Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game can not detect graphics card (AMD Radeon Vega 3)

I tried editing the graphicsrules and all that fancy stuff but I think I just messed up the file. Can anyone help?

=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2495 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2927 RAM: 7734 Adjusted RAM: 7222 Cores: 4

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 3 Graphics
Name (database): AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 3 Graphics [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 15dd, Board: 38ef17aa, Chipset: 00c5

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    Game does not detect or does not recognize? They are two very different things. Does the game run, or rather did it before you altered the sgr files and can you set them back to the way they were originally?

The Vega 3 is an integrated graphics chip much like the Intels, it can't really be expected to carry the entire game. I would expect that the heavier EPs (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF) would be too much for it to handle. The base game alone plus maybe a couple of the earliest of the EPs might be playable on low to medium graphics options, but depending on the rest of the system's specs I wouldn't push too much on it. Getting the card formally recognized so it has a proper default profile would not really be expected to help performance in this case.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    PyxieytPyxieyt Posts: 48 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Game does not detect or does not recognize? They are two very different things. Does the game run, or rather did it before you altered the sgr files and can you set them back to the way they were originally?

The Vega 3 is an integrated graphics chip much like the Intels, it can't really be expected to carry the entire game. I would expect that the heavier EPs (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF) would be too much for it to handle. The base game alone plus maybe a couple of the earliest of the EPs might be playable on low to medium graphics options, but depending on the rest of the system's specs I wouldn't push too much on it. Getting the card formally recognized so it has a proper default profile would not really be expected to help performance in this case.

Oh sorry for taking forever to reply! I replaced the graphicsrules with the original one so my game starts now, but I meant to say that it doesn't recognize the card! I'm looking at tutorials on how to do it but it's kind of difficult to figure out.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Glad your game is working again. If you absolutely insist on pursuing this, I will send you instructions by way of a PM so as not confuse other players who do not have exactly the same graphics chip with the same device ID.

But I'll try to discourage you again first -- is there an in-game problem you are trying to solve and what are you hoping to accomplish? Getting the Vega 3 formally recognized is not really expected to change anything except it will make that section of the DeviceConfig.log look nicer. It's an integrated chip, not a dedicated card that carries its own video memory. Being formally recognized as such won't really change the defaults applied to it nor how hard it can work. It's currently being ranked as a "1" for GPU Memory by your game as your log shows, but that's the correct low ranking because it has no video memory of its own. The GPU tasks that a dedicated card would handle become offloaded to the processor and RAM when playing on an integrated chip.

Playing on an integrated chip is always more limiting than playing on a dedicated card of sufficient strength. This page is a bit dated now, and it was originally written for TS2, but the underlying concepts haven't changed.
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    PyxieytPyxieyt Posts: 48 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Glad your game is working again. If you absolutely insist on pursuing this, I will send you instructions by way of a PM so as not confuse other players who do not have exactly the same graphics chip with the same device ID.

But I'll try to discourage you again first -- is there an in-game problem you are trying to solve and what are you hoping to accomplish? Getting the Vega 3 formally recognized is not really expected to change anything except it will make that section of the DeviceConfig.log look nicer. It's an integrated chip, not a dedicated card that carries its own video memory. Being formally recognized as such won't really change the defaults applied to it nor how hard it can work. It's currently being ranked as a "1" for GPU Memory by your game as your log shows, but that's the correct low ranking because it has no video memory of its own. The GPU tasks that a dedicated card would handle become offloaded to the processor and RAM when playing on an integrated chip.

Playing on an integrated chip is always more limiting than playing on a dedicated card of sufficient strength. This page is a bit dated now, and it was originally written for TS2, but the underlying concepts haven't changed.
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics

Well since my game is working again I guess I dont need to change anything since it's an integrated chip! Thank you for the information, I'll look at buying a gaming PC :)