe_c.jpg
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I surprised myself and got finished tonight. :) Even the lot uploads this time. (Sorry I was so long winded about it all, though.)

Speaking of uploads, I have also finally put up my house from last month. I've gone back and added the link to my submission above, but here it is again: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9297771.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Love the yurts and downloaded Faith's Haven too!
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    Love your yurts @suzses . The desert landscaping is lovely, especially in the larger version with the communal garden. Beautiful calming colours too :smile:
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @suzses I love your yurts!! I especially love the open ring with the bath in the core, that's a very clever way to use that shape :)
    edited March 2019
    I was so intrigued by those RVs that I had to play with them myself.
    You can see how I borrowed that idea to make trailers. The trailer fit on a 10x10 for under 8k. Then I moved the trailer to a 10x15 to add a vehicle. I placed three 10x15s around another 10x15 lot that I turned into a small park with laundry and wood oven and a sand box and tree house.
    You can see it here: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9298846
    l2wu_original.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    5nd1sli.png
    BnS #212 - Settlement for Simanity is closed!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited April 2019
    25JCKOf.png

Double-checking the address, you follow the walkway up to the front door. It’s an older house, but someone has put effort into the upkeep and looks welcoming. The message only said that your assistance would be of great help, but no other details.

You go to knock but the door gives way with a creek under your knuckles. The air has that faint tint of chalk dust, incongruent with the image the house presented upon approach.

“Hello?” you call out, not wanting to intrude without invitation. Not to mention feeling slightly uneasy at the open door.
    There comes a crash from somewhere inside, but then a voice calls back, “Hello! Yes, I’m here! Just a moment!”

And true to word, a moment later a kindly-looking older gentleman is at the door. He’s dressed in overalls, and from the look and smell of it, he’s covered in chalk-dust.

“Mr. Gizinski?” you ask, just to ensure you really are at the right house.

“Yes, sorry, I was just cleaning the erasers. Come in, come in!”

You follow him into the living room - or what would have usually been a living room, except this one was filled with small desks and chairs, a chalkboard, easels, toys, and boxes of who-knows-what. Shelves filled with books lined every wall. There is so much crammed into the room that there’s hardly any room to walk.

“As you can see, I’m running out of space here,” he says, pushing some desks aside to make more room for the two of you. “That’s why I need you.”

“Oh! You wish for… an addition?”

“No, no. Oh no, that would never do. It would look so awkward on this house…”

You can appreciate a person who appreciates architectural aesthetics.

“No, I think I need a whole new place, a new daycare and school for these delightful children! My passion has always been expanding the minds of our youth, bringing the wide knowledge of the world into their grasps and watching their eyes fill with wonder.”

“Oh! Yes, I see, a daycare.” You glance around at all the desks and learning toys. “I must say, I’ve never seen one that is so- well… educational!”

“That’s why the parents come to me, I think. My daycare isn’t just a babysitting service, I teach them things that the schools don’t. Sure, they learn maths and languages, but what about a love of arts? Appreciation for nature? Ancient history and future technologies? I want them to know that ‘there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy’!”

You recognize the quote from Shakespeare, and find yourself wishing you had had him as a teacher back in your day! So much passion, so much love for the children. It’s a refreshing experience and you are being caught up in it, already starting to sketch out some ideas.

“So, school area, bathrooms, kitchen,” you mumble as you go.

“Yes, yes! And play and nap areas,” he adds.

You look up and smile. “I think you - and your children - are going to be quiet happy.”
    • Create a daycare center with space for the following:
      1. Cafeteria
      2. Restrooms
      3. Learning area
      4. Play area
      5. Nap area
    • The layout should be mostly open to allow for one adult to oversee multiple children
    • Lot Size: no larger than 30x30
    • Budget: 99,000

Optional Challenge
    Create a household consisting of the owner of the daycare, one helper and at least 2 toddler daycare participants.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited April 2019
    @BuildnShare
    Because this is Sims 3, are we still able to do the room challenge? Just making sure :)
    And is the daycare 30x30 or the lot?
    Thanks!!

edited April 2019
    It's out-of-date, so I won't be making an entry form, but I was inspired by the Five-by-Five challenge in February (#211). The link to the album should be something like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/156838363@N05/albums/72157704401040602
    Post edited by Zincht on
    Zincht wrote: »
    It's out-of-date, so I won't be making an entry form, but I was inspired by the Five-by-Five challenge in February (#211). The link to the album should be something like this: http s://www.flickr.com/photos/156838363@N05/albums/72157704401040602

I like the build--but those stairs make it very elegant! Love the curved stairs!! Nice and open with plenty of windows for clear sight lines! Great job!

And great job to everyone who created houses for the Settlement for Simanity challenge! Loads of "Now why didn't I think to do that!" going on in my brain while I looked them over. :)
    iampes23 wrote: »
    @BuildnShare
    Because this is Sims 3, are we still able to do the room challenge? Just making sure :)
    Thanks!!

No room challenge for Sims 3 - just the optional challenge (fixed the front post, thanks!)

And the lot should be no larger than 30x30.

GArBA5W.jpg
    iampes23 wrote: »
    @BuildnShare
    Thanks!!

No room challenge for Sims 3 - just the optional challenge (fixed the front post, thanks!)

And the lot should be no larger than 30x30.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Does Mr. Gizinski need a living quarters or is this going to be a second lot he owns?
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    Does Mr. Gizinski need a living quarters or is this going to be a second lot he owns?

Based on having done this for Sims 4, this is strictly for the day care. No living quarters on this lot. I hope this helps!

Wow! This thread is sooooo quiet!!! I hope everyone is working hard! I think I finally got some inspiration for my daycare. Anyone else? Anyone need help or suggestions?
    I have a lot of inspiration, but I haven't had time to sit down at Sims and make it! The plans are on graph paper next to my computer...
    Zincht wrote: »
    I have a lot of inspiration, but I haven't had time to sit down at Sims and make it! The plans are on graph paper next to my computer...

Ahh...I have been doing floor plans for houses on graph paper long before I even played the sims! Nice to meet someone else who does it, too!

edited April 2019
    @Zincht and @iampes23 I used to travel around some with my husband when he was self-employed, and I kept graph paper in the car for just that purpose. :D Now, most I do is scribble* something crooked on the back on an envelope.

I won't be having a build this month - in the middle of too many other things - but I will be looking forward to seeing everyone else's.

*Edited to change squibble to scribble. lol You'd think I have auto correct.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Graph paper for the win... and drawing lines on any scratch paper avail works in a pinch (esp. when Hubby lets me know he is making an extra stop or two that I never nothing about).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top