Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Small Things" Stuff Pack?

SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
Hi! I was thinking about this the other night, and thought I would share my ideas here to see if anyone else would like to see this stuff.

In the Sims 4 there's quite a few GIANT objects that really need a smaller version for us to be able to use that feature. I would love to see some small versions of large objects added to the game, and would happily pay for them in a pack (assuming they're done correctly). The smaller items could have decreased skill gain, etc, to still make the larger versions worth buying. Some variety in options for these objects would be great both for building and playing--a sort of quality-of-life pack.

Here are some objects that I had thought of that REALLY need a smaller version to be regularly used.
  • Telescope
    - Probably one of the most obvious ones, telescopes in previous games were always a simple telescope on a tripod, that would usually have a 2x2 footprint. Obviously this would require new meshes/animations, but so will most everything on this list. The tripod version of a telescope wouldn't have the woohoo options (obviously), but the other functionality should be unchanged overall.
  • Microscope
    - Okay honestly, why do we need a ginormous laser microscope with a built-in CHAIR when we could just have a little one that sits on a desk or table? This is definitely one that could take a hit to skill gain and maybe how long it takes Sims to use it, but a simple little microscope that sits on a desk/table/counter just like a computer would be great.
  • Cupcake Machine
    - Yet another object that requires its own room for you to be able to use it. I would love to see a toaster oven or something that you could set on your counter and use for baked goods.
    - Side note: why are cakes not part of the baking skill if you have GTW? This has always bothered me...
  • Bars
    - Not a giant item exactly, and I know we have the little globe that holds juice, but a kitchen appliance or even a 1x1 cupboard with drinks in it would be easier to incorporate into the average home rather than even the smallest bars that never seem to match the counters.
  • Dollhouses
    - The current dollhouses are just... huge. Sure, we can size them down now, but then the animations don't line up and the footprint doesn't actually change... It's just rough. It would be cool to see a Polly Pocket-style toy for kids that is smaller and can be folded up and taken with them to play anywhere. Toddlers probably wouldn't be allowed to play with it though, due to the small size of the dolls likely being a choking hazard. And while we're on the topic of portable fun...
  • Playing Cards
    - I know this one's a bit of a stretch as it would require a lot of new animations/functionality, but it would be awesome to have a deck of cards that kids-elders can play with and carry with them. They could have a variety of different games, a solitaire option, and maybe even a "build house of cards" option as well. Being able to just select it from your inventory and choose other Sims to play with, then route to the nearest playing surface (or kneel on the ground and play) would be great for storytelling, outings, and challenges where you start off poor and can't really afford the expensive entertainment options.
  • Piano
    - I almost forgot to add this one, which is a bit funny since it's the item that annoys me the most as I like to play creative Sims. Look, the baby grand piano we have is great... but can I PLEASE have a smaller version that is either 1x2 or 2x2 like the keyboard in CL?
    - It can be priced somewhere between the keyboard and the baby grand, and wouldn't make the keyboard obsolete because it wouldn't be portable (obviously).
    - Honestly, it just seems to me like the baby grand can't ever just be part of a room--it's so large and fancy that it has to be a centerpiece or have its own dedicated area. And the keyboard would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that it sounds horrible and electronic (as it should). Just a regular standing piano like most normal people have would literally get me to spend $10 on just that alone.

Those are some of the things I came up with! Of course not all of these would probably make it into a Stuff Pack as that's a lot of animations to do, but a girl can dream. Would you like to see these in the game, or were there any other objects that you could think of that would fit?

Edit: Forgot to add pianos to the list initially.
Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
Post edited by Snowie on

Comments

• CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    I agree. I don't know if it's enough for a pack, but stuff like the telescope and microscope are just unrealistic. Yeah, you can shrink them down using the [ and ] keys, but that makes them unplayable. Maybe they could just add stuff like that in an update.
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    I agree. I don't know if it's enough for a pack, but stuff like the telescope and microscope are just unrealistic. Yeah, you can shrink them down using the [ and ] keys, but that makes them unplayable. Maybe they could just add stuff like that in an update.

I don't think those things by themselves would be enough for a stuff pack, and a free update with them would be really nice, but at this point I expect EA to want money for this stuff. In any case, if it were the "small stuff pack" or something along those lines, it could come with some clutter we've been lacking as well as the usual CAS and build mode stuff.
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    I'd buy that. Good idea!
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Snowie wrote: »
    Hi! I was thinking about this the other night, and thought I would share my ideas here to see if anyone else would like to see this stuff.

In the Sims 4 there's quite a few GIANT objects that really need a smaller version for us to be able to use that feature. I would love to see some small versions of large objects added to the game, and would happily pay for them in a pack (assuming they're done correctly). The smaller items could have decreased skill gain, etc, to still make the larger versions worth buying. Some variety in options for these objects would be great both for building and playing--a sort of quality-of-life pack.

Here are some objects that I had thought of that REALLY need a smaller version to be regularly used.
    • Telescope
      - Probably one of the most obvious ones, telescopes in previous games were always a simple telescope on a tripod, that would usually have a 2x2 footprint. Obviously this would require new meshes/animations, but so will most everything on this list. The tripod version of a telescope wouldn't have the woohoo options (obviously), but the other functionality should be unchanged overall.
    • Microscope
      - Okay honestly, why do we need a ginormous laser microscope with a built-in CHAIR when we could just have a little one that sits on a desk or table? This is definitely one that could take a hit to skill gain and maybe how long it takes Sims to use it, but a simple little microscope that sits on a desk/table/counter just like a computer would be great.
    • Cupcake Machine
      - Yet another object that requires its own room for you to be able to use it. I would love to see a toaster oven or something that you could set on your counter and use for baked goods.
      - Side note: why are cakes not part of the baking skill if you have GTW? This has always bothered me...
    • Bars
      - Not a giant item exactly, and I know we have the little globe that holds juice, but a kitchen appliance or even a 1x1 cupboard with drinks in it would be easier to incorporate into the average home rather than even the smallest bars that never seem to match the counters.
    • Dollhouses
      - The current dollhouses are just... huge. Sure, we can size them down now, but then the animations don't line up and the footprint doesn't actually change... It's just rough. It would be cool to see a Polly Pocket-style toy for kids that is smaller and can be folded up and taken with them to play anywhere. Toddlers probably wouldn't be allowed to play with it though, due to the small size of the dolls likely being a choking hazard. And while we're on the topic of portable fun...
    • Playing Cards
      - I know this one's a bit of a stretch as it would require a lot of new animations/functionality, but it would be awesome to have a deck of cards that kids-elders can play with and carry with them. They could have a variety of different games, a solitaire option, and maybe even a "build house of cards" option as well. Being able to just select it from your inventory and choose other Sims to play with, then route to the nearest playing surface (or kneel on the ground and play) would be great for storytelling, outings, and challenges where you start off poor and can't really afford the expensive entertainment options.

Those are some of the things I came up with! Of course not all of these would probably make it into a Stuff Pack as that's a lot of animations to do, but a girl can dream. Would you like to see these in the game, or were there any other objects that you could think of that would fit?

I don't like resizing things - the animations aren't right, and sometimes they cause routing issues. It would be nice to have the regular-sized telescope you could put on a balcony or roof in previous games. I hadn't thought about the dollhouse before, but you're right - it's one of my favourite objects, but it takes up so much room, I rarely use it. It just doesn't need a 3x2 footprint - 2x2 should be sufficient.

