Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is my GTX 1050 Ti too slow for Sims 4?

I have a mid-range gaming PC that can run SkyrimSE and GTA 5 great on high setting, but playing in San Myshuno is slow for me, I mean moving around in this city is sluggish! Other worlds seems fine though, it's noticeable mostly in San Myshuno..is this normal?
I have GTX 1050 Ti and i7-7700 with 16 GB Ram and I dont have script or heavy mods, just very few mods and I always delete the cache..

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    San Myshuno has performance issues. This is acknowledged by the developers, though I believe I read in one of the recent patch notes that it had been improved.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Definitely not your computer. Even an i9-9820X paired with an RTX 2080ti could still have these problems. It's the game in this case.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    San Myshuno has performance issues. This is acknowledged by the developers, though I believe I read in one of the recent patch notes that it had been improved.
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Definitely not your computer. Even an i9-9820X paired with an RTX 2080ti could still have these problems. It's the game in this case.

I hope this doesn't turn into Sims 3 issues all over again..
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    graventhe wrote: »

It really better not. Especially everything we had to give up; open world, CASt, create a world, etc...
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm hoping the Developers can fix the issue with Myshuno and the graphics issue with Del Sol Valley. The gurus have confirmed they were able to produce the graphics issues of the city of DSV while viewed from the Pennticles.
  • Options
    veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    Nope, not at all. I'm running on GTX 850M Laptop. Game works fine despite I'm using mods and CC.
    On the other hand, San Myshuno has some issues I guess. The festival thing and constantly changing outdoor setting (foodstalls, service NPCs and stuff) cause some glitches and bugs which is probably the reason of some lag in San Myshuno.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

It really better not. Especially everything we had to give up; open world, CASt, create a world, etc...

This is literally how I feel... The Sims 4 seems to be heading down the same route as Sims 3 did in terms of performance issues. It's just taking a bit longer to get there. When the game was originally released, I remember the developers constantly saying how it's purposely designed this way to perform better than Sims 3 (especially on lower end computers). Meanwhile, even this game is starting to have major performance issues... even if you're playing on a PC that would otherwise be great at running modern day games on the highest settings.

At least Sims 3 had open world and CAST to use as scapegoats for the performance issues. Sims 4 literally has no excuses. Especially since the developers constantly claim the game was intended to be designed for lower end machines. In reality, we're beginning to realize that these games are just being horribly optimized... open world and CAST weren't the culprits for Sims 3's performance issues. It was the lack of optimization from the developers.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I have the same lag with other big worlds too such as Windenburg and Brindleton Bay.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    I have some lag in San Myshuno too and it's not my grafic card either an GTX 960.

Some advice don't use the fastest speed in San Myshuno, because it will always cause lag there and the lag is getting worse the more you use the fastest speed setting there.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    No problem with GTX 960 mostly 60fps, but then I used a lot of mods probably few of them is supposed to improve performance but I don't remember.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I've got the 1030 with no problems. But like @izecson says, I use mods so they may improve things like lag.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I have the 750ti and my game runs fine.... 1050ti should eat it for breakfast.
  • Options
    VieraRedMageVieraRedMage Posts: 42 Member
    I have a mid-range gaming PC that can run SkyrimSE and GTA 5 great on high setting, but playing in San Myshuno is slow for me, I mean moving around in this city is sluggish! Other worlds seems fine though, it's noticeable mostly in San Myshuno..is this normal?
    I have GTX 1050 Ti and i7-7700 with 16 GB Ram and I dont have script or heavy mods, just very few mods and I always delete the cache..
    Yeah, it's definitely not your computer hardware being too slow, not with parts as new as those. My pc is maybe half as powerful as yours (an old i5-2400 from 2011, GTX 950 FTW, same 16GB RAM) & can't run games that require a CPU newer than the likes of Dragon Age Inquisition: Trespasser DLC (so no ME: Andromeda on this dinosaur), but I am able to run all Dragon Age and TS4 on max settings without any serious lag (e.g. framerates under 30fps, though I should probably note I don't/can't play 60fps+ because of motion sickness/migraine issues, so ymmv on what is considered laggy). I'm somewhat obsessive about micromanaging my computer's efficiency, though, so that probably factors in majorly.

That being said, it's most likely a mix of the game's own issues (esp. large open areas + weather) combined with the resource-hogging issues Windows has been notorious for since the Sims 2 days. (Back in the TS2 days the little manual that came with each game/expansion disc actually had a dedicated section on how to use Windows Task Manager to close the unnecessary background stuff Windows runs by default, like a little secret how-to. It was always really satisfying to check and close something like 20 unneeded background tasks to get my TS2 loading lightning-fast at least until my 20GB of cc loaded around Re-Reticulating Splines, anyway lol). If you know how to use Windows Task Manager, I'd suggest making sure not a lot else unneeded is running when you launch TS4, specifically checking to see what's using a lot of CPU and addressing it from that point (note that System Idle Process is supposed to be a big number - it basically just means how much CPU is unused). Task Manager itself is pretty basic, but the tab you want in there is called Details, and you want to click the column labeled CPU to sort by that usage (Highest to Lowest).

CAVEAT: If you are not familiar with Task Manager or what processes are critical and which are bloat, don't delete/close things without knowing what is what -- there are plenty of helpful tutorials on reputable tech sites that can explain it very easily & which are also much more reliable than random Youtubes essentially suggesting computer lobotomies. If you're not tech savvy at all, I'd suggest asking a friend or relative or coworker who is to help you, don't just tinker blindly.

Advanced/micromanaging stuff, not beginner advice --
    If you're well-versed in Task Manager & know what you're doing with Windows, you may want to consider adjusting some Priorities (CPU, not life lol). On pc startup I set TaskManager to Realtime, DesktopWindowsManager (dwm.exe) to Low, and once TS4 is launched I set that to AboveNormal & any instance of Origin to BelowNormal or Low (making sure I disabled Origin In-Game bc it's annoyingly laggy). I also tweaked my Services to be more bare-bones & as streamlined for speed as possible, since it's my ancient CPU that's killing me. It may be a little overkill and micromanage-y of an approach, but it does seem to help enough to be worth it compared to plain vanilla bootup and game launching. Ymmv though, so meh.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I do not think it is your video card as others are saying, looking at this type of game it can be an number of issues such as lack of tweaking, increase of cache(which you do delete often), bugs and glitches showing Sims 4 is not optimized as it should have been. Being Sims 4 does not scale to any specs that is present that does not contribute much unless it is something really old.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm hoping the Developers can fix the issue with Myshuno and the graphics issue with Del Sol Valley. The gurus have confirmed they were able to produce the graphics issues of the city of DSV while viewed from the Pennticles.

This is on the island in Windenburg and I've had the issue in San Myshuno, as well. I haven't tested the other world's, but I highly suspect it's in all world's.

It was dark and a bit hard to see, but if you look in the middle of the picture, you can see where it is doing the same thing. (If you right click and open image in new tab, you can get a better view of it).

dBheW9h.jpg
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I have lots of lag in San Myshuno also, and in certain parts of other worlds. Whiskerman's Wharf in Brindleton Bay is a problem, but the area around my sims house is fine (near the Delgatos). Same in Windenberg - the city parts are much worse than the natural areas. I don't know if it's the number of nearby lots that are within viewing distance or the level of detail in the city backdrops, but it's definitely a difference.

And yes, San Myshuno is the worst. It's not just graphics there, it's all the stuff going on at street level that you're not always even paying attention to using up resources. Uptown is the absolute worst, which I don't understand because there are no festivals there. I have tried tweaking my graphics settings and it does get worse on high, so I play on medium. But I still get a lot of dramatic pauses when I am turning the camera. I assumed it might get better if I got a new graphics card but it sounds like maybe that wouldn't help as much as I thought.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I've got the 1030 with no problems. But like @izecson says, I use mods so they may improve things like lag.
    SiliClone wrote: »

Do you guys play have all expansions and play with everything on ultra?
    Also I'm not sure if its lag, its sluggish, low fps when moving around San Myshuno or living in apartments or penthouse, especially bigger ones, like, compared to other worlds it's way less smoother and not comfortable for the eye to play when everytime you move around it's so sluggish..
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    I have lots of lag in San Myshuno also, and in certain parts of other worlds. Whiskerman's Wharf in Brindleton Bay is a problem, but the area around my sims house is fine (near the Delgatos). Same in Windenberg - the city parts are much worse than the natural areas. I don't know if it's the number of nearby lots that are within viewing distance or the level of detail in the city backdrops, but it's definitely a difference.

And yes, San Myshuno is the worst. It's not just graphics there, it's all the stuff going on at street level that you're not always even paying attention to using up resources. Uptown is the absolute worst, which I don't understand because there are no festivals there. I have tried tweaking my graphics settings and it does get worse on high, so I play on medium. But I still get a lot of dramatic pauses when I am turning the camera. I assumed it might get better if I got a new graphics card but it sounds like maybe that wouldn't help as much as I thought.

Maybe even though Sims 4 does not scale up or down to your specs, it is still important to make sure the GPU, CPU and memory works well together. Example; an GTX 460 will have an hard time keeping up with an i7 7800K etc which may increase lag on top of the lag that may be contributed to it not being optimized.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    VieraRedMageVieraRedMage Posts: 42 Member
    Also I'm not sure if its lag, its sluggish, low fps when moving around San Myshuno or living in apartments or penthouse, especially bigger ones, like, compared to other worlds it's way less smoother and not comfortable for the eye to play when everytime you move around it's so sluggish..
    I have all expansions (including GP and SP), something like 10 GB of cc, and I play on full ultra/max settings, yeah. (Dunno why my dinosaur computer isn't having the same issues unless it's the constant micromanaging to appease my thoroughly out-of-date CPU.)
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Maybe even though Sims 4 does not scale up or down to your specs, it is still important to make sure the GPU, CPU and memory works well together. Example; an GTX 460 will have an hard time keeping up with an i7 7800K etc which may increase lag on top of the lag that may be contributed to it not being optimized.
    An excellent point. If one of your components is a weak link, that's probably where your problems are gonna spawn from -- in my case, that would be my prehistoric CPU struggling to handle my modern 16GB of RAM and GTX 950FTW video card. That's also why I micromanage the daylights out of my Windows to minimize the stress my poor dino CPU has to deal with, apart from my games themselves anyway.

Things to consider:

TS4-specific troubleshooting things-to -check:
    • Are you using the default TS4 camera or the TS3 camera to play? I use the TS3 camera & don't use edge scrolling (I dislike the slow drifting).
    • When you delete the cache folders, do you delete the localthumbcache.package too? (You should!)
    • If your internet connection is shared or isn't the greatest, you can disable TS4's internet access in the main menu to avoid lag from the Gallery silently updating.
    • An update might have hiccuped while installing - "Repair Game" (in Origin) is a dogsend when things stay wonky (just backup your saves & mods first).
    • Also, do you have Seasons installed? I've heard San Myshuno weather can be awful but have only seen clear days there so far; I've had rain in Whiskerman's Wharf stutter before a lightning flash, but I've mostly been playing Windenburg & haven't had noticeable lag or sluggishness in the neighborhoods there. If it's only certain weather making stuff slow you can possibly turn that weather event off in the main menu.
    PC Things I've learned the hard way to check for:
    • Check your antivirus' scan schedule & make sure it's not doing a scan in the background while you play.
    • Also, check that Windows isn't downloading updates and chugging CPU while you're trying to say, attend a festival. Sometimes Windows doesn't recognize that playing games is not, in fact, the computer sitting idly doing nothing, and so we all suffer.
    • Have you defragmented your pc recently? TS2 used to fragment a hard drive like there's no tomorrow, and while Windows 10 is supposed to do it automatically it can't hurt to check manually.
    • How hot is the computer getting when it lags? If it's getting hot you may need a better fan system or stronger power supply.
    • How much space is left on your hard drive? If you have less than 20% left that can sometimes cause issues.

May not be able to stop the game's slowness altogether but maybe it can at least be partially mitigated...
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I don’t understand what’s so demanding about San Myshuno. Graphically speaking, the hardest areas to run I’ve noticed is Windenburg’s Bluffs and San Myshuno’s Myshuno Meadows (but all other districts are totally fine).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    The3CBThe3CB Posts: 6 New Member
    Sasas
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I have the same card and it's fantastic. Sims 4 is not some heavy and grueling game but it always helps to have above and beyond the minimum specs and this definitely is!
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Daephene wrote: »

Graphics cards are only one element of a computer. You have to consider your CPU speed and the amount of RAM too.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member

Yep. Question... Do you use mods?
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

Yep. Question... Do you use mods?

Yes, they do but just a few.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif