Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inefficiency in TS4 Swatches

TS4 uses a premade swatches system instead of having a colorwheel or Create a Style for the sake of performance since it 's supposed to require less memory since if you used CASt, every texture you created would have to be loaded by the game so you could potentially end up with hundreds of them if you do it enough. Using premade swatches means there's a limit to how much resources texture files use up. However, their swatch system is very inefficient and I would argue actually makes the game slower and far less customizeable than it could be.

There are many, many, many swatches that I really dislike so I don't use them, however, the game still has to load them into the game. Thus there are a lot of bloating textures in the game that do nothing except take up space. If I had the ability to create ones I like using a colorwheel or CASt, then the game would only load the ones I use instead of wasting memory on unsused swatches which would increase performance.

Moreover, if CASt was definitely not an option, TS4's system is still vastly inferior to TS2's swatch system. In TS2, object swatches come in parts so that you can choose the colors of different parts of an object individually between different swatches. For example, you can choose a bed frame color swatch and a bedding color swatch independently from a premade pool of swatches. This is highly efficient since, for example, 5 bed frame swatches and 5 bedding swatches would lead to 25 different combinations. If each of those texture files was 250kb (a ts4 texture size), then for 25 options only 2.5mb of memory would be required. Meanwhile, in TS4 texture images apply to the whole object, therefore to have the same 25 options for the same image size 6.25 mb would be required. That is 2.6 times as much memory.

It gets worse as you increase the number of options. Let's say that you also wanted different options for the pillowcase. For 5 pillow options that would lead to 125 different combination options, which would be great for the player. Image if we had that much customizability for each object. In TS2, such a bed would only take up 3.75mb, while in ts4 that would require 31.25mb or 8.3 times as much memory. This is also assuming that each texture size for ts2 and ts4 would be the same size, while since ts2 texture images have less data they'd acutally be lighter and would require even less resources.

What this means is that TS4, a game released a 10 years after TS2 is much less efficient in its use of memory which means it has to sacrifice customizability for performance -- something that TS2 did not have to sacrifice due to clever design. It's just another way that we're constrained by the developers which lead TS4 to feel like we're playing someone else's game and can never make it our own.

Comments

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I’m still annoyed that furniture pieces that are supposed to match from the same pack don’t even have the same swatch options a lot of the time. It’s pretty ridiculous.

Also, I didn’t know they said all of that about saving resources as the reason they didn’t add customization. But if that’s the case, why did they add it for pets?

The thing is... they sacrifice customizability for performance but we don't get the performance, either, since ts4 is so inefficient.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    I miss customisation, I wish we at least had a colour wheel :(
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    honestly i agree the clothes appliances and funiture as well as walls needs more color choices
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I suppose with such large drives of Terabytes now that mere megabytes don't matter any more. I've didn't notice this but am happy that CAS never lags for long periods and refuses to load like it did for me in the last iteration.

I'd like more accessories like scarves, shawls and layering though - even handbags!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    about the color swatch and customization i have a perfect exemple say you went to create for your sim a 1970 style house (*exemple) and in the kitchen you went harvest gold appliance stove fridge dishwasher washer dryer if house you are creating you place the washer dryer in the kitchen and went 1970 colors for living room decor it would be nice to have the option in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    I agree in the swatches comments versus the system that was used with Sims3 and customization. If it was supposedly intended as a performance thing with Sims4, why is it that some of us are actually noticing just as much of a performance or resource hit running it as we might have with Sims3 at times (or, at least, it sometimes feels that way)?

What annoys me at times is not just that some things don't even seem to match (or that we can't as easily customize certain items as we could in even Sims2), but just the limitations we sometimes have or in trying to match certain items and being limited to basically all white (which might work in certain situations, but some of us might want those different wood tones/finishes or may want to be able to work with colors in such a way that things go together more).

Or, we may have otherwise gorgeous objects in the game we might want to use in certain situations, but the options that are offered either will sometimes include wild colors or patterns (which might work in certain other situations but maybe not for things like a historical household or even some normal sim households). It would be nice in those situations if we even had other options that included maybe solid colors or something like one might find in everyday life as an option as well.

While I'm happy that I sometimes don't have to wait long periods for a lot to finish rendering as with Sims3 at times and honestly love some of the features we have with Sims4 as well as some of the objects and how we can better customize sims, I also miss having some of the level of customization that we had in Sims3 with respect to colors and patterns.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I don't mind the swatches, I'm a really speedy decorator, it simplifies my life, however, as someone said above, if at least the swatches matched... I already have swatches that don't match in my house, can I at least have it in the Sims!?! :D
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    The swatches in build buy mode are very lacking, in my humble opinion. Far too often, fabric will match but the wood colour won't and vice versa. This limits the amount of items a player can use when decorating and furnishing a house. I don't want different wood colours in each room - I would like to match up wood, but too often this is not possible and I find myself having to sacrifice wood colour in order to find a matching fabric. There are occasions when nothing at all matches in a room, neither the wood or the fabric and this is very frustrating and unsatisfactory from my point of view. I'm very surprised that the decision was made to take out Create a style but then not make up for this lack in other ways. Finding items to match is extremely time-consuming and too often leaves me dissatisfied with the final result.

I really do wish they would make a separate tool that players could use to create their own items and add their preferred items to their own game. Why they overlooked this is beyond me and it has really spoilt my enjoyment of building and furnishing homes.
  • SashaLuvSashaLuv Posts: 2 New Member
    Bring back the color wheel pleeeeease! All of my builds are starting to look the same while trying to match furniture and other decor!
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    :'( I just want the furniture to match!!! Is that too much to ask?! *cries*
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited March 2019
    Especially wood swatches are really bad and most don't match.
    Hopefully they bring back the color wheel where we can customize every part of the object like the bed frame or blanket
    a256aFi.gif
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    edited March 2019
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    :'( I just want the furniture to match!!! Is that too much to ask?! *cries*

Same. it's infuriating how not even simple black or white colors match. At least these basic colors should have the same Hex/RGB code.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    In addition to things not matching, I think a lot of items just do not come with good color pallets. A lot of items have very vibrant colors, or heavily stylized textures that realistically would have to be used with matching items. It’s nearly impossible to mix and match different sets and come out with something appealing. Little coordination was done for this, and it shows. Matching textures on all kinds of items was a major selling point of Sims 3, regardless of this game having CASt they should have at least made an effort to accommodate that to some extent.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Swatches are really bad in this game. And swatches aren't the only area where TS4 is really weak.

The UI system : no personalities, no impactful traits, awful reactions, behaviours and relations, no memory, no favourites, no likes/dislikes, no turn ons/offs.
    Boring animations : every interactions are just one recycled animation, not enough animations bring up with new DLCs
    No NPCs : burglars, firefighters, social service etc
    No challenge and consequences
    No cars
    And I could continue the list...

I really have the feeling to play a 00's game in the 20's.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I kinda wish they’d make an external create a style tool or something.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

I agree. They've left nothing for players' creativity at all.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

I'd like to see an external tool for recoloring. Something that allows us to easily import/export with our game, similar to what Sims 2 had in Body Shop. I totally get not having a tool like that in game to prevent it from weighing it down, but I feel like by now they should have improved on an external tool.

Just another reason I think they should look back at the roots of the Sims games, especially Sims 2.
    #Team Occult
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    It happens with the clothes as well. Making it frustrating to try and match a red top (for example) with a certain skirt or pants that is in a "different" red color. Overall, there needs to be more color options in both plain wall design, wall papers, furniture, and clothes or in CAS/Build selections.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    for those asking for an external create a style took, Sims 4 Studio is incredibly easy to use.

However, there really shouldn't be a need for that. And you'll run into the same problem I outlined in my original post -- if you lots of swatches it's going to slow your game down unlike in ts2.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It happens with the clothes as well. Making it frustrating to try and match a red top (for example) with a certain skirt or pants that is in a "different" red color. Overall, there needs to be more color options in both plain wall design, wall papers, furniture, and clothes or in CAS/Build selections.

Don't get me started - I don't know how often I've chosen a cute top and ended up having to discard it because absolutely no pants or skirts matched. Or, I've got my Sim all decked out in her winter clothing and can't find a hat that matches anything in her outfit. Can't we have a white that is not actually grey, or a light beige in addition to a dark beige?

I'd prefer to have fewer choices, but more synchronisation in the swatches. Instead of a red-purple in one outfit and a blue-purple in another, can we just have one basic purple? It would also help if we could customise the colour of hair accessories, since hair bands always seem to clash with everything else.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    As someone who played sims 2 a lot, I can't understand why they didn't go for 2 separate swatch options for furniture. It is so frustrating not to be able to choose bedframe and bedding separately, or cushions for a couch. I understand the performance argument but the way swatches work now is a huge step backwards, worse than it was in sims 2.

A color wheel would be even better, even just adjusting the color without the whole texture creation would be a vast improvement but I doubt that will happen in sims 4.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I agree that the unmatching is very frustrating. If we have to be limited at least limit us with things we can use. More basics! I love the funky stuff but basics that can pull things together are severely lacking. As much as I'd LOVE a color wheel or even a limited one I'm sure it's never going to happen so I kinda just don't even put my energy into wishing.

.... although.... couldn't have they given us a limited color wheel for things that are supposed to go together (wall and floor tiling, counters/cabinets and tables/chairs, plumbing objects).
    I think all build mode objects (doors, windows, trim, etc) and most buy mode should have the same plain white, black, brown, grey and beige option. While not always ideal, I think way more things would be usable.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    It would also help if we could customise the colour of hair accessories, since hair bands always seem to clash with everything else.

That drives me nuts! Either make it a hat or give me a neutral option. And the fact that it changes based on hair color makes no sense.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I hate the prints they put on some of the beds. I have CC so I can change those awful prints.