Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

should i buy the sims 3?

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited March 2019
    Although I loved TS3, and still have it installed with my old saves, I find it difficult to play two different versions of this game. I've now grown used to TS4, it has lots of content that I was missing in the beginning, and my stories have evolved to where I want them. The UI is also different, how to deal with all in game clicking is one thing, but how CC and cheat codes work is also a big deal. I will go back to TS3 some day, probably, but I realize it would be too complicated running both series at the same time.

So, I'd not go back if I was you. But IF you want to go back to one of the previous series, TS3 should be a good choice :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    it's up to you it has a lot of issues but if you decide to buy it get Sesons Nightlife adn Universty with it
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    If you want to go back and try a different sims game, I would highly recommend sims 2. Sims 3 is alright, but it's definitely my least favorite of the series.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    today sims3 is not worth it better stick to the sims4 in my honest opinion
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    Depends on what you want out of it and will your system be able to handle it. My systems was and still able to play it with ease. In comparsion to Sims 4, Sims 3 has more robust features than Sims 4 Imo but for you only you can make that decision. Look at any reviews on the program and some U Tube videos for examples of gameplay. I and everyone else on this forum has different opinions on how good or bad Sims 3 was. Sims 2 was the best but there are an few situations in it now that can make play a annoying and there are some fixes on online that can fix those annoyances like on ModtheSims. Graphics for me is still great and not pixellated (Sims 3) as some had said but that depends on if you know how to tweak your system and know some tricks in computing. Lag is an problem for some and it may not affect everyone unless it happens to be an developer issue causing it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    If you have a decent computer, I’d recommend trying out TS3. It really is a great game. Biggest downfall for me is the performance issues. Even with a custom built PC, it’s not a smooth game. I still experience lag and freezes here and there. Maybe try the base game and see how you like it? Starting small is also beneficial considering there’s a lot to do in the game. Having everything at once can be overwhelming, especially for a new player.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I've been playing Sims 3 while waiting on new content for Sims 4. Yes the graphics and gameplay are smoother in 4 and I do prefer the asthetics of 4 over 3, but there is a lot more to do and keep busy in Sims 3. I recently went back to create a world and made my own world with all content from all packs and space for store lit content and I'm enjoying it.

If you're just looking for something to do while waiting on Sims 4 content then yes I do recommend it as it does have gameplay, like open world, that is different then Sims 4. If you do decide to invest in them then I also recommend looking for some player built world's as they often consolidate stuff from all packs.

But I do worn you the Sims 3 and Sims 3 store has not gone down in price so it could get expensive. If you are able to find compilation packs or the whole set for a decent price go for it. If not then just get one EP that interests you more than the others with the base game and give it a try before going all in.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    leetamme wrote: »
    I've been playing Sims 3 while waiting on new content for Sims 4. Yes the graphics and gameplay are smoother in 4 and I do prefer the asthetics of 4 over 3, but there is a lot more to do and keep busy in Sims 3. I recently went back to create a world and made my own world with all content from all packs and space for store lit content and I'm enjoying it.

If you're just looking for something to do while waiting on Sims 4 content then yes I do recommend it as it does have gameplay, like open world, that is different then Sims 4. If you do decide to invest in them then I also recommend looking for some player built world's as they often consolidate stuff from all packs.

But I do worn you the Sims 3 and Sims 3 store has not gone down in price so it could get expensive. If you are able to find compilation packs or the whole set for a decent price go for it. If not then just get one EP that interests you more than the others with the base game and give it a try before going all in.

Definitely not as they know people are still buying stuff from the store it is an source of secondary income for them. Believe if it was an free enterprise it would be closed down real quick and an sign Sims 3 will not be archived as quick as Sims 1 or 2, however it will be down the road.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I couldn’t return to TS3.
    My main reasons are for TS4’s customization and the accessibility to other worlds.
    Certainly, there are things about TS3 that I prefer, but it isn’t worth it (for me) to play it over TS4.

But hey, why not give it a shot, if you’re really interested? I always loved TS3. It’s just that I love TS4 more now.
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I personally would only recommend it if you already have a beast pc anyway (and not having to buy one just to run it) and you see them in one those amazing steam sales where everything's like a dollar. I've only seen a sims 3 on sale twice though
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I would start with the base game and see if you like it. It´s actually a very different gameplay compared to the Sims 4. Personally, I prefer the Sims 3, but I also like and play Sims 4.

You don´t need a gaming rig to run the game, I play it on a normal pc without any problems, but a dedicated graphic card sure helps with performance. Wouldn´t play it on a normal laptop (it nearly fried mine).

Highly recommend the Nraas mods, they help with all the annoying bugs the developers never bothered to fix.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    BerryCharmingBerryCharming Posts: 38 Member
    Why was this asked in the sims 4 section, most people here are strictly sims 4 players.
  • Options
    BaseGameHeroBaseGameHero Posts: 4 New Member
    I'd say pass on it unless you can find it SUPER cheap. 4 is a much more polished experience IMO even though it doesn't have everything 3 does.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I have TS3 and have no problem playing with every pack installed EXCEPT into the future and island paradise. It's ok, game runs smoothly and it has open world but to be honest I much prefer the gameplay in TS2 over TS3 hands down.

