We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims can not go to university?

Every time I try to go to university on this one family, it will make it so that my Sims loads up university, but it has it set up like I am making a new family. On the Sims 3 forum it said to take out certain files in your Sims 3 file on your computer, it said to take out one with University in the name. The only games that had university in the name, was the only family I have gotten to go to university. It said it could be a family tree corruption, but the one Sim I had problems with I moved out, and my Sim STILL didn't go to university. It is working with literally all my other families but the one family I want the kid to go to University. She just graduated (she actually graduated, she has a high school degree), and she did not go to boarding school so I have no idea what is wrong. I have no mods, and the only custom content I have is clothes, hair, and furniture. I barely have any hair ones (I have two) and I have maybe 20 adult female clothes at most, and like 25 furniture custom content, so I don't have much. I am only trying to send 2 Sims out of a seven Sim household. Please help me, I really want my Sims to be able to go to university!

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
  • glassesgirl11glassesgirl11 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited April 2015
    @ceejay402 I saw that post, I tried using the solutions on it, such as deleting certain files, but I had no files with the word university on them except for the Sims I have had gone to university, but it was on a different family. I have also tried using only one Sim, and that did not work. I also tried moving out a Sim with what I think was a corrupt family tree, it still did not work. I also tried moving the Sims I wanted to a completely new house and then going to enroll, but that still did not work. University works for all my other families, just not this one.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    In your current saved games folder, you should see a file with the name of your sim's hometown plus some hex codes, ending in the extension .nhd. If any sim within the history of this saved game has gone to Uni, you should also see a file called Sims University plus some hex codes, again ending in the extension nhd. That second one is the Uni World file for the place your sim is having trouble landing in. On a renamed copy of your saved game folder (so nothing gets disturbed in the real one), try pulling out the Sims University nhd file. You can pull out the small export package file too, that doesn't really matter. When you attempt travel to Uni again, a new nhd will be created. See if you can arrive there successfully.

This will be fresh copy of the Uni World, with every building and all the sims as they originally existed the first time. That may or may not be important to you, but this is just a test to see if they can arrive there at all. You can choose whether to play forward or not once you get there.

The only reason such an nhd file would not exist at all would be if your current game has never seen Uni.

I know you said that you are not using mods, but the combination of NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap work to prevent glitches like this. My sims travel all over like maniacs, and there have been one or two dicey situations in arrival over the years, but I've never had an issue getting to and from Uni World in an ongoing (three year old) legacy style game with these in place to smooth out the transition bumps.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor my Sims on this family has not seen university, this would have been my first people to go to university on this game, so it is not there. I was thinking about installing mods, but I have no ideas how to mod, so I don't.
    edited April 2015
    There is one more thing I can think of for you to try. It's possible that your system resource usage is spiking too high during the travel transition just from that one world. Try turning all of your graphics settings down to the bare ugly minimum under Game Options, uncheck Enable Advanced Rendering, and log out so that you are from that point playing offline if you weren't already. Save (As) and then Quit TS3 completely. Clear your game folder's 4-5 cache files and Reload. Then try to travel to Uni again right after the game starts up.

It will look awful if you are used to using higher settings, but this is just temporary. Whether you land in Uni successfully or not, you can then put the settings back the way you like them.

As for mods, here is an illustrated guide to setting up the Framework to accept mods with a download link that includes what you need. It also comes with two simple ones to test the folder structure once you have it in place (All NoIntro does, for example, is stop the EA movie from playing when you startup your game).
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

The three mods I had been talking about are available from our site.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited June 2015
    Wow, I am now obsessed with modding so I have changed a lot since this post.
    Perhaps I should have warned you as to how addictive mods can become once you get going with them? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IUSeekBritneyIUSeekBritney Posts: 16 Member
    I've never been to the world before and my sims never study befre and they don't show up, also I don't use any CC and my game handles the perfect graphic settings without any problem, everything goes perfetc, just this won't work in my game :/
    edited July 2015
    I've never been to the world before and my sims never study befre and they don't show up, also I don't use any CC and my game handles the perfect graphic settings without any problem, everything goes perfetc, just this won't work in my game :/
    The above-mentioned suggestions and the three mods suggested might very well help as they did for the OP. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IUSeekBritneyIUSeekBritney Posts: 16 Member
    [quote="igazor;13861832"][quote="IUSeekBritney;13861800"]I've never been to the world before and my sims never study befre and they don't show up, also I don't use any CC and my game handles the perfect graphic settings without any problem, everything goes perfetc, just this won't work in my game :/[/quote]
    The above-mentioned suggestions and the three mods suggested might very well help as they did for the OP. :) [/quote]

I just installed all three of those mods. They're packages so I put them in the mods map ''packages'' along with the no intro and no sparks one. But I have to start a new family which really sucks tho, it's been a year since I played with a family and then this
    edited July 2015
    I just installed all three of those mods. They're packages so I put them in the mods map ''packages'' along with the no intro and no sparks one. But I have to start a new family which really sucks tho, it's been a year since I played with a family and then this
    All mods are package files, as opposed to CC which can be either package or sims3packs. It sounds like you did this correctly.

But you should have been able to continue with your ongoing game and its active family. Does something awful happen if you load up the saved game with the three mods now in place?

If the game save does work but you still can't get them to arrive in Uni, try removing the saved game's TravelDB.package file (move it out to your desktop in case that make things worse and you have to put it back) and its Sims University nhd file, if it has one. They might be damaged from the prior unsuccessful attempts to travel and new ones will be generated on the next travel attempt.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    Solution: I know that this was a veryyyy long time ago but if anyone is still searching the internet (like me aha) to try and find a solution, here is how I achieved it. I created duplicates of the town that I wanted to send the sims to university in three times because sometimes the file freaks out deletes the current household for some reason which you don't want. I then went it to the new town that I duplicated and then changed the graphics to the default graphics (which look very bad and low, I got this idea from one of these posts). Lowering the graphics makes it easier to load the university without your computer freaking out. If this doesn't work, try try try again because it took me a while as well. Hope this helps at least someone out there :)
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey there! Thanks for the solution, it's great you want to help other people who might be stuck on this problem! That in mind try in future not to post in super super old threads. Considering this has been inactive since 2015 I'm going to go ahead and close it. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top