Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like separate clothes layers ? (Instead of top and jacket/sweater combos)

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
edited April 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It’s always bugging me. Each time I use the leather jacket from Get Together for instance I wish it could be separated and worn with a dress or just a different top. Why can’t we chose ? Does anybody feel the same ?
Post edited by Dianesims on

Would you like separate clothes layers ? (Instead of top and jacket/sweater combos) 81 votes

Yes I’d love it!
86%
Akl500PBluefairy286Jaline33SimburianCynnainvisiblgirlMagdaleenatommynocker001Moon_Willowfruitsbasket101ApparentlyAwesomeCinebarLauralou64BariSaxyJoAnne65bobbyjo727orlyonokdetermigKLAlexistaydev 70 votes
I don’t really mind.
13%
JasePlayerSinger2010Writin_RegfriendlysimmersBagoas77drake_mccartySavvySimmiecrazycat_135CupidIzzeh96ListentoToppDogg 11 votes

Comments

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don’t really mind.
    No. Honestly the more time I spend in CAS the more frustrated I get.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    As I said I'd love it. It would allow us to make more unique outfits. I don't know why it's not possible ?
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    That's a great idea. There's quite a few shirts, jackets etc. that my sims would wear, if it wasn't for the other layers that come with them which just aren't their style. It would give us a lot more options, particularly male sims who really could do with more clothing anyway.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I either get my wish or stop playing: Considering how many things we can put separately on our sims' lower bodies (pants, shoes, socks, leggins), it's ridiculous that we only get one garment for the entire upper half (well, two if you count gloves). I would definitely appreciate jackets, boleros, and pullovers with open zippers as a separate category that can be freely combined with other tops like T-shirts and tank tops, or even entire outfits like dresses. Also, Seasons not adding scarves as accessories was such a missed opportunity!

Someone has made a long-sleeved shirt as an accessory to wear under other tops, and that alone already opens up so many possibilities for new outfits that I can't even imagine how much more different our sims could look if the developers had implemented a feature like that themselves. But perhaps we'll get it eventually...
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Living in a changeable climate I want scarves, shawls, or wraps and the ability to put them or plus/a raincoat or jacket over indoor clothes when going outdoors and/or not taken off automatically when going inside again without having to choose what to wear all the time.

We don't all dry off immediately the sun comes out again. I suppose that comes with making a game in San Francisco.
    Yes I’d love it!
    That's another thing that bugs me. When I go out I grab my coat and scarf and put them OVER what I'm wearing, I don't completely change my outfit, and then when I go back inside I don't keep my coat and hat on.....and also if it's cold I'll just put a sweater on inside rather than a coat. My sims will keep their coat and hat inside even when the heat is on.....I also thought we'd get scarves as accessories. Also I'd like some of the coats to be separate to wear them with whatever I want.
    Simburian wrote: »
    Living in a changeable climate I want scarves, shawls, or wraps and the ability to put them or plus/a raincoat or jacket over indoor clothes when going outdoors and/or not taken off automatically when going inside again without having to choose what to wear all the time.

We don't all dry off immediately the sun comes out again. I suppose that comes with making a game in San Francisco.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    I think I read somewhere that layering clothing wouldn't be an easy thing to program, but it already happens with some accessories. The problem is always clipping or what ends up on top of the other layer. I'm a scarf fan, too, like Simburian - essential about eight months of the year when outdoors, but also useful in my office, which is normally rather cold. (And I tend to buy clothes for comfort rather than style. Scarves are an inexpensive way to give myself a little more flair.)

There are a number of outfits in CAS that I would like but I don't like the top underneath, or the pants (in a full-body outfit). It was all designed as one item of clothing (it's not as if the shirt underneath actually exists as a separate item). And I do like to use the full-body outfits, especially for categories that aren't likely to be used much. (If I have a toddler who ages up from baby in Winter, it's unlikely that she's going to wear the swimsuit or hot weather outfit more than once, if at all.)

What makes me bang my head against the desk is when the shirt underneath the jacket is a different colour, and when I go to match a skirt or pants to the top, every swatch clashes with the shirt. (The jacket is white, the shirt is light purple. The skirt comes in black with a matching light purple, or white with a medium purple. Or comes in every colour except purple and plain white. Or white that is actually grey.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    If we could get layers in the sims 2 for console, which came out around 2006 which is13 years ago mind you, we should be able to get layers in TS4. 'Nough said. 🤷
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    I downloaded a mod that turned out to be a separate cardigan. So exciting! A bit glitchy, but definitely worth it!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    I would love to have separate layers in this game. Was just thinking about this the other day while trying to make a new sim.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Yes, we could layer clothes in the Sim Creator that came with The Sims original game. I have missed that for a very long time. Add a sweater, a belt etc. Made some outfits worth the time of layering.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • tommynocker001tommynocker001 Posts: 187 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Can I choose my odd socks for my erratic sim? Can she wear them on her hands and use them as glove puppets? Could she get social skill off of them? ;)
    edited April 2019
    Yes I’d love it!
    I think I read somewhere that layering clothing wouldn't be an easy thing to program, but it already happens with some accessories...
    Alpha layers. The best I can think of is Saints Row 2, which allowed the player to add different clothes in certain layers.
    If you had four layers, you could add trousers in layer 1 and long boots in layer 2 and the trousers would be tucked into your boots. The other way around would have trousers over boots. The same for every other piece of clothing. You could wear underwear outside your trousers, a tee shirt on top of your jumper... the sky would be the limit. Once you had finished designing your layers you could compress them all together to a single skin to save on render time in game.

Having socks and shirt on layer 1 and trousers on layer 2 would mean the socks and shirt would be tucked into your trousers (being on the lowest layer). Add a jumper on layer 3 and it would be outside your trousers (being on a higher layer). Add a tee shirt on layer 4 and it would be outside your jumper... etc...

As for adding it into game? Anything is possible for a talented programmer...
    Post edited by tommynocker001 on
    Yes I’d love it!
    I think I read somewhere that layering clothing wouldn't be an easy thing to program, but it already happens with some accessories. The problem is always clipping or what ends up on top of the other layer. I'm a scarf fan, too, like Simburian - essential about eight months of the year when outdoors, but also useful in my office, which is normally rather cold. (And I tend to buy clothes for comfort rather than style. Scarves are an inexpensive way to give myself a little more flair.)

There are a number of outfits in CAS that I would like but I don't like the top underneath, or the pants (in a full-body outfit). It was all designed as one item of clothing (it's not as if the shirt underneath actually exists as a separate item). And I do like to use the full-body outfits, especially for categories that aren't likely to be used much. (If I have a toddler who ages up from baby in Winter, it's unlikely that she's going to wear the swimsuit or hot weather outfit more than once, if at all.)

What makes me bang my head against the desk is when the shirt underneath the jacket is a different colour, and when I go to match a skirt or pants to the top, every swatch clashes with the shirt. (The jacket is white, the shirt is light purple. The skirt comes in black with a matching light purple, or white with a medium purple. Or comes in every colour except purple and plain white. Or white that is actually grey.)

I have downloaded some of the jackets as accessories, there are clipping issues but not with everything. I think the developers could solve that problem though.
    See here, it's not great fashion, I was just trying stuff. Here with my sims Casey and Hailey who are sisters (Hailey is the younger sister, but you can't tell because all teens look the same age....). There's a weird shadow/stripe with the leather jacket, I don't know why.

21liotj.png
    2r7yeqb.png
    qyh8qg.png
    f4gox5.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Well, they already made it so that certain tops go into certain pants, and certain pants go into certain boots. It slightly changes the mesh of the top / pants as soon as you put on the pants / boots. Avoiding the clipping of more than one garment on top of each other should work in a similar way, no?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    I don’t really mind.
    Not really as finding a week of clothes for my sims takes long enough as it is - I don't much care for anything that would lengthen that time every week when I change up their wardrobes. I have a lot of sims. Maybe just give us more color choices and that'd suit me a lot better.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don’t really mind.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    there are clipping issues but not with everything. I think the developers could solve that problem though.
    Making everything 100% compatible with a layering system isn't an easy problem to solve.
    I think if they wanted a system like that, the entire clothes system needed to be designed with it in mind. It's too late now.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Yes I’d love it!
    ... the entire clothes system needed to be designed with it in mind.

It'd certainly make for a great new stuff pack! :)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Yes I’d love it!

If they would add extra swatches for curtains, carpets and bedspreads to it I'd buy it! :D
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Yes please GIVE ME LAYER-ABLE JACKETS!! 😭
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    I'd love this! I'm using some accessoire jackets, it's a start at least.

If clothing layers are too complicated/lagge I'd apprecciate if they at least gave us all the tops that are currently worn under jackets as solo tops.

I often run into the problem that I give sims a jacket/t-shirt top, but then I have to select a different t-shirt for situations where the sim would take off the jacket. Example: They visit their friend in a t-shirt and jacket, then at the friend's place they not only take off the jacket, but also change into a different t-shirt.
    I don’t really mind.

There's no universe where that is stuffpack-level work. The texture mapping system would need to be redone and all the CAS objects as well :/
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yes I’d love it!
    Cupid wrote: »

There's no universe where that is stuffpack-level work. The texture mapping system would need to be redone and all the CAS objects as well :/

Why not? If modders can do it why not EA?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don’t really mind.
    Tbh I don't really mind it, but I'd also welcome the change.
    I don’t really mind.
    Cupid wrote: »

Why not? If modders can do it why not EA?

Modders do this by taking a clothing item and simply changing its slot assignment. This results in you being unable to use the original slot for its intended purpose, and also results in texture incompatibilities, as well as clipping. This "works" for people who use CC and are already expecting incompatibilities or inconsistencies in what they're downloading. It's not going to work for a company with standards of quality that need to be maintained.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)