Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you prefer your sims to live?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Depends on their story... background when I set them up. They can be homeless and poor to rich from the beginning. Usually I'm fine playing with their starting funds though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    LadyDecafLadyDecaf Posts: 89 Member
    It's usually far more enjoyable for me to make my sim work for what they have than to give it to them. Although I do have sims that are financially well off from the get go because it just fits the character I have in mind.
    Part of the fun of playing him is the antics he gets up to, his relationships/family and his interactions. I suppose his struggles are more philosophical and about morals, good vs evil, relationships etc. than wealth.

This. A number of my sims to have to grapple with moral dilemmas and reckon with the consequences.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Probably 99% of my Sims start out Rags to Riches style, unless it's a challenge I'm playing where it's not possible to start out with nothing. I absolutely adore playing this way. Once they've earned enough for a house, I get immersed in building and designing it. Even if it's just a shack. Building/decorating was what drew me to the Sims from the beginning.

As time goes by and their finances snowball into a large sum, I'll modify their house again, once or twice, sometimes more. When they reach the Fabulously Wealthy aspiration goal, that's usually when I start getting antsy and start looking around for another challenge or idea to play either with them (if possible) or another new Sim.

If the Sim I started out Rags to Riches was intended for a challenge, for instance BOTU, Not So Berry, etc., I'll keep playing them because acquiring massive wealth isn't the end goal. I've completed and am still playing many, many challenges this way, it's fun!

The only time I've ever built a massive house for my Sims with cheated in simoleons was for the Time Lord Challenge because it was allowed. I built a gigantic underground/hidden Tardis with all the bells and whistles for my Time Lady, First Artist. I loved doing that, so much fun! And when she regenerated to Second Artist, Third Artist, etc., I redecorated the Tardis each time for her regenerated persona's style.

Sadly, I had to give up on that save file a long time ago though because I was using a toaster of a laptop at the time and it couldn't handle such a large build on a 64 x 64 lot. It wasn't fun trying to play with all the lag, glitches and my only crashes I've ever had in the game. I'm guessing it would be fine now with my new gaming desktop. I just haven't put that save file back in my game yet to check it out.

There's so much I haven't done yet in TS4 that I want/need to explore, that I get sidetracked and keep starting new save files to do it. It's a bit overwhelming at times, but I sure am having fun trying! :)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    It all depends on the family I'm playing. For instance, my Cantrell family is very rich, but they don't flaunt their wealth. Rather, the parents make sure the family does volunteer work. The children don't get to slough off on their homework, in fact, they're expected to do their very best in all things.

On the other side, when I play my ancestral save, the two sets of 7th great-grandparents were considered well-to-do in their time frame, 18th century colonial America. The eldest child from these households got married (very young) and struggled. My sixth great-grandfather owned 57,000 acres of land in what's now Tennessee, yet he died relatively poor. For moments in time, he did okay, but mostly he was, as he put it "under the waves" with his finances. So, my manner of play reflects this.

Both ways of playing can be fun, it's all in what you put into it. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    For me, it's the dream dollhouse I wanted as a kid. Not that we were poor, but we didn't get everything we wanted. I'd get a few new things for my dollhouse at Christmas and birthdays, or save my pocket money. Every once in a while, I'll play a struggling family, but my main legacy family is loaded. (Not intentionally - they just keep making more money than they spend.)

I'm more interested in completing aspirations, getting to the top of a career, raising toddlers and kids and collecting things. I probably would not have stuck with The Sims if it hadn't had a money cheat. That's why the franchise has been so enduring - different players can make their own challenges.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SikukeSikuke Posts: 96 Member
    I have hardly ever played rich sims. I've never reached the top of a career. I always have things to reach for and it keeps it interesting.

One of my Strangerville households just won the lottery and now they have all that money I don't know what to do with them lol.

I have won lottery almost every time, when this event took a place.(Why not irl haha?!) Now I will never buy it again, because it is a moment, when I feel my ideas get ruined as I become too rich. I know I could use cheats to take it away, but I'm like meh..Perhaps touching cheats seems too "dirty" to me :D:D .. I like to earn money from careers, but less with writing, painting, collecting-selling(Depends on the household), because I think you earn too much money too fast. With careers for me personally it seems more stable.

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited March 2019
    Since I play on rotation, I like to have a mixture of everything in my game. It also makes my towns feel more unique and alive. And if I get bored at a specific moment of playing with a rich household for example, I just jump to the world menu and select another one of my families.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    I play families with varying wealth levels. Some are rich, some middle class, and some are poor and live in fixer upper apartments or trailers. Some I don’t want to reach the top of their careers, so I don’t allow them to be promoted after a certain level. It just depends on their stories.

When I started playing TS4, I only created middle class households. Then I decided that I also wanted rich families in my game and used palaces and mansions from the gallery for my rich families. But now I’m excited about playing families with very little money. I placed a trailer park on one of my lots in Del Sol Valley with three young adult families. Some will advance in their careers and leave the trailer park. Others will remain. I also have a family that will start out living in a tent in Brindleton Bay and eventually buy a trailer to put on their lot. But they will always live in that trailer.

So I have different ideas for different families. I also play rotationally because I get bored playing the same family for too long, regardless of how wealthy or poor they are.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    depends on the family, some of them start poor and build up to more to remain I guess middle class, some scrape their whole lives even across generations. Then there are some that start rich or that I might cheat as inheritance unless they come from families that earned more money to begin with. A mix is nice.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited March 2019
    My Sims start at low (starting funds) or no (Zero on empty lot) money. Many stay on the low end for their lifetime and never make it to mansion baron status. Tents are livable year round until a toddler enters a picture. (Seasons effect on Sims are turned OFF. Still have weather but no death from weather changes.) Even then their dwellings are small and only contain essential items. That keep the bills low and allows them to exist on minimal income.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I like the struggle and usually when my family gets rich I make them lose it through some scandal, divorce or disaster.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I think it depends on the story I'm telling. I'm doing the legacy challenge by Pinstar and I've had the best time starting with $0 and a lot and growing my Sims legacy. I'm in Gen 6 about to head into Gen 7 and my Sims have $5 million dollars. I am playing with Scoring on too, so I don't mind my Sims having that kind of money.

I often find that this game isn't challenging enough for my liking, so I do like my Sims to start off poor & work their way up. But I have another Save where I gave my Sim money to start off with as it fit her backstory. It honestly just depends on the Sim, their backstory and my mood lol.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I usually star with a single young adult and move them into a starter home, so they have a few k simoleans. I don't usually cheat until they need to move to a bigger home because they have children, for example, then I will use the free real estate cheat. Essentially, they just keep whatever they have saved up.

I find it frustrating to be constantly broke in the game, as in RL. I've watched a lot of let's plays where the youtuber spends all the households money, then can't pay the bills. This never happens when I play, my sims always have money on hand.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    Rachie_rabbitRachie_rabbit Posts: 26 Member
    I like my sims to build themselves up first! whenever they move into a house- I always start with the bathroom,kitchen and bed. I then just build as I go :) when the kids turn into a young adult, I do the same thing!
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I like struggling sims. I used to like them poor, but I realized that being rich helped me express their personality with the house I built around them and allowed a lot of creativity. So, now, as long as they are true to their story and interesting, anything goes! I still avoid cheat though.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like my Sims to be rich so that they can live in maximum comfort plus, it gives me an excuse to put a sauna in the house.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    When they get rich I generally get bored and move on.Thing is in ts4 it's hard NOT to get rich.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    BrocNoodleBrocNoodle Posts: 28 Member
    It all depends on the Sim I'm playing and the story I want for them. Some I want to start off right away and work their way out. However, I've made Sims of my friends and they are always rich. LOL
  • Options
    TropicanaCatTropicanaCat Posts: 93 Member
    Depends, I generally like my Sims to struggle and work towards the nicer furnishings and bigger house. Other times, I just want my Sims to start out in a nice cushy life.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    I usually played my sims and when they got loads of money I would get bored and start a new family. I missed the family though so I decided I’m going to shake things up. I usually have every generation work and get a good career with good pay, so instead I’ll have one generation that basically acts all spoiled and lives off their past generations money 😂😂 or a generation that donate a lot of charities.