Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

On Grants Tweets

So if you saw Grants latest tweets. How they have more dlc,and did more than sims 3 did. The other tweet well they have 200 people which is twice what sims 3 had? To be fair he was replying other tweets. These tweets do not really help the case at all.Yes you do get more dlc,but still, there is a lot missing content. Why the sims 3 had less content. The expansion packs felt meatier in comparison. We also had the store for certain objects.(Why it was overpriced). So basically you have more DLC,and more of a team . We still feel like we have less content,and the game feels empty. That is not a good sign :/ .

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    We may have fewer expansions, but we have a new category of pack, Game Packs. I think in Stuff Packs we're pretty much equal, and SPs in Sims 4 have at least one game play item while the SPs in Sims 3 were just, well, stuff. :|

Something occurred to me though -- I think I read somewhere that there were concerns about performance issues when they designed DSV which is why it was relatively small (in terms of buildable lots -- it does seem to have a lot of space to expore). Suppose those concerns were mainly for those on 32-bit systems, and the dropping of 32-bit support means that going forward we'll get larger worlds with more lots? It might take a little bit of time to see the results while they test the new limits but there could be benefits in the future.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    What I mean by meetier.I'm talking about the expansion packs. The old expansion packs filled with new stuff. You never felt bored or empty. With four its entire different story. Yoy have people complaining about nothing to do
    Create a sim
    Create a sim is a tad better, but we don't got to create a style. The physical attributes improve. While the clothes didn't.
    Vampires
    They came in their own pack. Why in Sims 3, and 2 they were in expansion packs. The Sims 4 vampires are the best entirely. But that's because they came in an entire pack.
    Toddlers. Toddlers are the only base game lifestyle that improved on. Kids are the same in 3. Teens got worse. The young adult stage is okay.
    Animations are not gameplay. Richer animations don't equal gameplay. Dont get me wrong Sims 4 has improved, and some things they did better.Still the gameplay is not as meaty.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    What I mean by meetier.I'm talking about the expansion packs. The old expansion packs filled with new stuff. You never felt bored or empty. With four its entire different story. Yoy have people complaining about nothing to do
    Create a sim
    Create a sim is a tad better, but we don't got to create a style. The physical attributes improve. While the clothes didn't.
    Vampires
    They came in their own pack. Why in Sims 3, and 2 they were in expansion packs. The Sims 4 vampires are the best entirely. But that's because they came in an entire pack.
    Toddlers. Toddlers are the only base game lifestyle that improved on. Kids are the same in 3. Teens got worse. The young adult stage is okay.
    Animations are not gameplay. Richer animations don't equal gameplay. Dont get me wrong Sims 4 has improved, and some things they did better.Still the gameplay is not as meaty.

Idk, I myself find the game enjoyable and quite much more better compared to past EP. Sure Sims 3 has more content into their EP's, but I don't find them amusing, or enjoyable. Yes EP's like Late Night might have been Meaty, but I would rather have Get Famous since the Celebrity System was much more better and well thought. Clubs are gives complete freedom when it comes to autonomyand are a great feature that can be utilized by storytellers. Even Parenthood is an amazing features that provides more opprtunities to family players. Cats and dogs provide us Pets, which I find to be better than previous iterations as they are the only pets that encourage me playing with them, along with the Vet Career/Business that is never done better. This are all gameplay features, they may not big but they are better. I actually like them focusing on themes that is actually worth focusing on rather than slamming in an EP, to make it "meatier". The Celeb system is a great example.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Create a sim
    Vampires

I would have to agree on some points. Some things are better such as the graphics and of course build mode. CAS is better for shaping our sims. However, the packs in Sims 3 especially had a lot in it and we could buy individual items, customise already existing EA content which made with different patterns, colour wheel etc. I loved being able to create tattoos in Sims 3. I liked that we could give our sims lashes without using CC in Sims 3. I loved spiral staircases, the tubes from Back to The Future, and elevators we could put in our homes without the of mods, ladders we had in Sims 3. A standard staircase takes up a lot of space that could be better utilized.

I agree that better graphics and animations don't equal better gameplay.

They should have kept the richness in 3 the silliness and zaniness at times in 2.

I don't know if I agree on life stages though. I like that teens can live on their own and don't necessarily have a curfew. I love playing smaller households and having the option of our teens being able to start a household with their friends is kind of a fun idea.

I don't know if I would agree with the Vampires being better in 4 it had little content for the price we paid.

Sims 4 packs are like going to a restaurant ordering a steak dinner getting barely a bite size of steak, half of a b size potato with nothing on it, one very tiny piece of broccoli, a shot glass size of soup and half a slice of cocktail bread with the crust cut off tepid water and spending 50 bucks on the meal. While Sims 3 packs were like going to Hometown Buffet and paying 20 bucks and getting your fill on as much food you can possibly eat in a meal including appetizers a drink with endless refills and dessert. My analogy is one of my biggest complaints about Sims 4. I feel cheated out of a lot when they put out any kind of packs and I buy them.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This is questionable...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To each their own and we will all value different things in this game, but the sims in 4 are anything but unique. In fact they're all painfully identical, more so than in Sims 3 where the fact that they looked like each other had everything to do with CAS being hard to handle (it requires some effort to avoid the waxy look; nothing sliders and CC won't take care of though). But once you've created a sim you love, they are far more unique in your game than in Sims 4. Also where looks are concerned, apart from the fact that the emotions override their actions and reactions (personality), they also override their facial features, destroying all uniqueness you managed to give them when they were looking at you with a straight face in CAS. And that's just looks. I really don't care what people think of sims in Sims 3, but calling sims in Sims 4 unique is too far of a stretch. Can't leave this unmentioned because it's actually the worst flaw in this entire game. How much better would this game be if they actually were unique.

As for easy build mode: easy isn't necessarily better. It's great I can throw in a room anywhere I want to, but why would I if I can't decorate it any old way I want to? Filling a room with preset objects that often don't even match is not how I want to spend my afternoon. Building in Sims 3 can be hard, but I happen to like a challenge. That really doesn't put me off.

Quite a few Sims 3 packs aren't in depth, quite a few are. They also came with open venues. Is a club system in depth? That's debatable. Ordering a bunch of sims to start doing the same thing. For me that's as captivating as watching paint dry. Not saying that's objective, if you do like it you do, but it's got nothing to do with depth. Depth lies in the way sims react to each other. Do they remember things, do they treat their fellow sims the way we would if we were in their situation. That for me defines depth. Being able to walk into a restaurant is not more in depth than walking into a tomb and explore it, or walk into a karaoke bar and perform with an audience. Not sure what Sims 4's holiday sytem is, must have missed that one. Sims in 3 can take a few days off and have a holiday in their own world. Go camping, go swimming in the sea, go scuba diving, I can come up with a lot of ways they can spend a holiday. And they can also do it in France, China or Egypt if they want to. Or in the future even.

The very fact Sims 3 is so much more open and added so much different, diverse stuff, makes it way more in depth and adds numerous different things to do. Because it tickles our imagination and there's nothing deeper than that. Joining the forums here broadened my view on this, because I met simmers who were doing things in their games that never even had occurred to me. I don't think Sims 4 offers that, because the gameplay is so scripted and one dimensional. The developers came up with a plan and we play it. And each and every simmer has no choice but playing the very same game.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The game will improve only when the person in charge is mature, responsible, cares about the game & it's quality, and makes sure that all involved in its development/production care. From what I've seen of the game after all these years, and on the live presentations that come out on occasion, none of what is needed is currently present.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    So if you saw Grants latest tweets. How they have more dlc,and did more than sims 3 did. The other tweet well they have 200 people which is twice what sims 3 had? To be fair he was replying other tweets. These tweets do not really help the case at all.Yes you do get more dlc,but still, there is a lot missing content. Why the sims 3 had less content. The expansion packs felt meatier in comparison. We also had the store for certain objects.(Why it was overpriced). So basically you have more DLC,and more of a team . We still feel like we have less content,and the game feels empty. That is not a good sign :/ .

