Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Replacing children?

So I have fallen into the habit of checking what my sims kids will look like as adults once they become toddlers. As many of you know the often get an unfortunate mix of traits from their parents.

So now I will just use cas to randomize a good looking kid and replace the toddler with the new one.

Dose anyone else do this? I kinda feel bad about it but at the same time like not having a bunch of scary looking sims around....

Comments

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I haven't replaced any children, but I have edited them in CAS, so I can understand why you do. My main sim couple adopted their baby, and once she became a toddler, I aged her up in CAS and made a few little tweaks before ageing her down again. This wasn't just to ensure she looked cute, but also to ensure she looked how I envisioned her in my head, e.g. blonde hair, blue eyes, freckles etc. and was now my own 'creation'. I often have a picture in my head of how my characters/sims look, so I will edit them if needed to get as close to that picture as possible.

I have another couple that I plan to have a daughter. It will be interesting to see how their genetics mix and come into play. They're both very beautiful, so their children should be beautiful too, but I'm not sure how true that is in The Sims world. I wouldn't replace her if she wasn't, but I might give the birth a few tries before saving until I'm happy with her. I wouldn't want to edit her face as I want her to look like her parents, but I might then change her body shape, hair and eye colour if needed (these would all still match one parent though). I later plan for her to have a son and want him to strongly resemble his grandfather, as this is a important part of the story. Therefore I might clone the grandfather if needed/the genetics aren't right and make the clone the father - I know that's pretty messed up, but if I do this I will delete the clone once the baby is born and make his father in CAS - perhaps using play with genetics first, then editing as needed. Something else I sometimes do, if I'm happy to skip the baby stage, is use play with genetics and give my couples children/toddlers in CAS. I hope in the future we will be able to create babies in this way too.
  • ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    I have definitely done this. For some reason, the sims has a habit of making all the new toddlers in my game redheads.... While I don’t dislike redheads, I also would like more variety in my game. So I tend to go and edit the kids to look more accurately like their parents.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited April 2019
    No, but not because of any altruism on my part. Its merely because I want to see the end result and I can't do that if I alter the progeny. I want to see how the end of a thing turns out (even if I have no clear cut idea when/why I might end a save.) Unfortunate looking sims don't necessarily always have unfortunate looking children. Sometimes the odd mix they either inherited or just randomly 'lucked' into, make all the difference in the next generation. :p
    I have definitely done this. For some reason, the sims has a habit of making all the new toddlers in my game redheads.... While I don’t dislike redheads, I also would like more variety in my game. So I tend to go and edit the kids to look more accurately like their parents.

Do you often use unnatural hair colors for your adults or cc hairs? This might be why you have many redheads. I find in my game that Non Maxis Match cc's or sims who have blue, green, or pink maxis default hairs often have redhead children for some reason. Not sure why... Its actually how I determine if a kid was supposed to have a specific sim's genetic markers. A red head gets born to a sim with green hair and a spouse with some other, non red hair, I figure was supposed to be green but since child and below sims can't have green pink or blue hair, it defaults to red.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Nah. I’m very strict with myself on keeping the genetics going in my game. When it comes to my own Sims, I don’t really edit their appearances.
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I do edit their faces most of the times, even if it's just small tweaks, but I never replace them with a completely different and random sim.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Well sometimes when you age them up in CAS they will look one way, but if go out of CAS and back in and repeat aging them up they most times than not look completely different from the first time you aged the child up. I know ive peeked on a few of my toddlers, like Paolo Rocco’s kids; the first time I aged his daughter up she was very “manly” looking inheriting his chin. So I went out and back in, and the second time she looked more like her mother, which was a relief. So it can be changed if you are unhappy with initial turn out.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I don't think I could replace a sim of any age once I've played with it a few minutes. Delete and forget, yes, but not replace with a new actor.
    To prevent that I hardly ever go through natural pregnancy. Most of my sims' offspring gets created via Play with genetics (as teens, so that I get a good impression of what they will look like, then aged down while still in CAS). I have a preference for sims who are a near-average mix of their parents, not fond of them looking too much like one of them only.

So, yes, I get where you are coming from!
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited April 2019
    I am usually fine with how they turn out and only very rarely change how they look.... Unless it's a total disaster in which case I make the few tweaks I need to, change the age back down to the toddler stage and voila :D Crisis averted. That being said, I actually almost never take a peek, so it's still really rare that this happens.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    JasonPogo wrote: »
    So I have fallen into the habit of checking what my sims kids will look like as adults once they become toddlers. As many of you know the often get an unfortunate mix of traits from their parents.

So now I will just use cas to randomize a good looking kid and replace the toddler with the new one.

Dose anyone else do this? I kinda feel bad about it but at the same time like not having a bunch of scary looking sims around....

