Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Advice on these laptop specs

Hi everyone! I bet you all are tired of this question lol but I want to know if this computer will run the Sims 3 and all expansions, stuff packs, and 80% store content on mostly high settings:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602

I'm planning on buying this today hopefully. The last laptop I got to play sims 3 still struggles with the game, even though it met specs. I'm hoping this will be a much needed upgrade.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    That laptop or one with its specs will run the entire game on reasonably high to high settings. The 8 GB of RAM is fine for Windows 10 and TS3, though you could add more later if you needed to. I would find the 256 GB drive too limiting over time, but it's a Solid State Drive (SSD) which is good for TS3 and the larger ones tend to drive the price tag way up. It also depends on what other uses you will have for this laptop and what convenient forms of external storage you have or plan to have as to how much drive space you will need.

Although I don't usually shop/browse at Best Buy because better values can often be found elsewhere if one can wait for shipping, this one seems decently priced while it's on sale.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    edited April 2019
    Thanks that is all I needed to know! Luckily there is an option to add a hard drive or just get an external one once the need arises.

Edit: @igazor I noticed you said "reasonably high to high settings". I usually play with everything maxed other than reflections, lot and tree details, and draw distance. This laptop wouldn't haven't a problem with those settings?
    Post edited by xitneverendss on
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I would guess what igazor meant is that the hardware in that laptop is right on the edge of what could be expected to run TS3 on the highest settings without struggling at all. Some people have that processor and graphics card and max out all the settings; others may have to turn things down just a bit. This will depend some on playstyle and cc preferences; high poly count hairs are particularly taxing to render. There's also the fact that each computer is slightly different and can perform a bit differently.

If you're still shopping around, I could try to find you something a bit stronger than the model you linked. But I doubt very much that there's anything better for that price, especially if you want an SSD.
    edited April 2019
    I would guess what igazor meant is that the hardware in that laptop is right on the edge of what could be expected to run TS3 on the highest settings without struggling at all. Some people have that processor and graphics card and max out all the settings; others may have to turn things down just a bit. This will depend some on playstyle and cc preferences; high poly count hairs are particularly taxing to render. There's also the fact that each computer is slightly different and can perform a bit differently.

If you're still shopping around, I could try to find you something a bit stronger than the model you linked. But I doubt very much that there's anything better for that price, especially if you want an SSD.

@puzzlezaddict Ah I see. Yeah, I bought the laptop already as my current one is just totally shot and this is the only opportunity I would have a little extra cash to get one for a while. As I said above, I usually don't max EVERYTHING out. Tree and lot details, reflections, view distance, and even anti-aliasing I don't put on the max settings. This laptop should be able to handle that, right?

Either way this is a big step up for me, my other laptop has a much older processer and a 960m.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    The most taxing graphics settings are water and high-detail lots, even on overpowered systems—the game engine itself will struggle to keep up if these settings are maxed out. (I keep these two on "mirrors only" and 2, respectively.) The other settings are much less demanding, and you can probably use the highest settings. You can always try it, and then back off a bit if you notice any trouble. Make sure the laptop isn't running too hot as well; if it is, elevate it (put books or something underneath the corners) or get a cooling pad.

Also, you might only notice a performance difference when the game has to render rain, snow, or hail. Or you may only see some issues with high poly cc. You can choose not to use that cc, or to turn down your graphics settings slightly during inclement weather. But again, the only way to find out is to try. If you're interested, I can recommend some monitoring software so you can keep an eye on your hardware's temperature and performance, but again, your computer should at minimum run the game with most settings maxed out.
    @puzzlezaddict thank you ☺️
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Whoops, sorry for leaving you hanging there. I saw the "That's all I needed to know" post but not the subsequent edit with the follow-up question so didn't get paged back into this thread. But I see you got some really good answers (as always) from puzzlez in the meantime. Enjoy your new laptop!
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net