Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    You're so sweet Cathy <3 I am just enjoying myself while I write them.

The short story however I still haven't touched. I got carried away setting something up and had a bad pregnancy day xD so I didn't really write anything today.
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    I don't even think I can post links yet, this account is so new. So in the meantime you will have to literally copy & paste this. Enjoy!

Presenting, my entry at 594 words: “Jackpot”

breckenridge.home.blog/2019/04/06/jackpot/
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited April 2019
    I don't even think I can post links yet, this account is so new. So in the meantime you will have to literally copy & paste this. Enjoy!

Presenting, my entry at 594 words: “Jackpot”

breckenridge.home.blog/2019/04/06/jackpot/

FAB entry ... here is a link posted for you Jackpot
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    (Translation available on the blog) As we kick off #montlysimlitshortstorychallenge I am thinking of short stories this month.

The beauty of short stories is that you can explore heady subjects that might not fit into your regular story.

Sharing an example I wrote a while back.

This look at bullying begs the question who is worse the bully or those who stand by and watch, just glad it is not them (sadly some watchers even enjoy the game a little) #tastymorsel

Invisible
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    edited April 2019
    Good evening simmers! Here is my submission for April's short story challenge. The first time I have ever entered this. Word count is exactly 600 words. Enjoy! Looking forward to reading more submissions :)

The Wise Fool
  • Options
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    Good evening simmers! Here is my submission for April's short story challenge. The first time I have ever entered this. Word count is exactly 600 words. Enjoy! Looking forward to reading more submissions :)

The Wise Fool

What an enchanting story Jo!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @lisabee2 - Thank you so much for reading it. Glad you enjoyed it :)
  • Options
    AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    lisabee2 wrote: »

Today I read a fab poem by @CathyTea (not an entry to this challenge - but an example of using few words to tell a big story) .. in just over 70 words she introduced me to a man and his quest .. showed me the depth of his pain and brought another sufferer alongside him to share life together (and we assume to be a support to one another) and in the end we are left with the vision of 2 wounded men together facing a dark world of agony and loss BUT SOMEHOW she leaves us with HOPE! AND she did it in the form of poetry (still told a short story) I am in awe!

I am submitting my story tomorrow ... (I should be in working on it now) My protagonist is caught in folly and the world around her sees her as a fool. Maybe after you read it you will agree with the world BUT maybe not too :) and doing it in 226 words (at the moment) and in the form of a first-person narrative.

Aw, thanks for the call-out to my poem, @lisabee2 ! Along with @Shadami and @Ashubii , I'm taking part in GloPoWriMo this month -- oh, man! It's so fun! And it's not too late to join at all! I def don't think of myself as a poet at all (fiction is my native tongue), but in a lot of ways, that opens me up to be able to experiment and experience something brand new! My poems this year are not SimLit (they're based in Elder Scrolls Online. A friend and I are co-writing an Elder Scrolls novel, and it's taking me a long time to internalize the game and game-lore, so I thought writing ESO-based poems would help! And it seems to be!), but last year, I did use Sims to illustrate most of the poems I wrote. @Shadami 's poems are Sims-based. I'm in love with them. You can really get to know a character (or Sim) intimately when they share themselves through poetry.

As for the 600 word limit: When I was in grad school, one of our profs challenged us with weekly papers which could be NO MORE than two pages, 12 pt. Times font. That's around 600 words. His rationale was this: Beginning writers need to be prompted to write more. Advanced writers need experience writing less.

So it is actually an advanced exercise for experienced writers to write a full story in 600 words.

Wrote mine yesterday. Had to trim so much and leave so much unsaid! But heck. Who needs articles and adjectives?

I LOVE the GloPWriMo! I never knew it was a thing, but I'm having fun with it too! It's been a long time since I've really focused on poetry :)
    Also, a 600 word story :O That sounds like a really fun challenge I might have to try sometime. Every week I have to write a 700 word (minimum) essay for one of my college classes, so writing a fictional story would be sooooo much more fun (and challenging!)
  • Options
    ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have a question: What do I get when I win?

This made me spit out my coffee when I read it. :D
  • Options
    I've got a question. I have a few cuss words in mine (not bad ones). Is that okay?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Zachsims - On Lisabee's wordpress site, there are some rules and regulations. There are links on page 1. But to answer your question, here is the answer from the Rules. Hope it helps.

"This is a forum based challenge. In the spirit of that please keep your entries FAMILY FRIENDLY and safe for work. This means NO adult mods, NO adult themes and NO language. If you feel that language is an integral part of your story feel free to either use the word “plum” or redact it “S**T.” Some of you may feel very restricted by this but let me remind you that this will go out across all social media platforms and we cannot control who might see it when."
  • Options
    Ashubii wrote: »
    CathyTea wrote: »

Today I read a fab poem by @CathyTea (not an entry to this challenge - but an example of using few words to tell a big story) .. in just over 70 words she introduced me to a man and his quest .. showed me the depth of his pain and brought another sufferer alongside him to share life together (and we assume to be a support to one another) and in the end we are left with the vision of 2 wounded men together facing a dark world of agony and loss BUT SOMEHOW she leaves us with HOPE! AND she did it in the form of poetry (still told a short story) I am in awe!

I am submitting my story tomorrow ... (I should be in working on it now) My protagonist is caught in folly and the world around her sees her as a fool. Maybe after you read it you will agree with the world BUT maybe not too :) and doing it in 226 words (at the moment) and in the form of a first-person narrative.

Aw, thanks for the call-out to my poem, @lisabee2 ! Along with @Shadami and @Ashubii , I'm taking part in GloPoWriMo this month -- oh, man! It's so fun! And it's not too late to join at all! I def don't think of myself as a poet at all (fiction is my native tongue), but in a lot of ways, that opens me up to be able to experiment and experience something brand new! My poems this year are not SimLit (they're based in Elder Scrolls Online. A friend and I are co-writing an Elder Scrolls novel, and it's taking me a long time to internalize the game and game-lore, so I thought writing ESO-based poems would help! And it seems to be!), but last year, I did use Sims to illustrate most of the poems I wrote. @Shadami 's poems are Sims-based. I'm in love with them. You can really get to know a character (or Sim) intimately when they share themselves through poetry.

As for the 600 word limit: When I was in grad school, one of our profs challenged us with weekly papers which could be NO MORE than two pages, 12 pt. Times font. That's around 600 words. His rationale was this: Beginning writers need to be prompted to write more. Advanced writers need experience writing less.

So it is actually an advanced exercise for experienced writers to write a full story in 600 words.

Wrote mine yesterday. Had to trim so much and leave so much unsaid! But heck. Who needs articles and adjectives?

I LOVE the GloPWriMo! I never knew it was a thing, but I'm having fun with it too! It's been a long time since I've really focused on poetry :)
    Also, a 600 word story :O That sounds like a really fun challenge I might have to try sometime. Every week I have to write a 700 word (minimum) essay for one of my college classes, so writing a fictional story would be sooooo much more fun (and challenging!)

My daughter, who nears the end of her Masters in counseling, just said that very thing to me LOL She hates message boards and had to do a 500-word response to one yesterday
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @SoulGal7 is correct @Zachsims .. what you do in your reg stories is totally up to you but for your short story entry please either redact the word or use the word PLUM.

When the vote goes live this will go out across all social media sites so we have to be a safe post for everyone in every place. And placing a NSFW is just too much click bait for younger audiences (besides even IF it worked you would want their read and vote) we all know that if you tell a young teen what they cannot have they want it all the more.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I just added this info to the submissions section ...

A tiny bit of FYI.

When it comes time for the vote I will have all the links posted here and the link to the voting site BUT I will also publish a blog with all of the links and the link to the vote so that you can easily share it anywhere from Facebook to Instagram to Tumblr to Twitter .. yes even the EAGC Discord.

I urge you to share this far and wide.

This little endeavor will take a lot of work .. lets make a big splash while we have the eye of the community.

This challenge will be a boon or a bust. The harsh truth is that if it is a bust I walk away essentially unscathed, only having lost a bit of time for my own story but if it is a boon then we all win.

I am not inferring I am the great hope of the community (seems there is a little bit of salt out there *wink) ... I am saying WE ARE the great hope of the simlit community. No one is going to do it for us .. we have to do it ourselves.

I understand that for the most part here in the forum I am an unknown or those who "know" me just might have the wrong pic. I have been around a while and I have always been honest and above board. #recognizingtheelephantintheroom

We have to decide if we are happily cloistered away in our own little world or do we want the talent we have here (and the is a lot of amazing talent in here) to have its rightful place among the builders, cc creators, and youtubers.

With her readers poll, @Jmaraa showed how a bit of promo can bring Simlit into the light. I don't remember how many folks I had asking me what Simlit was all about.

It is both scary and risky to put one's self out there but nothing ventured nothing gained.

PEP talk over .. we can do this (I say to myself a lot) ...
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @Zachsims - On Lisabee's wordpress site, there are some rules and regulations. There are links on page 1. But to answer your question, here is the answer from the Rules. Hope it helps.

"This is a forum based challenge. In the spirit of that please keep your entries FAMILY FRIENDLY and safe for work. This means NO adult mods, NO adult themes and NO language. If you feel that language is an integral part of your story feel free to either use the word “plum” or redact it “S**T.” Some of you may feel very restricted by this but let me remind you that this will go out across all social media platforms and we cannot control who might see it when."

Sorry I didn’t notice this. Should have read closer. Thanks.
  • Options
    @SoulGal7 is correct @Zachsims .. what you do in your reg stories is totally up to you but for your short story entry please either redact the word or use the word PLUM.

When the vote goes live this will go out across all social media sites so we have to be a safe post for everyone in every place. And placing a NSFW is just too much click bait for younger audiences (besides even IF it worked you would want their read and vote) we all know that if you tell a young teen what they cannot have they want it all the more.

My story isn’t NSFW. I’ll just use plum.
  • Options
    @Zachsims looking forward to reading it
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    MummaSimmaMummaSimma Posts: 11 New Member
    Hey newbie here. How do I enter my submission if I can't post the link? 😭
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    I just took the http part off and pasted the rest.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    MummaSimma wrote: »
    Hey newbie here. How do I enter my submission if I can't post the link? 😭

I got you here ... Sabio and Tonto a Story of Wisdom and Folly

Sabio and Tonto are just adorable .. <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    All of the stories so far are wonderful! Looking forward to reading more.
  • Options
    All of the stories so far are wonderful! Looking forward to reading more.

I agree <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    MummaSimmaMummaSimma Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you! I'm excited to be a part of this 😁
  • Options
    AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member

My daughter, who nears the end of her Masters in counseling, just said that very thing to me LOL She hates message boards and had to do a 500-word response to one yesterday

Eww, a 500 word message board response sounds awful! :# I have to post discussion board responses to classmate's every week, but thank goodness there's no word minimum. Sometimes I can barely think of more than a sentence to respond with :D
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Been down and out for a couple days with a forced bedrest. ... I'm hating being sick during pregnancy. ugh.

But I will be getting back to reading more of these short stories soon, as well as getting my own written :] gotta get back to my poetry as well. hopefully today I can do that. ^^