Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should the next Sims game go above the T rating?

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2019
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    The sims doesn't need to go above T.

What they need to do, is to not go bellow C, as in childish, which is what TS4 is in many ways (angry poop).

The original Sims and to a lesson extent The Sims 2, was full of childish humour.

The Sims 3 almost lacked humour altogether.

A lot of the stuff in TS1 was done for humourous effect, and I’m glad 4’s returned to that.

I definitely don’t want 5 to be flat and lifeless again, there’s just no lasting impact to me. Some of my favourite memories of 1 & 2 are the childish humour parts.

My make Sim being “probed” by Aliens and giving birth, with the most rediculous cutscenes is childish and stupid, but it’s memorable and fun.

Angry Poops or the like, yes it’s stupid and dumb, but it’s memorable and the “dumb” and “stupid” stuff is what makes the Sims interesting. It’s an alternate universe to ours where basic logic is lost.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    The sims doesn't need to go above T.

What they need to do, is to not go bellow C, as in childish, which is what TS4 is in many ways (angry poop).

The original Sims and to a lesson extent The Sims 2, was full of childish humour.

The Sims 3 almost lacked humour altogether.

A lot of the stuff in TS1 was done for humourous effect, and I’m glad 4’s returned to that.

I definitely don’t want 5 to be flat and lifeless again, there’s just no lasting impact to me. Some of my favourite memories of 1 & 2 are the childish humour parts.

My make Sim being “probed” by Aliens and giving birth, with the most rediculous cutscenes is childish and stupid, but it’s memorable and fun.

Angry Poops or the like, yes it’s stupid and dumb, but it’s memorable and the “dumb” and “stupid” stuff is what makes the Sims interesting. It’s an alternate universe to ours where basic logic is lost.

Sims 4 has toilet humor that frankly is juvenile. I never got the impression from Sims 1-3 that the humor was geared towards children, but with Sims 4 it’s the only impression I get. Angry poops? Let me turn on the Disney Channel where I’m sure I can find similarly childish things being said.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    No it shouldn't. I think it's rating is fine for the type of game it is.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The game already says T but it's a soft T. It doesn't need to be an M to be more mature. I'm not asking for 🐸🐸🐸🐸 but when Sims fight and love, the game certainly has leeway to censor less. On the other hand EA has an international player base to think about
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    T is more than sufficient. As others have said, there's plenty more they could add and still fall under the terms for T. Anyone wanting something more risque has the option to download mods. In this instance, I think it's fine to keep it to mods.

Equally, as an adult whose children are also adults, I don't see the need to make it pre-school or early years appropriate. Teens and adults should have no compulsion to have their entertainment options curtailed simply to fit with very young children. Indeed, I think there should be more done to make clear the separations between age groups from a safeguarding perspective.
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'd prefer The Sims to imitate life closely and that means going above Teen because real life isn't all unicorns and rainbows.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I prefer the rating as it is. I don't see how this game would benefit from an adult rating, I don't need more violence or sexual content in my sims game, what I need is less childish content/interactions. For example, I would like to have more romantic and sexy interactions and I would love if they get rid of the childish high five couples do before woohoo.
    The limits of a T rated can be pushed a lot more than they are being pushed at the moment. Everything is too happy and vanilla but they managed to bring to this iteration the best and darkest vampires we have ever gotten. So it can be done, it's just a matter of choices.
    I like how TS2 specially dealt with this, it was a lot raunchier and "adult" in many ways than TS4 but still T rated. It had a great balance between goofiness and seriousness. It felt real but also light. The drama that you could create was a lot more adult and yet it was super fun and silly at the same time.
    TS4 feels very childish in comparisson but I don't think is a matter of rating but of choices that were/are made when designing the game.

And for whoever wants violence or whatever, that's what mods are for.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I don't mind it going to a higher rating, I'd like to see more reality in my Sims game, more genuine reactions to certain situations.
    I think Sims 4 is a bit too 'goody goody' right now for me.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I could not say yes enough. It doesnt mean the whole thing has to be, they could easily contain it to a game or expansion pack that has a higher rating than the base game. One thing id like to see is a slower but more detailed progression of relationships with some later interactions being more scandalous. Right now, a sim can fill any relationship bar, romance, friendship, or enemy, in just a day or two of gameplay and after that its so easy to keep them up. Would like to see adults whos children have moved out have an interation to spice up their woohoo life. Or enemies of someone throwing a party trashing the lot to ruin the event. Theyd could have a chance of being notified of the enemies party weather they were invited or not. More negative interaction with more dire consequences would be appreciated as well, a sim shouldnt have to have high level whatever skill to do criminal things. Criminals are dumb a lot of the time and most of them also get caught. Id love to see realistic criminals who can rob (being a klepto isnt the same), mug, beat up, or kill people, maybe if youre evil, there could be a slim chance that the fight interaction kills the other sim. And if that sims good or athletic maybe the chance could be turned on the criminal. Sims should also be able to get injured on rare occasions with a stay in the hospital. In sims 4, I've only seen the hospital used to have babies. Maybe they could make a vacation type world with a hospital, boarding school, hotel or inn for business trips, a rehab for juice enthusiasts etc. just anything a person would need to go away for that isn't vacation.

Yes good suggestions. It is always good humour that a Sim could meet someone in the morning and buy the evening they are married and expecting a baby! :D

Some TS3 traits play an interesting part in relationship development. Sims can get creeped out from some interactions but I would like to see that expanded on. Would anyone really start a relationship with someone that they had only just met?

Happened in Frozen:
    https://youtu.be/TtCXUFImZYE

Sims' lives are short enough there's not much time for extended romances.

I think some things could be added to make it a bit more adult without having to change the rating. Maybe more consequences for events like cheating, or demotions/job loss if you don't fulfill job requirements in a certain period of time (with plenty of warning before the actual event). I have no issue with negative events happening to Sims if there is a way to prevent them through gameplay -- if your Sim is cheating expect an angry spouse so you can prevent that by not cheating, if a meteor is heading your way like in the Sims 3, get under cover.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sims doesn’t need to move above a T rating. To be entirely honest, they can do A LOT more risqué things without jeopardizing the T rating they have now. The super kid-friendly direction they’ve went with Sims 4 isn’t due to the ESRB, as much as they would like to attribute them for it.

The solution is as simple as eliminating the targeting of kids for their marketing. The game is rated T for teen, no reason that children should factor into what shapes the game. Children potentially seeing a PG13 movie doesn’t stop the creators from including what gave it that rating in the first place. Video games shouldn’t be held back by such nonsense either.

I tried to like this but it didn't work so I will say I agree. I can't understand if they can have muggings in TSM in 2011 why Sims can't get mugged in the pc series and look like they were hurt with wrapped arm or holding their side and need salve for a black eye or a visit to the doctor. That would be considered M by players of TS4, in my opinion. But it's actually T rated. Not getting fired is another pet peeve, people get fired, so I don't understand why Sims in TS4 don't get fired and should be as unhappy and miserable as they were in TS1 and TS2. They wouldn't even look for another job until they felt better.

There's a pick pocket character even in Sims 2 - Unsavory Charlatan - so they can have robbery in the Sims without upping the rating. But they will need police that can go after the thief.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sims doesn’t need to move above a T rating. To be entirely honest, they can do A LOT more risqué things without jeopardizing the T rating they have now. The super kid-friendly direction they’ve went with Sims 4 isn’t due to the ESRB, as much as they would like to attribute them for it.

The solution is as simple as eliminating the targeting of kids for their marketing. The game is rated T for teen, no reason that children should factor into what shapes the game. Children potentially seeing a PG13 movie doesn’t stop the creators from including what gave it that rating in the first place. Video games shouldn’t be held back by such nonsense either.

I tried to like this but it didn't work so I will say I agree. I can't understand if they can have muggings in TSM in 2011 why Sims can't get mugged in the pc series and look like they were hurt with wrapped arm or holding their side and need salve for a black eye or a visit to the doctor. That would be considered M by players of TS4, in my opinion. But it's actually T rated. Not getting fired is another pet peeve, people get fired, so I don't understand why Sims in TS4 don't get fired and should be as unhappy and miserable as they were in TS1 and TS2. They wouldn't even look for another job until they felt better.

There's a pick pocket character even in Sims 2 - Unsavory Charlatan - so they can have robbery in the Sims without upping the rating. But they will need police that can go after the thief.

Yes, and then look at TS4. And compare it to even The Sims Medieval from 2011 they had ale and wine, and got hang overs, had to buy elixirs from a wizard to drink beforehand or another one to fix afterward. The Sims 3 has drinking and when they dance on tables at the bar it's because they had too much or something happens but I'm not sure what it was. TS2 Sims eyes turn into cat eye pupils when they have a lot of 'juice' implying they have had too much from the bar. Then look at TS4, no robbery, no drinking, no consequences for cheating (like demand divorce or slap unless the player really pushes the other Sim into staying mad for as long as possible to argue all the time). They don't give a hoot if mom or dad dies, or deleted, it's so very shallow and Stepford wifey like with frozen smiles. I can understand how some of us would like to see more consequences of the good, bad and ugly.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    What we need is more choices in the game. Just because there is an option in the game to do more violent stories doesn't mean you would have to use it, don't like it, don't use it. How hard is that? Yet no one want those who do to have an option. I play a mob family. It's no worse than what you can see on tv. The worst thing criminals can do is yell at someone. That mod from Sacrifrical doesn't work in my game anymore, even with everything taken out, for some reason.
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I'm an adult, I personally like the rating the way it is and I think it's great that if you want something more extreme in your game, there's plenty of mods about---that's the beauty of The Sims. That being said, 4 is far too toned down compared to previous instalments for my liking. Maybe I'm warped because I grew up with the older games, but I miss things like the ominous prank calls in 1, the stripper cake, the gruesome death by flies in 2, whatever the hell was up with the Tricou family... man, I even miss the danger stings from 1! I would really like some of that darker humour back rather than what we have in 4, when it's nigh impossible to kill sims and the element of surprise is gone. I miss the unpredictable nature of past games and the quirkiness.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2019
    If the game suddenly got more adult, then I would lose the option to share it with my kids. Teens would lose the option to buy the game from a store without having an adult present and approving the transaction.

"Just switch it off" is a lot harder than it sounds, but it's an option I see offered up a lot when some players want a certain feature and others don't. At the end of the day, you can't add everything. It's just not practical to write hundreds of different scenarios for "if X is on, this happens" and "if X is off, this happens."

At some point, the creators have to decide what they want to be part of the game and what they don't. They decided on the teen rating for this right from the beginning. They stand to alienate a much larger chunk of their audience if they change the rating than if they don't.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    agreed the sims 4 is immature and childish at times during the game play.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I like its current level.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    All I’m saying is that, when I kick sims out of my house. I’d like if the reaction fit the scenario, not the sim always acting like it was their idea. I want them to get upset or maybe even angry. But no...thanks for hanging out I guess I’ll be going now! Wait what? 😖
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'd prefer The Sims to imitate life closely and that means going above Teen because real life isn't all unicorns and rainbows.
    Hopefully you don't actually believe The Sims 4 represents the top end of the T rating. You should probably read the other comments before making such a bold statement.
    If the game suddenly got more adult, then I would lose the option to share it with my kids. Teens would lose the option to buy the game from a store without having an adult present and approving the transaction.

"Just switch it off" is a lot harder than it sounds, but it's an option I see offered up a lot when some players want a certain feature and others don't. At the end of the day, you can't add everything. It's just not practical to write hundreds of different scenarios for "if X is on, this happens" and "if X is off, this happens."

At some point, the creators have to decide what they want to be part of the game and what they don't. They decided on the teen rating for this right from the beginning. They stand to alienate a much larger chunk of their audience if they change the rating than if they don't.

I don't know, I think there are more adults who can purchase a M rated game of a life simulator than we know. Not saying The Sims should be changed to M rating in the next iteration, however, compared to the older games TS4 is very child friendly, to the point some don't even like it because it's rather boring as a dress up game. I think if another company would build a M rated Simulator it would make millions on day one.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    no i fully dissagre it should stay in the t rating or be rated e for everyone the teen rating for the sims game is perfectly fine
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I don’t think there is necassairly a need for any extreme violence, however, there are plenty of darker themes and elements that could be added in a sims 4/ child friendly way.

I would love to be able to murder someone, like not just willy nilly, there would have to be a mechanic to it. What about cluedo style murders? Or even like the interaction of intentionally feeding poison pufferfish, or laying a banana peel at the top of some stairs, if your sim is evil they could get a moodlet or something? You could accidentally kill the wrong sim. I mean death is no stranger to the series, with all sorts of new deaths added frequently. In fact how many people play because they live torturing and killing their sims? And you can drown kids in game, as long as you don’t top that why not add more macabre elements?
    ddd994 wrote: »
    I don’t think there is necassairly a need for any extreme violence, however, there are plenty of darker themes and elements that could be added in a sims 4/ child friendly way.

I would love to be able to murder someone, like not just willy nilly, there would have to be a mechanic to it. What about cluedo style murders? Or even like the interaction of intentionally feeding poison pufferfish, or laying a banana peel at the top of some stairs, if your sim is evil they could get a moodlet or something? You could accidentally kill the wrong sim. I mean death is no stranger to the series, with all sorts of new deaths added frequently. In fact how many people play because they live torturing and killing their sims? And you can drown kids in game, as long as you don’t top that why not add more macabre elements?

Things went south in TS3 when many complained that University bed was killing their Sims, I was over in the corner saying wait, wait, none of my Sims have been killed by the Murphy bed, yet, let me see it first! lol, but they patched it out and I never did see it. And the vending machine, I read threads where many were complaining again, no death by vending machines! And I was over in the corner begging to let me see it first. But alas none of my Sim ever died from vending machine. :/ This rainbow/happyville direction has been going on for several years.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited April 2019
    I would love a more mature version of sims that still holds some of its quirks. When sims fight, I want it to be less of kids taunting each other action but more adult like. I don't want to see them smiling at each other afterwards. I feel like sims stop being a teen rated game after sims 2 and busting out.
    giphy.gif

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    I don't really want an m rated sim game. Maybe if they make two separate games in the future. Like one for kids, and one for young adults Either than that no. I agree we just need less immaturity in the sims or just less child immaturity.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    I think the problem with this version of the sims it too PC. (No I do not mean diversity) They had the insanity trait turn to the erractic trait. It feels like the game is making sure players don't feel stress or upset. My sims feel like they are in happyville. Nothing bad happens or going happen. Let my sims that do poorly get fired.Let my sims have disasters like meteor showers, or earthquake that actually destroy things.Let my sims get robbed.Yes it can be a challenge, but it adds excitement