Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    chluke75 wrote: »
    By the way @katrinasforest "None of your waxed bees" is still my favorite line in anything, ever!

Aww! A much-belated but very sincere thank you! ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • LonnykinsLonnykins Posts: 508 Member
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"😉 This may be just the thing to get me sim storytelling again.😁
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited March 2019
    Lonnykins wrote: »
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"😉 This may be just the thing to get me sim storytelling again.😁

OH MY GOSH!! I cannot wait to see what you would have up your sleeve!! wooooo!

I honestly think that CAS creators would be naturals at the short story .. BECAUSE you have to "sell" the sim in that TEENY TINY space (leaving room for hashtags and such too)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    Shadami wrote: »
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    So far this has been getting an amazing response (I am officially scared out of my wits lol). Even some interest from the international community!

I know some of you newer writers (and some "older") have told me that you are feeling trepidatious. I will just give you a small insight ... this comes with the territory. No matter how many you publish you will always feel the same. For me, it feels like I am peeling back a part of myself and risking it to all of you!

Risky and vulnerable for sure .. but a chance to grow @Munterbacon said it best up a few posts ago ... we can grow and stretch as we get outside of our norm <3

If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Someone in my FB group shared this and it made me laugh but it is so #truth

amJVBqW.jpg

#whytherumisalwaysgone
    My rum is hidden in a closet on a high shelf I need a stool for so that I don't drink it for another 9 months or so . xD (gotta get through breastfeeding too.)

OHH MY congrats! YES hide the rum! BTW I saw on your siggy that you are doing or have done the Alien Adoption Challenge .. I have sort of started it and it looks like so much fun!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    I am going to let each author make the call .. I think most will have a good understanding of where they fit .. it will be the honor system <3

So that means I can be a beginner? Right?

tenor.gif

OH yeah .. I will buy that ... NOPE!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    So far this has been getting an amazing response (I am officially scared out of my wits lol). Even some interest from the international community!

I know some of you newer writers (and some "older") have told me that you are feeling trepidatious. I will just give you a small insight ... this comes with the territory. No matter how many you publish you will always feel the same. For me, it feels like I am peeling back a part of myself and risking it to all of you!

Risky and vulnerable for sure .. but a chance to grow @Munterbacon said it best up a few posts ago ... we can grow and stretch as we get outside of our norm <3

If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Someone in my FB group shared this and it made me laugh but it is so #truth

amJVBqW.jpg

#whytherumisalwaysgone
    My rum is hidden in a closet on a high shelf I need a stool for so that I don't drink it for another 9 months or so . xD (gotta get through breastfeeding too.)

OHH MY congrats! YES hide the rum! BTW I saw on your siggy that you are doing or have done the Alien Adoption Challenge .. I have sort of started it and it looks like so much fun!

It is a lot of fun. I've been neglecting it a little bit lately because I've been a tad overwhelmed with life and haven't been writing as much as I used to. So that is one that got put on the side because I want to do the story justice. I haven't really done much collaboration in it, but I reference the other Gatos. ^^ are you in the collab thread? I've been trying to read through all of them posted, I know that some of them haven't been posted yet.

And thank you. I'm in the second trimester and sleeping alot. I'm going to force myself to go for daily walks as soon as it's warm out though and the ground isn't covered in ice. I'm not risking falling on ice like this xS third kiddo. The other two are excited.
  • WollybuttWollybutt Posts: 13 New Member
    I am very excited for this. Writing and Sims are my two favourite things.
    edited March 2019
    me too @Wollybutt I cannot wait .. I have to keep myself from jumping the gun LOL
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • bunnybirdbunnybird Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi! I want to play, too. Lisabee twisted my arm, which is to say, she asked nicely. :smiley:
    <3 LOL @bunnybird soo glad .. Only 10 days to kick off .. I am so ready
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    For any of you who are coming in new to the forum here is a wonderful link ... https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/879663/helpful-guides-to-the-forums-and-to-wordpress#latest
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    So happy to see someone has taken over this challenge! Thank you! I loved reading and voting on entries when the other Simmers were running it. I wrote a couple stories that never were submitted and one that I did enter which became the prologue to my one and only chapter of a story I started on WordPress. I couldn't get into it after that though and never wrote anymore.

I'd like to try again though, but I'm not sure how you would classify me as a writer. I've had the blog for well over a year, but I haven't been actually blogging all that time. So probably a beginner? o.O Anyway, I won't worry about it too much until I see what theme you'll post for the first month's challenge.

Good luck with this, I hope it thrives and whether I ever enter or not, I will be reading and voting! Happy Simming! <3 #bookmarked
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    So happy to see someone has taken over this challenge! Thank you! I loved reading and voting on entries when the other Simmers were running it. I wrote a couple stories that never were submitted and one that I did enter which became the prologue to my one and only chapter of a story I started on WordPress. I couldn't get into it after that though and never wrote anymore.

I'd like to try again though, but I'm not sure how you would classify me as a writer. I've had the blog for well over a year, but I haven't been actually blogging all that time. So probably a beginner? o.O Anyway, I won't worry about it too much until I see what theme you'll post for the first month's challenge.

Good luck with this, I hope it thrives and whether I ever enter or not, I will be reading and voting! Happy Simming! <3 #bookmarked

I am going to run that part on the honor system .. it sounds like even tho you have had a blog for a while you still qualify as a beginner :) I hope you give it a try .. I promise to make it easy on both the writer and the readers <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    5 days to kick off .. be watching on the 31st for the monthly theme and story specifications (word count and # of screenshots)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Maybe this will help me write some more to. Been feeling a bit off my game lately. :/
  • WollybuttWollybutt Posts: 13 New Member
    I can't wait!!
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Patiently waiting to see what the prompt will be. :blush:
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »

@ra3rei So we can accidentally have similar stories again? :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Question: I never did this challenge before, so I'm curious. Does our entry each month need to be its own standalone story? Or can the prompt be incorporated into an ongoing story?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »

@ra3rei So we can accidentally have similar stories again? :D

Of course! Great minds! <3
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Question: I never did this challenge before, so I'm curious. Does our entry each month need to be its own standalone story? Or can the prompt be incorporated into an ongoing story?

I'm curious about this, too. Also, are CC/mods a requirement? By mods, I mean poses, not MCCC. I can never get the Poser Player to work correctly, so I never use it.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    Oh, I am very excited about this. Will be looking forward to seeing the first "theme" Yippee!
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    edited March 2019
    NyteRose wrote: »

I'm curious about this, too. Also, are CC/mods a requirement? By mods, I mean poses, not MCCC. I can never get the Poser Player to work correctly, so I never use it.

@NyteRose I can answer your question.

CC/Mods are not a requirement, you can most definitely play and screenshot a vanilla game from any of the versions Lisabee mentioned, and it would be a 100% viable entry.

This next part is just my personal opinion:
    (Incoming cooking show metaphor)
    The story/writing is the champion here, where the screenshots are just the sides and sauce that really makes the champion pop! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Thanks for organizing this; it sounds like a blast!

Quick question about forum rules: I understand profanity isn't allowed in the forums, but are we also not allowed to post links to story blogs if they have strong language and adult themes? (This question seems like it should have already been answered, but I've spent the better part of an hour digging and can't find it.)
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead

Of course, you can use your characters and yes it can fit into your ongoing story but it should be able to be read by brand new readers who will not know the complete back story. Ensuring that within each story your character is developed, your setting is established and your plot initiated developed and resolved within the set # of words without having to rely upon your ongoing story with its back story can be tricky but can be done :) Coming out of your comfortable box will be the challenge for you seasoned writers. I look forward to your work.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger