Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you let 'Wants' & 'Fears' dictate your gameplay?

IndigoGreeneIndigoGreene Posts: 49 Member
Hi guys!

Recently, I've been playing a lot of TS2 and enjoying the nostalgia :D and it's got me thinking about the 'Wants' & 'Fears' feature.

Back when the game first came out I very rarely listened to what my Sims actually wanted and played however I wanted to. I found the 'Wants' & 'Fears' super annoying and getting in the way of how I wanted their lives to go. As I'm sure you can imagine, my sims were pretty grumpy. This time around, (fast forward 10 years) I've been letting my Sims decide what we do and I've noticed it's a lot easier to play when they're happy (duh). The only thing I've ignored so far is the want to have 10 children. No thanks, I value my sanity!

So I thought I'd pose the question to the community, Do you let 'Wants' & 'Fears' dictate your gameplay?

Thanks!

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I usually try to fulfill my sims wants. Most wants they get are related to their aspiration or personality, so since I set those in CAS or as they age, I satisfy any of those wants. Sometimes a silly want can pop up and I will ignore it, I mostly focus on the ones they get that fit their personality. Fears don't really dictate what I do, usually mine are just normal ones like fear of someone dying ect. So whatever happens, happens. Though a couple times I had have a sim who wanted to have a baby, and a fear of having another baby. :D Nothing like aspiration falure right after birth! Gotta watch them closely!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, I may fill a few wants and I may fill a fear once in awhile but let the chips fall where they may. It's rare I would fill a want these days and only if I think it's necessary to get into a gold mood if I need them in a gold mood to use an object or something to save their life at the last minute, if I'm feeling merciful.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PleasantSimsPleasantSims Posts: 32 Member
    This is the only way I play. I follow my Sims' wants and let them make their own decisions and choose their own paths in life. I never force them to do anything (except take care of their basic needs) including working on skills, homework, relationships, or anything else.

It's so much fun to see how they turn out and where their lives take them! Most of my Sims never make it to the tops of their careers and when they do, they really worked for it. Some fail out of college, some sleep with half the town. It's really the only way I have fun playing.

I have poor Sims with no motivation, rich Sims who want nothing more than to be promoted, Romance Sims who cheat on their partners, Knowledge Sims with no interest in love. Everyone is different. If I just try to keep them in permaplat and everyone succeeds at everything because I force them to, that gets boring to me.
  • violaineTviolaineT Posts: 48 Member
    It depends of the aspiration of the Sims. Some are too easy/repetitive so you don't bother to have them in gold (friends/romantic). But sometimes I want to change the life want I don't like it but then the aspiration associated make it more difficult to go in gold. That's when I keep more interest in accomplishing the wants so I can use the reward item to change the aspiration.
  • IndigoGreeneIndigoGreene Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2019
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Though a couple times I had have a sim who wanted to have a baby, and a fear of having another baby. :D Nothing like aspiration falure right after birth! Gotta watch them closely!

@JULES1111 It's hilarious when this happens but pretty true to life I think!
  • IndigoGreeneIndigoGreene Posts: 49 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I may fill a few wants and I may fill a fear once in awhile but let the chips fall where they may. It's rare I would fill a want these days and only if I think it's necessary to get into a gold mood if I need them in a gold mood to use an object or something to save their life at the last minute, if I'm feeling merciful.

@Cinebar haha I love that 'if I'm feeling merciful' I do think I tend to go into the game with set goals/ a plan for their lives but it never goes to plan!
  • Hecate90Hecate90 Posts: 53 Member
    Sometimes, depends on the Sim and what I want to do with them. If I have a Sim who is very ambitious in terms of succeeding in their career and spending money with the Fortune aspiration I tend to abide by their wants and fears because I want all my Sims to be successful. On the other hand, if I have a Sim who has a husband and 4 kids with the Romance aspiration, their wants tend to be "woohoo with 3 different Sims!" and I would usually ignore those.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I always ignored fears... Too generic?
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    This is the only way I play. I follow my Sims' wants and let them make their own decisions and choose their own paths in life. I never force them to do anything (except take care of their basic needs) including working on skills, homework, relationships, or anything else.

It's so much fun to see how they turn out and where their lives take them! Most of my Sims never make it to the tops of their careers and when they do, they really worked for it. Some fail out of college, some sleep with half the town. It's really the only way I have fun playing.

I have poor Sims with no motivation, rich Sims who want nothing more than to be promoted, Romance Sims who cheat on their partners, Knowledge Sims with no interest in love. Everyone is different. If I just try to keep them in permaplat and everyone succeeds at everything because I force them to, that gets boring to me.

I LOVE your current Sims 2 series! I put it on "play all" and just indulge myself to the max! :smiley:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Yes, I like to let their wants dictate how I play them. If they want to cheat, I'll let/help them. Sometimes I'll let their fears play out and let them get caught- if that's the way I want it to go.
    Yes, I play with their wants but not ALL their wants, just the ones I want. :lol:
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    It depends on my mood. Sometimes, particularly if I dislike their Lifetime want, I will meet as many of their wants as I can to get the Freetime bar up, which makes them go perma-plat without meeting the LTW. If I like the LTW, then I'm more likely to ignore their wants, just doing enough to keep them from being miserable, and focusing on meeting the LTW. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to play out a story, and I'll do whatever I want to do to play it out, one way or another.
    About the only thing I ever do consistently is only play one Sim. They get married and have kids eventually, then I pick one kid and focus on them. I just don't like having a bunch of Sims around. lol.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • PleasantSimsPleasantSims Posts: 32 Member

I LOVE your current Sims 2 series! I put it on "play all" and just indulge myself to the max! :smiley:

Aww thanks so much!!
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I try to fulfill my sims wants, but there are frustrating ones like the want to get struck by lightning, see a ghost and be saved from death. Typically they happen when its the least possible thing at any given moment. ...Then they stay for weeks of my sims life! I just wish there was a way to nudge those little party poopers out of my sim's want slots!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • AleksandraAleksiaAleksandraAleksia Posts: 20 Member
    I consider my way of play to be half and half.
    Half of the time I'm helping them get their Wants, and trying to avoid their Fears.
    The other half I'm doing what I want to do, and just letting their Wants and Fears exist while I have a bit of fun with their lives.
    Even when I'm focusing on their Wants, I'm still trying to do what I want as a sort of side quest. The best is when I get their Wants when I'm doing something I want, because it feels like the gameplay just clicks together that way for me.
    However, none of this means I care about their happiness. Because I don't. I can do one to two Wants and they're Plat for a very long time. So in all honestly, I could focus less on their Wants and more on mine, but I still respect the Wants because I feel like my Sims deserve that. They're not actually people, but they are people to me with their own stories and personalities, so I'll let them take the lead a bit. I'm a merciful god.
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    Most of the time I have my sims do what I want them to do, but occasionally check and try to fulfill them so that they stay happy and don't go crazy. My most recent sim I've been playing (a single sim household), I already completed her lifetime want, so I don't have to worry as much with her.
  • Optok09Optok09 Posts: 6 New Member
    What my sims do are usually a combination of what both I and my sims want. I will usually try to fulfill the wants that are easier and the ones that I do not mind.
  • SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    Like most people have already said here, I'm more of a half-and-half player. A lot of times I'll let their wants decide what's going to happen, especially if I'm in a rut of what to do with them next. I haven't purposely achieved their fears since I was a young deviant player (hehehe). I do have plans for most of them by the time they're teens, and start going with their "fate" around that time, but I guess really for the most part I let them decide their futures, at least as much as Sims can decide their own futures :lol:
    The world is quiet here
  • noodlemamanoodlemama Posts: 37 Member
    Depending on how I'm playing that family, then yeah! If I'm trying to achieve a certain goal (like get a promotion before they age up or something) I'll usually ignore them but if I'm playing more for fun then I'll try and fulfill the wants
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I do use them way more in Sims 2, than I did in 4, where I totally ignored them, thankfully they are now disabled.

Recently, for example, I had created 3 seperate Sims to play. Two of them autonomously hit it off, so I let them start a romance and date. I did wait till I was playing the guy, a fortune sim, and he finally rolled a propose want, before I had him pop the question.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    Yes, the wants anyway. I don't even watch the fears, because those are things I normally don't let my sims do anyway.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Yep I do, though, only after THAT part of the day when you stop rolling hobby wants :D
  • TM3305TM3305 Posts: 46 Member
    If my Sim's aspiration meter is in the red then I'll fufill some easy wants, such as eating a certain food, not getting a kitten or a puppy.
  • TM3305TM3305 Posts: 46 Member
    @TM3305 said:
    > If my Sim's aspiration meter is in the red then I'll fufill some easy wants, such as eating a certain food, not getting a kitten or a puppy.

BTW, I don't let fears affect my game. Forgot to mention that in my original post
  • OzianOzian Posts: 33 Member
    Important actions take precedence, but otherwise I'll try to give them what they want.
  • rileyandjacobrileyandjacob Posts: 42 Member
    Yes, I always did. Unless I wanted to make their lives miserable. :smirk: