Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disaster!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I've been playing since 2012 and still no meteors falling on sims. I'm pretty darn sure if any sims got killed I would restart the session after taking pictures of the destruction. I do occasionally have one land somewhere in town when I have a sim looking through the telescope and they get the option to go find it.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @AlexaKry You should save the festival lot to the library, then you could just bulldoze and replace it if it got hit by a meteorite.
  • Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @IreneSwift : yes, I should have done that! But I didn´t think so far! :p I always hope that this will be my last desaster! Until another one comes... :D
  • Options
    silverwood02silverwood02 Posts: 73 Member
    I have never had a meteor either! Looks great though. Had them in simcity but never in any sims game.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2019
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    :s seems as if I´m the only one with regular meteor strikes! I´m so used to it, that every time "it gets dark" I pause, shortly think if should go on or not, teleport my Sims out of the way, reset the ones I would like to have in my game further on and look, how much § I get from it! The only situation when I just quit is, when my Sims are at the festival ground and a meteor strikes. It´s a nightmare to rebuild the lot again!
    And no, according to meteor strikes: no mod, no aliens in the family, no use of the telescope! I just think my game is a diva and likes to act like it! :D

What is your setup like that you get so many regular meteor strikes?

I only had a meteor strike once in Riverview. I got my active sim out of the way but let it play out. I didn't quit after that though because I didn't know the other sims that died - or rather my active sims didn't know them. I tend not to quit the game and restore to a save because I want to play out whatever happens. Besides, we all know that that there are ways to revive dead sims.

In my current playthrough, I've been getting the burglar "visiting" my house at night on a regular basis, lol!
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy : I don´t have any settings for it! I don´t have Retuner, so I can´t change settings! I just have overpopulated towns, perhaps Story Progression thinks it must do something against it?!? :D
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy : I don´t have any settings for it! I don´t have Retuner, so I can´t change settings! I just have overpopulated towns, perhaps Story Progression thinks it must do something against it?!? :D

Ah, okay! That might be key! I'll try overpopulating my towns then! Thanks!
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy : It´s just a guess!!!! I really don´t know the reason why I have so many strikes!

No worries! If it doesn't work for me, that's okay! :)

• Options
    @ClarionOfJoy : phew! Because I really don't want to be responsible for overpopulation! It's such a hard work to make the game run properly when too many Sims are in a world!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    @ClarionOfJoy : phew! Because I really don't want to be responsible for overpopulation! It's such a hard work to make the game run properly when too many Sims are in a world!
    I have to agree with that sentiment. Overpopulated worlds will not perform well generally and unless one takes many steps to keep them maintained, they will be more prone to game engine failure (lag) and Error 12s. I play with many of my worlds stuffed pretty full of residents, not to obscene levels but I just like crowded worlds and pushing the limits of what can be done, and I've never heard of massive disasters like meteor strikes being spawned because of that. Food shortages might be interesting, but Sims games don't really have a supply-demand based economy associated with them. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    How do you overpopulate a world? Usually I have the Story Progression mod fill up any empty homes except for maybe one or two homes. When I do it this way, it doesn't seem to be too hard on my computer. So I guess that's not overpopulation? Also when I save, it is always "Save As" to a new save folder. So far, I have never seen an Error 12, knock on wood.

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    There is no precise definition of what overpopulated means. This will vary by world and the player's system. The number of residential lots used up or left unoccupied is not usually relevant because we can add as many residential lots as we can squeeze in to worlds as we can find room for; some will have 0 or 1 sim living on them, some will have 8, or more if we have mods that allow for more.

But if a world ships with let's say 65 or 80 resident sims and we add in enough either through story progression immigration of any kind, manually, or by allowing birth rates to go wild while no one dies or leaves town so that it has let's say 500, that would be overpopulated. It would be tricky to say where exactly in between the scale begins to tip.

EA does define a world as full at 180 after which emigration/"culling" should begin to happen if one can count on EA's version of story progression and controls to actually work as they should. But that number is not residents-only and it might be different for different worlds. NRaas StoryProgression instead puts a soft cap of 150 residents (only counting residents) by default without the culling, it's not a hard limit, and is adjustable as the player wishes.

My most crowded world is currently Riverview with around 250 residents. It runs heavy for me, it does lag a bit here and there, overall it's fine (for me), but I wouldn't want its resident population to go much higher than that. In Bridgeport I have over 160 and feel like I could go much higher, but don't have nearly as much usable map space to work with. Or if I do, I haven't figured out where it all is yet and I don't really want to tear down the highrise shells and put in a tight grid of 10x10s or anything like that because then it just wouldn't feel like Bridgeport anymore.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Yes, it really depends on the world you play in, in some worlds (astonishingly Bridgeport belongs to them!) I can play with ~150 Sims on mostly highest options, in some I have to put down the options to the middle, but the town still plays very good and without problems with 200 Sims and then I have one town (Moonlight Falls, unfortunately the one I love and play the most) where I can't go over 140 Sims, with minimum options, awfully looking and stuttering like hell! My solution is moving the expendable Sims to other worlds. So I wouldn't recommend overpopulation at all!
  • Options
    Ah, okay! Thank you @igazor and @AlexaKry ! I'm in Barnacle Bay right now and I have:

Residents = 126
    Service Sims = 45
    Homeless = 0
    Tourists = 14

So it's the number of residents that determine whether it is overpopulated or not. I think I will give it try to overpopulate this world since there is so much space. Even if I don't get a meteor strike, I just want to see how many residents this world and my computer can handle.

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Yeah the worst one I had was meteor strike was at University. Death took the girl. But at least I had it backed up and didn't lose to many days.
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited March 2019
    I am fine with Disasters, it keeps the population in my sim world in check, I tend to over populate over 120 sims (thanks to Nrass Story Progression) and then my game begins to lag, thank god disasters happen; it helps and adds !!!FUN!!! into my sim world. :D

Yes... I wield a scythe... I thrive off of dead sims... I am the SIM REAPER... :D

Sorry for your loss though.

Edit: I had a meteor fall on a school and killed 20 sims, I was like holy plums! Sadly I don't get meteor disaster, but thanks to mods I was able to have em happen. :)
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here