Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Console Version Graphics

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited April 2019
    Deleted.
  • xtianxxtianx Posts: 128 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they don't cause to my own eyes the quality of the sims don't match up on pc. They still look blurry and I trust my own eyes better than some article. EA claimed the console versions was gonna be ultra and they were not so I don't trust that article either. But despite the sims being a bit blurry I still think it looks good enough on a tv a certain distance away.

Edit: I might be wrong on that one in regards to the Xbox one x and pro but the graphics are not ultra still despite it possibly having uncompressed textures as the shadows still looks very low res and edgesmoothing is at low.
    I just think the skin on the sims themselves still look grainy, which they don't do on my pc at max settings so that's why I'm not sure.

I’m playing on a PS4 Pro and on a very large very new 4K television, and I don’t see the graphics degradation / blurred, grainy textures, edge smoothing, etc. you’re seeing. I wonder if the results come down to one’s gaming vs. console hardware as well as television size, model, viewing distance, and television technology and capability. PC / Mac players have access to larger monitors but still sit much closer to them than a console player would, and coupled with the overall size of PC / Mac monitors being smaller in most cases than many average newer living room televisions, this could be a contributing factor. *shrugs* Just a theory.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    xtianx wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they don't cause to my own eyes the quality of the sims don't match up on pc. They still look blurry and I trust my own eyes better than some article. EA claimed the console versions was gonna be ultra and they were not so I don't trust that article either. But despite the sims being a bit blurry I still think it looks good enough on a tv a certain distance away.

Edit: I might be wrong on that one in regards to the Xbox one x and pro but the graphics are not ultra still despite it possibly having uncompressed textures as the shadows still looks very low res and edgesmoothing is at low.
    I just think the skin on the sims themselves still look grainy, which they don't do on my pc at max settings so that's why I'm not sure.

I’m playing on a PS4 Pro and on a very large very new 4K television, and I don’t see the graphics degradation / blurred, grainy textures, edge smoothing, etc. you’re seeing. I wonder if the results come down to one’s gaming vs. console hardware as well as television size, model, viewing distance, and television technology and capability. PC / Mac players have access to larger monitors but still sit much closer to them than a console player would, and coupled with the overall size of PC / Mac monitors being smaller in most cases than many average newer living room televisions, this could be a contributing factor. *shrugs* Just a theory.

Not likely since I did the comparisons on a 4k pc monitor but whatever really xD I said I could be wrong about the sims textures but shadows are definitely not at max and edgesmoothing isn't either.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sim textures are definitely better in the pro. That is a fact. It was added in on a patch. The article I linked earlier will confirm what month it was for anyone wanting to check the patch notes where the devs referenced it.

On my pro in my 4K tv the game looks great. I play on the pc and even on our gaming rigs with excellent graphics cards there’s not a huge world of difference between them. Assuming you aren’t using lighting mods or reshade to make the pc game look better. But the sims 4 is not a graphically demanding game. There are many, many better looking and better performing games out there for console. I don’t see why the devs would lie about the graphics settings.
    xtianx wrote: »

I think it does help. My Pro is hooked up to a 65 inch 4K tv with HDR. All games look brilliant. My pc monitor is 27 inches. When my niece brings round the sims 4 she loves it because for her it’s the screen size that makes it great. I don’t think she cares about frame rates and textures and if the game has HDR and I have to admit when I’ve saw the sims 4 on console it looks great. It doesn’t look fuzzy or blurry. When I’ve saw her playing it on her own console and tv it looks good but not as good as her tv isn’t 4K.
    edited April 2019
    It's not ultra, sure I can admit I was wrong on the sim quality but it's a FACT that the shadow resolution is set to 1024 and not 2048 and that itself makes it less than ultra and edgesmoothing is set to low. A 4k tv helps with edges but the same xbox one x or pro on a 1080p tv would reveal the jaggies easier so yes a 4k tv does make a difference but it doesn't change settings.
    I’m curious to know though,

Where was the news confirmed about shadow resolution and edge smoothing? I’ve only ever saw the devs say it was set to ultra. And I can’t seem to find a side by side comparison between pc and console. Not saying console is better than pc, I just have never saw it said anywhere except on this thread the more finer details about the graphics of the console. My niece isn’t here so I can’t check and I’m the first to admit I don’t sit and stare at the screen when she has been playing.
    edited April 2019

Where was the news confirmed about shadow resolution and edge smoothing? I’ve only ever saw the devs say it was set to ultra. And I can’t seem to find a side by side comparison between pc and console. Not saying console is better than pc, I just have never saw it said anywhere except on this thread the more finer details about the graphics of the console. My niece isn’t here so I can’t check and I’m the first to admit I don’t sit and stare at the screen when she has been playing.

They said it was set to ultra and I saw it was not. There are no official words from the devs where they say the exact settings. I have done my own very thorough comparisons and I do this a lot as a hobby (I should work for digital foundry lol)
    Lying about graphical qualities is a VERY common thing in the industry and every dev is the same as the other in that aspect. They want to sell the game. The game is NOT at all set to the very max quality. When I compare shadow res and edgesmoothing it is night and day difference and it is also a common complaint I've seen about the console versions. A 4k TV would eliminate jaggies despite edgesmoothing being set to low but try the pro version on a 1080p tv and you'll see it isn't ultra.

Edit- it still looks great anyway so happy simming! Oh and btw, does anyone know when mouse and keyboard support is coming? I heard somewhere they are gonna patch that in.

They said it was set to ultra and I saw it was not. There are no official words from the devs where they say the exact settings. I have done my own very thorough comparisons and I do this a lot as a hobby (I should work for digital foundry lol)
    Lying about graphical qualities is a VERY common thing in the industry and every dev is the same as the other in that aspect. They want to sell the game. The game is NOT at all set to the very max quality. When I compare shadow res and edgesmoothing it is night and day difference and it is also a common complaint I've seen about the console versions. A 4k TV would eliminate jaggies despite edgesmoothing being set to low but try the pro version on a 1080p tv and you'll see it isn't ultra.

Edit- it still looks great anyway so happy simming! Oh and btw, does anyone know when mouse and keyboard support is coming? I heard somewhere they are gonna patch that in.

Legacy says their working on keyboard and mouse now and will give more info as they get closer to release.

Legacy says their working on keyboard and mouse now and will give more info as they get closer to release.

Can't wait for that =D
  • StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    edited April 2019
    Bearpal64 wrote: »
    I'm just curious what graphics setting do you think the Sims 4 for console is set to? I feel it looks great but sometimes I feel I've seen pictures or videos where the game looks way better. :)

Console has its own graphics setup. It’s supposedly PC Ultra, but it’s not exactly. All of their promotional pictures are taken with the PC game.

I was told it's ultra, it's the textures i think that look slightly off and blurry. It's not as crisp as it is on pc. Pc looks better. They have improved the textures on sims but I wish they would do the same for the world and objects.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    That’s why I am sticking with the PC version if consoles can’t have mods to fix the blurry distance issues.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    I'm just curious what graphics setting do you think the Sims 4 for console is set to? I feel it looks great but sometimes I feel I've seen pictures or videos where the game looks way better. :)

Console has its own graphics setup. It’s supposedly PC Ultra, but it’s not exactly. All of their promotional pictures are taken with the PC game.

I was told it's ultra, it's the textures i think that look slightly off and blurry. It's not as crisp as it is on pc. Pc looks better. They have improved the textures on sims but I wish they would do the same for the world and objects.

With the pro textures shouldn't be blurry should they? Eg Myshuno City from the penthouses and apartments?

With the pro textures shouldn't be blurry should they? Eg Myshuno City from the penthouses and apartments?

That has nothing to do with the textures though, blurry backgrounds and distant objects are a post process effect called depth of field and it's enabled on all the consoles. Texture on sims are sharper on the pro and X but everything else is the same.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Even though consoles uses GPUs and CPUs they are tailored for each system and not as customizable as it is for PCs. I am pleased with the graphics that are visible on consoles compared to consoles of yesteryear and going forward consoles graphics custonization may be possible outside of switchable graphic cards(which may not be possible for some generations) The line between PC and console are starting to blur.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Even though consoles uses GPUs and CPUs they are tailored for each system and not as customizable as it is for PCs. I am pleased with the graphics that are visible on consoles compared to consoles of yesteryear and going forward consoles graphics custonization may be possible outside of switchable graphic cards(which may not be possible for some generations) The line between PC and console are starting to blur.

And next week it supports mouse and keyboard so even better =D
    edited April 2019

It's not as bad on sims as if used to be, they have improved sim textures but not object textures. The textures on objects are blurry still to me and are not as crisp as they are on pc. I was hoping this would be sorted after the sim textures.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I hope they can alter the textures for consoles one day ^_^
    Since PS4 Pro is 4k will 1080 make Sims 4 look good or do I need a 4k monitor.?
    Since PS4 Pro is 4k will 1080 make Sims 4 look good or do I need a 4k monitor.?

The game is not in 4k so don't go and buy a 4k screen for the sims 4.
    Last I heard they only improved the sim textures and kept it 1080p.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    4K or not I'm just glad to have a console version of the Sims that is basically the same as the original PC version ^_^ (not that I didn't love Sims busting out and the Sims 2/3 console releases)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I believe you are referring to the tilt shift blur. That is a graphical feature of the game. It should still be on the pro.

I've never noticed with the city but I find houses can look blurry if you back away from them a little which I do to take pics of the house I just built.
    I hope they can alter the textures for consoles one day ^_^

Agreed
  • MarcosMarcos Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > Idk but I wish there was a way to make the text on the screen bigger! I feel like I have to sit super close to the screen to read it.

I completely agree with you! In my bedroom I play on PS4 with a 32-inch TV, and reading the texts from bed is practically impossible for me! And that directly affects my gaming experience. I wish that at some point they include the PC function "UI Scale" but there are not even rumors about it. What could be more important than being able to read the texts of a game ?!