Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    PreCiious wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    PreCiious wrote: »
    why didnt they do this when the sims4 was in the beginning?

I wouldnt mind having to buy a good PC to have

open neighbourhood without loading screens
    story Progression
    big Worlds (i am Looking at you de small valley)
    Create a Style

no they didnt and now they see their mistakes but its too late, because we cant even visit our neigbours without loading screens for ''performance'' reasons. We have a L.A inspired World without cars but it is small because of ''performance''.

I think creating a Game for low end PC was a mistake. I mean do you see the bugs? Simulation Lag is still a Thing...

Oh well...

That's Your perspective. I don't see it as a mistake to leave any of that out. There's not much I miss about sims 3. Don't miss open world. Don't miss CAS, Don't miss big worlds. And sure as heck don't miss their version of Sp which ruined how some of us rotational players play our games.

I'd prefer a whole lot of sim fixing that they ruined when going from 2 to 3. If they are going to do anything with eliminating support for 32 bit, I hope it's to do with the background sim AI and make it more like 2.

Don't need no open world. Don't need no SP, and don't need no CASt. The CAS in sims 4 is the best yet. And I don't need to recolour the furniture. There's lots of cc out there that fill my wants and needs. And so far, it all loads great compared to anything I ever did using CASt.

--

The list goes on and on ... and on
    How cool would it be to have all of this promises about ''smarter sims''. But no the majority of sims players have sims that always stand up while eating and they prefer the bed instead of tables. the majority of players have simulation lags with or without cc. It might load great for you but for the majority it doesn't. And it is kinda silly to have a loading screen to visit the neigbour next door on an appartement
    There is no memory system. This Sims have no personalities… ETC.

Why was the answer for the small valley ''Performance'' reasons Like really. I sure know it caused a plum, some players didnt even bought the EP because of that.
    A reason for why Windenburg is so popular? Its obviously...

I think a lot of the Problems have to do with the desicion that they made it available for low end PCs. . Its just a little frustrating, we could of have so much more, there are so many missed opportunities, and they are gone because of the support of potato PCs.

But you know i am not a tech, i dont know plum about computers and programming, i dont know whats going on behind the scenes so... yeahh, Maybe i am wrong about certain stuff, and it was not because of the support of low end PCs.

But hopefully the future will be bright with this Update, who knows though?!

@Writin_Reg
    Maybe they didnt know how long the sims will last, but honestly it feels kinda fishy to me, like money grabbing EA style. And its also wierd that they didnt think this long term.

But us getting a new pc does nothing for EA. Also We have known since Cats and Dogs were coming out that EA was raising the specs and going from 32 bit to 64 bit. They told us well before that ep came out. So it was not a big surprise that sooner or later the specs would be upgraded. DelSolValley proved the game needed the full 64 bits -

Also not a single Sims ad said anything about the game running on old or low grade computers. Simmers said that not EA.

Performance because they made the pack able to run on 32 bit instead of 64 bit like they should have - so size became an issue - only they apparently did not want to tell that as many of us with 64 bit - which is the majority of Simmers would have probably been angry when we had the pcs that would have not had a performance issue if they just eliminated 32 bit.

I do think they wanted to keep the 32 bit though for the players with it - but when Nvidia, and everyone else was dropping it including Mac/Apple well that leaves little choice. We have a lot of Simmers on Macs - so this made the issue a real issue. Also 32 bit cannot update video cards any more either - so that is another issue with Sims games. As Video cards need to be kept updated in this game a lot to eliminate issues.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I am not trying to be mean but it is time for you guys to get a new PC. I didn't think people were still on the 32 bit. Sheesh this might be part of the reason why we were given small worlds like Del Sol valley.

Not everyone can afford to get more than an more entry level gaming computer and not everyone can just suddenly make the money for a gaming computer appear.

Let's not blame them for EA's choices. Or make them feel bad for prioritizing necessities over luxuries. Or prioritizing what their kids want in terms of luxuries over what they the parent wants in terms of luxuries.

