Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims 4 beat Sims 3 for most Expansion Packs?

Currently The Sims 3 holds the title for most Expansion Packs for a Sims game with 11.

Do you think the Sims 4 will cross that with 12 or more? Currently we know that EP 7 is coming in the next 6 months, and we still have at least 2 1/2 more years of content.

How many EPS do you think The Sims 4 will get in total?

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Personally, I think we’ll be in The Sims 4 for the long haul and can easily see 12 being made.

I also expect we’ll have around 12 Game Packs in total as well.

I don’t see The Sims 4 ending in 2 1/2 years. I see it going well into next-gen, and probably a PlayStation 5/Next-Gen Xbox Port if they come in the next 12 months.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2019
    With the amount of content each EP has, which hasn't been a lot, especially in the first years, I'd say it definitely needs more than 12 EP's.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    They said 3 more years of content. In order to reach 12, they'd need to release 2 EPs from this year until 2021.

We also have to keep in mind that GPs are a thing now, but we don't have a store. In terms of volume of content, TS3 might still win out, but if we're counting only EPs, TS4 might end up with more than 11.

I'd say quality matters more than quality, though. TS3 has a lot of great content, but it has a lot of stability issues and poorly implemented features, like the celebrity system and the romantic reputation (widows are apparently cheaters if they decide to date someone after their spouse's death, which I hated). And I've heard complaints about Isla Paradiso becoming unplayable after a while. Plus I had to install NRaas to fix a save error in my 6-generation save file.

TS4 is on its way to becoming like that too. It still doesn't crash that much for me, but I've heard complaints about features not meshing well together, like City Living festivals not adapting to inclement weather, or celebrities interfering with employees on public lots. I hope they manage to balance new content releases with maintaining the current game's stability and quality
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    SimsWichtesSimsWichtes Posts: 127 Member
    They said that they will run sims 4 atleast until 2021
    imagine we get 2 exp every year
    2019-7+8
    2020-9+10
    2021-11+12

So it could be possible. but like always they like to change things arround and try new things so we of course dont ultimatly know.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2019
    Nope. They have announced they will release twenty DLC, and that four of those (if we do the math) is known to be an EP, this new patch this month, a GP and a stuff pack) April-April....that leaves one more thing for Oct-April 2020. If what people say is true that four things (pack and or content patches) equals twenty across all platforms. So, no. It won't have time. ETA: And to be clear, nowhere I have seen has any guru given a date have they? What they have said is they have enough for three more years, (ideas or actual packs already done?) That doesn't equal a set date nor the license to do it. It just means they could if they had to go on two more years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
    and how can you be so sure of this? companies change their position all the time, guided by objective: money; so if Sims 4 is still high on 2020 i can def see them making more expansions... Sims 5 wont come before 2022 you will see...
  • Options
    well if they release Supernatural im already happy... i want way more life states.. we only got vamps and aliens so far... i want to see werewolfs, witches, fairy and mermaids at least... i really hope they wont waste precious time and money on stuff like 'university' anymore.. to me university was the worst Sims 2 expansion.

And i kinda skip Sims 3 since its engine is horrible; not even today i can play Sims 3 without horrible laggings, and i can play Sims 4 smooth...
  • Options
    also dont forget one thing; companies wont release some new tech or system just because they got it; they will MILK every single drop of money from current system/generation until its almost dry, and then, only then they will move to Sims 5.. take GTa V for example, its there for like 5 years now, and they dont have anything about GTA 6 yet... because players are still playing, so they will milk it.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Well, certainly not in quality and yes, I am aware that some of Sims 3 (IP for example) quality was shoddy as well. We certainly had hoped they...meaning EA Maxis learned their lessons, but nope, profit before quality is still the goal in those companies. :grin:
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited April 2019
    An EP back then is the equivalent of and EP, GP and an SP in one today.

So if you’re counting in the general sense, TS4 already has more packs than any iteration thus far.

Personally I don’t see them releasing much more after this year. TS5 is inevitably coming and time slows for no man.

—T
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Nope. They have announced they will release twenty DLC, and that four of those (if we do the math) is known to be an EP, this new patch this month, a GP and a stuff pack) April-April....that leaves one more thing for Oct-April 2020. If what people say is true that four things (pack and or content patches) equals twenty across all platforms. So, no. It won't have time. ETA: And to be clear, nowhere I have seen has any guru given a date have they? What they have said is they have enough for three more years, (ideas or actual packs already done?) That doesn't equal a set date nor the license to do it. It just means they could if they had to go on two more years.

The only thing announced is over 20 content drops across all platforms in fiscal year 2020. It tells us absolutely nothing as the two mobile games are updated frequently and they would easily have 20 content drops by themselves.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

The only thing announced is over 20 content drops across all platforms in fiscal year 2020. It tells us absolutely nothing as the two mobile games are updated frequently and they would easily have 20 content drops by themselves.

