Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't understand the Freelancer career.

Whats the point of the painter, author, and tech guru careers if sims can work from home under those same job titles?
It does not make sense to me.
webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    All it does it give your sim a job title, nothing more, nothing less. This way if your sim works at home, say as a painter, a gardener, a writer, or the many other ways a sim can earn money without going into a job and working to earn their money. This way they won't be labeled as unemployed.

Sorry, I just reread your post again, misread it the first time. The only upside to those careers is that they will unlock certain items in buy mode. If there is anything else I can't think of what those would be.
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm a little confused on your phrasing, do you mean you don't understand the addition of the freelance careers, or that you don't see the point of the original careers now that the freelance versions are going to be added?
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    I'm a little confused on your phrasing, do you mean you don't understand the addition of the freelance careers, or that you don't see the point of the original careers now that the freelance versions will be coming?

I mean that I dont see the point of the original careers.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The Freelancer Career just makes things more... interesting. When you're a Programmer in the Work From Home option, you don't make all that much money and you don't have anything to do. With the Freelancer career, when you're a programmer you earn more and more money based on how well you do something. The painter freelance allows you to modernize painting a lot, and the writer freelancer career gives your aspiring writer a way to make some money while still building their writing skill and having the time and money to write. It also gives Maxis an excuse to add laptops to the base game, and I don't mind at all. Like, at ALL.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The original base game careers of painter, tech guru and writer are all rabbit hole careers where your sim disappears while at work but have Daily Tasks to complete at home (which takes up more time in your day).

The new freelance careers of writer, artist and programmer can all be done at home (or out in the world like in the library or a coffee shop) at your sims leisure. You decide when they work and pick the "gig" (job) that they will work on for a client. Once complete, you send it electronically to the client who may approve it and pay you or reject it and want you to "fix" it and resubmit for approval. Your sim can earn pay upgrades and bonus objects for jobs well done.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    You basically get to work at your own pace. There's no deadline for your assignments or work hours. It's great is you play with many sims like a large family so you can take care of your needs when you need to and then get your work in whenever you have free time for it.
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    edited April 2019
    ElenPink wrote: »
    I'm a little confused on your phrasing, do you mean you don't understand the addition of the freelance careers, or that you don't see the point of the original careers now that the freelance versions will be coming?

The freelance versions of the careers will add another version of the careers. When they're added into the game we'll have a few different ways to go about careers depending on how you prefer your gameplay. I'll use the author job as an example:

Option 1: Get the traditional author job, and your sim will go to their regular 9-6 job
    Option 2: Don't get a job, earn money via the royalties gained from writing and publishing books.
    ( @LaBlue0314 mentioned that this will mean your sim is considered to be unemployed, but don't forget that you can now 'register with ministry of labour' thanks to the November 2018 patch)
    Option 3: Get a freelance author job, choosing when to accept work and work from home.

I do think that the freelance versions of the jobs will be undoubtedly more popular, however the original versions of the jobs may still have a use depending on how you want your gameplay/what story you want to work with, and also as previously mentioned, do include item unlocks. For example, if you play a large sim household, you may prefer one of your sims to have a rabbit-hole version of a job rather than stay at home.

Ultimately the additions are definitely something to look forward to, and I think it's good that (I assume) they won't be deleting the original versions of the job so that as players, we have more gameplay options. But other than for item unlocks or if you want one-less sim to take care of during working hours, the old careers will most likely be looked over in favour for the freelance versions.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Seems nice. I like the different job opportunities. It definitely make things more interesting.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I think they should’ve just made them overrides. Otherwise, it’s a bit confusing.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I think they should’ve just made them overrides. Otherwise, it’s a bit confusing.

I'm really glad they didn't make them overrides. I want some of my sims to freelance and work from home, other times, I want my sim to have rabbit hold careers to go to.

I like more options, not overrides.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    All it does it give your sim a job title, nothing more, nothing less. This way if your sim works at home, say as a painter, a gardener, a writer, or the many other ways a sim can earn money without going into a job and working to earn their money. This way they won't be labeled as unemployed.

Sorry, I just reread your post again, misread it the first time. The only upside to those careers is that they will unlock certain items in buy mode. If there is anything else I can't think of what those would be.

You also get more gigs available with more pay the higher you get in skill. So if you start out as a freelance writer, you'll have a limited number of low-skill gigs available. But if you, say, get to the top of one of the Writer career branches then decide to quit the job and go freelance you'll have a lot more gigs available for more pay since you'll likely be at or near the top of the writing skill. It's a different sort of game mechanic. And unlike the traditional work from home careers you don't have any sort of "homework" that you have to do to advance -- it's all based on how well you do on your individual gigs.

I've been using mods that add WFH options to some of the base game careers. This will give me another option, and for me, more options are always good.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited April 2019
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I'm really glad they didn't make them overrides. I want some of my sims to freelance and work from home, other times, I want my sim to have rabbit hold careers to go to.

They could’ve just made the freelance option a part of the career. Like you know how for the City Living careers you can go to the rabbit hole or work from home with the special tasks? They could’ve done the same thing for the freelance bit. So if you chose work from home it would’ve switched to the things you can do from home.

It just seems weird to not choose the Painter career from the job category and instead choose the Freelance career and then chose Painter as one of the options. I think it will confuse people, especially those who haven’t seen the stream or will be new to the game.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »

The freelance versions of the careers will add another version of the careers. When they're added into the game we'll have a few different ways to go about careers depending on how you prefer your gameplay. I'll use the author job as an example:

Option 1: Get the traditional author job, and your sim will go to their regular 9-6 job
    Option 2: Don't get a job, earn money via the royalties gained from writing and publishing books.
    ( @LaBlue0314 mentioned that this will mean your sim is considered to be unemployed, but don't forget that you can now 'register with ministry of labour' thanks to the November 2018 patch)
    Option 3: Get a freelance author job, choosing when to accept work and work from home.

I do think that the freelance versions of the jobs will be undoubtedly more popular, however the original versions of the jobs may still have a use depending on how you want your gameplay/what story you want to work with, and also as previously mentioned, do include item unlocks. For example, if you play a large sim household, you may prefer one of your sims to have a rabbit-hole version of a job rather than stay at home.

Ultimately the additions are definitely something to look forward to, and I think it's good that (I assume) they won't be deleting the original versions of the job so that as players, we have more gameplay options. But other than for item unlocks or if you want one-less sim to take care of during working hours, the old careers will most likely be looked over in favour for the freelance versions.

Maybe you have your Sim do a regular rabbit hole job when they're single, then when they settle down to have a family they switch to freelancing in order to stay home with the babies/toddlers while the spouse/partner goes off to work. (Doesn't have to be the mom either as the stay at home parent either.) There are mods that add work from home functionality to careers, but for those that don't want to use mods this gives an additional option, and with measurable progress. I mean, you can make a decent living just sitting at home and writing books or painting or the current freelance work option for programming (when you hit level 5) but there's no way to really measure your progress, and for some players that's important.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I see it as the same careers (more or less) but now we can choose between the rabbit hole and to follow our sim to work (at home or elsewhere). Some prefer sending away a sim to work, especially if the household is big. Also, the old careers give promotions and probably better total payout in the long run. The freelance gives more freedom to work part time.

I guess any of my sims who intend to work full time, will still choose the old version of the career.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited April 2019
    Also, they added the ability to be self-employed with custom job titles as well. So in reality you could make your Sim a self-employed Painter with a title and just paint on your own time. What was the purpose of the Freelance option when considering you could already be freelance in that regard?
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

They could’ve just made the freelance option a part of the career. Like you know how for the City Living careers you can go to the rabbit hole or work from home with the special tasks? They could’ve done the same thing for the freelance bit. So if you chose work from home it would’ve switched to the things you can do from home.

It just seems weird to not choose the Painter career from the job category and instead choose the Freelance career and then chose Painter as one of the options. I think it will confuse people, especially those who haven’t seen the stream or will be new to the game.

Plenty of things in the game could be confusing to new players. This is like arguing that they shouldn’t have added the ability to have foundations on different levels because the new way of raising/lowering them confused people.

I agree with this. The career structure/system seems less logical. I'd prefer there to be the Writer career with 3 paths; Journalist, Author or Freelance. Graphically they could share the same icon, too, but I guess we'll get a new career icon even if the sims will do the same (write).
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

That does make sense, I could get behind an option like that. But, I do like the daily tasks and skill requirements for the current tech guru, painter and writer careers, so as long as the go to work option stuck with that, it would have been okay.
    p8L4V6v.png
    I like that they are separate and do not want them to be part of the same career as they are different careers, similar, but different. If you like the 9 to 5 drive, it's still there for you to play, but if your sim needs a more flexible schedule, then freelance is the way to go. Both have their own good points and bad points, but they also have different rewards and bonuses.

Also, it probably wasn't possible to "add" these to the existing base game careers without it affecting players existing games in some way. Better to have them be separate.
    Thinking a bit more, keep in mind that freelancing doesn't mean you are mostly free to do whatever you do and work only if you feel like it. Most Freelancers run their own company, they have lots of legal commitments, they often need to work more and harder, because it can be very hard finding work to do, and then in the start you won't make as much money as you need to make. You don't just write a text, but you will also have lots of administration. So - this too make freelancing very different from getting a 9-4 job, hired by others.

Some of my freelancers might even have a part of their house turned into a business office, like running a family company on ground floor and living on 2nd floor. Customers must be invited though, or I can just pretend that customer meetings are very rare. In the Artist bit I think we saw the freelancing sim chatting with the customer/client, so maybe it's all online these days :)
    Thinking a bit more, keep in mind that freelancing doesn't mean you are mostly free to do whatever you do and work only if you feel like it. Most Freelancers run their own company, they have lots of legal commitments, they often need to work more and harder, because it can be very hard finding work to do, and then in the start you won't make as much money as you need to make. You don't just write a text, but you will also have lots of administration. So - this too make freelancing very different from getting a 9-4 job, hired by others.

Some of my freelancers might even have a part of their house turned into a business office, like running a family company on ground floor and living on 2nd floor. Customers must be invited though, or I can just pretend that customer meetings are very rare. In the Artist bit I think we saw the freelancing sim chatting with the customer/client, so maybe it's all online these days :)

All that might be true in RL, but this is supposed to be a fun Sims game, don't over complicate it with RL facts that don't apply here. It's fine as is. Let's wait until we actually get it in the game and play it before we begin dissecting it and tearing it apart. We're getting three new careers people for free. Be happy.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

All that might be true in RL, but this is supposed to be a fun Sims game, don't over complicate it with RL facts that don't apply here. It's fine as is. Let's wait until we actually get it in the game and play it before we begin dissecting it and tearing it apart. We're getting three new careers people for free. Be happy.

Oh, but I AM happy! This opens up for a new way of running local businesses in my game, I love that! :)
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Oh, but I AM happy! This opens up for a new way of running local businesses in my game, I love that! :)

I agree. That will be fun.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Are they getting rid of the painter and writing careers we have now and switching them to freelance or are we keeping both? Anyone know?
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Also, they added the ability to be self-employed with custom job titles as well. So in reality you could make your Sim a self-employed Painter with a title and just paint on your own time. What was the purpose of the Freelance option when considering you could already be freelance in that regard?

With freelance you get the interaction from the game where you can choose gigs, fail or succeed in those gigs and level up gaining new gigs to choose from and you get career objects as rewards. It's just more fun and engaging than declaring yourself a painter then painting sometimes.