Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TJ Streak's Blog

I have re-opened my blog which has been closed for abut five years. https://tjstreakssims.blogspot.com/

I lost interest in the Sims when EA announced the Sims 4. It became apparent the EA was simply going to repeat all of the mistakes it made with the Sims 3, and was planning on releasing a dumbed down version of the Sims.

My blog has links to my shell buildings, trains, aircraft on other decorative items. The links may or may not still work. No guarantees.

However, the most valuable part are the instructions on converting FSX and X-Plane objects into Sims objects. These objects should work for Prepar3d as well. The flight simulator objects are the same scale as Sims 3 objects, more or less.

Years ago, I got tired of all the whining and complaining from the Sims 3 community. Making objects, and more importantly, figuring out how to make them took an incredible amount of time and effort. If that time and effort is not respected, I have no obligation or desire to share that work.

Comments

• Options
    KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    Thank you - people ask about your creations all the time!
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited April 2019
    I can understand being put off by 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and by the TS3 community but maybe there's enough appreciative people to make it worthwhile? Anyway, thanks very much for your sharing what you have done in the past.
    Btw, I randomly checked a couple of downloads and they were still downloadable. :)
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    Time permitting, I may pull out my old Rain City world. I never finished it, and never really intended to finish it. However, it was playable. What I liked about it is that it had a number of distinct neighborhoods. There was the downtown area with highrise apartments and brownstone. There was a middle class neighborhood with average homes. There was a lower middle class neighborhood with ticky tacky little homes and duplexes. There was a large trailer park. There was also a large apartment complex. I had a run down area which was inhabited primarily by vampires (and similar riff raff). I had an island (Money Island) with wealthy mansions, and a high class shopping area. I had a small rural community, and I had a large rural area with farms. Finally, I had wilderness complete along with lodges and campgrounds (and a nectary). I large lake was in the center of the world, which was connected to the sea by a canal which ran through the city and which boats could use (but I never finished the marina.)

The world flaunted custom content, much of which was made by me, included a floating bridge, a suspension bridge, several tunnels, railroad lines, a monorail (pre-future where I just used subway stations), custom rabbit hole buildings, many shell buildings, incluidng a collection of skyscrapers (big tall skyscrappers!), deco shopping centers including a Wal-Mart, an industrial area where toxic waste was stored and zombies lived.

While I was working on it, I ran a number of different families in different parts of town.

If I had continued to work on it, I would definitely add a marina. Since we now have ferris wheels, merry go rounds, roller coasters, etc, I would add an amusement area -- perhaps with a dark ride using the roller coaster and some Halloween decor.
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    Many years ago (like 2012) I posted a progress report on Rain City: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/546217/rain-city-progress

I stopped working on it in 2011, for the most part. EA's plans for the Sims 4 really killed my interest in working on what was basically an orphan game.

Plus EA's CAW tools was half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and never completed. I suspect it is still in beta, even if it is still available. Many things never worked right.
    Plus, it tends to screw things up when making more and more revisions. I never fully caught up with all the expansions.

Rain City is probably archived somewhere on one of my old hard drives. If I every find it, I may upload it.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    From what you have described it would be lovely if you felt inclined to finish Rain City. I will say CAW is still in beta and you will need to be careful to download the compatible version depending on how you load your game. I have heard talk of a SuperCAW but I am not ready to find out more about that yet. If you ask in the CAW tools section I am sure someone can point you to a download and perhaps explain a bit more about it.

More importantly welcome back :) There is so much in TS3 to explore I am still finding new things to try even now. Happy simming :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    tjstreak wrote: »
    EA's plans for the Sims 4 really killed my interest in working on what was basically an orphan game.

Perhaps not so much an "orphan" but finished as far as EA was concerned. They certainly could have done a better job (e.g. 64 bit) but it's still worthwhile in my opinion, particularly with the continued support of all the modders out there who keep making it better.

What you have done with Rain City so far is quite impressive and I encourage you to work on it if you are so inclined.

Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    crashley17842crashley17842 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm so happy to see that you're back!! Your CAW stuff is awesome! I do have a question about the amazing "forest" trees you have (for distant terrain)... If I wanted to slice those objects up in order to have smaller clusters of trees available to use in addition to the large spans, any tips on how I could do that? I'm using the riverview DT in my world but want it to be more forested, and your forests are the ticket! But they're so large that it's impossible to make clusters on distant hills and in smaller areas. I'm really trying to learn how to do object creation and modding myself, but it's an unending struggle.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited June 2020
    tjstreak wrote: »
    I have re-opened my blog which has been closed for abut five years. https://tjstreakssims.blogspot.com/

I lost interest in the Sims when EA announced the Sims 4. It became apparent the EA was simply going to repeat all of the mistakes it made with the Sims 3, and was planning on releasing a dumbed down version of the Sims.

My blog has links to my shell buildings, trains, aircraft on other decorative items. The links may or may not still work. No guarantees.

However, the most valuable part are the instructions on converting FSX and X-Plane objects into Sims objects. These objects should work for Prepar3d as well. The flight simulator objects are the same scale as Sims 3 objects, more or less.

Years ago, I got tired of all the whining and complaining from the Sims 3 community. Making objects, and more importantly, figuring out how to make them took an incredible amount of time and effort. If that time and effort is not respected, I have no obligation or desire to share that work.

Freakin' HALLELUJAH...

THANK YOU!!!!

As a 50 year old simmer, I am grateful to you for doing this as it takes a lot of effort and I just don't have that brain-function any longer to to try to figure out Blender.

As per what happened in the past, I have no idea as to what went on as I came on the Sims 3 scene in early 2017. I have no desire to delve deep into the muck that has happened previously or dig up old garbage that went on and I have little patience for it as my age increases and my patience level drops in inverse proportion. Just ask my wife @Featherbelle as to just how cranky I get.

I've always had a deep fascination with aircraft and the fact that you have taken the time to convert X-Plane and FSX aircraft is deeply appreciated on my part.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~