FreePlay's FireMonkey studio was desolved and handed over to Sims Mobile, it may not get as many updates as it did. But I see what you are saying, but I still don't think this game has more than TS3's twelve EPs. They seem to like building GPs or selling GPs as EPs. (smaller and focused rather than broad and expanding).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I certainly hope we get more. I honestly have no idea how many packs we'll get, but TS4 still has so much potential so I'm hopeful there's a lot more still to come. :)
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

FreePlay's FireMonkey studio was desolved and handed over to Sims Mobile, it may not get as many updates as it did. But I see what you are saying, but I still don't think this game has more than TS3's twelve EPs. They seem to like building GPs or selling GPs as EPs. (smaller and focused rather than broad and expanding).

I prefer EP that are focused. Get Famous are focused on Celebs and imo it is very done well. If it was a GP, we probably only got the acting career. But there are atill tons of extra and those packs, and i like how well they integrated on past content and dlc. I don't like broad packs if that means getting unsatisfying features. I prefer how they focus all of their rescources in an EP on one theme then expanding it, rather than picking a broad theme, adding as many features as possible, making it feels dissapointing.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    @To7m wrote: »
    An EP back then is the equivalent of and EP, GP and an SP in one today.

So if you’re counting in the general sense, TS4 already has more packs than any iteration thus far.

Personally I don’t see them releasing much more after this year. TS5 is inevitably coming and time slows for no man.

—T
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    With the amount of content each EP has, which hasn't been a lot, especially in the first years, I'd say it definitely needs more than 12 EP's.

Get Together is probably the only *small EP*

Get To Work, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Seasons and Get Famous provide much more content than EP’s like;

TS2 Uni (tiny EP - if TS4 brought the same content out today it would be a Game Pack), OFB (relied heavily on other packs for gameplay otherwise it was just retail, the other business content came with other packs & while the Retail is better than TS4’s it’s still not worth the jump from a 1/4 of an EP to a whole EP),
    Free Time (would be a hobbies GP it’s basically a gameplay object pack with some annoying NPC and some low coded community lots),
    Apartment Life (was literally a reuse of the Uni dorm system with some NPC gameplay, witches saved this pack from being a rip off but even then they were limited)
    Generations (slightly bigger than Parenthood, but heavily relies on rabbit holes)

Not to mention TS4 usually provides the most CAS and B/B (yes even if we ignore the rediculous decals and reskins).

If it went even further in-depth they would even closer (eg a lot of older EP’s require you to buy other EPs in order to get a full experience, rather than providing that experience on its own - EG Late Night requiring Showtime for proper celebs and nightclub venues - or Bon Voyage needing Nightlife in order to provide proper Hotels with Room Service and the ability to eat meals that aren’t cooked yourself)

Everyone says TS4 Seasons is the “best pack yet” and is “full of content” yet it’s about the same size as the others,
    The issue is, it’s probably the only pack where the majority of content is actually wanted by all play types.

Packs will always feel small when they have a specific play type that it’s aimed at.

TS2/TS3 were much better at making universal themes I’ll give EA that. They’ve lost that skill with 4.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    This isn’t a fair comparison. There were no Game Packs in TS3. TS4 has Game Packs and Expansion Packs.

You may want to add Game and Expansion Packs together. And if you do that then it’s definitely more packs for TS4.
  • Options
    @Chazzzy wrote: »
    This isn’t a fair comparison. There were no Game Packs in TS3. TS4 has Game Packs and Expansion Packs.

You may want to add Game and Expansion Packs together. And if you do that then it’s definitely more packs for TS4.

True, but TS3 did have a fair amount of gameplay objects on the Sims store, and new worlds.

They are sort of similar in that regard. Game Packs are a great addition though and do still require a lot of work to get off the ground, it’s just EPs mean that EA can just keep adding stuff to them.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Chazzzy wrote: »

True, but TS3 did have a fair amount of gameplay objects on the Sims store, and new worlds.

They are sort of similar in that regard. Game Packs are a great addition though and do still require a lot of work to get off the ground, it’s just EPs mean that EA can just keep adding stuff to them.

Gamepacks and Stuffpacks in TS4 are like the Sims 3 Store. Basically it's the same thing with the exception your getting a lower price with Game and Stuffpacks.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    No, I don't think we'll pass TS3. I mean, we might, but it's a small chance.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    MaddieplaysgamesMaddieplaysgames Posts: 125 Member
    I think so because we almost always get 2 expansions per year
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It will get more EPs, but less content :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I expect both more content and more EPs so it'll even out
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Without the Sims 3 store content, I feel like Sims 4 already has more content than 3. But this could just be me, I do enjoy Sims 4 more than 3, so of course I would view 4 as the bigger game. As for expansion packs, I’m not sure if Sims 4 will ever surpass 3, perhaps one day, but they need to balance out their pack development amongst three different pack types.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    the sims 4 needs more than 12
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon