Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Mac User's Best Friend!/PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ANY NEW PROBLEM THREADS!!!!!!

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited April 2019
    @SamuraiLady I'm sorry you've been spinning your wheels so much. I'm not sure either why you're having such trouble; it sounds like you've done almost everything to make this work. There are a few points you might not know about though:
    • You won't be able to install via disc. The last few versions of mac OS don't authenticate TS3 discs; Origin is the only option.
    • Store content has its own patches, which used to be offered through the launcher but are no longer available. But a member here (@ZeeGee) offered hers for download—just unzip the file and drop it into your game folder. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942
    • The presence of the ep08 file you've described is normal. The base game version offered through Origin, at least for mac users, is 1.42, which is the patch that coincided with the release of Seasons, the eighth expansion pack. I'm not sure why this one file gets downloaded, but it hasn't stopped me from being able to install into mac OS.
    • The launcher borrows the resources of a browser for its logins (and ads). In Windows, this is always Explorer. I'm not sure what the default is on a mac, but if you clear all your browser caches, the login data should be gone too. Be sure to uncheck the box to preserve data for favorite sites.
    • If you think you may have a leftover hidden library file that you can't find, or something else that should have been deleted but wasn't, you can always install into a new admin user account. The library files are specific to one account.
    Finally, a few of us here (myself included) have Bootcamped our macs to play TS3. It's not all that difficult, although it can be annoying to have to deal with Windows. If you'd like help with the process, just ask.
  • SamuraiLadySamuraiLady Posts: 36 Member
    I just checked the forums and read that about the disks alone not working, lol rip that idea. :D
    I haven't even gotten to store content again but thanks for the link, I'll save for the one day I might need it because I haven't completely given up yet.
    Okay I didn't know that about the file.
    Hmm okay, it just seemed weird it never had me already logged in and I remember wasting time the first few tries logging in each time.

I think I'm inclined to BootCamp at this point assuming again there are ample guides that can ELI5. I've googled but wanted to make sure I follow an updated or still working guide that explained the whole process not just installing one thing and didn't say "if you don't know what you're doing don't do this." (because yes I read that on a guide). Also going to get dinner again so brb later.
    I didn't know what I was doing when I Bootcamped my computer a year ago, and I managed to get through it, albeit with a not insignificant amount of handholding. But Apple makes things easy, downloading drivers and other critical files for you. One sticking point for you is that older macs, including yours, need a USB drive to install Windows.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468#more

You could order one on Amazon but you could get a Windows 10 build that's a couple of years old. Or, if you have access to another computer with Windows installed, you could use the media creation tool to burn a disc image onto a USB and install it that way. This is straightforward, although you do need to download a small app to make it work.

And of course you need to buy a product key for Windows 10, although you can install without one and wait until you're sure the setup is working. The other thing to keep in mind is that while the Windows version of TS3 runs better than the mac version, you'll still have the same hardware, including your integrated graphics card. So there will still be limitations on how far you can push your game, even though getting out from under the 2 GB RAM limit will help a lot.
    Well I have my clean 16GB usb/flash drive ready, I haven't backup my Mac in like years (prob 7-8) so I'll backup that first for safety.

You're saying to get Windows on Amazon correct? I don't have a Windows though I think I could copy my dad's laptop, I don't know how to copy it so maybe just buying it would be faster and easier. And then I would need the product key (or would that come with the Windows on say Amazon?) I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell it without the key but then again i dont know how greedy corporations are. Lol.

I also haven't dealt with windows in years so I was actually going to ask which build would be best, and if Windows 8 vs 10 had any importance (since I'm purely in this for the sims, and nothing else really).
    I've had only limited experience with Windows 8, on a pretty weak computer, so I can't really give a decent opinion on that one. I find Windows 10 annoying but reasonably easy to use, once I figure out how to force it to cooperate. TS3 doesn't even recognize 10—it thinks I'm running some version of 8—but the game itself runs fine.

Regardless, my computer wouldn't support anything other than 10 anyway, so I didn't bother to research the choices. I think that your choice of OS depends on your version of Bootcamp Assistant, so you might be stuck with 8.1, but you'll need to check your version number to be sure. (Even running Mojave, your computer might not support the latest version of the assistant.) You could also call Apple and ask.

The reason I'm not completely sure how this works is that with my mac, I just downloaded a Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft, then pointed Bootcamp Assistant at it and followed the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I believe the same principle applies for a USB. You could buy one, or you could create one using a computer with an existing Windows install. If you use the above link on a computer running Windows, you get the option to download the media creation tool, which will let you burn a disc image (ISO file) for Windows 10 onto a USB or DVD. The same principle may apply to a Windows 8 download, but I don't have an install on which I can test. Here's the link where you'd download it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

And keep in mind that the process of burning the disc image to the USB will erase any other data on the USB.

It might be better to call Apple and ask the proper procedure for your specific model, just to be sure. But for Windows itself, if everything goes wrong, you can always wipe the partition, and your computer will be back to normal.

On Amazon, you can buy a standalone code, a DVD, or a USB of Windows 10. The entry should indicate what you're receiving; if it doesn't, then it's probably just a code that gets emailed to you once you pay. (I haven't looked up what's available for 8.1.) You can also buy directly from Microsoft, but that's often a bit more expensive. For example, Microsoft is currently charging $140 for an activation code for 10, whereas I found my mom a USB stick with version 1703 (current is 1809) for $109, no tax. I was Bootcamping my parents' new iMac though, so I could download and run the ISO file directly and didn't need anything other than the code that came with it. I'm not sure you can even get a USB with any newer version of Windows, and Amazon doesn't list which build you're getting.

Anyway, some of this can wait until you've decided which version of Windows you want, and whether you can use your dad's computer or need another source.
    Okay I haven't gotten BootCamp yet because I didn't what order I needed to start downloading things in, and I wanted to be sure I was downloading from official or at least safe sites. For some reason Apple's support page doesn't link or say anything about where to get it from so me being a noob, I don't even know where I get it from.

So I guess Step 1 for me is finding BootCamp Assistant.
    Step 2) sounds like it would be whether or not to copy it from my dad's and onto clean USB or just buying it on Amazon correct? (sorry if I seem dumb, I again just like to know with absolute clarity I'm doing everything right)

I don't have an opinion of 8 or 10 either, so as long as 10 works (and I think that's what my dad has anyways) I'll probably go with that. I know I can see my dad Sunday so I can wait a day to try looking on Amazon for it in case my dad's laptop doesn't seem trustworthy. I don't think he uses it much, but for all I know he could've fallen victim to some fake anti-virus cleaner and I wouldn't take my chances and I guess in case I mess up the copying or whatever (because again I don't even trust myself unless I know exactly each step I'm doing, and wouldn't know if something went wrong or not lol.)
    edited April 2019
    You don't sound dumb at all; if anything, you're being smart as well as careful by asking all these questions. And you should see the kinds of messages I wrote when I was about to do this myself, having no idea what the process looked like. (I was extremely lucky to have the help of someone who was quite knowledgeable and also very patient with me.) But the process is so straightforward, when I did it a second time for my mom, I didn't even have to look up directions.

Bootcamp Assistant is in Applications\Utilities. Right-click (or crtl-click) on its icon and select Get Info. Under General, you'll see its version listed. I don't know which one you have, but when you find out, you can google whether it's compatible with Windows 10, or else post it here and I'll see if I can figure it out. Mine is 6.1.0, by the way, which supports 10 only.

Once you have that question answered, then you can narrow down the choices about how to get Windows onto your computer. It's also a good idea to find out which version your dad is running, so you can plan now.
    Haha yeah, after spending 10 minutes going "Where is it, I'm sure I've seen this somewhere before" I painfully realize 'oh it's already built in' /facepalm

Okay so my version is Version 6.1.0 (6067.250.12) hey looks like the same kind! As for good ol' dad I might have to wait till tomorrow to ask but but I'm not opposed to buying Windows either. I'm not sure he would even know so I might be stuck waiting and he's has his own opinions, he might be kinda "I don't know, I don't think I want you messing with the laptop." So, I like kind a plan b and backup plan for the backup plan.

Update since typing this: Surprise, he's certain it's Windows 10. Good ol' pop pop.
    Sounds great, you should be fine with 10, and that makes everything easier. The simplest way to get the newest build to use his computer to burn the ISO file to your USB; that way, you won't have to worry about the possible consequences of skipping versions (it might be fine, it might not be. You know, like Windows in general). I can write up some instructions for you if you like, but the directions on Microsoft's website are surprisingly helpful.

And I do think it's a good idea to buy a copy, even if you're only doing it for the code. You'll get more options to personalize your install, and you won't have to worry about issues with future updates. But like I said, that can wait until you're sure everything works to your liking.
    Ah yeah, I didn't even think about personalizing and future updates - I was considering using windows for anything I might needs, even if it's just running Microsoft word smoother since I bought a copy for that back when I started college. So maybe it's safer to buy my own assuming those future updates might be necessary in general or just more beneficial?
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, I'd definitely recommend getting yourself a code, sooner or later. But you don't need to install via whatever medium (DVD or USB) comes with that code, and in fact it's not a great idea. Using your dad's install, you can get yourself the latest version of Windows 10, as opposed to installing an earlier build and then updating all at once, and potentially missing critical files along the way.

If you buy from Amazon Direct (not Marketplace), the code you receive should be fine, and it will be valid no matter which version of Windows 10 you install. You might have to wait a couple of days for the delivery, but then again you won't need the code itself right away either.
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
    Hmm okay. So revised set of steps would be
    1) To get the Windows laptop and download and use the media creation tool to burn a disc image onto a USB. Now on that webpage it tells me to select from Win10 2018 with April and October being the only difference. Do I just select one or it a matter of example: 'my dad's laptop was last updated in October therefore I must use that corresponding one?'

2) I assume would be installing of Win10 by I assume connecting the flash drive and well, looking up a guide from there.

3) Since I don't need it right away, I then need to buy a product code from Amazon Direct (which I've never heard of before and googling it with only 'Amazon Video Direct' and 'Amazon Prime Video Direct' showing up isn't helping my confusion, though I did just sign up for Prime so hopefully that means it will take only two days lol.)
    edited April 2019
    When you're on your dad's computer and go to that link, there won't be any option to choose which version of Windows you get. You'll just download the media creation tool, double-click to launch it, and follow the on-screen instructions, and I believe you'll wind up with 1809, which is the build from October. (If you get 1803, from last April, that's fine too, since it's only one update away from 1809.) The whole process is quick and painless, although it might take a bit of time to download the ISO file and burn it.

Then you can plug the USB into your own computer, launch Bootcamp Assistant, and follow those instructions. This is also very simple, if time-consuming. The one thing you should think about now is how much space you want to devote to Windows; you won't be able to change it afterwards unless you wipe the partition entirely. (This is also easy—just a couple of clicks—but you'd lose all the data on the Windows side.) For Sims 3 with all or most expansion packs, plus saves, custom content, etc., you'd want at least 256 GB, because Windows needs a lot of free storage to maneuver. Even then, you might need to store your extra save files on an external hard drive. These are pretty inexpensive; I bought a 4 TB drive for $110 last year. If you're going to do schoolwork on the Windows side, you might want to increase the partition size to 300 GB. But it depends on how much you want for the mac side too, so take some time to think about it.

This is what my mom bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Home-English-Flash-Drive/dp/B07Q3X32QT
    The "Fulfilled by Amazon" is what you want to see—it means Amazon will take responsibility if the product doesn't work for some reason.

It came in two days with Prime, and it included the USB stick I didn't use, plus a code printed on a card. Searching Amazon can be annoying, especially for a term like "Windows 10" that's included in so many other products, so I tend to use google and specify Amazon as the site. For example, I used "windows 10 home USB site:amazon.com" to find the above product.