Definitely. If weird looking enough. In this game apparently Lucy's genes (despite having a pointy cute chin) her genes decided that 90% of he children would have zero chin. Zero.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    Honestly, I didn't know one could do this until just now. So my answer would have to be no. :p

What I have done is check what the kiddo will look like in CAS, and tweak some features if needed. Can't find any pics, but had to do a serious overhaul on a friend of one of my Sims. Poor girl had no chin, but monstrous lips. Looked like a fish before I worked my magic.
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    edited April 2019
    I did this once when my legacy family had twins. I aged them up in cas when they became toddlers to see what they would look like- it turns out that they were identical twins and had the exact features of their dad. I wasn't having that, so I played with genetics until I found a sim that looked like a balanced mix of the parents, played with genetics to make an identical twin of his, and then aged them back into toddlers. I felt kinda weird and oddly guilty, but I ended up a lot happier. Here's a pic of the family:
    XURCw8j.png

But recently I've been really strict with myself in not changing the genetics of sims at all. I used to micromanage how my sims looked and it kinda made them end up all looking the same, which makes the game less fun for me. The heir for my decades legacy ended up with a kinda awkward mix of her parents genetics which I didn't like at first, but I've come to love her and I think she's so uniquely adorable!!
    Here's some pics:

acneytm.png?46DCDU3O.png?4
    Paolo Rocca's genes are pretty strong in that brow bone, and that tiny nose kinda makes her look like she just walked off set of the live action grinch o.o but I love her nonetheless *swoon*
  • ClassicSimsClassicSims Posts: 49 Member
    HDJSBJA I DO SOMETHING SIMILAR
    I turn on CAS.fulleditmode and edit them however I want, from scratch.
    But at least they conserve all their skills/relationship/jobs etc.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    JasonPogo wrote: »

I also do exactly that. I also feel kind of bad, but I prefer it to using plastic surgery on babies. I want to see a couple's actual offspring and, when you try enough, some of them look interesting and like actual people, with characteristics from both parents meshed harmoniously, rather than random mismatched features in vague sim shape.

It's a shame these rare gems don't show up more often in the game genetic lottery.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited April 2019
    Nah. I’m very strict with myself on keeping the genetics going in my game. When it comes to my own Sims, I don’t really edit their appearances.

This is me all the way. :lol: I have a bit of a rule in my game: "Whatever happens, happens" for most legacies. Now for random expansion testing, I might tweak townies..but not as much.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    I tend to age my toddlers up to young adults and tweak their genetics until they look acceptable enough to me, and age them back down, but this alters in some of my saves:

-My 100 Baby Challenge: No changing at all until they're YA and ready to age up and leave their home. The matriarch then gives them a full makeover via new clothes and a haircut to try and make them look as good as can be before venturing out into the world of adulthood. As a mum with a multitude of children to take care of at all times, she simply doesn't have time to worry about the kids hairdos, weird makeup experiments or clothing choices.

-Lovelace Legacy: No changing genetics at all, hair and clothes may be customised at any time. Since I'm more connected to the sims personally in this playthrough, I value seeing the genetics be carried through the generations etc. (Minus the current grandma who threw 150,000 simoleans away in return for some plastic surgery in an attempt to find a younger man since her late husband's passing)

-My remodelling save: I have a save where I briefly edit any sim or building that my sim visits that is dire need of help, whether through questionable fashion choices or sims that are begging for plastic surgery or just silly floorplans and interior/exterior design.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Nope. I can't bring myself to mess with a families genetics. Especially when i'm doing a legacy.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited April 2019
    Not really, I might change hair and eye colour. Or give them buck teeth (incidentally, we need buck teeth with a gap and less exaggerated uneven teeth in the game). Never do anything else, even if they have an unfortunate nose or chin.
    Post edited by WaytoomanyUIDs on
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    No. I really love to see results of genetics and even if it is an unfortunate mix I just let them be. Unless! It's a huge deformity like no chin for instance. Then when they grow up they will avail themselves of the newest technological advantage in cosmetic surgery, but I don't usually bother with anything else. Big noses, little noses, weird noses gets to stay, eyes that are maybe too close together or even too far apart get to stay, ears are left alone (yes even the dumbo ones), disporportionate faces are left alone and etc.

I might (read: will) trim eyebrows (and maybe even make them bushier) or maybe get rid of unibrows (and now that I think about it, does the game HAVE unibrows?) and definatly change hairstyles to ones that better suits their faces and/or makes them more attractive/cute and even change haircolor but that is it.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

This is me all the way. :lol: I have a bit of a rule in my game: "Whatever happens, happens" for most legacies. Now for random expansion testing, I might tweak townies..but not as much.

I guess it's different if you do an "Official" legacy. I never play anything like that, I just want good looking happy Sims.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek