Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much silence

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2019
    Maxis Monthly is tomorrow??? That's much sooner than what I thought. I thought it would be on the 20st or something. And there's new content coming., ok I'm intrigued.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm really hoping they haven't permanently decided on last minute release promotions like they did with Strangerville. It was announced just over a week before release...the comic they created didn't even have every entry yet.

I would have liked a little more antici....pation.

(Side note: I just passed 1,000 posts...yay me!)

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm really hoping they haven't permanently decided on last minute release promotions like they did with Strangerville. It was announced just over a week before release...the comic they created didn't even have every entry yet.

I would have liked a little more antici....pation.

(Side note: I just passed 1,000 posts...yay me!)

I would be happy if they announce something and release it the same day.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    crinrict wrote: »

Goodies are big stuffs or not?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I wouldn't anticipate anything big in a patch.
  • Options

Toddlers, pools, ghosts, terrain tools, basements, were all big.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I think what people need to realize is that those things got added to the game for free because it made sense to do so. A lot of people refused to buy the game until it had those things. The base game was newer and more expensive back then and adding them in boosted sales. But the base game is practically worthless at this point; often going on sale for the same price or less as a stuff pack. It no longer makes sense to put large content patches in the game for free, and I don't understand why everyone thinks that is going to continue to happen when it hasn't for years now.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I think it must be the Gallery which influences free stuff in Patches otherwise it might be very difficult to find anything at all if you had only the Base game and a couple of packs.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Reksoh wrote: »

I think what people need to realize is that those things got added to the game for free because it made sense to do so. A lot of people refused to buy the game until it had those things. The base game was newer and more expensive back then and adding them in boosted sales. But the base game is practically worthless at this point; often going on sale for the same price or less as a stuff pack. It no longer makes sense to put large content patches in the game for free, and I don't understand why everyone thinks that is going to continue to happen when it hasn't for years now.

It makes total sense if it benefits the BG and every other pack. There are still tons of things the BG lacks and things that need to be tweaked, like the emotions and traits. I don't think your logic makes sense at all. If anything they should add big stuff because this is a live service after all and because the game is getting older they need to reel newer people in and keep us engaged as well. If this game is to have a bigger lifespan in comparison to other games shutting off updates isn't going to do it any favours.

Let's not forget the BG still lacks graveyards, basic NPC's like firemen and burglars, cars, funerals, new stair types, round pool shapes, and so on. The terrain tool was added fairly recently, which further proves that your train of thought isn't right in the slightest. "Hasn't for years?!" I can't relate. A lot of people also ask for a baby update which isn't totally out of question.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

Just trying to temper expectations. :)
  • Options
    Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    Personally I want to know what's going on strictly because of the news related to another EA-owned company. I'm concerned about it happening to the Sims crew.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Communication is just horrible on so many levels.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Personally I want to know what's going on strictly because of the news related to another EA-owned company. I'm concerned about it happening to the Sims crew.

Do you mean BioWare? Personally, we won't know what are happening internally at the studio, whether they are having the same thing as that studio or not. But one thing is for sure, both studio are different, have different people, leadership, and culture inside the studio. I've heard that that the team at that studio spend more of the ir time in pre-production rather than production. We won't know what actually is happening inside at Maxis, but we can definetly see tidbits of it from time to time. I don't think that Maxis had the same event when developing packs for TS4, especially since considering that many people from the team are already on the franchise since TS, TS2, and TS3. Our current Executive Producer had a lot of experience in development, as she was already in the franchise for 18 years, and was one of the top producers for TS3 and TS4.
    In the development of the Base Game I think they might have that experience since if the rumors are true, TS4 was an online game, and when SimCity turned to be an online problem, Maxis Redwood had to transform the game from Online to Single Player. In that case tho, It dosen't feel as Maxis fault for creating TS4 as an online game because at that time, after TS3 launch and they started a small team started to work on TS4, the CEO of EA at that time, didn't greenlight any games that are offline, and wanted each of them to be Multiplayer. We seen it with Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, Need for Speed Most Wanted Reboot, SimCIty 2013, etc. However thesse games dosen't work on Maxis games as they are designed to be single player from the start. If Maxis was was greenlighted to do a traditional sims game from the start, then the game will be a lot more different now.
    By looking at what happen, we can see how the game was rushed, how there are some producers saying that the game is in trouble at development, etc. After the game launched, we noticed how patches feel rushed(the ghost, etc.), however as time goes on, and the further we go away from launch, the more stable the team seam to be. Devs had 18 years of experience, working on the same game being iterated. I think Maxis is a much more stable studio.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Just trying to temper expectations. :)

Which is a good idea :). I think going in with this mindset is the best way that way one doesn't expect too much when there will only be a little. And let me add one would hype themselves up and then feel a crash of disappointment when its not something big.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Looks like a bug fix patch this month. You can relax now.
  • Options

It makes total sense if it benefits the BG and every other pack. There are still tons of things the BG lacks and things that need to be tweaked, like the emotions and traits. I don't think your logic makes sense at all. If anything they should add big stuff because this is a live service after all and because the game is getting older they need to reel newer people in and keep us engaged as well. If this game is to have a bigger lifespan in comparison to other games shutting off updates isn't going to do it any favours.

Let's not forget the BG still lacks graveyards, basic NPC's like firemen and burglars, cars, funerals, new stair types, round pool shapes, and so on. The terrain tool was added fairly recently, which further proves that your train of thought isn't right in the slightest."Hasn't for years?!" I can't relate. A lot of people also ask for a baby update which isn't totally out of question.

To my understanding the terrain tools were only developed in the first place as a side project from a guru. But if we're talking a paid-to-develop patch feature the last one was the gardening overhaul which was mostly added to make seasons more attractive.
    which further proves that your train of thought isn't right in the slightest.
    no
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    I'd be happy with major bug fix and news about forthcoming content.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Let's not forget the BG still lacks graveyards, basic NPC's like firemen and burglars, cars, funerals, new stair types, round pool shapes, and so on. The terrain tool was added fairly recently, which further proves that your train of thought isn't right in the slightest."Hasn't for years?!" I can't relate. A lot of people also ask for a baby update which isn't totally out of question.

To my understanding the terrain tools were only developed in the first place as a side project from a guru. But if we're talking a paid-to-develop patch feature the last one was the gardening overhaul which was mostly added to make seasons more attractive.
    no

The first person camera was a side project. Terrain tools were added along side multi-level foundations. Definitely not a one man job. We have gotten two major additions to the base game two years in a row; toddlers (2017) and terrain tools (2018). Prior years also saw patch content, so I disagree with what you said earlier about patches not adding new features.
  • Options

no

The first person camera was a side project. Terrain tools were added along side multi-level foundations. Definitely not a one man job. We have gotten two major additions to the base game two years in a row; toddlers (2017) and terrain tools (2018). Prior years also saw patch content, so I disagree with what you said earlier about patches not adding new features.

I didnt pull it out of thin air. A guru came on the forum once and referred to the terrain tools as a "passion project" in the same vein as the alexa app and the first person camera:
    But here at Maxis we are allowed to work on our passions so occasionally you get Guru's who create things like First Person Camera, Terrain Tools, this Alexa app, and in the past I was able to work on the Gardener NPC as a passion project that was released,
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    New stuff in patches is great; however, I'm much more excited about bug/glitch fixes. I don't remember which SimGuru posted it on Twitter, but they said that there was going to be a lot of fixes. :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    What's wrong with just playing the game? And if you don't like the game in its present form then why not go and find another game to play and come back to this one if something is released that you like?

When you bought the game did you think it came with some sort of guaranteed news and interactive service from the studio?

This isn't aimed at any one person, more an observation from this and other similar threads.
    I’ll never understand why people consider that advice a solution. It actually defines and confirms the problem. This is the feedback section of a Sims forum, if someone feels that way, they have a problem with the quality of the game and this is the place to share it. When you open the feedback section you can expect not everybody to be positive. This place is to discuss a game, not to tell others what to do with their lives. The fact a simmer is not happy with the current game or direction it’s going doesn’t mean they don’t do anything else. Like indeed playing other games. It also doesn’t mean they lost interest in the franchise all together (clearly speaking for myself now). Feedback is for everyone. Playing other games is my refuge, not a solution.

This is a Sims 4 Feedback forum and some come here to only complain about EA generally and may completely confuse new members as those complainers haven't even played or only got the base game or very few packs. I wish we had some indication of what such complainers had so that we could put them on Ignore. I, myself don't want to discuss Sims 1, 2 or 3. I had it all, played it all and moved on thanks. It's getting like looking for a needle in a haystack to find apt Feedback and Gurus might miss it in that haystack.

Maybe the EA moderators could add a separate Feedback Category to discuss all packs.
    The OP of this topic declares to love Sims 4 and they own all packs but one. Yet someone gives this advice in their topic. Most players showing up here own at least the basegame and often a lot more (like me). I don’t think there should be some kind of rule where you have to own X packs or play X hours a week to be allowed to post here. I repeat, nothing justifies telling other people what they should do with their time when discussing a game and a franchise.

P.s. I think the major bug fix they’ve announced is great news by the way. I hope it will solve a lot of problems for people.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Woohoo!!! Major announcements today. No themes but an EP, GP, and SP will be released in the next 6 months (leaves room for a sneaky ep release in November). Very exciting!! And a decent update coming as well!!
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

no

I didnt pull it out of thin air. A guru came on the forum once and referred to the terrain tools as a "passion project" in the same vein as the alexa app and the first person camera:
    But here at Maxis we are allowed to work on our passions so occasionally you get Guru's who create things like First Person Camera, Terrain Tools, this Alexa app, and in the past I was able to work on the Gardener NPC as a passion project that was released,

I sometimes think that those so called "passion projects" are called that to disguise/hide that these things might/will be used in upcoming packs that they cannot tell us about beforehand.

Like those 4 level basements that came with Terrain tools that are useful as bunkers in StrangerVille and the Lin-Z smart speaker which is like Alexa in the game.
  • Options
    LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    In all honesty I don't really get their "tell the consumer as little as possible about upcoming content" model they have going on. I've seen a guru say that there's a legal reason why they can't tell us (which I wish would be elaborated on as I'd like to know what exactly the reason behind that whole thing is) but I feel as though the team them reiterating that packs are coming is like a chef in a restaurant reassuring the patrons that he is in fact still in the back cooking but refusing to elaborate on even the slightest detail on what the chef is cooking. I think this model is the reason for the climate of the community and how information starved us simmers tend to be, if they would just communicate what's going on with us they wouldn't have to do damage control statements telling us to not get hyped over something or that MM wouldn't be reveling content.

That's just how I see the long silences anyway, sorry for the long post...
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Luxury wrote: »
    In all honesty I don't really get their "tell the consumer as little as possible about upcoming content" model they have going on. I've seen a guru say that there's a legal reason why they can't tell us (which I wish would be elaborated on as I'd like to know what exactly the reason behind that whole thing is) but I feel as though the team them reiterating that packs are coming is like a chef in a restaurant reassuring the patrons that he is in fact still in the back cooking but refusing to elaborate on even the slightest detail on what the chef is cooking. I think this model is the reason for the climate of the community and how information starved us simmers tend to be, if they would just communicate what's going on with us they wouldn't have to do damage control statements telling us to not get hyped over something or that MM wouldn't be reveling content.

That's just how I see the long silences anyway, sorry for the long post...

There is a legal issue because EA is a public company and subject to the rules and laws of public companies in the USA. Like if a public company says they are doing something or working on something - and the public is informed of what that something is - but then halfway through completion the project fails and they cannot deliver that addition or what ever it is - they are subject to harsh fines, penalties, etc among other things that if they were not a public company nothing would happen if they did not deliver the project. Public companies have to deliver what they tell you - the public - they are working on and because of this most companies keep projects to themselves until they are positive they can deliver the product. EA therefore makes sure nothing is mentioned about what they are working on until they are sure they can deliver what ever it was - and this why they can no longer share with things they are trying to make or trying to do until they know for a fact the project will happen and will work.

It does not matter if a product is coming from a game company, a manufacturing company, a car company or what kind of project it is - but if a company says it they have to deliver it or pay harsh penalties. A non-public company can tell you step by step what they are doing and if it fails - oh well - things happen - no one is penalized or subject to fines - because they are not a public company. EA used to be that - and sharing was a choice they had - then they became a public company and the rules of business for them changed.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....