Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New freelancer careers, new content

A very nice live stream! I liked all new objects and especially the the new male clothes. The careers remind me of TS3 self-employed jobs.

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited April 2019
    Freelancer careers seem interesting, but why are jobs called gigs? For me, gigs are performances (on stage and so on). I think the word commission would fit better there.
    But yes, it's awesome to see new things. Yes, these do remind self-employment in The Sims 3, but instead of finding a way to make money, sims find jobs they can do to earn money (that one reminds me of skill opportunities in The Sims 3).
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Can someone please explain the freelancer careers in detail? I literally only caught the last 5 minutes of the stream! Thanks!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the freelancer careers in detail? I literally only caught the last 5 minutes of the stream! Thanks!

There should be a blog post soon.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Freelancer careers seem interesting, but why are jobs called gigs? For me, gigs are performances (on stage and so on). I think the word commission would fit better there.
    But yes, it's awesome to see new things. Yes, these do remind self-employment in The Sims 3, but instead of finding a way to make money, sims find jobs they can do to earn money (that one reminds me of skill opportunities in The Sims 3).

I just wish they had chosen other topics than artist/computer/writer because these are already in the game from the beginning. But on the other hand we can't expect tons of new animations in a free patch. The new desk clutter is adorable and finally men get decent non-juvenile pants.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The freelance careers will be great for those playing with large families or just a ton of sims in general. You can basically work whenever you want and there's no pressure to get things done by a certain time. I certainly hope to see more of these in the future. :)
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    There's a lot of potential with those freelancer careers, I can see them adding more and more over time, and modders making custom ones as well. Might be a little odd that they went with three things that are already in the game as it is (sims can do freelance programming if their skill is high enough, and the other two are basically the painter and writer careers without the regular working hours), but maybe that's just for testing the waters before they come up with things like freelance contract killer... Okay, maybe not, but... you get the idea.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited April 2019

It's like acting career. You choose an agency for your sim and then you choose gigs aka jobs your sim can do. Then your sim gets tasks and after these are completed, your sim will get a payment and rewards.
    There are three careers in freelancer type: writer, programmer, and painter.

I just wish they had chosen other topics than artist/computer/writer because these are already in the game from the beginning. But on the other hand we can't expect tons of new animations in a free patch. The new desk clutter is adorable and finally men get decent non-juvenile pants.

The pants seemed like a retexture of what we have in the base game :o
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have mods for three "at home careers" - Tech Guru, Writer, Painter. This update will allow me to delete those mods. Freelance is a better idea (and more realistic) than the set hour option or the at home option - so happy! :)
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There's a lot of potential with those freelancer careers, I can see them adding more and more over time, and modders making custom ones as well. Might be a little odd that they went with three things that are already in the game as it is (sims can do freelance programming if their skill is high enough, and the other two are basically the painter and writer careers without the regular working hours), but maybe that's just for testing the waters before they come up with things like freelance contract killer... Okay, maybe not, but... you get the idea.

I wish they had done a photographer freelancer career.

This so much!!! One of my favourites in TS3. I didn't recognize the pants - I'm just glad that they are long, not torn and not wide like a potato sack.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

It's like acting career. You choose an agency for your sim and then you choose gigs aka jobs your sim can do. Then your sim gets tasks and after these are completed, your sim will get a payment and rewards.

Wow! I love how the acting career is set up so I love this surprising idea. I really hope the modding community goes to town with creative additions to freelancing! What makes The Sims community so great is their rampant imagination and skill with coming up with new gameplay for this game!

I hope sims can get Fame with it if you have Get Famous.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member

Another great idea, yes. Or babysitting. Or writing songs / music. Or something related to handiness - it's weird how we have all those artistic, computer and entertainment careers, but nothing related to technology, engineering, that kind of thing. The possibilities are endless!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Oh, I'd love this. They already made it a base game skill, so they might as well make a career out of it. So far it's just the stylist career that uses it
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    This is so great! The freelance writer career is exactly what I wanted and will be perfect for my vampire sim. He previously had to quit his job after becoming a parent, so this will allow him to start working again, which will make us both very happy. :) I also hope we get more options in the future. Something practical would be nice for my handy sims.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member

@Sigzy05 In the stream, I think there was an option to sell the artwork and it had the +fame mark on it.

edited April 2019

Another great idea, yes. Or babysitting. Or writing songs / music. Or something related to handiness - it's weird how we have all those artistic, computer and entertainment careers, but nothing related to technology, engineering, that kind of thing. The possibilities are endless!

In TS3 there are opportunities where sims send you their broken items and you have to repair them to earn money (or take them do as you wish ahaha). It would be nice to see that here. They could make a freelancer handyman or mechanic if they ever add cars (do paint jobs, fix the engine, change the tires etc).
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm happy about the freelance careers, and I'd like to see a freelance handyman, too. Photographer, caterer, and mixologist are other possibilities. And maybe a singer? The entertainment career isn't really suitable for a singer.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    For those suggesting a Freelance agency using the Handiness skill; there could be an agency that uses the stuff off the woodworking bench. Your Sim could have gigs carving sculptures and making furniture as an option.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

@Sigzy05 In the stream, I think there was an option to sell the artwork and it had the +fame mark on it.

That’s something that was already in the game.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    edited April 2019

Having worked/lived with folks doing freelance writing and programming, I can say it's pretty routine to refer to the contracts as gigs. Even in the corporate programming space where I work, we often call one off contract jobs, especially those that are weird or different, gigs. I don't know about digital artists, the only two I'm close to aren't freelance and are more in the UX space than say a concept artist would be.

ETA: Very excited for this. I think it looks like a nice change to the very "traditional" creative careers that never really interested me in the Sims 4. Also hoping it's easy to mod. It could be a great system for adding a little more character, and there could be some other skills and flavors that could hopefully be developed with relatively straightforward processes, and a place for talented and creative writers to maybe tell some stories. A recurring problem client, who constantly wants tweaks as you keep trying to submit the work comes to mind - someone who keeps moving the goals!
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited April 2019

I think they forgot about photography.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I wonder if a private detective career could be done as a freelance career. Your sim checks to see what detective "gigs" are available and sets out to accomplish them. "Case Of The Missing Piano" for example.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I wonder if a private detective career could be done as a freelance career. Your sim checks to see what detective "gigs" are available and sets out to accomplish them. "Case Of The Missing Piano" for example.

That would be so much fun! I really hope they do expand the freelance work in the future. Sounds like it's gonna be a big hit.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.