Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do they really ‘listen’?

Comments

• munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I find I just get bothered when people who DO seem to get what they want, like the realism players and those who play families. So MUCH of the Sims is dedicated to realism, but those like me in the community who play with occults seem to be forgotten a lot. We have 2 occults to choose from, and that's it. nearly 5 years later. 2 years since the last one, and in between we have had: Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, Strangerville, Laundry Day, MFPS, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous...
    In all that time, no more occults. It's all the realism side, and it just doesn't seem right. One occult per year seems like a good compromise, but we haven't gotten that at all.

I GET most people who play the Sims seem to be more into realism, but not everyone is, yet they seem to be the only ones who are catered to. It's just really, really disappointing knowing that even with the 3 new packs announced in the next 6 months, I bet none of them will be an occult.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited April 2019
    munroele wrote: »
    I find I just get bothered when people who DO seem to get what they want, like the realism players and those who play families. So MUCH of the Sims is dedicated to realism, but those like me in the community who play with occults seem to be forgotten a lot. We have 2 occults to choose from, and that's it. nearly 5 years later. 2 years since the last one, and in between we have had: Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, Strangerville, Laundry Day, MFPS, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous...
    In all that time, no more occults. It's all the realism side, and it just doesn't seem right. One occult per year seems like a good compromise, but we haven't gotten that at all.

I GET most people who play the Sims seem to be more into realism, but not everyone is, yet they seem to be the only ones who are catered to. It's just really, really disappointing knowing that even with the 3 new packs announced in the next 6 months, I bet none of them will be an occult.

I understand your frustration but how are JA and SV on the "realism" side? Not including occults in a pack doesn't mean the pack doesn't have fantasy/fiction elements. Those 2 packs are full of unrealistic scenarios.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I used to think that they weren't but lately I've been pleasantly surprised by some things, so it seems they are listening.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    It's time people stopped asking for Openworld as that's never going to happen. Grant keeps saying it would be impossible in Sims 4 and some appear not to be listening to him.

What I would comment is that I hope they won't call any next iteration Sims 5. Just call it a new name and start a completely separate Forum!
  • godfatheroz2godfatheroz2 Posts: 87 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    It's time people stopped asking for Openworld as that's never going to happen. Grant keeps saying it would be impossible in Sims 4 and some appear not to be listening to him.

What I would comment is that I hope they won't call any next iteration Sims 5. Just call it a new name and start a completely separate Forum!

Agreed. Open world seems great in theory, but I am quite happy that it is not. I like that I can play the game without it being horribly slow and without many issues.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2019

Agreed. Open world seems great in theory, but I am quite happy that it is not. I like that I can play the game without it being horribly slow and without many issues.

Actually, it is no longer theory as it has been done and when it was done not everybody shared your problems as I did not. For some that had the systems to support such an feature as I did it was an great experience. However as said Open World will never see the light of day in this version as it does not have the technical prowess to even make it happen. It was more an matter of tweaking your product and even in this version not enough tweaking is being done in an timely manner.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

But TS4 is suffering being horribly slow and having many issues for others. And it doesn't have open world. I see everyday where someone is complaining of lag. Or horrible AI where their Sim isn't responding to the commands and too slow to move, that is lag, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

But TS4 is suffering being horribly slow and having many issues for others. And it doesn't have open world. I see everyday where someone is complaining of lag. Or horrible AI where their Sim isn't responding to the commands and too slow to move, that is lag, too.

Yeah I agree there is lag, but with certain computers the lag isn't as horrible. Comparing the two laptops I have used to play sims 4, one was horribly lagging and the other I have no issue with, in terms of AI responding.
    edited April 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Actually, it is no longer theory as it has been done and when it was done not everybody shared your problems as I did not. For some that had the systems to support such an feature as I did it was an great experience. However as said Open World will never see the light of day in this version as it does not have the technical prowess to even make it happen. It was more an matter of tweaking your product and even in this version not enough tweaking is being done in an timely manner.

I agree, it varies from person to person. If others do not have access to such systems, it is not as enjoyable. It definitely does depend on what system you are running it on and how much money you are willing to spend to have a nice system. From my personal experience, I have found sims 4 runs better for me. Which is why I am okay with no open world. Not everyone has had success with it, while others have. Which is why it is hard for the makers of the game to please everyone. Again, I know there is issues, not disagreeing with that. And as I said earlier in this thread, I understand people's frustrations with it. People who loved and played Sims 3 compared to playing Sims 4, I can totally see and feel the disappointment. Sims 3 was a packed game. Just speaking from my own experiences. I will say that I plaed the original sims and sims 2 more heavily than 3. My computer crashed and college and life happened. Then I decided to dive back into it playing sims 4. When I read everyone's love for sims 3 and all that it has, I think "dang, that sounds awesome, I wish sims 4 had that" but I try not to compare too much, as it will only make me frustrated lol.
    Post edited by godfatheroz2 on

I agree, it varies from person to person. If others do not have access to such systems, it is not as enjoyable. From my personal experience, I have found sims 4 runs better for me. Which is why I am okay with no open world. Not everyone has had success with it, while others have. Which is why it is hard for the makers of the game to please everyone. Again, I know there is issues, not disagreeing with that. And as I said earlier in this thread, I understand people's frustrations with it. People who loved and played Sims 3 compared to playing Sims 4, I can totally see and feel the disappointment. Sims 3 was a packed game. Just speaking from my own experiences. It definitely does depend on what system you are running it on and how much money you are willing to spend to have a nice system.

If there was no open world in Sims 4 I can live w/o grudingly but it is the other features that I feel for myself that will make my gameplay in Sims 4 better and that is an neighborhood editor or creator and an lot creator or editor where I do not have to wait or even pay for additional lots for that is EA/Maxis gameplan now you have to pay for expanding your neighborhoods under the deguise of paying for an pack. They also took an step back with loading screens which for me is regressive even if it is an second or two. So basically whose systems are very capable suffer because of those who uses systems with lesser capabilities and I should be happy about that? Nope and never will. But I am glad the are other franchises that do not do what EA/Maxis do.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

I agree, it varies from person to person. If others do not have access to such systems, it is not as enjoyable. From my personal experience, I have found sims 4 runs better for me. Which is why I am okay with no open world. Not everyone has had success with it, while others have. Which is why it is hard for the makers of the game to please everyone. Again, I know there is issues, not disagreeing with that. And as I said earlier in this thread, I understand people's frustrations with it. People who loved and played Sims 3 compared to playing Sims 4, I can totally see and feel the disappointment. Sims 3 was a packed game. Just speaking from my own experiences. It definitely does depend on what system you are running it on and how much money you are willing to spend to have a nice system.

If there was no open world in Sims 4 I can live w/o grudingly but it is the other features that I feel for myself that will make my gameplay in Sims 4 better and that is an neighborhood editor or creator and an lot creator or editor where I do not have to wait or even pay for additional lots for that is EA/Maxis gameplan now you have to pay for expanding your neighborhoods under the deguise of paying for an pack. They also took an step back with loading screens which for me is regressive even if it is an second or two. So basically whose systems are very capable suffer because of those who uses systems with lesser capabilities and I should be happy about that? Nope and never will. But I am glad the are other franchises that do not do what EA/Maxis do.

Yeah like I said everyone is entitled to feel a certain way, and I understand it. No arguing with you there.
    edited April 2019

Yeah like I said everyone is entitled to feel a certain way, and I understand it. No arguing with you there.

No arguments as I am glad I play other games and Sims 4 is just an game. Also, I can play the older versions as I never finished anything in them. As said Sims 4 is improving just lacking in some areas.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I hope they don't waste their time on babies.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019

I agree, it varies from person to person. If others do not have access to such systems, it is not as enjoyable. It definitely does depend on what system you are running it on and how much money you are willing to spend to have a nice system. From my personal experience, I have found sims 4 runs better for me. Which is why I am okay with no open world. Not everyone has had success with it, while others have. Which is why it is hard for the makers of the game to please everyone. Again, I know there is issues, not disagreeing with that. And as I said earlier in this thread, I understand people's frustrations with it. People who loved and played Sims 3 compared to playing Sims 4, I can totally see and feel the disappointment. Sims 3 was a packed game. Just speaking from my own experiences. I will say that I plaed the original sims and sims 2 more heavily than 3. My computer crashed and college and life happened. Then I decided to dive back into it playing sims 4. When I read everyone's love for sims 3 and all that it has, I think "dang, that sounds awesome, I wish sims 4 had that" but I try not to compare too much, as it will only make me frustrated lol.
    I think the open world concept gets a lot of false argumentation because people blame everything in Sims 3 that didn’t work quite well on ‘open world’. That spoils that discussion and that’s a shame.
    1. They made a lot of mistakes when they made the open world system for Sims 3, which basically comes down to routing.
    2. They failed to add a “repair” system that automatically cleans up any mess or glitch occurring; this is very well possible to add, as NRaas has proved.
    3. Open world is also eagerly pointed at as the cause of any flaw (like lag) when it isn’t the cause at all. It’s hilarious how people stuffed their games with tons of CC and then blamed the game - and open world - if it collapsed.

Sims 4 will never have open world, true. If only that meant it’s flawless though. They can make a Sims game with a fully functioning open world all right, of course they can. They’ll just need to think it over a bit more carefully than they did ten years ago.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I hope they don't waste their time on babies.

Hope they do.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I think the open world concept gets a lot of false argumentation because people blame everything in Sims 3 that didn’t work quite well on ‘open world’. That spoils that discussion and that’s a shame.
    1. They made a lot of mistakes when they made the open world system for Sims 3, which basically comes down to routing.
    2. They failed to add a “repair” system that automatically cleans up any mess or glitch occurring; this is very well possible to add, as NRaas has proved.
    3. Open world is also eagerly pointed at as the cause of any flaw (like lag) when it isn’t the cause at all. It’s hilarious how people stuffed their games with tons of CC and then blamed the game - and open world - if it collapsed.

Sims 4 will never have open world, true. If only that meant it’s flawless though. They can make a Sims game with a fully functioning open world all right, of course they can. They’ll just need to think it over a bit more carefully than they did ten years ago.

I agree with this post and endorse it. :)
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I agree with this post and endorse it. :)

Seconded.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
    I understand your frustration but how are JA and SV on the "realism" side? Not including occults in a pack doesn't mean the pack doesn't have fantasy/fiction elements. Those 2 packs are full of unrealistic scenarios.

I want occult sims to play with, and JA is essentially a realistic vacation world. Yeah, it has relics and stuff that has a 'mystical' element, but it doesn't include a permanent lifestate. Neither does Strangerville, and besides, it was a story based adventure with sims under the influence of a plant. Stranger Things a la Sims isn't occult. Yes, it is a fantasy with supernatural elements, but again, not a permanent life state that is supernatural, like aliens or vampires. And story based stuff in the Sims isn't my thing, nor are vacations. I don't own either of the holiday type GP's or Strangerville, as none of those concepts interest me.
    We haven't had a permanent supernatural life state in nearly 2.5 years. So it definitely doesn't feel like the Dev is listening to myself or the rest of the Occult playing community :/
    Like, I'm glad realism and family players have some great things, but I'm feeling a bit left out. I haven't played in a long time because there isn't anything fresh for me to play.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    It sure doesn't seem like they're listening to the occult players, does it? Jungle Adventures and Strangerville don't count because they don't include a new permanent life state. Witches. Werewolves, Fairies. Elves. Something. They say they hear us but... do they? As others in this thread have said, realism players have gotten darn near everything major they've asked for. When can we get something?
    It sure doesn't seem like they're listening to the occult players, does it? Jungle Adventures and Strangerville don't count because they don't include a new permanent life state. Witches. Werewolves, Fairies. Elves. Something. They say they hear us but... do they? As others in this thread have said, realism players have gotten darn near everything major they've asked for. When can we get something?

I'm getting desperate. As much as I adore Vampires and Aliens, I play with them constantly and now I'm bored.
    Can we jsut have a new occult to keep us busy and shut us up for a little longer?
    The only major expansion left for realism people I see constant demand for is something Island or University. Can we just have something different, PLEASE? I'm begging at this point.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

I'm getting desperate. As much as I adore Vampires and Aliens, I play with them constantly and now I'm bored.
    Can we jsut have a new occult to keep us busy and shut us up for a little longer?
    The only major expansion left for realism people I see constant demand for is something Island or University. Can we just have something different, PLEASE? I'm begging at this point.