I can't see them doing a pack for this, but maybe as new objects in other packs. (Of course, people would complain that they're just smaller versions of content we aleady have.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    edited January 2019
    Awesome idea! Would especially love a smaller telescope and cupcake machine!!!
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,405 Member
    I really miss the old telescopes. I would love a pack like this, might even be tempted to pay full price for a stuff pack with a decent telescope for a balcony.
    Forgot to add one of the most important ones (to me): Pianos! Would really love a 1x2 or even 2x2 piano item that's just a standing piano. I know we have the keyboard in CL but it sounds awful and electronic. Would really love a piano that's just smaller and sounds like the grand piano we already have.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I would sooo love more smaller and small space stuff. We have better routing in this game and can put things closer together, but some stuff is so huge. In addition to the above ideas I would like to see mini fridges both free standing and the sort that go into the cabinetry the same way the dishwasher does. Single tile end table sized dressers (tacky and cheap plastic a plus) as well as beds with functioning drawers. Ideally I'd like to see two types of beds with drawers. The first would be nice wood ones in all sizes, then a cheap single and double bed with plastic bins under it (from the not so good old days). Last, the return of the all in one bathroom from the Sims 3. Wet bathrooms, small bathrooms where everything is very close (no shower doors or curtain) with the whole room designed to get wet is a thing in small spaces. I miss them very much particularly the out house looking one that went great in parks.
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I really love the smaller, matching bars and countertop baking appliance idea!
    I really love the smaller, matching bars and countertop baking appliance idea!

I've recently started incorporating bars into my kitchens and it's such a pain to find a matching set! Maybe a wine fridge (slots under a counter like a dishwasher) or something would work.
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    Once when they asked to share what we'd like to see I posted this same thing regarding the miniature fridges for the counters.
    A bit more variety in 1-tile Book cases would be nice. And the small fridge sounds interesting. This Idea reminds me of the small fridge in Sims 2 university.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I want small dollhouses too. Not that I do not like the big ones, but they seem to be rich kid's toy, my poor kids need something affordable to play.
    Also, since thats "small things" SP, my niece's son is a toddler and he has a little tiny piano he can sit on, I can handle how cute it is... I need that in the game.

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes, I completely agree with you, esp. smaller pianos. I often find I have no room to add a piano so I have to use a keyboard or the organ instead. If we had a piano with a similar shape to the organ I would be very happy. The size of the dollhouse too is just silly.
    Smaller dollhouses and piano would be very welcome. I agree the large dollhouses look like toys for rich kids.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Agree !! As for the cupcake maker : Why did they make a giant factory-sized thing when they could have just made a Kitchenaid type robot? That would have been a great kitchen item !
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I'd much rather see these things patched in, personally.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Smoky1967Smoky1967 Posts: 41 Member
    I love all of your ideas! Having smaller "home versions" of the large items would add so much to not only game play but building as well. As with the bar and cupcake factory, why not add counters to the existing line up that are just for drink making or baking. Then they would match the counters (it's so annoying to match bars to counters) and have everything they need to prepare stuff on top of the counter. kind of like the pumpkin carving stations or kid's craft tables...???!!!
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I live in an apartment, so I like small stuff too! I'd like a flute or an harmonica. Small and portable. That goes in the inventory... The huge telescope is ridiculous. Just... Why?!?

Baby carrier? Pet carrier? Sigway? Skateboard (to travel). Air balloons for kids to carry around. Kites. Balls. Schoolbag. Pepper spray. Makeup. Water bottle. Portable chair. Blanket? Pet to carry on the shoulder...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
    I'd much rather see these things patched in, personally.

That would be even better than a stuff pack. :)
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    The microscope ones kinda funny cause they already have a small model of one as a decor item reward for astronauts
    caitytrina.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I definitely agree with the dollhouses. They make it seem like huge dollhouses are the standard. Personally I've seen very few dollhouses irl that are the same height as a toddler. Not only that, but they take up so much space. Most people I see who use them size them down anyway, so I'd love to see a smaller version.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2019
    I agree it would be cool if they patched in smaller versions of the large objects, but I do think there is enough of them to warrant a stuff pack with some additions to what has already been mentioned. For instance;

1. End and Coffee tables - IMO we need a variety of smaller ones. The ones in the game seem huge to me and take up so much space. If you shrink them, then objects you try to put on them float in the air unless you fiddle around with MOO to get them to sit correctly.
    2. Showers - I'd love just a showerhead, hot/cold knobs and glass doors or shower curtains as separate objects. That way we could design our own and save space.
    3. Appliances - Counter stove tops/grills (like a Jenn-Air), table top hibachi grills that would sit on the end of a picnic table, built in wall ovens, and under counter microwaves/coffee makers. All of these would save space too.
    4. Stuffed Toys, like Blarfy - A smaller version of these that toddlers/children could carry/hug/talk to would be great.
    5. Dressers - I think we only have a couple one tile dressers right now, all the others are at least two. I know we can shrink some of them, but sometimes they just look odd when you do that. Most dressers are too deep? (if that makes sense) We need slimmer ones that don't stick out from the wall so far. I'd love some smaller versions of the closets too as far as depth goes. There's one lovely, slim 'closet' that registers as a dresser that's two tiles and has one door open showing a backpack/clothes. I'd love a one tile closet like that with one door partially open. It wouldn't need the 'regular' closet animations, just act as a dresser.
    6. Hall tables - We have some slim ones, but most are too deep again, like the dressers.
    7. Computer desks - I love the one tile desk with the bookcase above and the two writing tables for children/teens, but I'd like more variety of these smaller types of desks and perhaps make their depth smaller.
    8. Clutter objects - More small objects that would fit on shelves and an update to the ones we have that WOULD fit but don't for some reason unless you use MOO to put them there.
    9. Hot tubs - Smaller two person versions like we had in The Sims Vacation. They looked like a big barrel, so kind of rustic, but could give us a more modern version too. Built in hot tubs would be fantastic too of these smaller versions (big ones too though).

Perhaps it would be better to call this a 'Space Savers' SP instead. lol These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

Happy Simming! <3

EDIT to Add: I think ladders and spiral staircases would fit nicely into a Space Savers SP too!
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    : I think ladders and spiral staircases would fit nicely into a Space Savers SP too!

That would be a great idea, spiral staircases or U-shaped stairs would make a big differnce in building houses.
    I think a space savers SP would be a fitting name for all kind of small but usable objects.

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I agree it would be cool if they patched in smaller versions of the large objects, but I do think there is enough of them to warrant a stuff pack with some additions to what has already been mentioned. For instance;

1. End and Coffee tables - IMO we need a variety of smaller ones. The ones in the game seem huge to me and take up so much space. If you shrink them, then objects you try to put on them float in the air unless you fiddle around with MOO to get them to sit correctly.
    2. Showers - I'd love just a showerhead, hot/cold knobs and glass doors or shower curtains as separate objects. That way we could design our own and save space.
    3. Appliances - Counter stove tops/grills (like a Jenn-Air), table top hibachi grills that would sit on the end of a picnic table, built in wall ovens, and under counter microwaves/coffee makers. All of these would save space too.
    4. Stuffed Toys, like Blarfy - A smaller version of these that toddlers/children could carry/hug/talk to would be great.
    5. Dressers - I think we only have a couple one tile dressers right now, all the others are at least two. I know we can shrink some of them, but sometimes they just look odd when you do that. Most dressers are too deep? (if that makes sense) We need slimmer ones that don't stick out from the wall so far. I'd love some smaller versions of the closets too as far as depth goes. There's one lovely, slim 'closet' that registers as a dresser that's two tiles and has one door open showing a backpack/clothes. I'd love a one tile closet like that with one door partially open. It wouldn't need the 'regular' closet animations, just act as a dresser.
    6. Hall tables - We have some slim ones, but most are too deep again, like the dressers.
    7. Computer desks - I love the one tile desk with the bookcase above and the two writing tables for children/teens, but I'd like more variety of these smaller types of desks and perhaps make their depth smaller.
    8. Clutter objects - More small objects that would fit on shelves and an update to the ones we have that WOULD fit but don't for some reason unless you use MOO to put them there.
    9. Hot tubs - Smaller two person versions like we had in The Sims Vacation. They looked like a big barrel, so kind of rustic, but could give us a more modern version too. Built in hot tubs would be fantastic too of these smaller versions (big ones too though).

Perhaps it would be better to call this a 'Space Savers' SP instead. lol These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

Happy Simming! <3

EDIT to Add: I think ladders and spiral staircases would fit nicely into a Space Savers SP too!

Yes to all of this. How could I forgot coffee tables? I've spent ages trying to find one that doesn't look ridiculously huge between the sofa and the TV in so many builds. Often I end up using an end table instead, but even they can look bulky at times. Then there's the added issue that certain objects can't be placed on certain surfaces, so you end up with this huge table/stand for them. Argh!