Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Advising children & teens - parents only?

Hi all. Haven't written a forum post in forever. But thought I'd come back to rant about something that's bothered me. :D

I personally love that Parenthood introduced the ability for children and teens to ask adults for advice regarding kid/teen probs, and the calls they can get from the school, but what I don't love lies in the same sentence. Adults. Any young adult or older in a household is a candidate for kids and teens wanting advice, and they're all in the school's phonebook as well. Including sisters and uncles who don't have any kids and thus, no parenting skill! I am forever stuck only getting one option of advice, versus the three that the actual parents could give because their skill level is 10. I have a 2 in 6 chance of actually getting a parent in my current household. sigh

In my opinion, I feel like children and teens should only be able to receive advice from their actual parents. Or, if the devs still want to make it realistic (since I know kids don't always go to their parents in real life when they want advice) then choose the sim who has the next best parenting skill. I just don't like that it's automatically chosen, and you can't get out of the dialogue screen once it's there. You can try to stop the kid if you see the "ask for advice" queue up in the interactions, but you can never prevent the school calls, they'll go to whoever and you can't exit.

So yeah I'm not calling this a bug, just a general annoyance, so here it is in the idea forum, hoping someday maybe they'll tweak the advice system in an update.

"The softest echo could be enough for me to make it through."
♥♥♥
sims-traits.jpg

Comments

• Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I don't like how were getting calls during the day either and with what you said it's like...oh come on this is getting ridiculous calling every few minutes every time they go to school.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Calls should only go to the child’s parent or guardian, I agree.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yes, I think the calls make much more sense for parents/caregivers. I have one sim who has raised his niece from infancy and adopted her as care dependent, but the school still often call his roommate instead, which is just silly, particularly as he hardly knows her yet. I don't mind children/teens asking for advice from close adult friends, but if they aren't family or they don't have a close relationship then it doesn't add up to me either.