Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    The news so far. I have managed to reinstall my store content that I need for the project. I am about half way through reinstalling the disks but I do have things to do in RL :/ I have reinstalled the CAW tool so the first job after the disks are reinstalled I will reload Fenbury. Then I must make EIG work. This may entail me clearing my download cache because EIG seems incredibly sensitive to the amount in there. Finally I will then be able to address the installation of the mod framework and the rabbit hole rugs. I am getting quite excited :D:D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    ahzhmJC.png

CAW is up and running again. EIG seems to be working and I should be back working on Fenbury. However I have a new world nagging away at me and have started to play around. I thought you might like to see.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    That looks mysterious! In a Celtic way?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Hmm, very mysterious. A burial ground?
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Hmm, very mysterious. A burial ground?

Partly. Think Wiltshire and stone age ;) Anyway I keep fiddling around with it when I should be back working on Fenbury. I haven't even drawn up a proper plan, just drawn out bits and pieces on scraps of paper as I get an idea in my head.

Sim enim est vita
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

I can fully understand the urge to start a new map in CAW even though you haven't quite completed Fenbury yet :)

I've got two different worlds on the go at the moment and keep going from one to the other ... if I'll ever finish at least one of them is doubtful as I probably get sidetracked with a 3rd ;)

It would be awesome if you are planning Salisbury, Stonehenge and Castle Combe or there abouts :D x
    Hidehi wrote: »

I can fully understand the urge to start a new map in CAW even though you haven't quite completed Fenbury yet :)

I've got two different worlds on the go at the moment and keep going from one to the other ... if I'll ever finish at least one of them is doubtful as I probably get sidetracked with a 3rd ;)

It would be awesome if you are planning Salisbury, Stonehenge and Castle Combe or there abouts :D x

Well that makes me feel slightly better knowing other people have more than one project on the go at one time. Right now I am worrying about two feral kittens we adopted who got out at lunchtime and haven't been seen since.

I had not seriously thought of Castle Combe or Salisbury. I was thinking more of Devizes and Avebury. I am in two minds about the Henge mainly because I have a couple of other features in mind. Providing, of course, I have the necessary skill to create them :D

Sim enim est vita

I'm sure whatever part of Wiltshire you are planning to adapt for CAW will be fabulous!!! :D

Keeping fingers crossed that the adventure seeking kittens will return safe and sound x
    Hidehi wrote: »

I'm sure whatever part of Wiltshire you are planning to adapt for CAW will be fabulous!!! :D

Keeping fingers crossed that the adventure seeking kittens will return safe and sound x

Thank you for your kind comments :) I will add I do know both Castle Combe and Biddestone very well. I was married in the church in the next village on from Combe. Perhaps if I ever get to making a third world I might have a go :)

The Destructive Brothers were eventually found shut in our large wardrobe ! Hubby thinks they must have crept in when he was putting away ironed shirts. Anyway they are none the worse for their adventure apart from being hungry and that was soon remedied. We, on the other hand, feel like we have been through the ringer :D

Anyway back to the thread topic. I have been busy with the rabbit hole rugs in Fenbury. Am currently debating whether or not to export and test the rugs are working correctly or to wait until I have finished this current round of building, signage, routing etc.

Sim enim est vita
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I amso glad to hear your CAW is back up and running and you will hopefully have some new pics of Fenbury to share with us :smiley:

The new world pic you showed us looks very interesting. I can hardly wait to see what you are up to next.
    tammyjo329 wrote: »
    I amso glad to hear your CAW is back up and running and you will hopefully have some new pics of Fenbury to share with us :smiley:

The new world pic you showed us looks very interesting. I can hardly wait to see what you are up to next.

It is confession time. I managed to set up a mods folder and downloaded what I thought were the right rabbit hole rugs for Fenbury. I had started to put the rugs into my community lots using EIG but I was advised that not only was I using the wrong rugs but I should not use the recommended rugs until I was ready to export to game. I was also advised not to put the world up on the Exchange with the rugs. All this has put me off undoing the rugs and getting on with getting Fenbury to the level where it can be tested properly. I confess I have been spending time on my new project, Throxton Deverill. I have even set up a thread for it.

zsKWQ8M.png

Sim enim est vita
    edited March 2019
    Now this looks interesting! It reminds me a little of The Hurlers on Bodmin Moor. *Darts over to new thread*
    Rabbithole Rugs: Which ones were you using? I've always used Jynx's Pets Compatible rugs along with Misty's University and Supernatural rugs. Are these the ones you're using?
    For sharing, I would have thought it's best to put them on the lots anyway because they won't share with the world as they're packages, right? Couldn't you just add a note there that the world uses rabbithole rugs? I'll be honest, I never share worlds so I wouldn't know whether that's right/wrong. Also, if you can't upload to the Exchange, could you just share on Mediafire/SimFileShare?
    @MissyHissy I am basing the standing stones on Avebury :) I have never visited The Hurlers but they look about the same age as the ones at Avebury.

I was advised to use Jynx's rabbithole rugs Pets fix. I had planned on using some for residential lots by Winterheart which I found on MTS. These are the ones I have to remove from my CAW files and then uninstall.

As for sharing I am still very much in two minds about it. This is my first serious attempt at creating a world and to be brutally honest it will not match up to the work other more talented creators, such as yourself, are producing. I am really hoping to do a bit better with Throxton :D

Sim enim est vita
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    I was observing this thread for a while, and despite I'm not fan of worlds with big lots and a lot of space, the passion you put in this project is truly inspiring. :smile: Also, gonna looking forward how you'll develop your new world. :wink:
    chojrak wrote: »
    I was observing this thread for a while, and despite I'm not fan of worlds with big lots and a lot of space, the passion you put in this project is truly inspiring. :smile: Also, gonna looking forward how you'll develop your new world. :wink:

What a very kind thing to say :) I just love seeing all the threads of people presenting their worlds. It shows what a huge pool of talent the sims 3 community has.

Sim enim est vita
    @Bettyboop55 - You should have seen my first CAW attempt. It was terrible! Practice always makes perfect! :)
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    @Bettyboop55 - You should have seen my first CAW attempt. It was terrible! Practice always makes perfect! :)

It's the uneven terrain which is driving me mad at the moment :D

Sim enim est vita
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member

It is confession time. I managed to set up a mods folder and downloaded what I thought were the right rabbit hole rugs for Fenbury. I had started to put the rugs into my community lots using EIG but I was advised that not only was I using the wrong rugs but I should not use the recommended rugs until I was ready to export to game. I was also advised not to put the world up on the Exchange with the rugs. All this has put me off undoing the rugs and getting on with getting Fenbury to the level where it can be tested properly. I confess I have been spending time on my new project, Throxton Deverill. I have even set up a thread for it.

zsKWQ8M.png

Hi Betty, I think the pictures you have shared with us so far of Fenbury look beautiful.

As far as rabbit hole rugs, if you use them and upload be sure to add it in the world description. I do not personally use the rugs or 3rd party custom content. Instead I tend to bury the rabitholes in basements if I want to keep a certain look to the lot. Then those who prefer the rugs can simply replace the rabithole buildings with the rugs if they want, and the world is still cc free upon upload.

zsKWQ8M.png

Hi Betty, I think the pictures you have shared with us so far of Fenbury look beautiful.

As far as rabbit hole rugs, if you use them and upload be sure to add it in the world description. I do not personally use the rugs or 3rd party custom content. Instead I tend to bury the rabitholes in basements if I want to keep a certain look to the lot. Then those who prefer the rugs can simply replace the rabithole buildings with the rugs if they want, and the world is still cc free upon upload.

Thank you for the thought :D I have always played vanilla so the first thing I tried was burying buildings to get community lots to work properly. You can imagine the mess I made of it :D For now though I am concentrating on the other things on my list of things to do so that I can test Fenbury properly.