You shouldn't need a low-end gaming computer, you just need a low end PC of any kind as long as it's been bought in the last five or 10 Years it'll probably be fine even if it's not necessarily gaming. But yes I agree it is an expense. I feel bad for anyone that won't work for but I'm really glad that they are at least giving us to Legacy options so we can still play the game with all the packs we already have. I don't think my computer will be affected I suppose there's a possibility if the video card isn't as good two or something some people are saying. However I think it's a great game with the amount of packs it has so I guess if it is I will just play it as is, end use the money saved on new packs for something else hahaha! Or else maybe I will use it as an excuse to finally update my PC to a newer low-end one LOL!
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I am not trying to be mean but it is time for you guys to get a new PC. I didn't think people were still on the 32 bit. Sheesh this might be part of the reason why we were given small worlds like Del Sol valley.

Not everyone can afford to get more than an more entry level gaming computer and not everyone can just suddenly make the money for a gaming computer appear.

Let's not blame them for EA's choices. Or make them feel bad for prioritizing necessities over luxuries. Or prioritizing what their kids want in terms of luxuries over what they the parent wants in terms of luxuries.

You shouldn't need a low-end gaming computer, you just need a low end PC of any kind as long as it's been bought in the last five or 10 Years it'll probably be fine even if it's not necessarily gaming. But yes I agree it is an expense. I feel bad for anyone that won't work for but I'm really glad that they are at least giving us to Legacy options so we can still play the game with all the packs we already have. I don't think my computer will be affected I suppose there's a possibility if the video card isn't as good two or something some people are saying. However I think it's a great game with the amount of packs it has so I guess if it is I will just play it as is, end use the money saved on new packs for something else hahaha! Or else maybe I will use it as an excuse to finally update my PC to a newer low-end one LOL!

Low end computers have integrated graphics cards and those are not designed for gaming and will likely not be able to support the game at all or cut the life of the computer short by a factor of years. They don't have the RAM to support the OS and the game running at the same time. No one should recommend that a gamer, Simmers included, get anything but a low end gaming computer.

A low end gaming computer will have a dedicated graphics card and RAM enough to support both the game and the OS to some degree. Not at high specs mind you, but enough to run the game without risking taking years off of the life of a computer.

Especially if it's a laptop.

The Sims series starting with Sims 2 requires actual gaming computers to not have to replace a computer every 3 years or so.

No one should recommend playing a game as intensive as the Sims games are past Sims 1 on a computer that is not designed for gaming. It's one thing if the person is aware that by not saving up for a gaming computer that they're playing with fire and may be in the same boat in 2-3 years. Instead of saving up more money and getting a computer that will last 5+ years. But when just talking in general or to someone who isn't aware, that's not something you should do. And it's reckless to do so. Especially if that person who took your advice buys a laptop. An entry level laptop will not stand up for the game for very long. It's not designed for the heat that gaming generates. A simmer might luck out on a desktop and not cut too much time off of the life of the computer, but not on a laptop.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Low end computers have integrated graphics cards and those are not designed for gaming and will likely not be able to support the game at all or cut the life of the computer short by a factor of years. They don't have the RAM to support the OS and the game running at the same time. No one should recommend that a gamer, Simmers included, get anything but a low end gaming computer.

A low end gaming computer will have a dedicated graphics card and RAM enough to support both the game and the OS to some degree. Not at high specs mind you, but enough to run the game without risking taking years off of the life of a computer.

Especially if it's a laptop.

The Sims series starting with Sims 2 requires actual gaming computers to not have to replace a computer every 3 years or so.

No one should recommend playing a game as intensive as the Sims games are past Sims 1 on a computer that is not designed for gaming. It's one thing if the person is aware that by not saving up for a gaming computer that they're playing with fire and may be in the same boat in 2-3 years. Instead of saving up more money and getting a computer that will last 5+ years. But when just talking in general or to someone who isn't aware, that's not something you should do. And it's reckless to do so. Especially if that person who took your advice buys a laptop. An entry level laptop will not stand up for the game for very long. It's not designed for the heat that gaming generates. A simmer might luck out on a desktop and not cut too much time off of the life of the computer, but not on a laptop.

Ah.. Good to know... I've been playing on low-end laptops that are definitely not designed for gaming for years. I had no idea it could affect the lifespan of them and just figured that it meant that I would have to wait longer loading times or experience more lag in the game . With Sims it takes forever to load but the lag isn't too bad once I actually get into the game. Hopefully it won't affect the lifespan of my computer too much. I've never heard of such a thing so thanks! Well I can't afford another for now and I don't really want to quit Sims haha! So I'll have to hope for the best and maybe I'll just stick with the legendary version even if my computer will run the new one because it 64 bit. Hopefully I won't lose my save files though? Do you think they'll be able to be transferred?
  • Options
    AndyDanielAndyDaniel Posts: 67 Member
    Part of the fun is knowing there will always be something new and cool to give my sims in a few weeks or months. On a 32-bit machine, now all I can do is backfill with older packs that I haven't bought yet. Knowing I'll be left out of future packs takes some of the wind out of my sails for doing that. But I trust the game developers. There must not be enough 32-bit users to hold back the future of the game.
    8IomapKl.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    AndyDaniel wrote: »
    Part of the fun is knowing there will always be something new and cool to give my sims in a few weeks or months. On a 32-bit machine, now all I can do is backfill with older packs that I haven't bought yet. Knowing I'll be left out of future packs takes some of the wind out of my sails for doing that. But I trust the game developers. There must not be enough 32-bit users to hold back the future of the game.

Such a reasonable, respectful post. Hopefully you'll be able to update your system in the future and be able to continue purchasing packs.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Sims 4 should never have been 32 bit to begin with.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

My thought was along these lines as well. One of the key things they sold players on was running on lower end old computers, even though there were concerns for the future of the game. If I recall correctly there was talk amongst players about how the game should be 64 bit and how Sims 3 should've been 64 bit as well so to me it's not a 'how dare they make this 64 bit but why didn't they do this from the get go (amongst other things).

I think EA claiming that the game can also be played by low end computers as a selling point was not because that was their intention. When they salvaged the Olympus game engine (big mistake!), they saw how limited it was - it wasn't like the wrote an entirely fresh game engine intentionally to include lower-end computers.
    Continuously over the course of the game it's been like a parent warning their child to take a raincoat because it's likely going to rain and they ignore the warning only for it to rain and they end up soaked.

On the bright side, should The Sims 5 happen it'll start off 64 bit but even then it's EA so my hopes for it to be better just because aren't high. But to market the game to people with old, lower end computers then change it up in the middle, even though it's not exactly a choice they wanted to make isn't the greatest optics with their track record.

I wish they hadn't been trying to cater to low end computers in the beginning, even if there were simmers who would've wanted to play but couldn't on their systems. If they make a great game from the start I think players will flock to it, even if it means saving and penny pinching to be able to do so somewhere down the line. Instead of trying to get money from every possible avenue just make a quality game.

If they hadn't salvaged the Olympus game engine and just started fresh from scratch to build a robust, feature-rich game engine, none of this would be happening now. They'd be rolling in more money because those that didn't buy this version of TS4 would definitely buy the better one.

Also, trust in EAxis wouldn't have eroded. I know that I used to trust them wholeheartedly as I used to actually buy their The Sims iterations and their packs without even bothering to read reviews. And I was completely happy with each addition! I even liked the Katy Perry stuff pack and bought out nearly the entire Sims 3 store! But now?... I'm looking forward to TS5 if there is one, but I'm going to read up on all the features they'll promote, read up or watch the reviews and playing demos (especially LGR's). I might not even pre-order and just wait for real player feedback.

If EAxis does TS5 right like they did with TS1, TS2 and TS3, and make it jam-packed with gameplay (I'm a live game player, not a sim creator or builder so much) and make it feature-rich, they can be pretty sure that I'll throw all my money at them, but they NEED TO DO IT RIGHT! In that case, I'm buying a computer with much higher specs than they recommend as I know its future packs will increase the work the computer has to run them. That's what I'm actually doing now. I'm saving all the money I could have used buying TS4 and it's packs for TS5 and the computer for it.
  • Options
    xPIXLxxPIXLx Posts: 34 Member
    I know it's disheartening to those simmers, but I think it's a good idea. The sims needs to grow and in order to grow it's going to require more out of the computer itself. If we want to eventually see anything more realistic, or have more open worlds, we will have to have stronger computers. Just like consoles need to keep upgrading to keep up with the rising technology, computers need to as well. Unfortunately, PC gamers move at their own pace with PC upgrades, unlike console gamers who just purchase a whole new console.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    you need to consider also if players plan on moving to the sims5 the sims5 game requirements may require a higher end computer depending on the game requirements witch at the moment nothing is know of the sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    xPIXLx wrote: »
    I know it's disheartening to those simmers, but I think it's a good idea. The sims needs to grow and in order to grow it's going to require more out of the computer itself. If we want to eventually see anything more realistic, or have more open worlds, we will have to have stronger computers. Just like consoles need to keep upgrading to keep up with the rising technology, computers need to as well. Unfortunately, PC gamers move at their own pace with PC upgrades, unlike console gamers who just purchase a whole new console.

