Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game takes several minutes to close

I've done a fresh install of the Sims 3 and everything is going good so far other than that the game takes several minutes to close. It's the same machine and I didn't have this issue before, was working two days ago on the old install. I have less mods and custom content now. In fact, just the needed NRAAS mods. This time I used sp3e to combine all the NRAAS mods. I made a change to this line in sims3.ini "[ResourceSystem] MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000" by changing the 2 to a 4. I also decided not to install pets or seasons this time around. That is what is different with this new install (that I know of).

Not a game breaking issue, I don't think. Sometimes I get impatient and try to open task manager to shut it down but that makes the game have a "not responding error" which will in fact close it. Anyway, it's otherwise performing better than ever. It's just this game is so sensitive that any change in the way it behaves just makes me paranoid. Anyone had this problem before? Did you overcome it and how did you do it?

Comments

• Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    edited March 2019
    Okay, I don' t know why I posted this. It was easy to test. It's the change to the ini file. However, this seemed to make quite a difference in performance so I'm keeping the change but still hope there's a way to get rid of the problem. Edit: problem is intermittent it would seem.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    I made a change to this line in sims3.ini "[ResourceSystem] MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000" by changing the 2 to a 4.
    I'm afraid this accomplishes nothing. What you have done is change the theoretical maximum size of the game's script heap from 20 GB to 40 GB. This setting has been commonly misinterpreted as the game's actual RAM usage limit (it isn't) as being set to 2 GB, which is a miscount of the zeros or using the wrong unit of measure. We don't know why the default is 20 GB except to say that some game developer along the way while the patches were still rolling out decided that it should be that. It's probably not a huge issue, but I would recommend setting it back.

This may not be relevant, but I find that the game takes "forever" to close if I have saved my current game session without really having moved the game clock forward such as one might if the entire session was taken up with building and re-design projects. Or sometimes if I quit without ever having saved at all. I believe that the last time I looked into this, ProcessMonitor revealed that the game was very concerned with updating FeaturedItems in these instances, which it cannot do because I have that folder locked down. I usually walk away or do something else on my computer while the game is gracefully shutting down, which it will do eventually and in a matter of minutes but not hours, and mutter something about "okay, whatever makes the game happy."

There is also an issue with Patch 1.67 that arose last summer whereby if the Launcher is used to start the game and the player logs in, it can continue to keep running after the game has quit due to a change that was made to the servers that process the logins on EA's end not having taken 1.67 into account. There is a solution for that, but that's just the Launcher and is not relevant if the game is started up by way of a Launcher bypass or if one is on Origin/Patch 1.69 so it's probably not relevant here.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @igazor but I can't seem to recreate the problem now. I did forget to delete my cache for awhile, so maybe that was the issue? I guess the memory thing was all in my head. It's hard to tell since my games performance has always been inconsistent.
    Well, it's doing it again. Your suggestions are helping get around it though. Odd I didn't have the problem till now but I'm not concerned because everything else is running very well. Thanks again @igazor