The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New PC Help

My last PC suddenly crashed so I have to start over with a new system until my old one is fixed. I got a cheapie from Dell so I know it isn't going to be great overall. I just want your thoughts on what I can install and run. I was used to having everything plus the store and CC.

Here are my new specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I also don't have a point of reference on settings and mods...also some other system settings that I used to get the game to run smooth. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    You should be able to run the entire game on that system on medium to high settings. I would suggest Reflections (Water and Mirrors) on one of the two lower settings and Detail Lots no higher than 2 in Game Options, but would suggest those for most any system.

You will need to use the Nivida Control Panel, and then Inspector if needed, to cap the frame rate on that graphics card. TS3 has no functional built-in fps limiter. The goal is to, when using the fps on cheat code in-game to see rates no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. Most are 60 Hz, so 60 fps, some can run higher. If you already know how to do this and have it all taken care of and verified, then of course disregard this paragraph.

I can't say owning the entire store and hundreds of GBs of CC are going to have no impact on load times and operations at all, no one could say that on any other system either, but you should be able to carry a moderate to heavy load of content on that one quite well.

Does any of this help or were you looking for more specific tips and tricks beyond these?
    http://www.nraas.net/community/TIPS-FOR-BETTER-GAME-PERFORMANCE
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Hi igazor!

Thanks so much for the help. I was just looking for a refresher on what was needed to get TS3 up and running. It's been a long time since I had to set it up.

As far as refresh rate goes, would using Razer Cortex be good? That is what I have been using in the past, but if there is something else that works better, I'm open to new ideas.

For reference, the world I use is a custom world that I built, it's a tiny world, with about 60 lots total. I did have about 300 sims in it, though. I used to have all settings at high except for trees and lighting, and the game ran smoothly for the most part. It would only stutter when loading CAST swatches. I didn't have many CC items, mostly having to do with child and below and mods to help the game run a bit better/logical.
  • silverwood02silverwood02 Posts: 73 Member
    I can say for certain you will need the niviida inspector, I have the 1050 card and the frame rate was over 300. Once installed and set in game it is now 60 -61.
    Keith
    edited March 2019
    I was not aware that Razer Cortex provides a means for fps capping, but that's only because I've never used it. If it does I am sure that's great too. But the important thing is not the method used to cap the fps so much, but the results which can be seen by various third party programs or again the fps on cheat code in-game. If the rates are locking in as one acutally plays and moves the game camera around, then one was successful no matter which method was used.

Arguably vertical sync with triple buffering can be "better" for performance than forced capping provided by other means alone, which is why we tend to suggest the Nvidia Control Panel plus Inspector first (or the AMD equivalents when relevant) but the differences can be awfully subtle and of course we are thankfully not trying to service a first person shooter game here or one that really requires split-millisecond accuracy on the part of the player. But just about anything is better than an actual fps rate wandering or spiking too high.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited March 2019
    One more question. I backed up my world/hood, lots, Sims, cc, store content, etc. Do I just put it back in/overwrite the folders? Will that work? I just remember how awful downloading the store content is and I don't want to go through that again.

And as I look through where to download my old cc, there are blocks or the sites closed down so no way to recover them that I can find.
    I would take a category by category approach to that. Obviously you don't need to replicate things like cache, thumbnail, and featured item files. Package based content, both that kind of CC and mods together with the Framework so that's the entire Mods folder should copy right over. So should sims3pack based CC, so that would be the dbc files in DCCache. There shouldn't be any need to use the Launcher to reinstall all of that.

Same goes for store content, that would be the ebc files in DCCache provided you are not switching platforms (like using Steam all of a sudden whereas it was Origin before) on the new install. This one is more prone to failure though and the need to redownload and reinstall can arise for some players.

If those forms of content can be replicated without needing to install it all over again, then so can InstalledWorlds.

Lots and households as viewed in the bins in Edit Town are Library files. Sim CAS templates as viewed in CAH/CAS are SavedSims. Those you should be able to copy right over with no fuss.

DCBackup is only important if you intend to share sims and lots that have CC attached to them. But if you are successful in not needing to reinstall your premium store content, then you need your prior version of ccmerged.package that lives in this folder (for many of us it's the only thing that we allow to stay in there). If you do end up having to reinstall your store content, then you can dump this one file and let a new one rebuild as you install your premium items again.

Finally when everything is copied over and confirmed to be loading, you should be able to copy over any existing ongoing Saves you are interested in continuing to play.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!