Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What mods break with patches?

Is there a type that always breaks with patches?

None of my CC clothes ever break. I have a mod that makes fish never spoil, it never breaks. I have a mod that reduces vampire thirst, it never breaks.

MCCC seems to break every patch.

So how do you know what type of mod will beak and what won’t? (Besides waiting til after the patch)

Comments

• MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    It always depends on the type of patch. Basically, everything touched by the Game Dev have possibility to affect mods related to them. That's why MCCC and UI Cheats prone to break every time the patch come, because there are many components inside the mods that relates to the patch. For example, when the devs update how furniture work in preparation of Cats and Dogs EP (so cats can jump on those furniture), many Furniture CCs became broken.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited April 2019
    Generally speaking from the most likely to break to the least likely to break:

UI mods > tuning mods > script mods > CC

UI mods override an entire Flash resource which typically contains dozens to thousands of scripts. Even just one change within one script could break it.

Tuning mods typically (but not always) need to override an entire XML/SimData resource. One small change within it could break it entirely.

Script mods are the least likely game mods to break as they generally do not need to override anything. Script modders can attach their own code to existing methods through injection, so that even when EA made changes to these methods, the mod could still work fine.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2019
    #AllaDem
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    edited April 2019
    @MrSunshine
    @elelunicy
    (Or anyone else knowledgeable about ts4 mods)

Thanks for the answers. Can you give examples of a script mod vs a tuning mod and a UI mod?

Like the forever fresh fish mod, is that a script or tuning mod? What about MCCC? Is it a mix of all 3 types?

And how are ts4 mods even made? I used to make a lot of mods for games like Dragon Age, Fallout 3 etc. but those games came with creation kits.

ETA: I’d love to learn to make my own mods, like one to increase the time crystals last when mounted to the celestial crown. Or maybe custom careers.
  • gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
    Script mods have good chance of stop working or crash your savegame after patches, would be wise to update/remove them after a new expansion. Non-script mods can also break (if they mess around on LODs for example) but most of times they wont... remember the transparency bug with the CC hairs? sim4studio have a option to fix it but its still a problem.
  • gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
    > @KirbySkywalker said:
    > @MrSunshine
    > @elelunicy
    > (Or anyone else knowledgeable about ts4 mods)
    >
    > Thanks for the answers. Can you give examples of a script mod vs a tuning mod and a UI mod?
    >
    > Like the forever fresh fish mod, is that a script or tuning mod? What about MCCC? Is it a mix of all 3 types?
    >
    > And how are ts4 mods even made? I used to make a lot of mods for games like Dragon Age, Fallout 3 etc. but those games came with creation kits.
    >
    > ETA: I’d love to learn to make my own mods, like one to increase the time crystals last when mounted to the celestial crown. Or maybe custom careers.

you want to make your own mods you need to start with CC and not script mods like you are saying (careers and stuff)

Basic you need:
    1) you need some Photoshop (or other image editor) basic skills.
    2) you need some Blender basic concepts if you want to make new meshes.
    3) you need Sims4studio to make recolours/re-texturings (you should start from here, there are plenty of tutorials)

Optional:
    4) you can use Sim4CASTools to convert some things and edit some key features, like making a hat NOT remove the hair (good to make crowns and tiaras without use the glasses slot)
    5) you can use TrayImporter to save your own families WITH the CC they need, all on 1 .rar file, trayimporter is a amazing tool and a must-have if you make a lot of sims/CC stuff.

i start to mod for Sims 4 1 month ago and i got more than 30 mods already (only CC of course, i dont plan on messing around with scripts, its just not worth it believe me, i had to remove most of my script mods last week, they are just a problem..)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I only use two mods in my game and one cc (pointy ears). I have it checked on Origin to not automatically update the game. That way, whenever we get word a patch has landed, I can go into my documents game folder and pull the Mods folder, then patch my game. In some cases MCCC has survived in the past. We were first alerted trouble was coming with the Mod-Breaking Cats & Dogs patch. It was then I changed from auto-update to not allowing it. Then we got our second Mod-Breaker patch with StrangerVille. Word came down the latest MCCC was fine. So, like a silly nit I can be sometimes, I went ahead and trusted :open_mouth: that Road to Fame would be fine also. Not so. This was the beginning of my Simming woes. My Global Superstar was suddenly a Has-Been, inasmuch as the Hit Beat Point system from RTF dropped his point count from 100/100, needed to hold concerts, to 4/100. He also lost most of his released songs going from 52 down to 1. He was getting §200 per song. Without a way to earn sufficient money, this newlywed, new father, with another on the way had no way to support his family. He was an instant Has-Been. :'( Since he was my very first celebrity in this game and I worked him up the hard way (no cheats involved) you can imagine how this tore me up. I've waited so long to have a singer Sim back in my game, too. (I'm finally playing daily.)

I had no choice but to take him all the way back. After learning there was an updated RTF, I had difficulties with that as well. Turned out my rolled back game save was corrupt. Not only that, but through testing it was my Sim that was corrupt. I had to start fresh. He's just now close to where he was. Not quite a Global Superstar, but truly on the brink. I think one more gig of showing off his talents will push him to that fifth star! But I have been working on this for almost a month!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    There has been a few patches that MCCC hasn't broken. Of course, Deaderpool always updates cause the new code usually means an update to some things, but there has been a few times that he didn't have to hot fix it. But, yes, MCCC does break pretty often with patches just because of the sheer number of things the mod does and touches in the code.

I know ones that break every patch that I can think of are any custom traits and, often times, custom careers. Any "go to school" type mods tend to break with every patch.

Usually package mods are less prone to breakage, but can still break, depending on what has been adjusted in game. CC can break, as evident by the cc hair issue we had a few months ago, beds, couches and counters from the pets patch. But, CC doesn't break all that often, tbh (package files).
    p8L4V6v.png