The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 20 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

How to reduce game generated Sims?

«1
I know some people make the game full of their own Sims for the most part, but I can never get it to work. My game seems to create never ending amounts of obese elders that all look alike. I don’t mind the game making some Sims, but I’m tired of all these lookalikes. I know there is a setting on MCCC that can pull from your tray, but I keep copies of all the madeover premades in mine, and don’t need multiples of the same Sims everywhere. So does anyone have any tips on the easiest way to add my own in? Is there a certain amount that needs to be added? Thanks!

Comments

  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited April 2019
    There's no way to reduce it significantly without mods. Some people use the reduced random townie generation mod but it's broken right now. I personally use NPC Control but it does not often get updated very quickly after patches. Other than that I know of no solutions. MCCC reduces it a bit simply by being installed (since it allows for unemployed sims to fill service roles instead of having the game generate more) but this just reduces it a tiny bit, it doesn't reduce it as much as the other two mods do.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 2,973 Member
    I wouldn't mind reducing the townies with Japanese sounding names. I don't mind a few but it seems like there is a lot of those in my game. I'd rather have townies with recognizable names that I can remember.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I just delete them every day.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    @Cupid thanks for explaining, guess I’ll just have to keep wasting time deleting/editing them all as well. :#
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind reducing the townies with Japanese sounding names. I don't mind a few but it seems like there is a lot of those in my game. I'd rather have townies with recognizable names that I can remember.
    I agree with this too, I like diversity in my game..but I’m not sure you can call it that when they all look the same/have the same last name.
    @catitude5 do you replace them or just delete completely from edit households? I also wonder if it helps to turn off the fill empty houses option, I’ve always left that on.

  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,573 Member
    With Mccc you can click on a sim and delete right away, anyway... If you visit a cafe the game generates adults in it doesn't have any, lounge bars generates elders, the barmans are almost always elders or young adults, nightclubs generates young adults and adults, food stalls tend to prefer pre-mades for some reason, bowling tend to generate teens... If you have a pool of sims of every age you can reduce the townie generation with no mods... If you have a lot of ya the game will always generate adults and elders if you visit a lot type that has a preference for a specific age.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    With Mccc you can click on a sim and delete right away, anyway... If you visit a cafe the game generates adults in it doesn't have any, lounge bars generates elders, the barmans are almost always elders or young adults, nightclubs generates young adults and adults, food stalls tend to prefer pre-mades for some reason, bowling tend to generate teens... If you have a pool of sims of every age you can reduce the townie generation with no mods... If you have a lot of ya the game will always generate adults and elders if you visit a lot type that has a preference for a specific age.
    Thanks so much for that info, I’ll keep it in mind when adding new Sims.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited April 2019
    My game is full of the girls with long boho skirts and a CC hair I downloaded. They are mostly brown with blond, brown or fire red hair AND very thin eyebrows. Oh and mostly the Asian eyes.
    Also a lot of males with Asian eyes. The looks do not match up at all. I thought the sims 4 was suppose to be better in creating realistic races.

    I remember how my sims 3 game was full of dark skinned sims with blonde hair and blue eyes.. come on man :D
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    My game is full of the girls with long boho skirts and a CC hair I downloaded. They are mostly brown with blond, brown or fire red hair AND very thin eyebrows. Oh and mostly the Asian eyes.
    Also a lot of males with Asian eyes. The looks do not match up at all. I thought the sims 4 was suppose to be better in creating realistic races.

    I remember how my sims 3 game was full of dark skinned sims with blonde hair and blue eyes.. come on man :D
    Exactly what I’m talking about, plus all mine have that weird pear shape for the males and maxed out weight for the females. I recognize people are all shapes and sizes, but I’d like to see realistic representation of that.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,124 Member
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 3,138 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind reducing the townies with Japanese sounding names. I don't mind a few but it seems like there is a lot of those in my game. I'd rather have townies with recognizable names that I can remember.

    I've actually been loving all the Japanese-sounding names. I kind of think of San Myshuno as San Francisco, so these names make it feel more realistic.

    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.
    Thanks, I was thinking of trying that, but had no idea if it would work! Awesome!!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.

    Favoriting households does absolutely nothing to stop townies from generating. The maximum sim setting does not include sims from unfavorited households and those will continue to generate beyond reaching that number.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.

    Favoriting households does absolutely nothing to stop townies from generating. The maximum sim setting does not include sims from unfavorited households and those will continue to generate beyond reaching that number.
    From my understanding the favorited households are just Sims that are protected from being culled correct? So how many more the game generates would depend on how high the max is set, and what your computer can handle? It may be a possibility to have a high number of favorites, and due to computer specs the game may not generate more (or would cull them regularly)? I have no problem with having some game generated Sims, I just end up with so many. Another problem I have is it giving me a bunch of households that have no name, and that causes last exception errors.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.

    Favoriting households does absolutely nothing to stop townies from generating. The maximum sim setting does not include sims from unfavorited households and those will continue to generate beyond reaching that number.
    From my understanding the favorited households are just Sims that are protected from being culled correct? So how many more the game generates would depend on how high the max is set, and what your computer can handle? It may be a possibility to have a high number of favorites, and due to computer specs the game may not generate more (or would cull them regularly)? I have no problem with having some game generated Sims, I just end up with so many. Another problem I have is it giving me a bunch of households that have no name, and that causes last exception errors.

    Yes, it basically just protects them from culling. There's another "limit" for all the sims in that save, and once you reach that limit (whatever it is, I don't know the exact number or if there even is one) then culling begins. It probably takes a lot of sims to reach that point anyway though. And reaching it still wouldn't stop the game from making more, the culled sims would get replaced and it'd be an endless cycle.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.

    Favoriting households does absolutely nothing to stop townies from generating. The maximum sim setting does not include sims from unfavorited households and those will continue to generate beyond reaching that number.
    From my understanding the favorited households are just Sims that are protected from being culled correct? So how many more the game generates would depend on how high the max is set, and what your computer can handle? It may be a possibility to have a high number of favorites, and due to computer specs the game may not generate more (or would cull them regularly)? I have no problem with having some game generated Sims, I just end up with so many. Another problem I have is it giving me a bunch of households that have no name, and that causes last exception errors.

    Yes, it basically just protects them from culling. There's another "limit" for all the sims in that save, and once you reach that limit (whatever it is, I don't know the exact number or if there even is one) then culling begins. It probably takes a lot of sims to reach that point anyway though. And reaching it still wouldn't stop the game from making more, the culled sims would get replaced and it'd be an endless cycle.
    Thank you for all the input! I guess I’ll just play around with the MCCC settings, and go back to just taking the time to delete & edit.
  • veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind reducing the townies with Japanese sounding names. I don't mind a few but it seems like there is a lot of those in my game. I'd rather have townies with recognizable names that I can remember.

    Agreed. Many of my auto generated townies' last names are Izumi, Mizuki, Yamamoto. These 3 are used the most. And those sims don't look asian at all. And there's this arabic names also annoying.

    As for OP's question, It depends on how you are playing the game, what you're doing at a given play session. MCCC has an option to force the game use existing sims as much as possible. On the other hand, in many situations random sims generation is unavoidable. For example if you are playing a vampire family in forgotten hollow, game will generate 4 or 5 random not-in-world vampires to walk around. They are usually elder or adult. What I do, I use cas.fulledit cheat to edit them. I make them all young adults, dress them nicely, change their names and leave them wander around. As there are enough vampires, game stops generating more.
    If you are playing a veterinarian, then the game starts to generate crazy amount of new sims who have pets so that you can have a lot of patients.
    But as far as I see there's always a limited number. Keep those sims who look normal and reasonable and delete those absurd ones regularly so at some point you will have acceptable townies around and the game will stop generating more as it reaches the max number needed untill they start to die of old age.

  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 91 Member
    Trying to reduce the number of townies the game generates is really complex because there are a lot of different sources and reasons why the game makes them. Trying to stop it is like plugging leaks in a bucket full of holes.

    In most cases, it's to fill job roles. If you can fill the jobs with enough sims, then the game doesn't have to create new ones. For example, when I got Get Famous, I discovered that the game needs around five or six paparazzi before it stops generating more and uses the ones it has. So, instead of letting the game make new townies, I took six existing unemployed ones and used career cheats to turn them into paparazzi.

    In other cases, there are unwanted rules in place that generate unnecessary numbers of townies out of control, such as whenever you visit a bar, the game will generate brand new sims to be "bar regulars", except that they aren't regular, it's new sims every time to visit a bar. Also, there's a weird rule that makes the game generate brand new sims for roles like bartenders instead of using existing unemployed ones if they have met your sims already. As if the game wants you to meet new strangers all the time. In cases like these, you have to rely on mods that alter these rules.

    And there's tons of roles that sims need to fill that you probably don't even know about. Such as City Living neighbourhood townies - each district needs about ten or so townie households that populate the area as regulars (even though they don't need to live in housing) and do things like visit food stalls. Or every time your detective sims get a new case, a new townie is generated to be the criminal, and then becomes a regular townie after the case is over - so if you do a lot of those, you're making a lot of townies. Or have a scientist visit planet Sixam and suddenly the game generates 18 new aliens because it needs that many to fill the alien party when you arrive on the planet.

    Right now, my game is at a stable amount where it isn't generating any townies at all and I don't need to delete any when I finish my gameplay session. To give you some idea about how many sims the game needs to reach this, there are about 576 sims in my game. And that's just humans - there's also a whole bunch of cats and dogs...
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    @Galactrix thank you for explaining in detail. I have every pack installed and figured that might be a factor. Those are great things to keep in mind when I set up my new save. Truthfully I just wish the game would create more diverse Sims, not a bunch of pale overweight elders with Japanese names. It’s really a shame, with the amount of skin tones and body types the game has to offer, very few are utilized.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 343 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I know there is a setting on MCCC that can pull from your tray, but I keep copies of all the madeover premades in mine, and don’t need multiples of the same Sims everywhere.
    MCCC will not take sims from library if they have the same name as already existing.
    Also, you can add a hashtag (mccc_bypass if I'm not mistaken) to sims you don't want MCCC to use.
    For me, it's the best way, even if it may require some effort (I had to fill my library with a lot of sims of all ages and I don't know what'll happen when townie dies, will mccc generate the same sim eventually? I guess so). Anyway, now my world looks differently, even some real life celebrities that I downloaded appeared on set as co-stars or background actors instead of that tiring ugly nonames.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited April 2019
    Cupid wrote: »
    One way I've been working around this issue is by putting townie sims I want to keep in favorite households (pressing the heart) so that it slows down random generations. I have 180 favorite households (max population set to 200), leaving 20 for births that might occur in my playable households. If you have non-playable sims set to aging on, then you will have to add new favorites over time, easy to do with downloading sims from the gallery.

    Favoriting households does absolutely nothing to stop townies from generating. The maximum sim setting does not include sims from unfavorited households and those will continue to generate beyond reaching that number.

    I said I was using this to work around the issue, not how to stop townie generations. By filling up my favorite households, I can have a healthy population of sims I actually want in my game. I found that if each household has only one to three members in each, they will spawn more often than a household of eight.

    Even though some unwanted townie sims show up, I now have a healthy half of the population actually looking the way I'd want them to. Every once in awhile I'll go in and manually delete some spawns I absolutely can't stand. I take many sims to get a "makeover" at a fashion themed lot I have as well, helping even those I can't favor for at least a little while until they get culled (however I think there is a mod to prevent culling)

    @veronica55
    @Sharonia
    @Rouenpucelle
    There is a mod where you can have less or no foreign name generations on Mod the Sims... No/Less City Living Townie Names. I have the "less names" version and it is now a healthy balance. I'm loving it.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 3,138 Member
    Is there a mod for more names?
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,351 Member
    So, I’ve read this whole thread, and I’m wondering if any of you can reiterate or explain further how you can get the townies that you’ve altered to look good, or downloaded from the gallery?

    For example, is it better to leave them as “not in world.”
    Is it better to have fewer Sims in the households that you don’t play? The ones tthat you want to have as townies? Example: 1-3 in household rather than 7-8?
    If you have your sims meet townies, will they show up more often?
    If you specifically want some special sims from your “not in world” selection to Ever show up, (because mine Never do) is there anything you can do to make that happen? I’ve tried adding them to a household for a while, and then removing them back into the not in world pool, but it doesn’t seem to help.

    And just my own little complaint about names - I often have at least 5 Genji’s (first name) as townies at one time - lol
    SqxdF0m.png

    Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    This is an interesting thread because I do go through my save and put my own townies in. It really annoys me that I spend alot of time working on my townies for my game to generate a random pale overweight elderly person with a random asian name. I wouldn't mind this if it mixed it up once in a while. Or my Townies didn't all end up with the same username. Sometimes i'll just straight up delete them but i'm interested in seeing if MCC will be any help.

    Also major shout for the mods that change the names/ gets rid of the names. Looking into that as we speak. Thanks!
  • AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,351 Member
    @Galactrix

    Just wondering how you got your game to stop spawning new townies if it needs to make a new bartender every time you go to a bar, etc, (all those things you explained so well).
    SqxdF0m.png

    Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 1,667 Member
    @AlwaysAsking
    I’m in the process of testing different things in my new save, so far MCCC has been the biggest help. If you don’t mind mods, I’d suggest going to the MCCC site and reading about the population settings especially. If you want very specific Sims to show up at your venues you can always use the club system (if you have the pack of course).
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top