Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dream Date sims, traits that are deal-breakers

Comments

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have a whole list.
    •Hates children
    •Evil
    •Mean
    •Unflirty
    •Noncommittal
    Huh, it seemed like more than that. I also have Sims date only within their age. If a sim has one of those traits, I just have my sim move on.

I’ll never forget the one time my sim married a mean sim and he laughed as he watched her burn to death. I was planning to have her get pregnant and then divorce him; so much for that.
    Post edited by Simtown15 on
  • AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2019
    @DevilNDisguise I kept a sim around that had The hates children trait, but he ended up being a great father. I think they hate other people’s kids, or maybe it was just him, Idk But I love your rationale for changing traits. I’ve done this as well, but changing them in CAS doesn’t work for some of the worst ones, that’s a well documented bug

@annaliese39
    You make a lot of good points about how so called “bad” traits can make a couple work together. They can make for very interesting story telling too. And yes, if a story seems to make a sim a better person, then I think the new tendencies of the sim in question should be changed. I mean, it happens in real life...

@mika - I agree, the unflirty trait is quite annoying. Although having your sims flirt with Everyone at a get together, right in front of their significant other, is almost worth them having unflirty. I find the constant flirting really unrealistic and annoying. I don’t see people act like that in real life - at least not when their spouse or partner is with them

@Arialisims Is it you yourself that’s yelling at them? 😂 Or the sim you’re playing? I do not like the gloomy trait, but lazy is ok with me, I find it to be pretty realistic, lol

@Dollyllama108 Thank you for you thoughts on erratic sims. I agree with you, that’s really no laughing matter. I don’t make sims have it, and often delete townie sims who do. And that’s super funny about how your sims always choose people who have it 😂

As for myself- Evil is a no-go. Erratic because of the mental illness issue. Gloomy is not fun, I try to avoid it. And non-commital is disheartening, because sometimes you can see how very much in love the sims are, and suddenly one is tense because they are stressed from being stuck in a relationship- yeah, whatever. Hates Children I’ll usually avoid, unless it’s in a male elder - that seems kinda realistic to me. Mean is also not great. When mean interactions are the first things that pop up you have to cycle through to find decent ones instead- too much work, lmao

I think it’s very interesting to hear what traits bother you guys, and the reasons! I actually like bro, it’s like the nice trait that’s more interesting, and has more hands-on interactions. I think there are not nearly enough hands-on things in the game. I really don’t mind jealous, it makes a relationship Very intense, and makes for great storylines, hot-headed can be fun, because it can be interesting to see what other sims can do to calm them down- lots of woohooing can be instigated by a sim who doesn’t want their loved one to be mad for no reason, lol. I’ve never seen a kleptomaniac sim steal something, so I think I’m doing something wrong with them. Childish and loves dogs/cats doesn’t really bother me. I have one guy who absolutely loves dogs and enthuses about them all the time, but I never let him get one, and he’s fine without one.

The thing I really really dislike is when one of them turn out to be a “furry” Yuck- instant deletion from my game.

SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    @DevilNDisguise I kept a sim around that had The hates children trait, but he ended up being a great father. I think they hate other people’s kids, or maybe it was just him, Idk But I love your rationale for changing traits. I’ve done this as well, but changing them in CAS doesn’t work for some of the worst ones, that’s a well documented bug

Same with my Sims and the Hates Children trait. I’ve ended up with some really great parents, while others didn’t have a relationship with them whatsoever. Very hit or miss for me.
    And I agree, that bug is a pain. I use the add/remove trait cheat to avoid it.
  • ArialisimsArialisims Posts: 120 Member
    @AlwaysAsking Its me pretending to be my sim...I think lol
    VbXPSzu.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    jealous, gloomy, Insider, Klepto, hot headed, Insane, Unflirty, Noncommittal, hates children, Evil - and Mean -

I avoid these Sims like a plague for my Sims. Not for dates, marriage or even friendships. If a sim has any of these traits they need to leave - forever more - well at least my Sims house.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Arialisims wrote: »
    @AlwaysAsking Its me pretending to be my sim...I think lol

Lmao! That's perfectly fine then! :smiley:
    SqxdF0m.png

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited March 2019
    The always usual trait dealbreaker that I would rarely ever accept on a prospective date sim will have to be Mean, because it almost always leads to some nasty exchange of words somewhere down the line. If I wanted to experience verbal abuse by a potential love interest of my sim, I can go find that in the real world.

Jealous would be a close second though, followed by Slob in 3rd.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    Same with my Sims and the Hates Children trait. I’ve ended up with some really great parents, while others didn’t have a relationship with them whatsoever. Very hit or miss for me.

Oh! Does that actually work? I've heard it said that using that, and the retraiting elixir haven't worked either!! Would you mind telling me the cheat? Or telling me where I can find it?
    & Thanks for mentioning it!!

SqxdF0m.png

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited March 2019

Oh! Does that actually work? I've heard it said that using that, and the retraiting elixir haven't worked either!! Would you mind telling me the cheat? Or telling me where I can find it?
    & Thanks for mentioning it!!

@AlwaysAsking

No problem! It’s quite handy.

I’ve found that it works perfectly. Since using the cheat, I haven’t had an issue with the moodlets reappearing for traits my Sims no longer have.
    To get rid of the moodlets your Sims still experience, though, you do have to give them that specific trait again (through CAS or through cheats; that part doesn’t matter) and then cheat it off of them. That will take care of the moodlets and should assure they will stay away. :)

These are the cheats:

To remove a trait: traits.remove_trait traitname

To add a trait: traits.equip_trait traitname

No spaces in between trait names, either.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    My Sims rarely date townies, but on the rare occasions that they have, I honestly can't even tell what traits they have most of the time.

I make a lot of Sims and households and I prefer for my own Sims to hook up with each other instead of townies. But anything goes. I actually like giving Sims negative traits, but Insider, Bro and that City Native one are a few that I use the least.

I'm still hoping we get a trait randomizer for CAS one day.
    #Team Occult
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited March 2019
    I tend to play legacies (though I admit I hardly get far in them) so if I’m playing just for fun, I always create the next generation’s spouse with traits that play off their aspiration and/or career choice. So if I’m creating a spouse for them that has one of the mischief aspirations then I’ll use those more negative traits like evil, hates children, etc. Hates Children is probably the one I’d say I use the least and that’s just because, as I said, I play legacies and I can’t bring myself to make a person that hates kids have kids and/or to have a kid whose parent hates them. But I will use it if it fits the sim.

If I’m playing a challenge that requires the spouse to have certain traits then I just find the first townie that I like the looks of that has that trait, I don’t pay too much mind to whatever other traits they have. If I am gonna have my sim marry a townie, as shallow as it sounds, their looks are more important than their traits just because sometimes sims genetics don’t turn out well at all, even if both parents are whatever I would define as “attractive”. I try to give my next generation the best shot that I can lol.

As for the spares/other kids that do not end up being the heir for the next generation, I leave that up to fate. I typically end up hooking them up with whoever their first friend is from school or the first one I see them hang out with multiple times. I don’t micromanage their traits or anything, the only thing I might adjust is their outfits but only if the game gives them something ridiculously random. Otherwise I leave them as they are. If they have the hates children trait, I just typically don’t have them have kids. Otherwise I might pop in and give them a kid or two before going back to my next generation, just to give some more life to the town/game.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

edited March 2019
    @AlwaysAsking

No problem! It’s quite handy.

I’ve found that it works perfectly. Since using the cheat, I haven’t had an issue with the moodlets reappearing for traits my Sims no longer have.
    To get rid of the moodlets your Sims still experience, though, you do have to give them that specific trait again (through CAS or through cheats; that part doesn’t matter) and then cheat it off of them. That will take care of the moodlets and should assure they will stay away. :)

These are the cheats:

To remove a trait: traits.remove_trait traitname

To add a trait: traits.equip_trait traitname

No spaces in between trait names, either.

@DevilNDisguise

Thank you Ever so much!! I have one particular couple that have that stupid non committal thing going, and it's just So inappropriate for the relationship they have! LOL, I'm so excited :smiley:

There are other sims that I want to change also, but this one couple in particular is driving me up the wall.

SqxdF0m.png

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    The most unattractive sims are the ones who ignore me for their phone or my own computer... Oh, wait...

I don't like playing romantically, so when I decide for whatever reason that my currently played sim needs a partner, I don't want it to take any more time than necessary. That's why I tend to avoid traits that make dating even more of a chore than it already is, such as Loner, Unflirty, Mean, Noncommittal, and Hot-Headed. I once tried to date a sim who would constantly reject friendly and romantic interactions and seem uncomfortable despite high relationship bars - turned out he was a loner, so I dumped him. Yeah, let's not do that again any time soon.

My own simself is a tough nut to crack, being both unflirty and a loner. If I ever feel like hooking myself up with someone, that's going to be a challenge, and the only time I'll ever be open to it.
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Unflirty, Noncommital, Mean, Evil & Hates Children are big no's for me (except if my Sim has those traits) and any traits that aren't a good fit for my Sims.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • nerdysagittariusnerdysagittarius Posts: 18 Member
    I usually try to match up my sim with someone they would like, so no traits are off-limits for me. Plus, I kinda like the challenge of dealing with sims with bad traits
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    It depends on what theme/story I'm running for the save, and hey, opposites attract, just like in real life.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Like most others have said it largely depends upon the sims I'm playing. I have changed traits in CAS before because sometimes my game generates really good looking townies and I refuse to give up those beautiful genetics because of one undesirable trait. However, I like the idea of sticking it out with some of these 'negative' traits (I don't really see them as negative) because it could make for some compelling stories. I like a challenge sometimes, and since I play on long life span if a relationship doesn't work out at first, doesn't mean it can't happen later.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • katastrxphexxkatastrxphexx Posts: 99 Member
    I avoid Slob, Evil, Gloomy, Mean, Hot-Headed, and Clumsy.
    Sometimes, when I'm doing a certain challenge, I avoid Unflirty, Hates Children, Jealous, and Noncommital.
    6f4f6cd2ab6a98484802c3e49c862f2c.gif
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm.... there are a few traits that I avoid if I can; materialistic, dance machine, jealous and ambitious. However, if my played sim has a great chemistry with a sim with one of these traits then I would make it work. Evil is the one l would never consider for romance. Partly because to me the evil-trait doesn’t do much, mean feels much more effective. Evil sims might cackle in the corner and be happy about a sad sim but then they continue to chat pleasantly at the park. Mean sims feels like they affect the sims around them a bit more.

Have had great sim-romances with hot-headed, non-committal and even a mean sim. I just want my sims to really like their partner.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    edited March 2019
    I’m so bad about making a soulmate for my sim or I’ll get them with a premade. But sometimes it’s fun to give them someone who has an off trait just for the drama. >:) But I will say Hates Children is always a deal breaker for me.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    I just use cas.fulleditmode but the trait equip might be better to not have legacy moodlets.

The only two traits that I find beyond irritating are squeamish and materialistic .
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Hates Children. Because I love kids, and I'd hope all of my sims have at least one. It puts a bad taste in my mouth to think of my sim with someone who dislikes their children.

That and Slob combined with Lazy. It's the only time I've divorced sims in my game.

Other bad traits are usually endearing to me.
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    I think pretty much all the negative traits are a deal breaker for me:
    Evil, Mean, Hates Children, Lazy, Glutton, Gloomy, Noncommittal, Slob, Unflirty, Hot Head, Klepto
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Mean, Noncomittal and Klepto, I like having a slob sim around.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    Klepto, dance machine and insider are a definite no-no, IF the chemistry is nothing less than great, I will work with goofball or erratic, otherwise it's a no go. As for hot headed, mean or evil Sims, they add needed drama to the game, which keeps the game from getting too boring. I once had this couple ... one was evil and the other was erratic ... it was a very volatile relationship, but they loved each other, so I guess that's what matters.