Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Showtime items duplicating *Fixed*

Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
edited March 2019 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
I'm trying to keep my inventory from getting out of control but it would seem that every time I perform a show the box of mystery and the box of danger from the magician profession duplicate. I'm unable to sell them, I can only move them out of my inventory and delete them in buy mode. But if I delete the wrong duplicates I get an error message saying some of my items have gone missing when I set up the stage and I have to set it up all over again. Does anyone know how to prevent this issue?

Edit: I described the problem incorrectly. After further research I found a thread that said it was a problem with travel. I do travel a lot (WA) in between shows, so I tested it and that is what is causing the duplicates.

Edit2: Okay, it's also happening every time I load the game. Geez, that same thread also suggested quitting the job then using MC to restore to my former level when I get my job back. Hope it works.
Post edited by Satanu_Reeves on

Comments

• Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    edited March 2019
    Edit: Nvm. I got this.
    edited March 2019
    From a MTS thread:

NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Quit
    NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career >Choose Job to get the job back
    NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career >Level>Active Sim to assign Sim a job level
    NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career >Job Performance>Active Sim to reestablish job performance
    NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career >Bonus>Active Sim Add the simoleon amount to increase his salary to what it was (or more!!)

Last step is not needed for showtime careers.
    This breaks again after I travel. I love WA. Can’t not travel. :(
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Hello! I guess this is the thread:

http://modthesims.info/t/564078

The tip to leave the props at home when travelling was, elsewhere, reported to work: post #9, #11.

I tried the career, in Sunset Valley with Agnes Crumplebuttom, and the stage and Proprietor in one of the parks there; Performance Park. I could not reproduce the 'doubling' of the 'mystery box'; I tried all the three alternatives for 'setting up' the stage for a performance.

I do not know what you did exactly before it did that in your game, but guessing that several things can influence: like the world, the type of lot, if it is a custom stage, if the box was actively 'placed' from inventory before the actual performance etc. But it seems you got that fixed anyway.

When travelling with the box to a WA-world, it did double; but when travelling without it, just placing it on the lot before, there were no extra mystery added.
    edited March 2019
    Leaving them at home did not work for me but now that I think about it, that was after the duplicate bug started. So I traveled with them in my inventory and they duplicated, I deleted the duplicates, left them the other ones out of my inventory and traveled again just to see duplicates on return. Yes it is WA worlds that I’m having the issue with. I may need to quit and rejoin my job again and then use this tip. I’ll try after I get off work.
    I got that same result:
    After clearing cashes and in the save where the box was in the inventory when travelling, got duplicated, the copy deleted once back home, the original placed on home lot: Agnes travelled again with the original box still on home lot, and got an extra box to bring home. What a magic trick.

Also tried the save where the box was placed on home lot before any travelling at all was done; and no extra box appeared (again, same result twice).

Tried to 'place box' outside inventory on the same lot Agnes was on and before the scheduled performance there was to begin, but it just automagically appeared on the stage and when the performance was over, back into the inventory, with no duplicate.
    Tested a little:

In save where one trip to China with a box in inventory had been made; then deleting the extra box, placing the original on home lot, going back to China, then home and getting an extra box for it; placing that on home lot so there were no boxes in inventory; exiting game, clearing cashes, and when back in game Agnes had yet another box in inventory.

If exiting but not clearing cashes there were no extra box in the empty inventory.

In that same save, I sent Agnes to France without any box in inventory, once back home there were no extra boxes for her troubles.

I am guessing that if the .nhd file
    and perhaps ExportDB.package for China were deleted, the memory of Agnes being there with a mystery box would go away with it, and she would not get any extra boxes, and there would be no need to revert to an older/other save. Of course everything else in that particular instance of 'China' would be erased with it.

I think I need confirmation on this though, before I do anything, @puzzlezaddict maybe knows if these files do what I think they do and are safe to delete?
    edited March 2019
    I thought for sure I had removed the boxes before I went on my last trip but I seemed to have forgot. The last time I went on a trip and removed them before hand, when I got back there was no duplicates. So if you always remove them it doesn’t seem to happen even in a game where it happened before but has since been fixed with MC. If it’s intermittent I’ll know soon because I travel a lot. Thank you for testing @Auroraskies you’ve been very helpful.

Edit: So I had a save which got this item duplication bug after I returned from a WA vacation. It would duplicate each time I traveled or each time I reloaded the game. I fixed it with the above steps in MC. I then went vacation again thinking I had removed the boxes but didn't, so it broke again. I loaded the previous save that had been fixed with MC that was prior to my most recent vacation, removed the boxes and went on vacation and came home...no dup bug. I then loaded the later save that I accidentally broke by forgetting to remove the boxes. I 'fixed' it again but...I can't fix it this time around. It will still load the duplicates. So I can try to go back to the previous save before I accidentally rebroke risking that it might just randomly come back. But this recent ineffective fix, the second brakening, seems to be permanent. So unless anyone has any other solutions, the best solution is to never allow it to happen in the first place by never traveling with the boxes. If you have a save where you got the dup bug..maybe you can fix it with MC...maybe not.

Edit 2: I have a save that’s working just fine so problem solved. 😁
    Post edited by Satanu_Reeves on
    @Auroraskies I wish I could give you more than one awesome point. 😁
    That was very nice, thank you! :smiley: I am glad you solved it. And you are welcome, I am having fun.

Just to update because I tried some more things:

In the same save where Agnes went to France and did not get an extra box, she already had two boxes on the home lot: the original and an extra one from travelling to China with the box being duplicated.
    I deleted the extra one and in that save went back to France; and once back home she had another one in her inventory.

I did the same for China in that same save: when there were two boxes on the home lot she did not get an extra one from travelling. But when deleting one of them; she did. (In the save where she first had travelled with one).

I took out the .nhd files, ExportDB.package and TravelDB.package (to another drive), and tried again. No difference.

I do not know how to explain this. But yes, do not let it happen in the first place; and if it does, appearantly having two boxes already at home somehow prevents more to appear. It would be great if any magician could explain this trick!