Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A little frustrated

fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
So i turned on the sims 4 for the first time in years last night to finally try to complete one of the GTW careers. (I chose doctor) I quickly remembered why I had stopped playing in the first place. First off I noticed that if I didn't fill up my sims queue immediately, they would wander off and do something I didn't want them to do instead of taking care of their needs. I had to cancel so many actions it was like trying to reel in a rambunctious toddler. Also the amount of actions I told them to do that they then just ignored in favor of something else was maddening. I had to tell them to do something three times minimum before they would do it. I couldn't keep my sim off her phone or trying to get a cup of coffee the entire time she was at work. Half the time she wasn't even tired or hungry so I don't know why she kept going to get coffee. I have never been so close to turning off free will and this from someone who never plays without it in the sims 3. Another thing I noticed is that unless you tell another sim to "care for self" while the other sim is at work, they do nothing to help themselves. I would come home with one sim only to find the other still in pjs on the computer with low bars on everything. WTH? Anyway I got so frustrated after awhile that I turned it off. Don't think i'll be playing it again anytime soon.
Edit: Also noticed the game would unpause itself a lot. I would pause the game to get my bearings and it would unpause itself and I would have to pause it again, sometimes more than once.
Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

Comments

• alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Never had the issues you've had. I especially never heard of the game unpausing itself! Do you happen to have any mods??!
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Before Strangerville if I traveled my sims at home took care of themselves. But now after traveling with one sim and coming back I have everyone in a bad state. 4 or 5 needs plumed out EACH. When you have a lot of sims with all there needs very BAD what do you do first?
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    As far as care for self you have to click I again after travel and they do fine. It is a bug but it can easily be worked around. The rest I haven’t personally experienced but I’m sorry you are having a hard time. Massive patch coming next week may fix some of this.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited April 2019
    I think that it is the problem with doctor career that sim who work as one always try to get a snack, taking out trash and cleaning up the floor instead of acting like a doctor they act more like a cleaning service although the hospital employs the orderly. Other active career such as detective and scientist dont have this autonomy problem.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited April 2019
    @alan650111 Nope never used mods or cc. It was a new game and fresh install as it hadn't been on my computer in awhile. As for the unpausing itself, it was when the game would load in after a loading screen. I did learn you have to wait a couple minutes before trying to pause it after that but it still more often than not unpaused itself at least once.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Can you try repairing your game?I always play with the Doctor career and never had this issue.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    So i turned on the sims 4 for the first time in years last night to finally try to complete one of the GTW careers. (I chose doctor) I quickly remembered why I had stopped playing in the first place. First off I noticed that if I didn't fill up my sims queue immediately, they would wander off and do something I didn't want them to do instead of taking care of their needs. I had to cancel so many actions it was like trying to reel in a rambunctious toddler. Also the amount of actions I told them to do that they then just ignored in favor of something else was maddening. I had to tell them to do something three times minimum before they would do it. I couldn't keep my sim off her phone or trying to get a cup of coffee the entire time she was at work. Half the time she wasn't even tired or hungry so I don't know why she kept going to get coffee. I have never been so close to turning off free will and this from someone who never plays without it in the sims 3. Another thing I noticed is that unless you tell another sim to "care for self" while the other sim is at work, they do nothing to help themselves. I would come home with one sim only to find the other still in pjs on the computer with low bars on everything. WTH? Anyway I got so frustrated after awhile that I turned it off. Don't think i'll be playing it again anytime soon.
    Edit: Also noticed the game would unpause itself a lot. I would pause the game to get my bearings and it would unpause itself and I would have to pause it again, sometimes more than once.

I think I'm having that coffee issue too! I noticed the other night when I was playing that my Sims were annoyingly obsessed with going to make coffee instead of just going to bed. I deleted the darn thing. First the endless water thirst and now coffee too? I wish I could just block drinking altogether. Well, except for the Vampires and their plasma preferences. That I like. >:)
    #Team Occult
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This upcoming patch is supposed to be a huge bug fix patch so maybe a lot of these issues will be fixed.
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    Look in your game settings and play around with the autonomy, I personally have it on full but tick the box to disable it on the active sim. This means that all sims in your household will do their own thing, but when you're controlling a sim they won't do any actions unless you ask them to. This may be the best compromise until it's fixed.

