March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot Restore Ghost

So I've been playing Sims 3 since its initial release. There are still many things I haven't seen before, which even includes the one-year anniversary for any event. I thought that was in Generations only, but the post I just looked at said Generations improved them, rather than introduced them for the first time.
Until this week, another thing I had never seen before is the popup: "The ghost of [First name] [Last name] has finally lost [gender] grip on the mortal realm. [Gender] may leave the Netherworld occasionally to visit, but cannot be restored."
I had never seen this before, and I'm talking 2009. My ghost has "lost her grip on the mortal realm" maybe five times this week. Her parents never have. Neither have her siblings, husband, or parents-in-law. Is that just another common, run-of-the-mill problem that occurs in The Sims 3?
Be safe.

Comments

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited April 2019
    I don’t know! I mean, the returning to the netherworld is a ghostly feature in the game, and I think it is determined by aging, so the time period settings, and perhaps also the other variables for dying of old age, like the percentage chance of dying every day for an elder with a full age bar. But perhaps the unplayed playable ghosts get culled too, with this description; in one gamesave in Aurora Skies my single household sim was friends with the whole town including the Olsson household, and when Oskar and Emil one after the other both lost their grip on this realm my sim brought them back, but once again one was drawn to the netherworld and I let it happen.

It sounds as if you are reverting to a previous save, because binding a ghost with the Life Time Reward Philosopher's Stone sets their age bar back to its beginning in the age group they are in. To bind them the ghost's graves need to be placed out in the world, it could not detect the graves inside the mausoleum in the grave yard, when I just tested it in Sunset Valley in the Agnes Crumplebuttom household. I bound Erik Darling, the ghost in the garden, to the household, drowned Agnes (sorry), and moved in Gobias Koffi who died by old age shortly afterwards due to my short time settings. I gave Agnes a LTR Age Freeze, once an elder, which froze her aging. Koffi has lost his grip twice so far, and has been brought back; and even if Erik's age bar is full he is hanging on. I am letting the game run and have added Simis Bachelor to the household now, bound as a ghost. They all come back from the Other Realm with a book, very interesting.

Edit: Koffi just lost it again. The book: "Woohoo in the Wastelands".

The maximum of ghosts in unmodded game is 15, I am guessing materialized ones, if that would mean anything in your world, although I am not sure if playable ghosts are counted to this or how it really works.

The one year anniversary notification I usually notice when a sim has had a rabbithole work for a sim year, which actually does not happen that often the way I play. The marriage anniversaries is the same I think, so tied to the day in the season they got married, and they will get a moodlet for the day, as well as a notification, but I do not play marriages a lot.
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited April 2019
    The maximum of ghosts in unmodded game is 15, I am guessing materialized ones, if that would mean anything in your world, although I am not sure if playable ghosts are counted to this or how it really works.
    That is for the number of ghosts for the Ambitions Ghost Hunter Career.

Playable Resident Ghosts and Graveyard Ghosts are not the same thing and there is no limit to how many there can be in a world.

I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
    @ScottDemon Thank you. I saw it in the XML Urnstone as well as in BabyDragon. I have not played the career Ghost hunter.

edited April 2019
    @ScottDemon Thank you. I saw it in the XML Urnstone as well as in BabyDragon. I have not played the career Ghost hunter.

That number in the Urnstone XML is for how many Graveyard Ghosts will spawn from their tombstone and wander around not how many that can actually be in the world.

Most of the games default worlds have more than 20 graveyard ghosts.
    edited April 2019
    @ScottDemon Thank you. And the babydragon, is that a max on how many the red one can summon, to be at the lot at the same time?

Edit: Sorry, the black dragon summons ghosts.
    edited April 2019
    @ScottDemon Thank you. And the babydragon, is that a max on how many the red one can summon, to be at the lot at the same time?

That would how many it can summon in the world at one time yes.
    Whether or not it actually can don't really know haven't played with the baby dragons.
    I will test it tomorrow, thank you!