I have sims 3 also, and I have no problems with it, I have all games packs except supernatural. In fact all packs, I do not do CC or Mods it runs smoothly and I love the open world, and there are so many worlds, I also have Sims 4, I play both, but I do think that my sims 3 I like the best. I have a hard time with teens looking like college kids in sims 4 and I wish I could delete going to school as in sims 3. I find more things to do with my sims in sims 3, I have a hard time with things to do or places to go, But it is all about what you like.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2019
    Grab the game on a Steam sale if you decide to buy. Or you can try it out with a month sub of Origin Access Basic for $4.99 USD (you'll get access to The Sims 3 Starter Pack & other basic vault titles ).

S3 is my personal favorite for a couple of reasons but to simply put it; open world, create-a-style, gameplay, and even the graphics. I think the game looks great for a game that came out in 2009 when playing w/ max setting + 1080p or better. I also don't experience any performance issues that make the game unplayable. That's not to say it's perfect without flaws. It's an old 32-bit game after all and we're talking about EA here so there are some bugs just like this current series has. Nothing that should stop you in your tracks. Just make sure your computer meets the requirements + any added packs.

The Sims 3 community is still active btw. Feel free to post in the S3 section with any related topics.
    Why was this asked in the sims 4 section, most people here are strictly sims 4 players.
    That's what I was thinking.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I can still go back and play TS3, although I have a good computer and it still crashes or hangs from time to time. There are some things I prefer regarding TS4's aesthetics, but TS3 looks fine.

You'll have to get used to some things like the lack of multi-tasking apart from some specific cases, and lackluster toddlers, but TS3 also offers a lot to do. If only they bothered patching in 64-bit and stability fixes though
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    idkemily wrote: »
    im a newer player to the sims franchise, i played it a bit growing up but never really got into it until a year ago and got addicted super quick and now i have all the packs available for the sims 4. i still find the game lacking, and i know they're coming out with more stuff over the years, but i just need more gameplay NOW. should i spend money on the sims 3 and its packs or is it not worth it?

I say spend the money. Definitely worth it. As is Sims 2 if you can locate it. The only reason I don't play 2 and 3 as often as I'd like is because of time constraints so the majority of my gaming time is spent on 4.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited March 2019
    Up to you! I still go back to it sometimes, it was my first sims game.

But yeah, it's very poorly optimized. It really lags, no matter what computer you play it on. It's unfortunate; I liked the features that cause the lag in the first place. Open World and CASt is neat.

Actually, a fresh savefile doesn't lag as much as old ones would. It's playable in the beginning. But once you're a few generations in, your world is toast.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »

But yeah, it's very poorly optimized. It really lags, no matter what computer you play it on. It's unfortunate; I liked the features that cause the lag in the first place. Open World and CASt is neat.

Actually, a fresh savefile doesn't lag as much as old ones would. It's playable in the beginning. But once you're a few generations in, your world is toast.
    I agree. Even though The Sims 3 provides a wide variety of gameplay features, the framerate is comparable to Max Payne on the PS2. Even after tweaking some data files to force the game to recognize my video card, it hasn't really made a dramatic difference.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    MMX wrote: »
    Magdaleena wrote: »

I agree. Even though The Sims 3 provides a wide variety of gameplay features, the framerate is comparable to Max Payne on the PS2. Even after tweaking some data files to force the game to recognize my video card, it hasn't really made a dramatic difference.
    Try turning vertical sync on along with triple buffering. This is done through the video card control panel. Then track fps in game to make sure it's capping to your monitors refresh rate. Sims 3 does not have built in vsync like Sims 4 does. This is neccecary to do with S3. It should control frames better vs letting them run wild. Those extra frames are noise not very beneficial for sims.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    I say go for it but depending how high graphic and video card cause one of other are require I play the ts3 once while i get bored of the sims 4 due i lack in packs but unsure about the lag i don't get from mine and i got lot cc works fine.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    No one has asked what type of computer you have. That matters because Sims 3 is no longer supported on Mac at all, and PC's are heading in the same direction (Sims 3 is a 32 bit game and everyone is moving to 64 bit). So you need to have a backwards compatible OS to even play it.
    That said, if you can and want to play it, find it on sale and check it out. It has it's pluses and minuses like they all do. I played for hours every week for years. It's a fun game. But because of it's age, definitely find it on sale.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    64-bit OSs totally support 32-bit apps like TS3, btw
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited March 2019
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    64-bit OSs totally support 32-bit apps like TS3, btw

Yes, if they are backwards compatible, which Windows currently is. I'm not a Windows user (I only have a partition for Sims 2) but I read some stuff about them upgrading completely here over the next year and dropping 32 bit support.
    Macs have had problems with Sims 3 crashing for years because they were 64 bit years ago, and the game being 32 meant that it crashed when it tried to access the extra and couldn't use it. Then after the last OS update, it was no longer backwards compatible, and Sims 3 no longer works.
    So, yeah, if you have an older computer (mine is 64 bit and is 6 years old, so pretty plum old for electronics), you can still play Sims 3. But it's only a matter of time. Nvidia already dropped its support over a year ago.
    That's why I emphasized to buy it on sale, even if you have a Windows computer.

Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Grab the game on a Steam sale if you decide to buy.

This is what I did in November last year. Got TS3 basegame + all the packs (minus the Katy Perry one, of course) at 75% off at a Steam sale. Absolutely worth it.

Its still a great game, I've been playing TS3 instead of 4 lately. There is just so much more to do, the worlds are larger with more land to build on, and there is more variation to building/decorating. TS3 is less restricted.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top