Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need Tips on Transfiguring Gems, Metals and Relics

There are so many ways to make good money in The Sims 3, that I keep forgetting to ask about this. However, I want to try new things that I haven't done in TS3 yet. I took a look at Carl's Sims 3 Guide about transfiguring gems, metals and relics. It is concise but I would still like to know of other simmers' experiences with doing this, so if you have, PLEASE post here and let me know how you did things step by step. What was the greatest value you achieved in transfiguring each type of item? What were your favorite gems and gem cuts to use? What were your favorite metals? What was the greatest value did you get for:

Supernovium
Compendium
Soulpeace
Skull-Cut Gem

I already have the gem cutter and the glass & jewelry station which can smelt metals so there is no need to consider costs for mailing away gems and metals. I'm honestly a little overwhelmed since there are so many options and I'm not the most organized with keeping account of all the combinations that can be had (I have the same problem with making wine since there are so many options so I haven't gone in-depth with that either). Anyway, I read you can get rich very quickly with this which is why I hadn't come around to this yet, but I want to try being able to make good money just exploring and collecting gems and metals. Thanks!

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    It's been years since I transfigured gems to make skull cut gems. I had a room full of them but never much cared about the value as I only did it for the pretty colours :D I believe I used Carl's Sims 3 Guide back then and found the instructions to be very easy to understand and had no failures when I made them. I do remember thinking at the time that the value of the skull cut gems was not that great given the combined value of the gems that went into making them.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2019
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    It's been years since I transfigured gems to make skull cut gems. I had a room full of them but never much cared about the value as I only did it for the pretty colours :D I believe I used Carl's Sims 3 Guide back then and found the instructions to be very easy to understand and had no failures when I made them. I do remember thinking at the time that the value of the skull cut gems was not that great given the combined value of the gems that went into making them.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I don't have a problem with how to transfigure those things and it's a great idea to use them to decorate, but I'm wondering about the greatest value other simmers have achieved in light of the fact that each transfiguration costs 500 simoleons. You also mentioned that the value of the skull cut gems wasn't that great, but what gems did you use?

It's just that my current sims travels a lot and she collected a ton of gems and metals in her travels. I keep putting it off, but I don't want to just sell them at the elixir consignment store as is. I want to find ways to maximize their value before I put them up for sale. I want to see if my sim can make a good living from just collecting and processing them. Anyway, I will try some combinations out and post it here.

Off topic: It is really too easy to get rich in The Sims 3 sometimes with the right LTRs and traits! My current sim has the Born Saleswoman trait and Suave Seller LTR. She went scuba diving and caught two eels as well as other valuable sea life so she went to the diner to check for diving work and they requested the two eels. She goes in and they gave her more than 33,000 simoleons! WHAT?!?? Then I consigned the rest of the seafood and I got a ton of money from that too! That is so insane and wish real life was like that, lol! I have no complaints about making money in TS3 though - I can still make it harder for myself to make money if I wished - it was such a nice surprise though!

I had skull cut gems of most of the gems available to me so I would have had tiberium, soulpeace, pink diamond, rainbow gems and many of the gems available from traveling. Some of the skulls were very valuable but not in comparison to what went into them.
    I had skull cut gems of most of the gems available to me so I would have had tiberium, soulpeace, pink diamond, rainbow gems and many of the gems available from traveling. Some of the skulls were very valuable but not in comparison to what went into them.

Oh those gems are very valuable in and of themselves! It's terrible that the skull cut isn't that great to increase value. What a waste! I don't see the point in introducing that cut then? I wish it had special powers or something if transfiguration is the only way to get that cut.

Also from what I read, you can have tiberium cut into spire cut, but from my experience, if you take it out of your inventory and leave it alone somewhere, it becomes a large spire cut tiberium on its own. I don't see the point in getting it cut through the mail. I know from other gem cuts that when you cut it yourself sometimes you get dust along with the finished product. I will try that out too if the gem cutter does spire cuts.
    I usually get tiberium cut by the cheapest option and then leave it in the yard to become a large spire. I get it cut through the mail because I don't have whatever EP/Store item necessary to cut my own.
    I usually get tiberium cut by the cheapest option and then leave it in the yard to become a large spire. I get it cut through the mail because I don't have whatever EP/Store item necessary to cut my own.

The gem cutter is from the Supernatural EP, but I know not everyone is into occult life states. The EP has other nice features though (like the world it comes with, Moonlight Falls, and my favorite wicker furniture) and you can turn off all the occult life states if you want in Options. It's also easy to prevent zombies from showing up - just keep the moon phase on any one of its phases except full moon. That's how I have set up my current game - no occult life states or zombies. Because when my sims ae adventuring through the vacation worlds, sometimes they come out of the tombs in the middle of the night. I don't want my sims to run into any supernaturals on a full moon when that happens!

I own all the EPs but haven't tried them yet. I am thinking I will add another EP some time soon and I am tossing up between Supernatural and Pets. I am not fond of occult states but use all kinds of mods so they will never be an issue as animals won't be if I choose to go with Pets. I just need to decide which would add more content that is my cup of tea.
    Thanks for the info :)
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy You do get some advantage by cutting the tiberium into spire cuts. As you thought, you get gem dust which also grows into large tiberium spires. So, you'll get two or three out of your one tiberium find.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited April 2019
    I own all the EPs but haven't tried them yet. I am thinking I will add another EP some time soon and I am tossing up between Supernatural and Pets. I am not fond of occult states but use all kinds of mods so they will never be an issue as animals won't be if I choose to go with Pets. I just need to decide which would add more content that is my cup of tea.
    Thanks for the info :)

Oh wow, you're patient! I tore through the EPs as soon as got each one! I really love both of the EPs you've yet to try so I think you'll enjoy them both even without the occult life states or pets! They both have nice worlds (I especially love Moonlight Falls - so beautiful and atmospheric - and looks lovely through all four seasons), and new build/buy items that I'm sure you will find favorites, music, harvestables, recipes, and books. I like that they both have new rabbithole structures so if you ever get bored of the standard ones, you can replace them with these. Considering that they have specific themes, I do find to my pleasant surprise, that I use a lot of the furniture from both EPs for all the other worlds I play, that I can change their look with CASt to make them fit in with the other worlds.

If you're feeling adventurous, try turning off vehicle transportation with NRaas mods and have your sims use horses as transportation only. I tried that for one of my zombie apocalypse challenge playthroughs where my active household was the only one using them (the rest of the town were zombies so I didn't place any horses and stalls in their home lots). Game and computer still ran well. Someday I'll try a regular farming low-population neighborhood (maybe 15 families?) where each household has a horse and see how my game and computer handles it. It would also need a world that doesn't have anything that can trap horses - maybe that's why Appaloosa Plains is so flat in most of the map.

Edit: One of the nice things about riding horses is that not only can you ride them to follow the roads, but they can travel off road too. No vehicle, broom or flying vacuum cleaner can do that.

Anyway, I'm actually excited for you! You WILL have fun with all the other stuff you can add to your gameplay from these two EPs!
    Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
    suzses wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy You do get some advantage by cutting the tiberium into spire cuts. As you thought, you get gem dust which also grows into large tiberium spires. So, you'll get two or three out of your one tiberium find.

Thank you so much for this! I think tiberium isn't that easy to find in the first place so getting more out of one is great!
    edited April 2019
    Was a duplicate of a previous post. Not sure how I did that!
    @ClarionOfJoy Thanks :) I am looking forward to trying another EP but I am ever mindful that my laptop is probably not capable of running much more than what I currently have installed because I am not willing to lower my settings just for more content. I don't build or decorate so build/buy objects aren't of much interest to me. Genetics and raising big families is my focus in the game and their surroundings, although I do notice them, aren't important unless they are really bad. I am looking forward to seeing what new outfits each EP adds and new harvestables and recipes are always welcome because all my sims cook and garden. Perhaps it is not patience but but just the pace this old lady prefers to move at ;)

I'm not sure I would want my sims riding horses but using them as the only means of transportation does sound like fun and could be useful for story telling purposes or challenges. I don't write but I do love taking pics and documenting my saves in Stories and Legacies.

@ClarionOfJoy Thanks :) I am looking forward to trying another EP but I am ever mindful that my laptop is probably not capable of running much more than what I currently have installed because I am not willing to lower my settings just for more content. I don't build or decorate so build/buy objects aren't of much interest to me. Genetics and raising big families is my focus in the game and their surroundings, although I do notice them, aren't important unless they are really bad. I am looking forward to seeing what new outfits each EP adds and new harvestables and recipes are always welcome because all my sims cook and garden. Perhaps it is not patience but but just the pace this old lady prefers to move at ;)

I'm not sure I would want my sims riding horses but using them as the only means of transportation does sound like fun and could be useful for story telling purposes or challenges. I don't write but I do love taking pics and documenting my saves in Stories and Legacies.

Ah! I see! In light of that, I think the Supernatural EP might be a good choice to try next. The Pets EP is heavily Pets themed - all the new recipes are for pets' meals! It only has one harvestable: carrot. Sims can eat that though. Supernatural adds a lot of nice recipes and harvestables some of which can be used to make elixirs and potions. You don't have to make the elixirs/potions, but you can still grow these particular harvestables and either sell them or consign them. Plus Supernatural has the gem cutter!

