Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    thanks @SimTresa ... this will be the 2nd time I've had to step away from it ... I just can't figure out how to make it cave like

I went to actual inhabited (or rather, once-inhabited) caves for my inspiration. I even modeled Nean after reconstructions of Neanderthal faces, to the extent the feature editing tools would let me! There were obviously some things I had to fudge, partly because of Sims 4 item shapes (all of the rocks have flat bottoms, regardless how big they are, for example), and partly because Nean wanted a few things Stone Age people didn't have, such as a fridge and basic plumbing. From there, I went into builder mindset - he obviously wants something that's going to hold up, so it has to have genuine walls and ceiling in it, but I incorporated the appearance of natural stone and wood wherever possible. I avoided metal when possible, since it didn't start becoming common in dwellings until the Iron Age, so I tried to keep it just to the things he specifically asked for. I also did this when picking out his clothes; to the extent I could, I looked for styles/materials Stone Age people would have had access to. I arranged the fountain and fishing pond together to make it look like a natural spring, rather than a mechanical pond, and muddied the grass around them to make it look like splash-over from the water level naturally rising and falling with rain. (This turned out to be hilarious, because a mud puddle always forms in front of his favorite fishing spot when it DOES rain in the game, and he always ends up flat on his back when he goes down to fish in the rain. XD )

The other thing I took into consideration when I was building was the massive amount of $$$ I was spending on rocks. ^^; That was what ultimately steered my decision to use both the rocks and the terrain tools to create a weathered, partially-collapsed look on his cave exterior. It ended up working out great, because the different levels of terrain made it easier to place rocks in a seemingly-haphazard fashion, since the terrain steered the level they would start at when placing them.

I hope that gives you some ideas!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    chips46 wrote: »
    @Karababy52 before you build anything always save your empty lot to your library when ever you need to do a clean lot when you need to build anything and the build with stay in your name as original by you

Thanks for the tip! I'll remember to do that next time. I think I need to start a new save without using my custom template too and save copies of all the lots I put that 'Absolutely Empty Lot' download on. I tried just bulldozing the lots/terrain and renaming them because my Sims were getting invites to go out for lunch at 'Absolutely Empty Lot', one of the lots I replaced had a restaurant on it. The game doesn't recognize there isn't a restaurant there anymore. But it didn't work, unfortunately, now they just get invites for what I renamed them all, 'Residential.' *sigh*

Oh well, hopefully your idea works for this problem as well, thanks again! :)
  • jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »
    thanks @SimTresa ... this will be the 2nd time I've had to step away from it ... I just can't figure out how to make it cave like

Have you tried looking at other builders' work or searching for inspiration?
    Actually, I skipped this one becuase I had no real idea what to do with it, but I do admire the builds I've seen so far.

yeah but it's just not making sense to me
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Folks don’t forget about the free rock in debug. You may not want to use it for everything but if you mix in it may cut your costs a bit. Its the rock I used many of on my boat build Carpe Aestes.
    edited March 2019
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

I tried, and I think I did this right. If not, sorry. I'll do better next time.

CHALLENGE #115 - Man Cave
    FORUM ID: jeswainston65
    ORIGIN ID: jeswainston65
    LEVEL: Beginner
    LOT: Twin Oracle Point
    LOT COST: 8500
    LOT NAME: Cave of the Man
    GALLERY COST: 30,034
    TOTAL COST: 30,034
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: 47407417992_2c1388f107_z.jpg009 by Janet Swainston, on Flickr

ENTRY DETAILS:Nean Durtal is a cave man, I mean, he's a man who loves to live in a cave. He's a lone wolf who loves his privacy and here he is in his very own man cave, including primitive cave drawings. paintings are by @aljay2000

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: (Yes please)

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NOcc - artwork by @aljay2000

Gallery Link: Cave of the Man
    Post edited by jeswainston65 on

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    edited March 2019
    Thank you
    Post edited by Pinkusfamily on
  • Nicky2MNicky2M Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2019
    FORUM ID: Nicky2M
    ORIGIN ID: Nicky2M
    LEVEL: This is my first entry!
    LOT: Home Sweet Cave
    LOT COST: $2000
    LOT NAME: Hindquarter Hideaway
    GALLERY COST: $44,268
    TOTAL COST: $46,268
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Home Sweet Cave Photos
    ENTRY DETAILS: Mr. Nean Durtal's was looking to quit his job as a business man, get out of the hustle and bustle of the city, and get back to nature. His new home is nestled inside a cave that has been decorated with all the comforts of home while still maintaining the cave like charm.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NOcc
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    gC8MK5j.png
    I also created Mr. Nean Durtal, but I'm not sure how to post about him here. I used the hashtag when I uploaded to the gallery.
    Post edited by Nicky2M on
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Nicky2M wrote: »
    I also created Mr. Nean Durtal, but I'm not sure how to post about him here. I used the hashtag when I uploaded to the gallery.

Hi, and welcome :) You'll also need to share a link for your lot. It's required for our judges to be able to check the cost of the lot. Go HERE to access the online gallery. Make sure "Maxis Curated" is unchecked under the "Advanced" tab. Put your Origin ID in the search box, then select to search by EA ID. Once you locate your gallery upload, click on it and copy/paste the URL that comes up in the address box at the top of your browser. Let us know if you have any issues.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    FORUM ID: kittkat7147
    ORIGIN ID: kittkat7147
    LEVEL: Master
    LOT: Urban Cave Oasis
    LOT COST: 3,000
    LOT NAME: Brook Bungalow
    GALLERY COST: 76, 982
    TOTAL COST: 79, 982
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/L7SZkkm
    ENTRY DETAILS: My take on Nean's house is that of urban cave living. It's still a cave, but it blends in well in Willow Creek and gives Nean the best of both worlds. The interiors are carved stone walls with a natural dirt floor, of course. All the furnishings are as rustic as possible with a composting toilet in the bathroom and all-wood furniture. No new-fangled metals except in the some of the plumbing and appliances. Of course, Nean could bathe in the swimmable pond out back, catch fish in it, then roast them on the campfire if he really wants to go rustic.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: of course :)
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: @KittKat7147
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: Kitkat Sims
    TUMBLR LINK: kitkatssimporium.tumblr.com
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

507Tr8o.png

xvESVOd.png
  • Nicky2MNicky2M Posts: 28 Member
    Nicky2M wrote: »

Hi, and welcome :) You'll also need to share a link for your lot. It's required for our judges to be able to check the cost of the lot. Go HERE to access the online gallery. Make sure "Maxis Curated" is unchecked under the "Advanced" tab. Put your Origin ID in the search box, then select to search by EA ID. Once you locate your gallery upload, click on it and copy/paste the URL that comes up in the address box at the top of your browser. Let us know if you have any issues.

I think I did it!! Thanks for sharing the link!
    BW10795.png
    Attention ESTABLISHED Entrants for #BnS114 - The Tables Have Turned

Your feedback is now available here

3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
    bhaXpM1.png
    Attention EXPERT Entrants for #BnS114 - The Tables Have Turned

Your feedback is now available here

3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    FORUM ID: Allears
    ORIGIN ID: Sassilassi
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Desert Man Cave
    LOT COST: $2,000
    LOT NAME: Slipshod Mesquite in Oasis Springs
    GALLERY COST: $71,816
    TOTAL COST: $73,816
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/uV2WQtx
    ENTRY DETAILS: Nean Durtal had always known he wanted to live in a cave. But he was also practical - from the beginning he was willing to concede to basic plumbing and a refrigerator in his dream cave. As work progressed, however, he decided there were a few other things he better have. The fire pit he wanted in the cave, he decided to move outside for safety sake. A wood stove would be a good idea. And windows in the front, both to let some light in, and to let smoke out from the wood stove and all the candles. And to help even more, he wanted a vent hood over the stove. And finally, for safety sake, he ordered a smoke alarm and a fire extinguisher. Other than that, he would be roughing it!! And, to his great delight, the lot he chose had a pond that made a great fishing hole, as well as a swimming hole (play tested). And there was plenty of room for gardening.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None used
    PICTURES

GxKrIHN.png

qmCuFOz.png
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Allears
    ORIGIN ID: SassiLassi
    LEVEL: Established
    HOUSEHOLD: Nean Durtal
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/ItwTMVb
    ENTRY DETAILS: Meet Nean Durtal. His biggest dream in life is to live the life of a caveman - in a cave, of course! He's a loner, which will be nice when he's living in that cave. He loves nature - he's an angling ace and a collector. He loves the outdoors. And he's a bit erratic - loves talking to himself and can show unpredictable emotions.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None used

PICTURES:

oPgjsMm.jpg

Th52XOs.png
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    FORUM ID: gmcrozier
    ORIGIN ID: gmcrozier

LOT: Subterranean Domicile
    LOT COST: 2,000
    LOT NAME: Pier Palace, Windenburg
    GALLERY COST: 59,843
    TOTAL COST: 61,843
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Here

ENTRY DETAILS: Subterranean Domicile is created to blend in with it's surroundings. The indoor spaces are compact and serve multiple purposes to reduce the impact on the environment. The lot is designed and located to encourage outdoor living and being self sustaining. There are fishing spots close by and natural edible plants in the surrounding areas. There are also edibles mixed in with the landscaping and an area with vegetables.

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: https://www.facebook.com/glenn.crozier.7
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    zhAHwPH.png
    thvaC7P.png
  • 13Vader13Vader Posts: 178 Member
    edited March 2019
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #115 -Man Cave-
    FORUM ID:
    13Vader
    ORIGIN ID: 13Vader
    LOT: ♂Caveman♠Man-Cave♂
    LOT COST: § 1.500
    LOT NAME: Mid-Nowhere
    GALLERY COST: § 78.438
    TOTAL COST: § 79.938
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: BnS115 Caveman Man Cave
    ENTRY DETAILS: Mr Nean Dertal wanted a proper and literal man cave. A hole in the rock, he said, where he could be himself. So we created a secluded hole in a rock in a hole where he will be able to enjoy all the privacy he needs if he wants to enjoy his new home just in a loincloth or less. All is furnished with natural materials and ancient looking items.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
    TWITTER TAG: 13Vader_
    TUMBLR LINK: 13Vadersims
    AVIuJHX.pngN8X7Mld.png
    Post edited by 13Vader on
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #115 -Man Cave-
    FORUM ID:
    13Vader
    ORIGIN ID: 13Vader
    HOUSEHOLD: ♣Nean♂Dertal♣
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Bns 115: Cave Man "Nean Dertal"
    ENTRY DETAILS: Mr Dertal had time enough while we were building his cave to get rid of that clean-cut look and embrace hair freedom. Now he's ready to enjoy nature in his cave, his proper and ancient man cave. 
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
    TWITTER TAG: 13Vader_
    TUMBLR LINK: 13Vadersims
    hHHsQZt.png68GzWqW.jpg
    @13Vader ... omg...your entry made me laugh so hard...I love your Nean Durtal. Is he single? lol

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
    Thank you @jeswainston65 :) And yes, he's single at the moment ;)<3
    13Vader wrote: »
    Thank you @jeswainston65 :) And yes, he's single at the moment ;)<3

That's hysterical...I almost want to make him a girlfriend ... does he prefer blondes, brunettes, or redheads? lol

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
    Well, @jeswainston65. He's in full troglodyte mode, so I don't think he'll be too picky ;):D
    13Vader wrote: »
    Well, @jeswainston65. He's in full troglodyte mode, so I don't think he'll be too picky ;):D

Look her up...Cassi Opea ... lol under jeswainston65 she's adorable

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • DesignasimDesignasim Posts: 87 Member
    FORUM ID: Designasim
    ORIGIN ID: Designasim will show up as OOASID I changed my name but the old name always pops uo.
    LEVEL:
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/5902EEF0510B11E98FB8033D2F3B18E4?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=designasim&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 2,000
    LOT NAME: Civic Cliffs
    GALLERY COST: 48,269
    TOTAL COST: 50,269
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/D4wyVMO
    ENTRY DETAILS: I build an under ground cave with a partially walled bathroom for some privacy a fridge, sink and counter inside so if the weather outside is bad he can still eat. A reading and pond for activities. A garden, fruit trees so he can grow his own food. I tried to hide the entry BBQ/stove area and bathtub with trees for privacy. I hide the mailbox so Sims wouldn't suspect that someone lives there.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

67HLkmS.png

LVh69Tz.png

5nd1sli.png
    #BnS115 The Man Cave is closed!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    00yka0v.png

You sit staring out at the dark clouds beyond your office window, thinking this is the kind of evening those with something ot hide wait for, where they can move without anyone noticing. The fog is so dense you can’t wait for the work day to be over so you can hurry home and lock the door behind you.

But not just yet, you have one more meeting scheduled.

At that moment, Karl knocks on the door. “Ms. Ville is here to see you.”

“Yes, show her in, Karl.”

You can’t get a good look at her face under the strange hat she wears on her head. What even is that, a colander? Strange. You can’t help thinking she must be overheating under the bulky, concealing clothes she wears, but you're not one to judge. You put on your best professional smile and ask, “How can we help you?”

Xenia Ville looks around cautiously, eyes darting into every corner of the office. “Are we private here?”

“Of course, I’m very discreet and respect my clients’ privacy,” you reply reassuringly.

“No, I mean, are we being recorded? They can see us you know, the government, they’re always watching.” She shifts nervously.

“No, we’re not being recorded. I promise.” You’ve dealt with cautious clients before, but this one seems a bit over the top. You’re too professional to reveal your feelings, focusing on the job.

“Oh good.” But she doesn’t fully relax. “I think something’s going on in my town. I’d like a more secure place to live. Can you help me?”

“You mean like installing a security system? That’s not something we usually do.”

She shakes her head. “I mean, a small house. One that's built to blend into the surroundings. Lots of trees and bushes would help, but not up against the house, that’s how they get to you." She looks so sincere that you almost believe her. "I need a secure science lab too. In the basement if possible, so no one can find it..."

You listen closely, noting it all down. “I think we can handle that. Do you have any color preferences?”

“Nothing too flashy. I don’t want to draw attention, you understand?”

“I do," you assure her. "We’ll get right on it.”

The Brief
    • Budget: 45,000
    • One bedroom house
    • Must blend into its surroundings.
    • A science lab with a concealed entrance
    • Note: While this challenge is Strangerville related, you don't need to have the pack to enter.

Room challenge:
    Build Xenia’s secret science lab. The size and shape is up to you, and the budget is $15,000.

Sim Challenge:
    Create Xenia Ville and show her hiding out in her home. If you have Strangerville, one trait must be Paranoid. If not, use Erratic. The other traits are up to you. Be sure to share the other traits and Xenia's outfits in your media slideshow.

3gHHX7s.png

Please use the whole of hashtag #BnS116 when you upload your creations, any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be judged.
    The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday 10th April 2019 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top