But there has been a few bugs recently that are expected to be solved in the upcoming patch so hopefully it shouldn't take too long to sort itself out.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did play the game again today and it wasn't as bad this time. Still had issues with having to tell sims to do things more than once and them not taking care of themselves when I was at work with another sim even if I told them to care for self but it wasn't as bad as before. Maybe it was just me getting used to the game again. Just had to play awhile to get back in to it. Despite me still playing the sims 3 fairly often and them both being sims games, sims 4 has a surprisingly different feel to it.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I complained about the "care for self" thing in the bug area and someone responded that any time the sim cares for their own hunger needs and fills that bar, the other needs stop working until you click "care for self" again. Hopefully that's a bug they'll fix but for now checking them a couple of times while I'm out works for me.
  • veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    Well, I understand what you mean. And it's also not only about doctor carieer or any other active career, it's the overall artifical intelligence of the sims in ts4. They are horrible. When autonomy is on, all kinds of stupid things happen. Like you queue some actions for a sim, use the toilet, take a shower, eat, watch tv and switch to the next sim then when you get back to the first sim, you find them playing a computer game, all the actions you commanded are dropped, he's about to starve to death etc. because the moment it was time for him to shower, somebody was washing a plate in the bathroom sink, so he couldn't take a shower and all the actions planned after that dropped all together so he decided to play a game.
    It's especially frustrating when you have toddlers. I command my sim to bathe the toddler. Here we go:
    -He grabs the toddler
    -puts him back on the floor because.. i don't know..
    -picks the toddler up again
    -puts the kid in highchair
    -sits somewhere near
    -stands up, because it's not close enough
    -sits somewhere else
    -asks toddler if she wants to take a bathe
    -toddler refuses
    -my sim gets frustrated and reacts
    -meanwhile the 2nd parent comes and picks up the kid from the highchair
    -puts him down
    -picks him up
    -puts him down again
    -the 1st parent who was trying to bathe the kid, walks away to do something random, like dancing.
    -6 sim hours pass
    -toddler is now exausted and hungry, angry and passes out
    -now the priority is to feed the kid because otherwise he will be taken away
    -I tell the 2nd parent to feed the kid
    -she comes and picks up the kid
    -puts her in highchair
    -goes to grab some chicken nuggets and puts them in microwave
    -brings the food to the kid
    -suddenly first parent comes in, picks up the kid from highchair before she can eat
    -he puts the kid down
    -1st parent picks the kid up, takes her to bed
    -toddler can't sleep because she is way too hungry, and stinky
    -then I have enough and shift-click and fill her needs up instantly

I only wanted to bathe the effin' kid!

This is how AI works in this game. Don't get me started about sims standing and thinking for minutes before starting an action that you command.

Still, I play TS4. We all do. LOL
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I think I'm having that coffee issue too! I noticed the other night when I was playing that my Sims were annoyingly obsessed with going to make coffee instead of just going to bed. I deleted the darn thing. First the endless water thirst and now coffee too? I wish I could just block drinking altogether. Well, except for the Vampires and their plasma preferences. That I like. >:)

Well, coffee is addicting … But, I do get quite annoyed when I queue up things for my Sim to do and one of them likes to just stand there. Okay, so he's very close to being a Global Superstar, but he still lives in his parents' home and he should do what he's told to do. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    ever since strangerville came out I have sims constantly ignoring my commands in the game generally, its maddening
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’ve noticed Sims start to ignore fulfilling their needs in favor of doing something random and I will have to cancel that action so they don’t die from embarrassment after wetting themselves.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    My sim always strikes up a conversation with the patient, and takes their temp etc in between. That way they don't leave for water or listen to music etc.

I love the GTW pack, but I don't play it anymore. Got tired of all the staff being ghost, where they should have been retired before dying, and replaced with new staff.

Never had the game unpause itself, but I haven't played in a while either.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    Try to repair your game and make sure you have the most recent update. Try starting a new game. If none of that fixes the problem, then you are most likely experiencing some of the many bugs in game right now. Some things are just plain broken at this time, such as vampires when they max out their level bar, or my personal favorite (no, not really) the cat who you can't scold for getting on counters.

I am excited/nervous for this pack to fix some of these numerous bugs. I'm nervous because I went a bit mod crazy and downloaded tons of bug fix mods to the point my game is almost running smoothly now, so now I get to figure out what will need to stay and what can go. The only problems that I've noticed I still have is the cat counter scold, teleporting while doing a task, and sims just forgetting what in the heck they were doing....the "Severe Amnesia Epidemic" is what I've called it.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I have never had any problems like that but I don't tend to ever play the doctor career - I tried it a long time ago and got fed up with all the fake illnesses so never played it since then. I often play the Science career and sometimes the Detective one and find both of them fun. Perhaps it is just the doctor career creating the havoc as my sims at home do all kinds of things they like to do when I'm at work with my detective sim.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    Before Strangerville if I traveled my sims at home took care of themselves. But now after traveling with one sim and coming back I have everyone in a bad state. 4 or 5 needs plumed out EACH. When you have a lot of sims with all there needs very BAD what do you do first?

I had this issue prestrangerville, the dropped needs resulted in a toddler being taken away soon as I loaded the home lot cause his needs were too low before SV came out
    caitytrina.png
    edited April 2019
    @MLadyAzzera Yeah I think its just buggy at this point. Hope they fix it in this upcoming patch. Coming home to uncomfortable sims and having them drop actions is truly annoying.
    Post edited by fruitsbasket101 on
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I have never had any problems like that but I don't tend to ever play the doctor career - I tried it a long time ago and got fed up with all the fake illnesses so never played it since then. I often play the Science career and sometimes the Detective one and find both of them fun. Perhaps it is just the doctor career creating the havoc as my sims at home do all kinds of things they like to do when I'm at work with my detective sim.

The "Cooler Sicknesses" mod has really enhanced the illnesses in game. It's changed my doctor career too for the better. Highly recommend: modthesims.info/d/605259/cooler-sicknesses-mod-v-2-2-0.html
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

The "Cooler Sicknesses" mod has really enhanced the illnesses in game. It's changed my doctor career too for the better. Highly recommend: modthesims.info/d/605259/cooler-sicknesses-mod-v-2-2-0.html

Thanks.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    When one of my sims in the household went to the jungle for his work, his wife and their toddler stayed at home. I saw in his entire trip their mood was getting worse and worse each day. i came back to only red bars.