Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Thanks for organizing this; it sounds like a blast!

Quick question about forum rules: I understand profanity isn't allowed in the forums, but are we also not allowed to post links to story blogs if they have strong language and adult themes? (This question seems like it should have already been answered, but I've spent the better part of an hour digging and can't find it.)

I am not sure about in general for posting links to .. I think it is ok. BUT I am not a forum experts so don't quote me.

However, for the short story challenge, it will be family friendly .. no adult language and no adult themes .. PG 13 .. rated T for teen .. we are forum based and this challenge will be shared in groups with over 18 and under 18. There is no way to control who has access to it.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    Screenshots are an integral part of simlit ... they are one of the things that sets SimLit Short Stories apart from other short stories. Quality and composition are important. For me they tell an important part of the story so do work on them. With very few words at your disposal they can fill in gaps that might burn up space. Take character development for instance ... one well done shot can introduce your protagonist and speak volumes to your readers about who they are with the need for only few words. One well thought out shot can bring your entire short story to resolution and conclusion with no words. The shots are your tools ...use them well ... I will be generous this month but there might be months ahead where that will not be the case.

Dark dull shots can be brightened up and sharpened or cropped to bring them to life. Some folks use reshade and it can make for unique eye catching screenies.

My best advice is to watch your composition .. use your tab key to get in close or pull out for a better shot ... swing your camera around for a different angle .. play with it and have fun. Look at the center of your screenie ... is it a dead zone? Swing around and get a better angle. I had this linked in the announcement blog but I will put it here too https://kotaku.com/how-to-step-up-your-screenshot-game-in-the-sims-4-1653301553

Using cc or poses is not necessary to great screenshots (I love to see great shots from a vanilla game) ... neither is any one game inherently better for screenies (some of my FAV screenies lately have been from a well-seasoned Sims 2 simmer).
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    I think reshade might be pushing my limits of what I can figure out this time around. As it is, I'll be trying to see if I can understand the pose player thing, since I've never used it before. I've always relied on "forcing" my sims to do certain things to get them into the pose I want. But it seems they get more and more rebellious with time, and that can get rather frustrating when dealing with multiple sims at the same time.
    chluke75 wrote: »
    I think reshade might be pushing my limits of what I can figure out this time around. As it is, I'll be trying to see if I can understand the pose player thing, since I've never used it before. I've always relied on "forcing" my sims to do certain things to get them into the pose I want. But it seems they get more and more rebellious with time, and that can get rather frustrating when dealing with multiple sims at the same time.

I fear reshade too ... I have the same issue with my simmies ... even with autonomy turned off the do what THEY WANT UGH
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    I haven't written a sims story in a couple years. I went back to school full time while working full time and... haven't really had the time. But I've been wanting to write again. This sounds like it could be a way to get back into the swing of things without committing to a big story. I'm interested to see what the challenge is Monday.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • WollybuttWollybutt Posts: 13 New Member
    I am envious of those who can use reshade...every time I've tried to install it it crashs my entire comp, not just my game. But I love seeing stories that use Reshade, just as long as the pics don't detract too much from the writing...ultimately stories are still about the words for me.
    April 2019 challenge theme has been posted (see the second comment on this thread for the link)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Nice first theme! I know exactly what I'm going to do now. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    Nice first theme! I know exactly what I'm going to do now. ^_^

I am excited
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Here comes my first short story in many many years. Probably 11 or so. XD
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited April 2019
    Gosh it's been a while since I popped by the forums. Happy to find the Monthly Simlit short story challenge open with a great first Theme. (I've been counting down the days till 1st of April. And now after a bit of a writing break I have been bitten again by the bug :D ) Soo Excited to be a part of it.

Here is my Entry for this month's Theme. At First Sight. It is exactly 600 word with 7 images.

@lisabee2 Let me know if anything is in violation of the challenge rules.

:/ edit to fix link (hope it's working had http down twice :( )
    Post edited by Charliimai on
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

I will be back at some point before the end of the month with the original story I wanted to submit however since I struggled to hit the word limit I want to enter it in the just for fun category. Time is a factor yet somehow I was lucky enough to have the morning to myself (kinda) but that is now over so I'll need a bit more time to devote to screenshots. :s

I'm looking forward to reading the other entries. ;)
    cSXsPD.jpg

@Charliimai Wow, that was fast. I probably won't be ready until at least halfway through the month.

@lisabee2 Just to confirm... it's okay if we use characters from other stories, as long as the entry itself stands on its own and fits the parameters?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    That was impressively fast. I'm ... Drawing a blank still.
    @katrinasforest my head is always full of story idea's. My problem is I usually forget to write them down before I forget them. (probably not that much of a problem there have been some crazy ones).

The challenge here is trying to fit one of those stories into the theme and wordcount. I know i got the wordcount right not too sure that readers will come away knowing the theme from reading my story. wish i had more time to spend tweaking but if i didnt get it done now i may not have had the chance later. And i'm way too impatient to have it done and not share. :D
    cSXsPD.jpg

edited April 2019
    Well, I didn't mean to, but I went and wrote the fic already. ^_^ Started at 800 words, so I had to trim it down, but I'm really happy with it now. Not sure when I'll get the chance to take the screenshots, but 30 days should be enough time. :)

@Charliimai I know what you mean. If you're worried about having enough time or forgetting about it later, better to do it now while the ideas are fresh in your head.

Those are some gorgeous screenshots, btw.
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Wow - you all are fast @katrinasforest and (always) @Charliimai !!

I do have two ideas that are wandering through my head right now (Munter, don't steal them! :P), but I'm staring at that word count limit and wow...that's going to make this tough - I got used to writing more!

Good luck ya'll!
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @Shadami wrote: »
    That was impressively fast. I'm ... Drawing a blank still.
    Super fast! And a great one.... I am with you - blank! Gonna be thinking though now that the theme has been released. I do want to enter.
  • feelingsmcgeefeelingsmcgee Posts: 45 Member
    I’m having trouble with Charliimai’s link. So I googled rainbowplumbob and found the Wordpress with your stories but I can’t find anything titled at first sight. I’m sorry, I’m probably missing something obvious. I don’t usually post on the forums ever and I’ve just started reading simlit so I’m sorry if I don’t know obvious things.
  • SylentwhysperSylentwhysper Posts: 65 Member
    Well, this looks interesting! :)
    WardHarthBanner1_zpspyw6omfp.png
  • feelingsmcgeefeelingsmcgee Posts: 45 Member
    Sorry everyone, I found the story. I’m embarrassed now... please forgive me I’ll probably have more stupid questions to come
    @feelingsmcgee don't be embarrassed it was my fault in my rush to post I neglected to check the link. Glad you found a work around. Also There are no stupid questions only the ones you don't ask. (I always say this to my little ones. I believe it's better to be embarrassed for a minute and have the answer than spend your life feeling foolish worrying over the question.)

cSXsPD.jpg

edited April 2019
    Sorry for the double post I'm on a mobile device and the comment box is refusing to cooperate. Thanks everyone for reading and the nice comments. @katrinasforest Taking Screenshots fill me with dread. They rarely come out the way I hope. Luckily this story only required basic stuff I already had poses for.
    cSXsPD.jpg

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    That word limit is absolutely killing me haha Not sure if I’ll be able to do something but we’ll see! I have missed the short story challenges!
    snvAF3B.png
    That word limit is absolutely killing me haha Not sure if I’ll be able to do something but we’ll see! I have missed the short story challenges!

LOL You are one of the ones I was talking about who can do a story with NO words .. (as you just proved) .. going to have a few of those down the line so keep your thinking cap on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger