Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building, and symmetry

I just wanted to throw this one out there and seek some opinion-

What are your thoughts on the symmetry of the space you live in?

Does symmetry fulfil your quest for order and 'sense' in your environment or do you more take the view that symmetry is boring?

Personally, I find symmetry boring and lacking the visual intrigue that a few misplaced rooms and roofs offer- How about you?

I like planning/building places. Not one of my places may qualify as groundbreaking, breathtaking or EPIC, but there are a few rough gems there. I like trying to find a visually appealing balance betweeen order and disorder.
WET PAINT

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Symmetry is easier, and apparently I am lazy in that regard because I tend to use it a lot. For visual interest, however, my favorite homes have all been rather unsymmetrical. So I agree with you, but am still learning to actually practice it in my my own builds.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Symmetry is very often boring, it is easy, but I find it boring. I used to think I liked it, but having thought a lot more about it and done a lot more building, symmetry is not what I like at all and I find myself going in to correct most things even accidentally symmetrical.

I prefer balance. I prefer evenly weighted sides. I cringe at rooms with mirrored halves. I also don't like to see all the heavy furniture on one side or all the tall pieces on one side. Balance, flow and interest. Grab my attention and make it flow effortlessly around the room. I don't want to see mirrored sofas unless it is a hotel lobby. Even then, no. Be interesting. For me it is most about balance.

I also don't like to see homes with one or two kinds of windows only. I swear some of mine have about a dozen different styles and I think they can work together.

Some things by their nature are bound to be more symmetrical like a typical Colonial style house (5 over 4 with a door), but a few simple tweaks and it doesn't look like a big monopoly piece.

I do admit to placing matching candlesticks on either side of a fireplace mantle flanking a mirror because sometimes symmetry is easy.
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I like things balanced and use the Rule of Three for accent pieces. I use symmetric placement on focus walls because it looks clean. In placing furnishings, I use the function over form idea. I want the sims to be able to use what I place without tripping over one another or blocking a path.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    I definitely prefer balance over symmetry. Look at Ruthless_KK's builds for a good example - her builds are perfectly balanced, but never symmetrical.
  • StealthSNAKEStealthSNAKE Posts: 7 New Member
    I wish there was a option to mirror opjects to make them symmetric since I play on Xbox one there is alot of opjects I would mirror the other way arround but still not having that option 😭
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    If you're interested in what not to do with your house try:

http://mcmansionhell.com/

Warning: may cause uncontrollable hideous laughter.
  • SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    I just wanted to throw this one out there and seek some opinion-

What are your thoughts on the symmetry of the space you live in?

Does symmetry fulfil your quest for order and 'sense' in your environment or do you more take the view that symmetry is boring?

Personally, I find symmetry boring and lacking the visual intrigue that a few misplaced rooms and roofs offer- How about you?

I like planning/building places. Not one of my places may qualify as groundbreaking, breathtaking or EPIC, but there are a few rough gems there. I like trying to find a visually appealing balance betweeen order and disorder.

It depends upon what style or architectural/era i am building my house for. Colonial. Adams Era, Craftsman - these call for symmetry at least on the "curb appeal" - modern, ecletic, 50s - these are better if not symmetrical

• EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    bklienhart wrote: »
    If you're interested in what not to do with your house try:

http://mcmansionhell.com/

Warning: may cause uncontrollable hideous laughter.

Okay while this may have left me doubled with laughter for about 10 minutes please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2014, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top