Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about the addition of the freelancer career?

nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
You (hopefully) all know that in a patch coming this Tuesday that a new career will be added, along with many other exciting items. But, the main focus of this poll is to know- does the public really want these careers?

*disclaimer* I accidentally hit enter while making this and it published without me meaning to do so. If you want one of these options, just put it in the comments.

-I'm really excited, but only for the Artist and Writer options
-I'd rather the gurus focused on more important things, but I'm still happy with this addition.
-Why are they even doing this? It's unnecessary.
-Other (you feel a bit differently then what I listed).
funny-gifs20.gif

How do you feel about the addition of the freelancer career? 186 votes

I'm over the moon about everything in this career!
37%
Akl500Papisarski2002icmnfrshKristinastoryyHowGreatThouArtInvisibleaesVibseWritin_Regjoelygirlsims2StrangerthanDESERTFLOWER1981BeardedgeekinvisiblgirlMagdaleenamock68dragonfreakMindofylilfalkeMissyHissy 70 votes
I'm really excited, but wish they added more freelance option.
60%
Frn0731Nh6650King4510411JaseIrishSimmer21alan650111IceyJaprilroseAyradyssoveronMoonsKisupandabioticBabygirl2328PEniracYhuandluMeteoraStormThunderbat87elanorbretonAnmirlafreindlylol 113 votes
I'm really excited, but only for the Programmer and Writer options.
0%
Bagoas77 1 vote
I'm really excited, but only for the Programmer and Artist options.
1%
EnkiSchmidtDawsonbibi 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2019
    I didn't watch the recorded stream but I hope in the future they plan on adding to it.

edit: It's also great that a laptop is being patched in for those who don't own SV.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I didn't watch the recorded stream but I hope in the future they plan on adding to it.

edit: It's also great that a laptop is being patched in for those who don't own SV.

They did say that "no promises" but if this was something that people seemed to enjoy, it is certainly something they can pursue more branches in the future.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Strange... the percentages don't add up to 100%...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I am excited, but I want them to make sure that when that they can have the feedback that they need in this careers. That way if they do add more, they know what and where to adjust to make it more enjoyable to the simmers.
  • Options
    RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2019
    There must be more to it - or at least I am hoping there is. Wouldn't people just be able to paint, program and write independent of a career and make money anyway? I mean, it wouldn't be official but wasn't there something added a while ago where you could name your own career for people who want to do that? It would have been nice if they had added a freelancer career and made it for people that say, wanted to start their own spa with the spa equipment or become a sensation with all the new media equipment. This to me just seems like a waste of time for those particular skills as you could already make money with them. (EDIT - A waste of time in relation to what else they could have been working on such as an education pack with teaching careers and a college/university area like we see with Granite Falls. just to name one.)
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    There must be more to it - or at least I am hoping there is. Wouldn't people just be able to paint, program and write independent of a career and make money anyway? I mean, it wouldn't be official but wasn't there something added a while ago where you could name your own career for people who want to do that? It would have been nice if they had added a freelancer career and made it for people that say, wanted to start their own spa with the spa equipment or become a sensation with all the new media equipment. This to me just seems like a waste of time for those particular skills as you could already make money with them. (EDIT - A waste of time in relation to what else they could have been working on such as an education pack with teaching careers and a college/university area like we see with Granite Falls. just to name one.)

So you want to remove the options of naming your own career for things like painting, or writing, and instead move those options into the Freelancer career?
    Because that is what you DO if you paint at home and live on that without joining the Painter career.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I'm really happy with the new freelance options, particularly the freelance writer career as it suits my favourite sim and his story perfectly. He had to quite his job to look after his daughter, but now he will be able to start working again, which will make us both very happy. It's early days but I hope we get more freelance options in the future, such as photography and something for our handy sims e.g. repairman and carpenter.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    My real answer would have been other but I am looking forward to more options in the future. In the Maxis monthly they said that they are testing this and may add others later so I'm content with three to begin with. I do wish they would have picked different careers. It's not that they don't make senses but I've done so much with those already. Photography would have been great. I also would have preferred singing or music.

I'm hoping they'll be able to do this with things related to packs. It'd be cool to be a freelance physical trainer/ massage therapist, You Tuber, etc
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I think I don't give a plum.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member

Financially speaking it doesn't make much sense but it does add some game play features...I just wished they would have picked different careers.
    I like it in the sense that it gives you an official job title that the game recognizes. I really enjoyed the gig concept in get famous so I'm looking forward to explore how that plays out in the freelance careers. I liked having specific tasks/jobs and that the pay is in relation to quality. It's also kinda cool to me that your work can get rejected. I like that it gives a more interactive job but the ability to manage your own time.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I would have liked this for Photography, baking, cooking, archeology, musician, comedian etc.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I'm looking forwards to it!!

They did say it was just something they were testing out, more options may happen in the future, but these three are good enough for now. It's just what I need. Drawing and writing is the kinda stuff I already do as a hobby anyway. And programming is just a cool thing in general.