Yes, it is an good idea only if they use it to the max and the gaming engine allows it, I am am not getting my hopes up for more packs with robust features as for some it was dashed before. I rather wait and see what EA/Maxis does since going full 64 Bit before speculating. Sad for the folks stuck with the Legendary Sims 4 packs but for that EA/Maxis had to move on and sadly there will always be collective players that are collateral damage.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    you need to consider also if players plan on moving to the sims5 the sims5 game requirements may require a higher end computer depending on the game requirements witch at the moment nothing is know of the sims5

One thing for sure it will not require 32 bit but 64 Bit specs and they won't do what some other companies are now requiring such as I5 or I7 and the AMD equivalent and that includes GPUs. I do think there may be an very small amount of folks even if they have 64 bit systems may be affected depending on the minimum requirements and if they move move to an scaling system.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    64Bit machines have been around since 2007. I'm not sure why anyone would have purchased a 32 bit machine, like holding on to XP long after Windows 7 had been going for several years and now Windows 10. I'm not sure why EA allowed them to go back and grab old integrated graphics and very old Intel chips or Nvidia chips that were extremely old cards even when people were playing TS3. It's always made me wonder why TS4's requirements included very old cards, systems and chips even before TS3 was even produced.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    64Bit machines have been around since 2007. I'm not sure why anyone would have purchased a 32 bit machine, like holding on to XP long after Windows 7 had been going for several years and now Windows 10. I'm not sure why EA allowed them to go back and grab old integrated graphics and very old Intel chips or Nvidia chips that were extremely old cards even when people were playing TS3. It's always made me wonder why TS4's requirements included very old cards, systems and chips even before TS3 was even produced.

I agree however, some were looking to save money or just did not have the budget to buy an 64 bit. There are also that likes to cling to the old even though there is the new maybe out of fear or something and in time even those will upgrade or just give up computing and just move over to the genre of console if it is gaming.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I agree however, some were looking to save money or just did not have the budget to buy an 64 bit. There are also that likes to cling to the old even though there is the new maybe out of fear or something and in time even those will upgrade or just give up computing and just move over to the genre of console if it is gaming.

I understand about saving money, however, technology had left 32 bit behind way back in 2007. And some don't even know if their machines are 32 bit or 64 bit. I don't quite understand that. Edited to say, the lighting feature added to T4 was required a 64 bit machine, so, I would think most would have checked several years ago (when the lighting feature was patched in) if their machines were 32 or 64 bit.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019

Perhaps gaming is not the hobby those people should chose to engage in either. Personally Sims 3 wouldn't have had some of it's issues had they decided to upgrade that game to 64 bit - so actually this should have been in the works long before now - in my opinion. Sims 3's top error was a lack of memory error and not because most players lacked memory but the fact the game was 32 bit and could not utilize any memory over 3.5 gigs. During Sims 3 I know I ran at the very least 8 gigs of ram of which 5 gigs sat there useless to that game as it was 32 bit and just could not access all my ram. That proved this game should have been upgraded 7 years ago, and Sims 4 should have been 64 bit when it came out - in my opinion.

Also the video card companies have stopped supporting 32 bit already - so you cannot even upgrade your video cards and in the Sims keeping your STAND ALONE video cards up to date has always been important to this game. At the very least when Radeon and Nvidia announced they were dropping support for 32 bit - EA should have announced they were dropping support for 32 bit as well - not waited until it already happened.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited March 2019

I understand about saving money, however, technology had left 32 bit behind way back in 2007. And some don't even know if their machines are 32 bit or 64 bit. I don't quite understand that. Edited to say, the lighting feature added to T4 was required a 64 bit machine, so, I would think most would have checked several years ago (when the lighting feature was patched in) if their machines were 32 or 64 bit.

Some people back then were not tech savvy meaning some did not understand the difference between 32 bit and 32 bit back then and also had to depend on salesman or friends and thier level of experience. 32 bit had not left totally as it was forcasted that eventually 32 bit would be phased out in time and it's time has come and for now 64 bit is king until they start work on 128 bit (which is long ways off). evolution of an program or OS is never complete for it is ongoing thing. I am just glad I do not just play Sims or build my systems for just one game and I also future proof my systems as much as possible.There is an whole of range issues why people did not prepare for this transition and it is not only happening with Sims, it has already happened with other programs way before it happened to Sims. EA/Maxis just came late for the party and tried to hold on as long as possible as they could until Apple and MS made an 100% move to 64 bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Perhaps gaming is not the hobby those people should chose to engage in either. Personally Sims 3 wouldn't have had some of it's issues had they decided to upgrade that game to 64 bit - so actually this should have been in the works long before now - in my opinion. Sims 3's top error was a lack of memory error and not because most players lacked memory but the fact the game was 32 bit and could not utilize any memory over 3.5 gigs. During Sims 3 I know I ran at the very least 8 gigs of ram of which 5 gigs sat there useless to that game as it was 32 bit and just could not access all my ram. That proved this game should have been upgraded 7 years ago, and Sims 4 should have been 64 bit when it came out - in my opinion.

Also the video card companies have stopped supporting 32 bit already - so you cannot even upgrade your video cards and in the Sims keeping your STAND ALONE video cards up to date has always been important to this game. At the very least when Radeon and Nvidia announced they were dropping support for 32 bit - EA should have announced they were dropping support for 32 bit as well - not waited until it already happened.

It is all part of the evolution process as they are now eyeing 16 gbs of ram and video cards are now stocked with 8 or 11 and some with 16 Gb video ram. I agree EA/Maxis waited too long and should have done this way back and those that brought systems brought them as EA/Maxis had made it sound like 32 bit was safe and will be for awhile. I I paid attention to where other companies even MS was going and that is how I built or had mine prebuilt with more than the asking requirement. However with all I have I know there will be an time for me to upgrade again but not for an long while and when that time comes it will be my son that will take the reins as I will be retired and vacationing. :) It also depended on what games some played that may cause them to upgrade sooner as not everyone played Sims that includes me. Some productivity programs also made some upgrade.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2019
    The way things are developing some might get their ultimate nightmare of Sims 4 evolving into Sims 5. >:) So many changes since 2014 and no new iteration of Microsoft Windows to keep up with either.

The only other thing is that there might not be a Sims 5 equivalent coming and EA/Maxis are hanging on to this iteration for as long as possible.

I don't mind that either as I doubt whether I would buy a Sims 5. It's the end of the road for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    The way things are developing some might get their ultimate nightmare of Sims 4 evolving into Sims 5. >:) So many changes since 2014 and no new iteration of Microsoft Windows to keep up with either.

The only other thing is that there might not be a Sims 5 equivalent coming and EA/Maxis are hanging on to this iteration for as long as possible.

I don't mind that either as I doubt whether I would buy a Sims 5. It's the end of the road for me.

True, but I think some are going to be a little more cautious in making that move early as some did with Sims 4 and not just 64 bit just on how it is programmed. If Sims 5 does come about I know not to buy right away and just wait and see how things goes and what direction it will go in.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    This is great news for TS4 since 32 bit systems are what's dragging back the game.

If you have an old computer, don't expect to play new games.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    IF this change lets them fix a lot of the issues with the game, specifically simulation lag (sorry, that's my agenda, my game's just too broken to play), then I'm all for it. If it's done for no significant reason, then I don't understand why.
  • Options
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    This is great news for TS4 since 32 bit systems are what's dragging back the game.

Actually, it is not just 64 bits that one may have to worry about as there are other aspects of the developmental process that need to be considered. Imo just because Sims 4 is now going to be 64 bit totally it does not necessarily mean there will be robust features added for it is an wait and see and also have to think about the engine's gaming parameters. Now if EA/Maxis can do all this I would be very happy but right now going to 64 bit with no hinderence from 32 bit programming does not give me any peps as again I rather wait and see what they do going forward.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member

Actually, it is not just 64 bits that one may have to worry about as there are other aspects of the developmental process that need to be considered. Imo just because Sims 4 is now going to be 64 bit totally it does not necessarily mean there will be robust features added for it is an wait and see and also have to think about the engine's gaming parameters. Now if EA/Maxis can do all this I would be very happy but right now going to 64 bit with no hinderence from 32 bit programming does not give me any peps as again I rather wait and see what they do going forward.

Sure, but it's a step in the right direction and I'll take it.

• Options

Sure, but it's a step in the right direction and I'll take it.

Oh I agree it is an step in the right direction which should have been done an long time ago, but that is spilled milk now. But I am hoping they keep going in the right direction.