Supernatural clothes are generally victorian/gothic/steampunk which can be nice, but also have some that are appropriate for each occult life state. There's a set of torn clothing styles that are normally used for the werewolves, but I find them pretty useful for my sim survivors in the zombie apocalypse challenges too. I'm not crazy about a lot of the hairstyles, hats and makeup though because a lot of those are also more appropriate for the occult life states. You'll see what I mean. I think the only thing was truly disappointed about was that there were very few things for children, and nothing at all for toddlers. If you don't like these styles at all, you can hide them from CAS with MC. I don't always need these type of styles for each game so that's what I do.

@ClarionOfJoy Thanks for that great breakdown on what I can expect from both EPs :) I did check out what hair and clothes each EP came with on YouTube and decided that Pets has clothes more to my taste but that wouldn't be the deciding factor since I have my own style already and have lots of Store and CC outfits to suit. I also have my favourite EA and CC hairs pretty much covered :)

I am probably leaning more towards Supernatural but, as always, am super slow on doing anything :D I like to install new EPs when I am between long-term saves. I am currently playing two saves - one short term and one long - but the long one as been going for a while and I will probably move on once the kids have grown up. I will install something when I am done :) Thanks again :)
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    Wish I would have seen this when you first posted - transmogrification is my favorite way to make dem sims baybay (hehe)

I'm pretty sure that the question has already been answered but in case it hasn't

The best way to make money with transmogrification is by turning gems into soul pieces and then cutting them into heart shapes and listing them at the elixir shoppe. For transmogrifiying gems into soul pieces you need 2 - 4 different cuts (including dust, which is super nice) and 5 different types of gems. This means as long as you have 5 different types of uncut gemstones and $500 simoleans you can make upwards of $30K easy.. Cut each gem into the highest gem shape you can. Use only ONE cut gem and fill the rest of the spaces with the dust of four OTHER types of gemstones (you can use more than one cut gem if you run out of dust.) This will produce a soulpiece. Cut the soulpiece into the highest shape you can, keep the dust, consign the cut soul pieces. You should easily be able to produce 3 or more cut soul pieces from every 5 stones. While you're at the elixir shoppe buy every gem they have, multiple times if you can. Heart shaped soul pieces will consign for tens of thousands of simoleans.

With metals, smelt them and then transmogriphy 2-4 different types of metal into compendium, which will always be worth at *least* the total worth of the individual metals plus a good 15% on top of that - which is also exponential in that you can use a compendium ingot as one of the 2 - 4 types of metals so you're building wealth on wealth.

Here's a fantastic breakdown of the different things you can get from transfiguration on MTS :)

https://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Transfiguration

Hope that helps if you hadn't already received that into! :)
    Wish I would have seen this when you first posted - transmogrification is my favorite way to make dem sims baybay (hehe)

I'm pretty sure that the question has already been answered but in case it hasn't

The best way to make money with transmogrification is by turning gems into soul pieces and then cutting them into heart shapes and listing them at the elixir shoppe. For transmogrifiying gems into soul pieces you need 2 - 4 different cuts (including dust, which is super nice) and 5 different types of gems. This means as long as you have 5 different types of uncut gemstones and $500 simoleans you can make upwards of $30K easy.. Cut each gem into the highest gem shape you can. Use only ONE cut gem and fill the rest of the spaces with the dust of four OTHER types of gemstones (you can use more than one cut gem if you run out of dust.) This will produce a soulpiece. Cut the soulpiece into the highest shape you can, keep the dust, consign the cut soul pieces. You should easily be able to produce 3 or more cut soul pieces from every 5 stones. While you're at the elixir shoppe buy every gem they have, multiple times if you can. Heart shaped soul pieces will consign for tens of thousands of simoleans.

With metals, smelt them and then transmogriphy 2-4 different types of metal into compendium, which will always be worth at *least* the total worth of the individual metals plus a good 15% on top of that - which is also exponential in that you can use a compendium ingot as one of the 2 - 4 types of metals so you're building wealth on wealth.

Here's a fantastic breakdown of the different things you can get from transfiguration on MTS :)

https://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Transfiguration

Hope that helps if you hadn't already received that into! :)

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for your advice! I was looking for this kind of tip. Carl's guide is good but it is too general - it doesn't discuss strategies on how to go about producing highest value end result. I appreciate this so much!
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    You're quite welcome! I have to say once I got the hang of it, it quickly became my favorite way to make simoleans hands down :) Then I can concentrate on fulfilling wishes or plot twists, etc. :)