Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What size is your desk top monitor?

Friday, I asked someone how much it will be to build a computer that can handle Sims 3. It was getting late, and they said they will look up all the information, and get me a quote on Monday. Currently, I have a 19-inch monitor, but my husband wants to get a 56-inch monitor, and I'm not so sure about that. But this got me to thinking about what size monitors do others have? If you don't mind me asking what size is yours, and are you happy with the size?

Comments

• jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    My gamer laptop is 19' and my computer screen is a 24' gamer one. I would have bought a 28' but there was no room for it on my desk as I have shelves filled with school work right above it. I would say 56' is too big, even though I'm a partisan of the bigger the better! :joy: Only because with such a huge screen you'll have to be seated quite a distance from it...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello, I lost part of my sight in my right eye so I use the largest laptop screen I could find which is 17.3". I have been considering a desk top for some time but I was thinking of a monitor at most 22". For me anything larger would be overwhelming when playing for long periods. After all we generally sit much closer to our monitors than we would a television screen.

Anyway I do hope you and your husband can reach an agreed monitor size so that you are both happy and comfortable. It is exciting when getting a new computer especially if you haven't played for a while.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    My main display is a 34 inch curved in 3440x1440 resolution, and my 2nd and 3rd monitors are both 32 inch monitors in 1920x1080
    p8L4V6v.png
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    jillbg wrote: »
    My gamer laptop is 19' and my computer screen is a 24' gamer one. I would have bought a 28' but there was no room for it on my desk as I have shelves filled with school work right above it. I would say 56' is too big, even though I'm a partisan of the bigger the better! :joy: Only because with such a huge screen you'll have to be seated quite a distance from it...

56 feet?! I'd say that's too big. ;)

A 56" monitor would probably be too big for a desk as well. I find the 21" monitor I have now to be just fine. AAMOF, I use Sims 3 in windowed most almost all the time anyway. It's not like it's super hi-res or you need to see tiny details anyway.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    bklienhart wrote: »
    jillbg wrote: »

56 feet?! I'd say that's too big. ;)

A 56" monitor would probably be too big for a desk as well. I find the 21" monitor I have now to be just fine. AAMOF, I use Sims 3 in windowed most almost all the time anyway. It's not like it's super hi-res or you need to see tiny details anyway.

I thought the OP was talking in cm first, as I didn't even know you could get computer screens that big! :o
    NymlADp.jpg
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I have two 24" monitors, but having just one of those monitors on fits my needs when simming.

You definitely won't want a huge TV-sized display if you're going to be playing at a desk. You'll end up turning and tilting your head a lot just to see different areas of the screen, and the pixels will just be huge and ugly up close. If you plan to be sitting at a good distance, like on a couch or in bed with a wireless keyboard and mouse, that's when playing on a TV comes in handy. That's how my brother plays games, but I never found it ideal.

If you're talking about a 56" ultrawide monitor, that's a different story and is similar to having two monitors side-by-side. The extra screen real estate is kind of overkill when simming but can be fun for having Netflix on in your peripheral vision, or having a full browser or Windows Explorer open for organizing screenshots if you find yourself doing those kinds of things a lot when you play.

When sitting at your desk, try to imagine how much screen you can comfortably see without having to move your head at all. At one point, I thought that 32" was the perfect size for me, but I ended up still turning my head a lot to read at the edges of the screen and it was a strain on my neck/eyes. I downgraded to 24" (but two of them just to spoil myself) which has been perfect for my desk size and how far I usually sit from it.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I can tell you the average user doesn't have a 56" monitor. A 56" TV is more likely.

I have a 25" Widescreen but if I had more desk space, I would get a 32" or 35" monitor. Think of how much space you have. Get measuring tape out and measure out a few sizes to see what you're comfortable with. Going up in size will take some time to adjust but then you get used to it. *Also, if you can afford the extra cash... I recommend getting a monitor with an IPS panel. The color accuracy is beautiful and the image quality is so clear.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited April 2019
    I prefer smaller for TS3. I just lost my small one (19") and I lost my ergonomic position and now I guess I contort because my neck hurts after playing awhile and I have to leave for longer than I would otherwise.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Yes, I thought the 56 was really too large. I could easily picture nothing larger than a 24 before things would get a bit wonky. At that larger size, I'm thinking my husband wants to play the game while sitting on the couch.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Mine is about 23". I never thought I'd make better use of a bigger monitor, especially not for the game.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have a 27" widescreeen, and I recommend against using a larger monitor for gaming. It was my husband's he wanted a bigger monitor to double as a tv in the computer room. I've been using it since mine went out, I don't like it at all, I will definitely go smaller when I replace mine. Depending on how close I'm sitting, some UI elements are out of my peripheral vision and it's awkward to look at the entire screen at once. It's more comfortable for the eyes to look at something slightly narrow, at least in my experience. It doesn't matter as much with a TV as you are sitting further back.
  • TrycTryc Posts: 123 Member
    I actually use televisions as monitors. I have a 42" a 32" a 22", and I use wireless keyboard and mouse because I prefer to not sit at a desk. This way I can binge watch on Netflix/Hulu and play games at the same time.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I have a 56" monitor but only because my old 19" went out and its what we had available to us (My brother in law does a lot of home entertainment which is hooked into his pc and he upgraded recently) its sort of nice to be able to open multiple windows and still play the game in a rather nicely sized window of its own, though I don't recommend it because the size is just too much...It takes up a great deal of my desktop and I've got an huge old oak office desk (from back when they still used typewriters. antique at this point)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • SmiiiliiieSmiiiliiie Posts: 7 New Member
    I have a 13'' laptop, which I use mostly for university, and it' really conveniert and light to carry around every day, but of course quite small for playing the Sims.
    That's why I usually plug it onto a 24'' monitor when I play, and I really like that size! Doesn't have to be larger in my opinion :)
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Remember that the resolution is important, because you need a graphics card that can handle it. A big monitor with low resolution will look pixelated, and for gaming on one with high resolution you'll need a higher-end graphics card. A GTX 1060 6GB works fine for Sims 3 on a 2560x1440 monitor.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I have a 22" monitor for my desktop and it's perfect, not too big, not too small.
  • yesme88yesme88 Posts: 316 Member
    I have a 19 inch, I feel like its the perfect size for me. Before that I had a 17inch and it was nice considering before that I had a 12. The12 was way too small.