Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    @Charliimai Wow, that was fast. I probably won't be ready until at least halfway through the month.

@lisabee2 Just to confirm... it's okay if we use characters from other stories, as long as the entry itself stands on its own and fits the parameters?

Yes Katrina, it is good (just know that folks who have never read you will not know who they are, so be sure to include some character dev in those few words)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    Charliimai wrote: »
    Gosh it's been a while since I popped by the forums. Happy to find the Monthly Simlit short story challenge open with a great first Theme. (I've been counting down the days till 1st of April. And now after a bit of a writing break I have been bitten again by the bug :D ) Soo Excited to be a part of it.

Here is my Entry for this month's Theme. At First Sight. It is exactly 600 word with 7 images.

@lisabee2 Let me know if anything is in violation of the challenge rules.

:/ edit to fix link (hope it's working had http down twice :( )

You are BLAZING fast and it was wonderful!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @lisabee2 Thanks! Appreciate it. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    I fixed the link to the Facebook page on the blog
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • QueeniePieQueeniePie Posts: 52 Member
    @lisabee2 So it looks like I can't post links to the forum yet. What do I have to do to fix that?
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    QueeniePie wrote: »
    @lisabee2 So it looks like I can't post links to the forum yet. What do I have to do to fix that?

There may be a few having difficulties with posting because they are new to the forum .. here is a great guide written by a former host of this challenge to help you move your membership along ...

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/879663/helpful-guides-to-the-forums-and-to-wordpress#latest
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Omg 600 words max? I've barely written anything under that amount :sob: and 7 screenshots only?

These limits make me sweat bullets :cold_sweat:
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Cement You can do it!

It seems hard at first, but it's impressive how much you can trim when you take a long, hard look at your wording. I'm guilty of using phrases with pointless extra words all the time.

aka "He nodded his head." (Really, self? What do you usually nod?)
    Or "He saw/heard X happen" as opposed to just saying "X happened."

It's not enough to take a 2,000-word piece under the 600-word limit, but I've often found I can shave off about 10-15% off my word count this way.

Which probably shows just how wordy my first drafts are. ^_^;;
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I haven't even started yet. I'm struggling with an idea still. But yeah. That limit is going to be hard for me. I'm determined to do it though. :)
    Cement wrote: »
    Omg 600 words max? I've barely written anything under that amount :sob: and 7 screenshots only?

These limits make me sweat bullets :cold_sweat:

I know you can .. <3 I have read your work!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Shadami wrote: »
    I haven't even started yet. I'm struggling with an idea still. But yeah. That limit is going to be hard for me. I'm determined to do it though. :)

I find that some times can I walk out my thoughts ... someplace safe where I can have a nice discussion with my self (MOSTLY internal) LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    @Cement You can do it!

It seems hard at first, but it's impressive how much you can trim when you take a long, hard look at your wording. I'm guilty of using phrases with pointless extra words all the time.

It's not enough to take a 2,000-word piece under the 600-word limit, but I've often found I can shave off about 10-15% off my word count this way.

Yes, excellent thoughts! I did find this out about myself too ... now hopefully, I don't drown my readers with excessive wordy explanations. I try to let them have a little bit of thinking room <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @Cement You can do it!

Yes, excellent thoughts! I did find this out about myself too ... now hopefully, I don't drown my readers with excessive wordy explanations. I try to let them have a little bit of thinking room <3

Nice to hear! I know my chapters are usually a bit long and hearing you guys discuss shaving off words makes me think too! Glad I'm not the only one! :)
    I have that trouble with screenshots too .. I have to ask myself over and over is this one or that one really all that interesting ... it feels kind of like throwing away pic of my kids LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    I have an idea, I'm kicking around but I don't know if it's a WINNER. Also dreading the CC spree I'll have to go on to screenshot it.

Maybe the best foolish story will be the one about me trying to screenshot this story.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Been doing a bunch of warm ups because I've been out of the writing game lately. Did some non sims stuff, 100 word drabble kind of things. No really story to them.
    Than some poetry or brush up on my ability to write something besides long description stuff.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll be able to find my story. :)
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    > @Cement said:
    > Omg 600 words max? I've barely written anything under that amount :sob: and 7 screenshots only?
    >
    > These limits make me sweat bullets :cold_sweat:

7,600 words, if you count the pictures!
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    And as promised I'm back with my just for fun entry. This was the story I had intended to enter but fell short of the 500 word minimum.
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

And as promised I'm back with my just for fun entry. This was the story I had intended to enter but fell short of the 500 word minimum.

@Charliimai There is no minimum .. you can pick whichever you want to enter
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    I have an idea, I'm kicking around but I don't know if it's a WINNER. Also dreading the CC spree I'll have to go on to screenshot it.

Maybe the best foolish story will be the one about me trying to screenshot this story.

WOOO WOO WOO .. cc shopping spree .. always a plus
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Shadami wrote: »
    Been doing a bunch of warm ups because I've been out of the writing game lately. Did some non sims stuff, 100 word drabble kind of things. No really story to them.
    Than some poetry or brush up on my ability to write something besides long description stuff.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll be able to find my story. :)

OHH now there is an idea .. short story in poetry form <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    lisabee2 wrote: »

@Charliimai There is no minimum .. you can pick whichever you want to enter

@lisabee2 my mistake now i'm torn...decisions decisions ?? I'll let you know what i decide when i get back home to my pc.
    cSXsPD.jpg

@lisabee2 I'm going to leave my entry as is. I love them both and cannot choose so I'm going to leave it as it is and just make sure I read the rules more carefully next time :D
    cSXsPD.jpg

• ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    > @katrinasforest said:
    > @Cement You can do it!
    >
    > It seems hard at first, but it's impressive how much you can trim when you take a long, hard look at your wording. I'm guilty of using phrases with pointless extra words all the time.
    >
    > aka "He nodded his head." (Really, self? What do you usually nod?)
    > Or "He saw/heard X happen" as opposed to just saying "X happened."
    >
    > It's not enough to take a 2,000-word piece under the 600-word limit, but I've often found I can shave off about 10-15% off my word count this way.
    >
    > Which probably shows just how wordy my first drafts are. ^_^;;

Thanks I needed to hear this. I hate when I add that stupid nodding his head. It’s just nod. I’m guilty of this. Or shrugging shoulders when it should be just shrug. I’m going to attempt this although not sure if I’ll be able to complete it for this first challenge. I may wait on the next one