A word of warning: It's not a good idea to buy an OEM version. Microsoft doesn't support its indvidual use; it's for manufacturers that ship their computers with WIndows installed. Plus, the code can't be transferred, so I'm not sure you could still use it if you wiped your partition. I mean, you should be able to reuse it, but there's always a chance it wouldn't work, and then Microsoft wouldn't help. So it's better to spend a couple more dollars and get the full version.

Oh, and when I said Amazon Direct, I meant not Marketplace, which is Amazon's attempt to create a slightly more civilized version of ebay. You could probably find a Windows 10 code on Marketplace for $10 or $20, unless Amazon has cleaned that up again. But the code might well have been stolen, and it's always possible that Microsoft could figure that out and cancel your access later, much like EA has done with stolen TS3 codes over the last couple of years.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @SamuraiLady

The Origin helper tool window is a prompt to enter your Mac user account password when you launch Origin after running the reset tool. If you’re getting it repeatedly it could be a completely separate problem which has been an issue on and off over the last few years. EA have fixed it a couple of times and I haven’t seen any new reports for a while at AHQ. I don’t really understand why you were still trying to use Origin to launch the game though? Anyway, good luck with Boot Camp! The game will run a lot better :)
    apple-signature.png
    I was a bit busy yersaterday and real quick - I'm in the process of copying to the USB and it's asking which architecture: 64-bit (x64), 32-bit (x86) or both.

I'm not sure what my Mac can run or should run cause unless it clearly states it in 'About This Mac' I make no assumptions. Ty for all the help again.
    edited April 2019
    You want x64, as in 64 bit. A 32-bit OS can only address (use) 4 GB RAM at a time, whereas 64-bit will use all 8 GB you have installed. By the way, macOS has been 64-bit only for a decade, and your computer has handled that just fine.

And asking questions beforehand is always better than guessing.
    Okay thanks for explaining! I always heard '64 bit' and '32-bit' but didn't know what it actually was and how it related to my mac, but I'm glad to know now and by extension, I know a little bit more about RAM too.

Will update when it finishes, I got the laptop yesterday mid-day but it was actually updating to the October update and me,(used to Macs taking it's '45 mins update') was like: "Okay sure, I can take a take shower during that time." *comes back, it's still 'preparing to update'*
    I think it took all night, or at least 6 hours to actually update before I fell asleep and went straight to work in the morning. I have to wonder if my dad's laptop is slow or if every windows user suffers hours-long-updates lol.
    Okay so I got an error during the process, it's the same as this screenshot: I can't link yet, but basically 'Error code: 080042405 - 0xA001a'

One recommendation was to reformat the USB, waste time basically till realizing I'm not sure I was even selecting the USB and repeat the download - which to be clear it tell me to run or save as and I dont which to use at this point since I hit 'run' out of habit and without thinking (so for all I know I'm probably already messing up there.)

It tells me it's not finding the USB (still plugged in this whole time). I unplug it, replug it - this time it actually pops up telling me I need to format it, something I was trying to do in my wasting time as it kept saying errors and now again it's saying "unable to complete the format".

This USB is new, I literally got it for this process since I couldn't find and did think my other USB was a 16GB anyways.
    I don't know whwat to do, I can't reformat it and refreshing the drive lst doesn't let it pop up anyways so I'm stuck :/
    fixed usb problem: I guess both my dad's laptop usb port are kinda broken because I had to hold it level and suddenly it was formatting and it found it to download the media tool on. /facepalm
    After a long and confusing day, I finally have my USB ready to install Win10 on my Mac. I opened up BootCamp Assistant and I get: "The startup disk does not have enough space to be partitioned. You must have at least 40 GB of free space available."

Is this just a warning or is my mac not meeting the requirements or something...?

Also to save a post,(s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶m̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶b̶t̶w̶) I'll go ahead and ask now: what do I do after BootCamp? How exactly will I switch to windows and what needs to be done from this point to where I can start installing TS3?
    edited April 2019
    How much storage do you currently have? I thought you mentioned earlier that you had 473 GB? If most of that is listed as "purgeable," maybe that's why it won't let you partition your drive.

As for whether your mac meets requirements, Apple says that it does:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

And I know you feel like you're spamming, but it's probably easier to deal with issues as they come up, rather than covering everything at once, especially when this early step isn't working.
    I do, I even got rid of some videos and bumped it up to 520.71 GB. I think it's reading/trying to install on my 16GB flash drive? I hit continue and it's asking for the Win10 ISO to put that on the USB (I thought we were supposed to be doing the opposite and getting the install of the USB?)

I only stopped and didn't go through with since the selected drive is the usb and it's reminding me it will delete it's content and I don't have access to the laptop anymore so I'd rather not do anything until I'm sure my next move is right.
    I have to admit, I'm finding the instructions for Bootcamping an older mac a bit confusing. Some articles say you can use a Windows 10 install medium (what you created on your USB) directly; others say you have to create your own using a Windows ISO file and a USB formatted in a specific way. But then that presents its own problems, like the ISO file being too large for the type of format required. And then I found a help thread from someone with your specific computer who could never get the sound to work, even after jumping through several hoops.

Anyway, I'd be willing to experiment on my own computer, but not someone else's. I think it might be better to ask Bluebellflora for advice at this point. I'll keep looking for a good answer, but hopefully she can offer something better.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @SamuraiLady

Bit strange that it won't work. I must confess that I have only skimmed the last few comments on here but did you use Disk Utility to erase and reformat the USB before creating the ISO? I would run it a couple of times to properly make sure it's reformatted properly.

Not really relevant until you can successfully boot into the Windows installer, and it's been a while since I boot camped, but I do remember that during the process Windows prompted me to reformat the FAT32 partition as NTFS.
    apple-signature.png
    edited April 2019
    Okay so it seems that first - the space issue thing is a problem since High Sierra causing Time Machine to backup as local snapshots. following two guides ( https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/326377/bootcamp-the-startup-disk-does-not-have-enough-space-to-be-partitioned )
    I went to Terminal:
    • sudo tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 999999999999

and I found YT video ( https://youtu.be/JfvYkhXrqAs ) that mentioned how to check to see if you still have snapshots I thought I'd mention:
    • sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

I did that and found one still left so I only to delete one by hand:
    • tmutil deletelocalsnapshots (DATE-AND-NUMBER-YOU-SEE-IN-YOUR-TERMINAL)

back to the first source, you can also double check your storage with this command btw:
    • diskutil apfs resizecontainer disk0s2 limits

Back to BootCampAssitance, I know it's working this since the 3rd option is no longer greyed out and im not getting the error anymore. NowI'm also not sure if I need to uncheck the first two options 'Create a Win10.' since I already have my USB ready to install but even after connecting it I can't seem to skip to step two or three so at this point I'll go through with each step.

Seems fine till halfway I get 'Your bootable USB drive could not be created.' and 'error occurred basically. Apple (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206202https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206202) gives a solution: try using the April 2018 ISO file instead of October update.

So I do download and do that and halfway through it seems to fails this time: 'not enough space'. I'm googling, I'm seeing issues of people not being able to use sound - probably the same stuff you saw @puzzlezaddict (https://www.reddit.com/r/bootcamp/comments/9ypjrt/unable_to_create_bootable_usb_not_enough_space_on/) But wait there's more cause now it's not recognizing my flash drive. There's are recommendations to just drag the ISO onto the usb and another to format the drive to ExFat so I do both. >Open it with Disk Utility and 'erase' with ExFat already the default. Success.
    >Drag the ISO to USB. Seems like it worked.
    >Then let Bootcamp do the Windows Support software on the USB.

It's still going and after that, I'm assuming I'll try BootCamp to install windows otherwise Idk what'll I'll do after that point. I have to go though so maybe I'll get to post again tonight.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see your post bella and also the Support software just failed to saved so I don't know what I'll do at this point but I do g2g so to be continued...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top