Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When do my poor Sims stop having fires?

My rotational project involves four households.

First household (single YA male) lived in the gremlins apartment which caused the repair serviceman to be electrocuted. Just lucky my active Sim was able to pled with Grimm. Then, during a version of Guy Fawkes, he lit some fireworks and had them backfire {which results in soot covered Sims in need of a shower}. >:)

Second household had a dryer malfunction. There was no “Clean Lint Tray”, but the dryer caught fire. Glad no one was killed.

Third household managed to avoid any disasters so far. o:)

But the fourth household (two YA females) has had TWO oven fires while cooking. I was sooo disappointed with the second when it cost them their Thanksgiving turkey/Grand Meal. Couldn’t readily afford to replace the oven either. :#

So when do my Sims stop putting themselves in mortal danger? LOL

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hmm, sounds like you need some incense and a fire pit for the third household...
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Time for skill books! I make my sims wait to have dryers until they have enough handiness skill to make those appliances safer and they are absolutely not allowed to make anything that involves the cooker until they have read some books on it. They get very tired of garden salads :D

Even then, they still manage to electrocute themselves by standing in puddles and doing electronics or misfiring firecrackers... It never ends *sigh* ;)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    You're game is far more exciting in regards to disasters than mine! Even when my sims were low-skilled in cooking I've had very few fires, and was always able to handle them quickly and effectively. I did have one household when LD first came out the dryer started on fire because the maid didn't clean the lint tray. She started on fire and nearly all my sims ran into that tiny room to freak out about the fire. I was so afraid they'd all die, but luckily I was able to maneuver them and put the fire out; even saved the maid's life. In most of the rest of my households the most dramatic thing that happens is someone having an affair.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    Your sims sound a lot more disaster prone than mine too! My main sim is one of those annoying perfectionist types who are always unfairly good at everything they do though. Plus he's a vampire, so I don't have to worry about his mortality, thankfully. I also recommend building on cooking and handiness and upgrading objects to avoid further incidents happening. You can also complete the Freelance Botanist aspiration to achieve the Naturalist reward trait, which makes your sim immune to fire and able to extinguish it with ease. I would love more 'dangerous stuff' to happen and be added to the game though.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    Hmm, sounds like you need some incense and a fire pit for the third household...

I almost forgot there are more ways to start a fire. (Thought my Sims had it pretty covered).

duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    They get very tired of garden salads :D
    Even then, they still manage to electrocute themselves by standing in puddles and doing electronics or misfiring firecrackers... It never ends *sigh* ;)

I normally do garden salads and cereal for my new Sims too; there was just something about this many Sims made me forget.
    Hopefully it does stop, bit worried about prematurely losing one of my Simmies next time.

Glad you saved the maid @ShadyLady89. It’s a bit hard when you don’t control them (service Sims) isn’t it?

I’m all for a few surprises @annaliese39, but something about random fires when they are just starting out, I don’t know, Give me a nice, safe Sim like yours anytime.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I have had some fires in my households ( I make and play many of them by rotating also). It does get costly! I kinda gave up on the washer and dryer, they usually cause the most fires in mine. Now they struggle to do it the old fashioned way with the tub and the clothesline :D

As far as the apartment, that is probably the one that you can take the "Gremlins" trait off the lot and put another one on it, or leave it empty!
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    You could try getting your sim's handiness skill up to a good high level (level 8 minimum to be practical) then have them upgrade the appliances that catch fire. Also make sure you install fire alarms and the sprinkler system.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Just order pizza and get Kawaiistacie's explore mod and go out for donuts or chinese lol :smiley:
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I remember back in the Pinstar's Legacy Challenge I took up, that one of the siblings of a much later heir (might have been Gen.8) was rather prone to fires. I seem to have just such a Sim back again, too. She's not really skilled at cooking. I'm lucky I could have her route to safety. Or, I'd be really upset. She was the new wife of my Global Superstar when the StrangerVille patch dropped. I made some player errors and the Road to Fame mod I was using broke. After I installed the updated version, my game save appeared to be corrupted. In further testing it, it was my Superstar who was corrupted (the Sim itself). This led to a very long trail of getting him back in a brand new save to Global Superstar. Once he was close, I moved in the remake of his wife had them elope. I took them into cas.fulleditmode and created their toddler son. This has taken lots of time. Just to learn we have yet another Mod-Busting patch set to drop tomorrow.

But, the best way to ensure a lack of fires is to gain cooking skill and upgrade the fireplaces to fire-proof. Other than that, I can't say.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    I tend to do salad's only until my sim is level 3 in cooking or higher. That plus upgrading fireplaces and dryers should make fires on the home lot rare or never. Beware visiting other lots, though as many townies have 0 for cooking and most of my sim's friends will happily light their kitchen on fire while visiting them in the early game.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    At least my Sims are not alone! ;)

To continue the saga -rotated back to the second household (the one with kids and not just YA/s). They have a (male) maid to help keep things tidy, what with the two children.

The maid started a (second) fire with the (new) dryer. :s
    I’m not even going to put that one in my blog, because it didn’t last long and no real harm done. It did upset the toddler a bit though -she is sad.
    The funny part was the smelly, sooty maid cleaning up the floor afterwards. And soldiering on with his job.
    Wasn’t quite sure whether to give him a tip for his trouble/perseverance or fire him for causing the fire in the first place.
    (It IS kinda his fault because I imagine he didn’t clean the lint tray).

Definitely time for some handiness skill and some upgrades. I wonder if you can upgrade your neighbours/friends appliances?