Sim enim est vita
    This morning finds a very grumpy Betty. It would appear at first glance that the recent reinstallation did nothing much to my saved copy of Fenbury, however I was wrong. Closer inspection shows a large number of things missing or changed. To wit

e6n7l5m.png

This will not be the first time I had to restore the ivy on the Bridge Inn.

STMzW3z.png

I have so many instances of doors being swapped out that I have christened it the red door syndrome.

eGmm5I4.png

In some instances there is no door at all.

Bw0ylA6.png

This one really got me. I spent ages putting curtains into my builds to make them look inhabited.

BYNEoFz.png

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I found this. Spot the missing object. Probably the most critical object in the build and the most difficult to place because of the size of the build. Grinds teeth.

I am going to grab another coffee and think things over. The little time I have spent on Fenbury in the last week has been levelling the terrain by Betty's coffee shop and the Hotel Splendide. I am loath to lose this work but I fear I shall have to go back and get another copy of Fenbury from my EHD. I think I must have opened my reinstalled version before I had reinstalled all my store content. This must be one of dumbest things I have done to date. Thank heavens for backups.

Sim enim est vita
    It goes from bad to worse. I loaded an earlier version from the EHD and discovered store content either swapped out or missing. So I saved Throxton to the EHD, uninstalled and reinstalled the CAW tool. The Throxton file is fine. However the Fenbury file is about the same so my beautiful castle ruins of which I was so proud now look like this.

oULPenN.png

I could weep. However I haven't worked on this for nearly two years to be put off now. So I will establish exactly how much reworking I have to do and then get on with it. Many of my lots were built in situ so I do not have copies saved elsewhere, rather a pity. First however I need to calm down, remember my heart and stop grinding my teeth :/ Weeps into hankie.

Sim enim est vita
    edited April 2019
    It's amazing what strong coffee and a hug from the other half can do to improve your grump.

ce055yh.png

It looks somewhat better than it did but it will never be the same as the original. I should be grateful that I can still make it halfway decent. The list of repairs is a long one as I had already started to decorate some of the lots. However it will keep me out of mischief :)

Sim enim est vita
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    Sorry to hear that. :confused: That's why I don't use store content in my worlds. It's very capricious and there is too much work with installing everything to show up in world.

Did you make only world back up? Cause beside back up of worlds, I always export every lot to simspack when it's done, and make back up of every lot. Did you consider that? If you didn't delete content from DCBackup and DCCache folders, lots should export properly to simspack and after install it should show actual store content, no replacements.
    chojrak wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. :confused: That's why I don't use store content in my worlds. It's very capricious and there is too much work with installing everything to show up in world.

Did you make only world back up? Cause beside back up of worlds, I always export every lot to simspack when it's done, and make back up of every lot. Did you consider that? If you didn't delete content from DCBackup and DCCache folders, lots should export properly to simspack and after install it should show actual store content, no replacements.

I didn't know you could export to simpack! And you are so right about store content. After today there will be no store content in Project Throxton. I have the whole Electronic Arts folder saved to EHD which I did before the uninstall so if I can learn how to simpack would be wonderful.

Sim enim est vita

So sorry to read about all your trouble with your store stuff not showing up @Bettyboop55 :'(

I am not that great with computers myself but I'm just wondering if you have tried to swap out the recent DCCache in your EA folder you have on your computer now with the one you have in your copy of your EA folder you have saved on your EHD just before the reinstall?

I always work with 2 DCCache folders ... one for CAW and one for my normal builds and play ... I have reduced store content for the use with CAW because of EIG crashing if I have to many store items ... it's definitely no problem swapping them around.

It could be that the DCCache of the saved version has still all the store content in it that you've used for creating Fenbury and then everything will show up again when you use CAW .... you would also need to use the Fenbury world files saved on your EHD before the new install.

But I can imagine you've already tried everything ... sometimes this game is just extremely infuriating and frustrating :s