Also, they're creative work-from-home careers. Perfect for the sims who would never leave the house anyway.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I would have liked more options but it's ok for now. Hopefully they might add more options in the future.
  • Options
    RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2019
    To the people that responded to me. I think the Freelancer career was brought in with them bringing in the Ministry of Labor. Back in December of last year KirbySkywalker wrote the following and I think that it brings up a lot of freelancer type things

Quote:
    To make money without getting a job that is actually in the game you can write books on a computer and publish them from the mailbox, paint and sell the painting, cook, fish, or make drinks and drag it to the sell box on the inventory tab, create and sell things from the woodworking table, garden and sell the produce or flowers, play for tips with an instrument or write a song (level 9 I believe) and published the song from the mailbox, sing for tips, perform comedy at a venue with a microphone, program or hack from a computer, collect things and sell them, breed frogs and sell them, and more.[

Kirby just touched on some of the things they could do and after reading all that it seems rather limited considering we have over 30 skills to choose from. And why those particular three? I have two painters in both career tracks for that skill. They have worked their way up through the ranks and are level 10. They are making money selling the artwork I didn't want to keep and I could retire them tomorrow from those career tracks and keep on making money selling paintings. With the registry I can give them both painter related job titles. I can also spend time with other sims just working on programming and selling what they make. Same with writing. Since painting and writing both have careers that have your sim using those skills - why didn't they choose something like DJ'ing, archaeology or wellness?

So no, I am not asking that the ability to name your career be included only in the freelancing career - I am saying that the freelancer career is redundant because we already have the option to choose our career for the things they want to include in it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm not exited for it because it's just another way of doing what we already can in the game. I'd also prefer if they used other skills instead, painting and writing feel so overly done at this point, we already have so many options in regards to those skills . Furthermore, why didn't they just updated the old careers/skills and added the option to do freelancer work, like what the programmer has, they just literally added some fancy UI.

The programmer skill specifically already has the option to take freelancer jobs at level 5 in the BG! It's just unnecessary and it tells that a lot of people devs included don't play the game enough to know this. I'd rather have something 100% new instead, but I understand how this didn't need much development at all since all the code was already made in GF and the rest is BG anyways.

0M2UHEt.png

I honestly would rather have graveyard lots and new NPC's over this.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
    this sounds like lazy coding to me too man, agreed.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'm not exited for it because it's just another way of doing what we already can in the game. I'd also prefer if they used other skills instead, painting and writing feel so overly done at this point, we already have so many options in regards to those skills . I also don't understand why they didn't just add the option to do freelancer work on painting and writer careers like what the programmer has, they just literally added some fancy UI.

The programmer skill specifically already has the option to take freelancer jobs at level 5 in the BG! It's just unnecessary and it tells that a lot of people devs included don't play the game enough to know this. I'd rather have something 100% new instead, but I understand how this didn't need much development at all since all the code was already made in GF and the rest is BG anyways.

I'd honestly would rather have graveyard lots and more new NPC's over this.

I'm not thrilled, either. It sounds like they forgot we can already do all this doesn't it. As others have stated, redundant and unimpressive. Reuse of what we already do in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I can't say I'm excited or unexcited. On one hand, a new career path is always good, but I feel like the ones they chose to use for this freelance thing are already represented as careers so it seems a bit pointless to me. So I didn't choose one of the pole options because they were all "I'm excited" options and I'm really rather "meh" about them.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'm not exited for it because it's just another way of doing what we already can in the game. I'd also prefer if they used other skills instead, painting and writing feel so overly done at this point, we already have so many options in regards to those skills . I also don't understand why they didn't just add the option to do freelancer work on painting and writer careers like what the programmer has, they just literally added some fancy UI.

I'd honestly would rather have graveyard lots and more new NPC's over this.

I'm not thrilled, either. It sounds like they forgot we can already do all this doesn't it. As others have stated, redundant and unimpressive. Reuse of what we already do in this game.

Technically the only way to get gigs currently in the game is through the acting career and if you don’t have that pack then technically you don’t have it 🤷‍♀️

I think adding a cooler way to do these old careers is a great idea. Making it fresh and updated. And it’s not the same old thing all the time.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Interesting. I like listening to the public. And what I say, is that they chose those three because they were simpler and they're only testing this. And, of course, because they're all in the base game.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Ultimately I think the sims team will end up adding more options to this career in the future, and I look forward to it.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2019
    I like it, but there should be a few more options. Like a freelance chef would be a valid option, just to name one. Could have been a catering thing.

But overall, I'm happy. Will give some of my Sims more time at home with the kiddos. :smile:
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I think it's great, especially for the writing career, because now writers have a way to make quick cash while waiting for those royalties to add up.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I think it's a nice way to add a work from home option for the original rabbit hole careers. But I do think painter and writer can make enough money selling their creations already that they're not what I would have started with.

I'd like to see the musician and comedian freelancers taking gigs to perform at certain lounges, as well as writing routines and songs. If you have Get Famous you could put that together with the music station to make a more fleshed out music career. Chefs could be caterers, making certain dishes by a deadline and getting them into some kind of cooler that would teleport them to the customer. Freelance criminals could have some fun gigs, picking pockets and hacking and stealing from shops. Maybe personal training for freelance athletic types.

Freelance science could be fun too, there are multiple objects you can use at home for those who don't have Get to Work or just don't want to work off-lot. Less realistic maybe, but so's the secret agent career. Oh, and a private eye freelance career would almost work, but would be more fun with Strangerville items and not everyone would have that.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I didn’t like that the Guru mentioned in the stream that he’s excited to see how modders can add to the Freelance option. It felt to me like they just wanted to do the bare minimum and make us rely on modders to flesh things out. And that whole “we may add more later” just sounds like fluff to make the people feel good about this.