I'll chime in on this as well. Playable Occults are a rare thing in Sims 4 and it feels like the devs think throwing anything "supernatural" at us is the same thing. It isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Jungle Adventures, and I'm enjoying StrangerVille. But the life states that we've grown used to being able to play in past games for the longer term have been reduced to buff states in Sims 4. Just look at what happened to Plant Sims. They last - what -three hours? And you can't even change their hair!

If StrangerVille came with playable Zombies or Zombie-Plant-Sims, and Jungle Adventures gave us fully playable permanent skeletons, we could say that yes, they are paying attention to Occult players. But they aren't doing that. What's going to happen with content down the line? FX Mermaids? Werewolves who shapeshift for ten seconds? I fear that Witches might be the only fully playable Occult we'll get because they'll be too busy working on something like farm fields so we can watch crops grow. No offense to those who want that, but it just sounds tedious and extremely boring to me.

Aside from Aliens, (which had abductions nerfed right away due to complaining), the first two entire years of Sims 4 were dedicated to the painfully mundane. Even ghosts are only half developed, behave like normal Sims and still have needs, not to mention the inability to scare another Sim because Fear doesn't even exist. The Vampire pack was like life blood pumped into the game when it came out. (Haha :p ) But here it's been over two more years of waiting for a decent playable Occult. Can we please get another one? Pretty please with plasma on top?
    #Team Occult
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    LiELF wrote: »

I'll chime in on this as well. Playable Occults are a rare thing in Sims 4 and it feels like the devs think throwing anything "supernatural" at us is the same thing. It isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Jungle Adventures, and I'm enjoying StrangerVille. But the life states that we've grown used to being able to play in past games for the longer term have been reduced to buff states in Sims 4. Just look at what happened to Plant Sims. They last - what -three hours? And you can't even change their hair!

If StrangerVille came with playable Zombies or Zombie-Plant-Sims, and Jungle Adventures gave us fully playable permanent skeletons, we could say that yes, they are paying attention to Occult players. But they aren't doing that. What's going to happen with content down the line? FX Mermaids? Werewolves who shapeshift for ten seconds? I fear that Witches might be the only fully playable Occult we'll get because they'll be too busy working on something like farm fields so we can watch crops grow. No offense to those who want that, but it just sounds tedious and extremely boring to me.

Aside from Aliens, (which had abductions nerfed right away due to complaining), the first two entire years of Sims 4 were dedicated to the painfully mundane. Even ghosts are only half developed, behave like normal Sims and still have needs, not to mention the inability to scare another Sim because Fear doesn't even exist. The Vampire pack was like life blood pumped into the game when it came out. (Haha :p ) But here it's been over two more years of waiting for a decent playable Occult. Can we please get another one? Pretty please with plasma on top?

I have to agree. I've always been a huge supernatural fan and I'm really feeling the lack of occults. Vampires are my favourite and I really love what TS4 has done with them, but it just feels incomplete without their werewolf pets - ahem sorry, I mean rivals. At this point I would be thrilled with a Supernatural EP to make sure we get more than just witches, but I'm not expecting it. I'm trying to remain optimistic though. I do enjoy 'realistic' play too and just want a good balance.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hold your rants and negativity! This isn’t an attack against th Gurus and EA, as angry and upset as I am with the recent Maxis Monthly, I’m here to ask what’s on everyone’s mind following the news of a new career and packs on the way to the sims 4.

For years, since the games release, we have asked for so much and as much as I respect and understand the team only have so little time on their hands...where is the content we actually asked for? Where is the content we actually need?

The sims 4 is 4 years old just about....babies are still objects.

We still lack firefighters and police and burglars! We lack story progression and cars and decent services and jobs....

Do you see what I’m saying?

They listen....but do they LISTEN?

Are they giving us what we want or what THEY WANT?

Toddlers only appeared after constant backlash.

We have had to fight for a shelf!

We have had to fight for so much and what we received in return was so lacking it felt more like a middle finger than actual content!

Vampires...that’s all I’m gonna say because what else is there to say?

Again! They’re working, day in, day out, having to deal with us, their employers, their own personal lives and so much more.

But! Their job is to deliver content.

They are paid to release and create quality content for a game many of us have invested hundreds of pounds on.

Yet, we receive content so lacklustre and poor, they might as well have thrown us a cheap looking toaster that constantly catches fire.

I am not here to hate the gurus or insult the company, or the sims itself.

But what happened to the sims? What happened to lead us here?

Why do we have to come here and demand quality content as well as content which actually makes a difference to our games! Nobody wants the same stuff, I understand that very well.

But when we receive content, do not deny that a good amount is incredibly lacking!

I am going to leave this here for you to continue on via the comments.

At this moment I am utterly let down and seething that nothing I say feels enough to express my outrage and hurt.
    I have been a simmer since I could just about walk, blame my dad (biggest financial mistake he ever made), and having been there for the rise and fall....I just...need to put this out there and hope someone at the company listens.

All I want is someone to reach out and say “hey we’re currently doing this, no idea when it’s going to be finished but it’s coming so don’t worry”

I would happily wait another two years for story progression or burglars or even free mobile babies.

I would simply appreciate being kept in the loop and knowing that someone is hearing us and actively listening.

My apologies for rocking the boat, however things like this need to be said sometimes,

I’m gonna go, have a nice day and keep simming.

Sul Sul

I am not going to say how can you say that about the Gurus. I think they do their best and go their job telling the devs what we Simmers, actually, want. However, the devs might be thinking that they don't want to do everything they did in Sims 2 and Sims 3. They might have their own ideas and not really care what the majority of us want. Maybe there needs to be a better chain of command or a better line of communications between everyone involved in producing the game at EA/ Origin.

I have to agree that we are cheated out of content for the packs they put out.

They really need to better playtest the concepts they come out with. Come out with a few concepts they want to put out. Choose several places throughout each country they plan to release the game in. Choose at least one location for each general area. For example, East Coast, South, North, Mid West, South West, South East Alaska, Hawaii etc in America rather than just one or two locations in the whole country The larger the sample used the better and truer the results. Have a link here on the forums to volunteer. I have done playtesting in the past. Not really for videogames but for games like Warhammer 40K. I would think the process would be similar. Except asking playtesters how fun the game is, a contract not to use mods and or CC during the playtest period and looking for all the common problems and fixing them then. That way when say for example (I am making up these packs names) Builder's Square or Superheroes comes out they can honestly say well we didn't have any problems like that in playtesting what did you say your Sim was doing at the time this happened. That way fewer updates need to be done after the release to fix what is broken. They can ask are you using any mods or CC if so check with those creators or if it is something less common or a rare bug that the devs weren't even aware of when coding and doing their job making the packs for us. I would rather have a release date pushed back and have fewer problems than lots of problems with constant updates after the release date

During the playtest questions like are you happy with the amount of content? On a scale, 1-5 1 being disliked it extremely and 5 being liked it extremely how would you rate the quality of gameplay? Did you experience and freezes, crashes or difficulties. If so explain. This is where we tell them we have floating clothes and hair with eyes and teeth walking around. weird weather, vampires didn't gain experience, can't give vampires strengths or weaknesses, can't make vampire drinks for to solve the problem ,aliens couldn't use their disguise, can't get sims to try for a baby, can't get sims to have friendly interactions, romantic interactions are wonky, the game crashed ten times, it's lagging constantly and I am constantly having to reconnect while playing etc. These are things that should be addressed and fixed during proper playtests.

There shouldn't have to be fan-made mods and fan-made packs to give us what we have been asking for since day one. I can understand if it's going to make it too offensive to the majority of Simmers or if it means crossing the line for a T rating to an M rating. Spiral staircases and more things for babies toddlers and kids to do are a far cry from being offensive.
    Post edited by drakharis on
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited April 2019
    I think certain individuals throw the word "we" around far too much. I don't personally care about babies, policemen, burglars, firemen, or cars (all things you've mentioned.) To much of the community this probably makes my opinion worthless, but it rather works out in my favor that they aren't listening to what "we" apparently want and need. Or at least it should in theory, but the stuff they've been putting out instead hasn't exactly been to my interests either

Still, I think it's important to realize that we aren't a hive mind and if the developers only ever paid attention to the people that scream the loudest (family players), it'd leave a lot of other people out in the dark.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)