Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    Mods I think you could try JoAnne,

SimstopicsALLWalkstylesDisabled You can still choose a CAS default walk for them

Shimrod's Happy Buffs Changed To Fine.

This one too, http://modthesims.info/d/594573/have-some-personality-please.html It disables the idle chat.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I don’t think he was? The credits Here don’t mention Rod Humble at all. At best he is credited for having worked on Sim Cities Societies.

General manager at the time was Lucy Bradshaw.

I swear some people here work for EA and/or own stock in it. I wish there was an ignore button so I can filter them out. I don't believe anything they post anymore.

I looked him up too and there's no mention of him working on SimCity or on TS4. He's only credited for TS2 and TS3 - the best and most profitable iterations of the series.

He is also the reason TS3 has many rpg elements. And some of his green lighting some things about TS3 is not liked by TS2 players at all. If he should work on a life simulator for that other company (as lead) I'm pretty sure being a sandbox, open-ended, life simulator player I'm not going to to like his vision. No hope there in my opinion. ETA: He took over at Maxis after Bell during the end production of Seasons. I'm not a fan at all of Free Time's buff system.

The creator of The Sims, Will Wright, is the reason for RPG elements since 2000. In fact, most if not all video games have at least some kind of RPG elements. What does the definitions of role-play even mean and does it in part describe some major gameplay mechanics concerning TS/TS2/TS3/TS4?
    https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/02/no-violence-necessary-the-case-for-the-sims-as-a-role-playing-g/

Honestly, I don't care what anyone says about Rod Humble, I think he did an amazing job with TS3 because he kept it familiar but at the same time new alongside the team. Which is exactly what I expect from any franchise such as Pokémon, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, Overcooked, Tomb Raider, etc. I have enough video gaming experience to know how game franchises should work and why it is successful because apparently that is what most gamers look forward to. Not to mention, the sales and feedback will show proof of that.

TS3-World-Adventures-Reception.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_3:_World_Adventures

TS3 team-The Sims Studio knew how to make a decent game and from the video I really like all of their perspectives on the game and its fans. My main complaint is that for me open shopping was also a part of what made TS and TS2 even more unique and they pretty much ditched that. With the open world that would have made the game even better than it already was to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBDBy5Km7EE
    Shoutout to the three women on Will Wright's team who said The Sims should be about people instead of architecture. And thus the people simulator was born. :mrgreen: Then came TS2 and TS3. :smiley:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    I like some RPG elements in sims 3.Ot still feel like a sandbox. Just with a few sidequests .
  • SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    I like some RPG elements in sims 3.Ot still feel like a sandbox. Just with a few sidequests .

They don't feel forced or in-your-face either, which I also prefer. I remember when I first got told to "go to the park to give out vaccines" or some other job-related quest-thing and I thought your sim had to do it, and I didn't care for that. Then one day I was too focused with that sim doing something else and said screw it and didn't even try to go do what it was telling me, and lo and behold, I don't even think it decreased their job performance! And if it did, it was by so little that it didn't matter anyway! If there is going to be "quests" in a sandbox game, I prefer them like that: if I choose to do it I get rewarded but if I choose not to do it I'm barely punished, if at all.
    The world is quiet here
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    SeloBee wrote: »

They don't feel forced or in-your-face either, which I also prefer. I remember when I first got told to "go to the park to give out vaccines" or some other job-related quest-thing and I thought your sim had to do it, and I didn't care for that. Then one day I was too focused with that sim doing something else and said screw it and didn't even try to go do what it was telling me, and lo and behold, I don't even think it decreased their job performance! And if it did, it was by so little that it didn't matter anyway! If there is going to be "quests" in a sandbox game, I prefer them like that: if I choose to do it I get rewarded but if I choose not to do it I'm barely punished, if at all.

Exactly, I barely followed the quests and just treated it like an vacation, I loved China and if I am not mistaken there were hotels in China, never played France. I really can't say the same for Sims 4 version even though it was not too bad but for me it just lacks that extra oomph or whatever it is called.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    This thread is not exactly a comparison of TS4 to the other games but where TS4 players say it's only been four years, TS2 had ended by this point and one last SP released in Nov. TS3 news was everywhere since it was supposed to, IIRC, be released in Feb. the following year. (But delayed).

By this time TS2 had several main worlds, unlimited subhoods, vacant templates(not the same as an empty template without townies) to build your own custom hoods, and unlimited townie populations. (As long as your pc could handle it). And Aliens, Abductions and Male Pregnancy.

University came with a new world, Sims could travel back and forth to any world (YAs) anytime.
    New Careers and New Aspirations, new wants and wishes. Instruments to perform in bands. Part time jobs. A new life state, new aspiration rewards in every EP.

Open For Business came with crafting tables that not only your Sims could build things and use them (Not decor) and they actually worked, but so could their employees. Not just standing around or sitting around getting paid for nothing. OFB brought Unlimited Subhoods to add theirs or yours. New Aspirations, wants/wishes. Roam freely among as many subhoods as you like.

Nightlife came with vampires, restaurants, automobiles and limos< (base for sneak out and honeymoon). A new world, and Unlimited Downtown custom worlds, you fill up yourself. New Careers, Aspirations, wants and wishes. Chemistry system. Turns offs and ons.

New objects such as Karaoke and hot tubs. Live downtown or in your own subhoods, travel freely.

Pets, pet trainers and pet jobs. Small animals. Adopt a stray or give away a pet to be adopted next. Pets stores. Run a pet store. New life state.

Seasons, a new world. Gardening, actual working green house roofs, and walls, fruit trees, new perks for juicing. A new life state.

Bon Voyage, Three new worlds, and unlimited build/add your own vacation worlds. Swimming in oceans, (but we could swim in our own lakes since base game by using terrian tools). Tanning, sunburns, spas, new aspirations, wants, fears, wishes, new rewards, new careers.

FreeTime, New world, New Careers, New Aspirations, New wants, and fears, New hobbies, new hidden lots for hobby cliques. New Aspirations (2nd system with more perks and points.)

Apartment Life, Apartments, build your own. Mix and match condos with duplexes whatever, build it your way. New World. etc. etc.

This doesn't reflect all the interactions added, objects or clothes, townies, NPCs, life states, new clocks that actually kept time with the game clock, or all the gameplay.

What some consider has been a short time for TS4, I consider has been long enough, and if four years is a short time then look at TS2 and what all it had in just four short years. TS4 can't even be compared since it's still so tiny a game.

My two cents, let's end it now, and get on with TS5 or whatever it is Maxis is working on.

ETA: And we had bodyshop and Home Crafter (thanks Maxis!) from day one. Does anyone think TS4 will ever catch up? I don't.

No lounging chairs. When is the last time we saw four or five new Aspirations and new rewards in an EP? (TS2 or TS3). Everyone says TS4 reminds them of TS2 and not TS3, yes, TS3 is an even bigger game, but considering what TS4 still doesn't have after four loooong years, TS2 looks like a monster of a game (and I didn't even scratch the surface) in it's four short years.

Sims 4 does not remind me of Sims 2 at all and I wish more content was added in when they put out the different packs. In every other past release including the different packs from previous releases I never once felt the need to have mods and CC to enrich gameplay. Sims 4 is the first time I have felt the need to use mods and CC. There was always something for our sims to do and enough content to not get bored with how our sims looked in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Here is to Sims 5 getting back to everything we love about the Sims franchise.

Sims 4 packs are like going to a fish fry paying 50 dollars getting barely a toddler's bite size of fish, a burnt tiny fry, a baby spoonful of coleslaw and tepid water. You would never do that. I wouldn't even for a charity and I would give the charity the 50 bucks instead. While Sims 2 and Sims 3 packs were like going to a buffet and paying 20 bucks including endless refills on non-alcoholic drinks.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
    drakharis wrote: »
    This thread is not exactly a comparison of TS4 to the other games but where TS4 players say it's only been four years, TS2 had ended by this point and one last SP released in Nov. TS3 news was everywhere since it was supposed to, IIRC, be released in Feb. the following year. (But delayed).

By this time TS2 had several main worlds, unlimited subhoods, vacant templates(not the same as an empty template without townies) to build your own custom hoods, and unlimited townie populations. (As long as your pc could handle it). And Aliens, Abductions and Male Pregnancy.

University came with a new world, Sims could travel back and forth to any world (YAs) anytime.
    New Careers and New Aspirations, new wants and wishes. Instruments to perform in bands. Part time jobs. A new life state, new aspiration rewards in every EP.

Open For Business came with crafting tables that not only your Sims could build things and use them (Not decor) and they actually worked, but so could their employees. Not just standing around or sitting around getting paid for nothing. OFB brought Unlimited Subhoods to add theirs or yours. New Aspirations, wants/wishes. Roam freely among as many subhoods as you like.

Nightlife came with vampires, restaurants, automobiles and limos< (base for sneak out and honeymoon). A new world, and Unlimited Downtown custom worlds, you fill up yourself. New Careers, Aspirations, wants and wishes. Chemistry system. Turns offs and ons.

New objects such as Karaoke and hot tubs. Live downtown or in your own subhoods, travel freely.

Pets, pet trainers and pet jobs. Small animals. Adopt a stray or give away a pet to be adopted next. Pets stores. Run a pet store. New life state.

Seasons, a new world. Gardening, actual working green house roofs, and walls, fruit trees, new perks for juicing. A new life state.

Bon Voyage, Three new worlds, and unlimited build/add your own vacation worlds. Swimming in oceans, (but we could swim in our own lakes since base game by using terrian tools). Tanning, sunburns, spas, new aspirations, wants, fears, wishes, new rewards, new careers.

FreeTime, New world, New Careers, New Aspirations, New wants, and fears, New hobbies, new hidden lots for hobby cliques. New Aspirations (2nd system with more perks and points.)

Apartment Life, Apartments, build your own. Mix and match condos with duplexes whatever, build it your way. New World. etc. etc.

This doesn't reflect all the interactions added, objects or clothes, townies, NPCs, life states, new clocks that actually kept time with the game clock, or all the gameplay.

What some consider has been a short time for TS4, I consider has been long enough, and if four years is a short time then look at TS2 and what all it had in just four short years. TS4 can't even be compared since it's still so tiny a game.

My two cents, let's end it now, and get on with TS5 or whatever it is Maxis is working on.

ETA: And we had bodyshop and Home Crafter (thanks Maxis!) from day one. Does anyone think TS4 will ever catch up? I don't.

No lounging chairs. When is the last time we saw four or five new Aspirations and new rewards in an EP? (TS2 or TS3). Everyone says TS4 reminds them of TS2 and not TS3, yes, TS3 is an even bigger game, but considering what TS4 still doesn't have after four loooong years, TS2 looks like a monster of a game (and I didn't even scratch the surface) in it's four short years.

Sims 4 does not remind me of Sims 2 at all and I wish more content was added in when they put out the different packs. In every other past release including the different packs from previous releases I never once felt the need to have mods and CC to enrich gameplay. Sims 4 is the first time I have felt the need to use mods and CC. There was always something for our sims to do and enough content to not get bored with how our sims looked in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Here is to Sims 5 getting back to everything we love about the Sims franchise.

Sims 4 packs are like going to a fish fry paying 50 dollars getting barely a toddler's bite size of fish, a burnt tiny fry, a baby spoonful of coleslaw and tepid water. You would never do that. I wouldn't even for a charity and I would give the charity the 50 bucks instead. While Sims 2 and Sims 3 packs were like going to a buffet and paying 20 bucks including endless refills on non-alcoholic drinks.

I have to agree Sims 4 for me is not even close to being like Sims 2 for me, EA/Maxis can try to put the quirkness back in but it will take an lot more than that.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2019
    Deshong04 wrote: »

I don’t think he was? The credits Here don’t mention Rod Humble at all. At best he is credited for having worked on Sim Cities Societies.

General manager at the time was Lucy Bradshaw.

I swear some people here work for EA and/or own stock in it. I wish there was an ignore button so I can filter them out. I don't believe anything they post anymore.

I looked him up too and there's no mention of him working on SimCity or on TS4. He's only credited for TS2 and TS3 - the best and most profitable iterations of the series.

He is also the reason TS3 has many rpg elements. And some of his green lighting some things about TS3 is not liked by TS2 players at all. If he should work on a life simulator for that other company (as lead) I'm pretty sure being a sandbox, open-ended, life simulator player I'm not going to to like his vision. No hope there in my opinion. ETA: He took over at Maxis after Bell during the end production of Seasons. I'm not a fan at all of Free Time's buff system.

The creator of The Sims, Will Wright, is the reason for RPG elements since 2000. In fact, most if not all video games have at least some kind of RPG elements. What does the definitions of role-play even mean and does it in part describe some major gameplay mechanics concerning TS/TS2/TS3/TS4?
    https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/02/no-violence-necessary-the-case-for-the-sims-as-a-role-playing-g/

Honestly, I don't care what anyone says about Rod Humble, I think he did an amazing job with TS3 because he kept it familiar but at the same time new alongside the team. Which is exactly what I expect from any franchise such as Pokémon, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, Overcooked, Tomb Raider, etc. I have enough video gaming experience to know how game franchises should work and why it is successful because apparently that is what most gamers look forward to. Not to mention, the sales and feedback will show proof of that.

TS3-World-Adventures-Reception.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_3:_World_Adventures

TS3 team-The Sims Studio knew how to make a decent game and from the video I really like all of their perspectives on the game and its fans. My main complaint is that for me open shopping was also a part of what made TS and TS2 even more unique and they pretty much ditched that. With the open world that would have made the game even better than it already was to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBDBy5Km7EE
    Shoutout to the three women on Will Wright's team who said The Sims should be about people instead of architecture. And thus the people simulator was born. :mrgreen: Then came TS2 and TS3. :smiley:

Perhaps RPG elements is the wrong term. No one has to defend TS3 it out sold all the games and the store( though many thought was a cash grab, and expensive) can be compared to microtransactions but only because of it being DLC (not tangeable) but not needed like RPG games require a new weapon or whatever that, sometimes, can only be purchased instead of unlocked. So, yes, it's not like RPGs in that respect. However, moodlet systems and buff systems (not seen in TS1 or TS2) are what many refer to as rpg elements. Opportunites were a part of that sort of type of game. Then look at the story progression, at first there was no toggle to turn that off or iirc no toggle to ignore opportunities. Then there were the FX animations when a Sim does something and we see and hear the music etc. Again, that is in line with other type games and not The Sims. Lots of FX over a Sim's head, etc. Not seen in TS1 or TS2. Then there were the goals for the player. That is foreign to The Sims, since it was a game about Sims and life, not what badge the player good gain or win for repeating to redundancy something in the game. Those are rpg elements or goal driven games may be a better term. Then there were the rabbit hole careers, not a problem since Sims go off world in the other games however, tasks added at home for Sims to do, (not like sandbox where you do it on your own or whatever) but required for the Sim that is also, more of a goal driven type element added to sandbox. And many other examples like in Ambitions where some careers were very goal driven, offered no sandbox play to open careers in some of the jobs, and very, very linear. Even to the point in the interior decorator career once you take the job the Sim can't interact with the other Sim like chat, joke, etc. That is very restrictive and more of a rpg element than even the rabbit hole careers. I'm stating it took a left turn away from what sandbox was in TS1 or TS2 than ever before, and moodlets and buff systems are part of rpg games in many regards. But Not saying TS3 didn't do well, it did very well, it beat them all, however, it's not something I would want them to repeat with the buffs and moodlets and all those other player goals and or linear play. ETA: Probably my biggest dislike was places were closed or Sims wouldn't show up if it was late at night, that spoke to me that is was no longer as much sandbox as the past where if I build something they show up any time I felt like visiting a lot, those things are more in line with a very controlled game and all that was Rod Humble's vision of how people should play the game, since he said no more Sims and their silly toys.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    We need as many years as it'll take them to make some updated babies.
    tenor.gif
  • LGBTincLGBTinc Posts: 41 Member
    tenor.gif

Don’t get me started on the babies.

P.S. if you have signatures disabled, you’re missing out.
    sims-baby.jpg
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    LGBTinc wrote: »
    tenor.gif

THAT is creepy. lol. I haven't had any bugs with babies, so I've either been lucky or it's related to something I don't have.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • LGBTincLGBTinc Posts: 41 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    tenor.gif

THAT is creepy. lol. I haven't had any bugs with babies, so I've either been lucky or it's related to something I don't have.

Haha, EA fixed it a while back.
    sims-baby.jpg
    tenor.gif

Haha, EA fixed it a while back.

That explains it then. I've only really been playing maybe three weeks now. There were similar bugs in Sims 3, that I did experience once. There is just something monumentally creepy about having your child stretch and walk around like slenderman. The only weird thing I've had happen with 4 is that sometimes a parent will be by the bassinett, disappear, then pop back up beside it again.
    edited March 2019
    RPG Elements Designs: Moodlets and Buff systems.
    Designated Lots
    Businesses closing at particular times, or no Sims at Library at particular times...all outside control of player.
    Linear Play, Scripted Play no matter what it is. Go here to treat this patient or go here to discover a clue.
    Challenges held to 'win' a reward
    FX animations when a Sim succeeds at something.
    Automatic Promotions (no choices for the player's Sim to decline a promotion)
    Tasks that only are acknowldeged when the game requires it, the player must complete at the correct time or it doesn't count.
    No choices in what to use to gain a skill but told what to use.
    Reserved when I have more time.
    A few more:
    No control over weather choices in all worlds. Sandbox should be sandbox.
    No cheats to open locked clothes, or rewards or whatever,...because it would be cheating? :s
    Uneditable lots.
    Lot designated objects.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Designated Lots
    Businesses closing at particular times, or no Sims at Library at particular times...all outside control of player.
    Linear Play, Scripted Play no matter what it is. Go here to treat this patient or go here to discover a clue.
    Tasks that only are acknowldeged when the game requires it, the player must complete at the correct time or it doesn't count.
    A few more:
    No cheats to open locked clothes, or rewards or whatever,...because it would be cheating? :s
    Uneditable lots.
    Lot designated objects.

I'm with you on every bit of this. I'm not into RPGs. I didn't mind when I played Sims games on a console, but when I moved to PC with Sims 2, it was the total sandbox aspect that I fell in love with. I don't mind having some things I *can* meet to get rewards, that's always been there. But I don't like that I *have* to just to be able to play. The locked stuff in the catalogue (particularly the challenge items that I can't even unlock without cheating because I missed the challenges by a few years) really annoy me.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited March 2019
    Hey folks, glad to see the thread got back on topic fast but let's cool it in future with backseat moderating, if you think someone's post needs moderating flag it and the mod team will review it. Calling it out only serves to derail the thread. I've removed a couple of posts in here that were a bit personal derailing the thread. That being said please carry on :smile:
    Designated Lots
    A few more:
    Uneditable lots.
    Lot designated objects.

I'm with you on every bit of this. I'm not into RPGs. I didn't mind when I played Sims games on a console, but when I moved to PC with Sims 2, it was the total sandbox aspect that I fell in love with. I don't mind having some things I *can* meet to get rewards, that's always been there. But I don't like that I *have* to just to be able to play. The locked stuff in the catalogue (particularly the challenge items that I can't even unlock without cheating because I missed the challenges by a few years) really annoy me.

It's been a very long ten years hasn't it? Waiting on something amazing. I'm about tired of waiting. Actually, I am tired of waiting past TS3 and TS4. Liked a lot in both of them but my glory days are long gone. The games have changed and what people want in the series has changed, so yes, TS2 ended the amazing as far as I am concerned.
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    NO, all the packs slow down the computer. The game isn't that good to me. I had less glitches with 3 and 2.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited March 2019
    After trying to get into ts4 so many, many, maaaany times since 2014, literally the only thing positive that I have to say is a big, big effing thank you for allowing people to create transgender sims. That's a big, big deal for so many people and a positive direction for the game... that gets a big approving smooch from me for that and is the one thing that I truly hope is carried forward to the next iteration.

As for the rest of ts4... I respectfully decline do comment because I feel my neck vein pulsating, which may or may not be ts4 content related.
    Post edited by Bagoas77 on
    vcosley wrote: »
    NO, all the packs slow down the computer. The game isn't that good to me. I had less glitches with 3 and 2.

It all depends on the system that is used as all systems are not equal especially in this day and time meaning that the processes used back in Sims 3 developmental phase was much different than what is used today and some even back then had not experienced lag such as myself unless it was an error on the developer part. I am tired of living in the past and using features that are just safe and does not utilize what my systems process. An gimped program for me is an weak program sadly.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

It all depends on the system that is used as all systems are not equal especially in this day and time meaning that the processes used back in Sims 3 developmental phase was much different than what is used today and some even back then had not experienced lag such as myself unless it was an error on the developer part. I am tired of living in the past and using features that are just safe and does not utilize what my systems process. An gimped program for me is an weak program sadly.

It's also important that the program would use your hardware efficiently. The Sims 4 is not great at utilizing anything and is a lot more buggy than previous iterations for me too.
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

It's also important that the program would use your hardware efficiently. The Sims 4 is not great at utilizing anything and is a lot more buggy than previous iterations for me too.

Yep that too. :)
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Perhaps RPG elements is the wrong term. No one has to defend TS3 it out sold all the games and the store( though many thought was a cash grab, and expensive) can be compared to microtransactions but only because of it being DLC (not tangeable) but not needed like RPG games require a new weapon or whatever that, sometimes, can only be purchased instead of unlocked. So, yes, it's not like RPGs in that respect. However, moodlet systems and buff systems (not seen in TS1 or TS2) are what many refer to as rpg elements. Opportunites were a part of that sort of type of game. Then look at the story progression, at first there was no toggle to turn that off or iirc no toggle to ignore opportunities. Then there were the FX animations when a Sim does something and we see and hear the music etc.

Again, that is in line with other type games and not The Sims. Lots of FX over a Sim's head, etc. Not seen in TS1 or TS2. Then there were the goals for the player. That is foreign to The Sims, since it was a game about Sims and life, not what badge the player good gain or win for repeating to redundancy something in the game. Those are rpg elements or goal driven games may be a better term. Then there were the rabbit hole careers, not a problem since Sims go off world in the other games however, tasks added at home for Sims to do, (not like sandbox where you do it on your own or whatever) but required for the Sim that is also, more of a goal driven type element added to sandbox. And many other examples like in Ambitions where some careers were very goal driven, offered no sandbox play to open careers in some of the jobs, and very, very linear. Even to the point in the interior decorator career once you take the job the Sim can't interact with the other Sim like chat, joke, etc. That is very restrictive and more of a rpg element than even the rabbit hole careers.

I'm stating it took a left turn away from what sandbox was in TS1 or TS2 than ever before, and moodlets and buff systems are part of rpg games in many regards. But Not saying TS3 didn't do well, it did very well, it beat them all, however, it's not something I would want them to repeat with the buffs and moodlets and all those other player goals and or linear play. ETA: Probably my biggest dislike was places were closed or Sims wouldn't show up if it was late at night, that spoke to me that is was no longer as much sandbox as the past where if I build something they show up any time I felt like visiting a lot, those things are more in line with a very controlled game and all that was Rod Humble's vision of how people should play the game, since he said no more Sims and their silly toys.

A game series needs to be kept familiar but at the same time expand into new gameplay and gameplay mechanics for the sake of keeping the game fresh to prevent boredom and predictability. Or else, doing the same old, same old is going to get stale rather quickly. Been there, done that...what's new? Moodlets are a nice feature though does need improvement which is likely to not happen. Personally, I haven't read many complaints about moodlets/buff system. I have read or heard some complimenting the new system because it helps in determining what just happened to their Sim when they were elsewhere. Although, it's not as explanatory for that specific reason.

Opportunities happen in real life. The only downside is that I wish there were more opportunities that reflected the Sim's life and situation a lot better. Story Progression always had an on/off switch. It says so in the base game manual. Opportunities did not have an on/off switch in base game but it was easy to dismiss and it never forced the player to participate. FX animations isn't new and has been there since 2000. Would have been nice though to have the option to turn it on and off as well a toggle for each object/etc to better customize it based on individuality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotDpiXdBKw

TS2 and TS3 probably increased the FX animations. I don't think music notes for musical instruments was in TS or TS2 but it was for other objects like the DJ booth and radio.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjNMyTOT1g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LpVUi9TQ8U

The achievement system was indeed an afterthought and was implemented near the end of the game for players who liked that kind of gameplay. It is easily ignored without penalty as I don't even participate in it and mainly play not logged in. Again, it is not forced on the player and I'm absolutely fine with options even if it means I'm not fond of it but can ignore but others are fond of it and want to play their way. As long as everyone can play their own way, options are all good.

Goals to do at home for careers isn't real life? Like a teacher who finishes grading his/her student's test papers at home? Or a doctor who needs to keep up-to-date on their medical knowledge to study at home? Etc. The game gives the player a choice to do it or not and let's say with the doctor career you don't read the medical journals you still can get promoted and get raises by fulfilling other job performance requirements. The truth is some jobs/careers/professions do have homework and is the case also in real life. Seems quite realistic to me. Ambition professions are fine and honestly I don't know who complains about a job being goal-orientated because that is exactly what jobs are in the real world. With self-employment you have the freedom to make up your own goals and what you want to focus on.

The interior designer profession, I haven't heard of not being able to interact with the client. In fact, it even says in the official Prima guide that it is advised to get to know your clients and befriend them. It's been a really long time since I tried out the interior decorator so maybe there's a glitch, I don't know.

Places being closed, I guess you are referring to lots such as the Bistro, Bookstore, Diner, Grocery Store, etc? Yes, that's unfortunate but there were a lot of lot types that players could literally create their own open version of any thing they wanted to. Of course, some things came with either EP's and/or The Store to help make that happen. Such as WA bringing the food cash register, book store cash register, and the relic shop cash register. Limited edition version of Pets added a pet store cash register. The Store added open businesses to sell anything from buy mode. The bistro set for open restaurants which is great but because of how Role Sims are handled it somehow renders it useless unless there is something else in play I'm not yet aware of. A few closed lots traded-off for a whole open world without loading screens and the most creative freedom to build, color, decorate, etc. Okay. Though, I wish not to have any trade-offs at all but at least it was worth it to me.

If you ever downloaded NRass Tagger you would know that your statement about Sims being controlled is false. I'm sure it is true and programmed that some Sims show up wherever your Sim is when away from home but that doesn't mean they are still not living a simulated life. And everywhere my Sim goes not every single Sim I seen from the last visited lot is there following my Sim, so I run into a variety of different Sims. If it were so controlled then why is it that I don't run into every single Sim that was from the last lot and so on? But back to NRass Tagger, that allows you to see every single Sim in the open world and gives a short description of what they are doing. Sometimes I will spend Sim hours just looking at the overhead world view because I'm so fascinated at seeing all the Sims literally living a simulated life. They meet up, they go shopping, they cheat, they go fishing, they visit places, etc. I'm still impressed by the A.I. in this game as it's quite intriguing.

Where is the link Rod Humble says something along the lines of, "No more Sims and their silly toys." Because maybe you took that out of context or maybe not but whatever the case, I know that TS3 is the best Sims game to date ever created in terms of being an actual life simulator. Though TS2 in-depth gameplay and animations are so heart-warming and TS iconic music and awesome gameplay would be perfect to combine with TS3 open world, CASt, Story Progression, realistic graphics, etc.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    @Desho04, I have a few answers concerning your post to me, however, my browser isn't working correctly and I refuse Google Chrome so, I will have to come back to this thread and answer or reply to some of the things you said or asked so I can edit properly my thoughts and spelling mistakes and grammar and all that. I wouldn't want to post a long reply when I know I'm going to make a zillion mistakes and not be able to correct them or fix any mistakes I may make. I will come back to my thread when the site is working correctly again.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I'm actually ready for TS5 now. I hope it's in the works. The loading screens are starting to bother me.
    p6tqefj
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top