I'm pretty sure we do have less content with TS4. Some things have improved, sure, like toddlers, but the actual content is so much less than previous games. The tweet you mentioned had some nice replies, for example how quantity doesn't mean quality and how it looks more because previous packs have now been divided into multiple ones.
    People can enjoy TS4 as it is, but saying it has more (gameplay) content than previous games is ridiculous. We can all hope it'll catch up, but looking back at the previous years... Well, let's say TS4 would have to go on for many, many more years to catch up.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    The game will improve only when the person in charge is mature, responsible, cares about the game & it's quality, and makes sure that all involved in its development/production care. From what I've seen of the game after all these years, and on the live presentations that come out on occasion, none of what is needed is currently present.

Well then you'd have to say the same thing about some of Sims 2 and all of Sims 3 seeing the ones we see on Camera have well over 10-12 years doing the same things they are doing now in those games. Lyndsay started in Sims 1. Same devs, same engineers, same animators etc. The only thing different is the heads of EA, the VP of the Sims Division, some of the artists, some of marketing, and the fact more devs etc who have been there a long time finally decided to become Gurus. Of course being a Guru only means they are volunteering to talk with Simmers - it has nothing to do with making the game.

I have thought to myself many times and wondered why these same people did something else so much better in 2 or 3 - why go so far in a different direction with less appeal - then I realize why they have to do that - is because it has to be different than all the rest of the versions other wise people then start harping about them stealing this or that from the other games and just being lazy. Seems there is no winning for the team. But fact is you can't have it both ways.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited March 2019

Quite a few Sims 3 packs aren't in depth, quite a few are. They also came with open venues. Is a club system in depth? That's debatable. Ordering a bunch of sims to start doing the same thing. For me that's as captivating as watching paint dry. Not saying that's objective, if you do like it you do, but it's got nothing to do with depth. Depth lies in the way sims react to each other. Do they remember things, do they treat their fellow sims the way we would if we were in their situation. That for me defines depth. Being able to walk into a restaurant is not more in depth than walking into a tomb and explore it, or walk into a karaoke bar and perform with an audience. Not sure what Sims 4's holiday sytem is, must have missed that one. Sims in 3 can take a few days off and have a holiday in their own world. Go camping, go swimming in the sea, go scuba diving, I can come up with a lot of ways they can spend a holiday. And they can also do it in France, China or Egypt if they want to. Or in the future even.

The very fact Sims 3 is so much more open and added so much different, diverse stuff, makes it way more in depth and adds numerous different things to do. Because it tickles our imagination and there's nothing deeper than that. Joining the forums here broadened my view on this, because I met simmers who were doing things in their games that never even had occurred to me. I don't think Sims 4 offers that, because the gameplay is so scripted and one dimensional. The developers came up with a plan and we play it. And each and every simmer has no choice but playing the very same game.]

I agree with this.

Also I question the accuracy of this tweet. Sims 4 has so, so, so many things still missing, I don't see how it has given more content. Especially when a lot of the content we are getting are re skins. Seriously how many freaking baths and toilets does the sims 4 need?

Depth is key here. As JoAnne says Sims that all react the same way to an argument for example is dull as dish water. Sims not reacting to things like catching a spouse or parent cheating is just awful quite frankly for a game that is almost five.That should be the bread and butter of a life simulation game. Oh Wait it always was. Right now Sims are as deep as puddles. They all have the same whims and when they are in certain emotions all get the same emotional whims and the same emotional buffs. To get a sim angry all I have to do is put some "angry" décor on the walls- Boom! instant anger moodlet. Whooppee. We have so little traits and many of them are useless. The Evil trait just means an evil laugh. That's it.

Children get adult whims like "do laundry" "buy a dishwasher" But they never, ever want to get a good report card or even want to get a bad one. Likewise Mum and Dad don't care either.

Quality over quantity is key.

Or in other words: Come back and brag about content drops when Sims aren't all carbon copies of each other and I'm not having to pretend my Sims care about their world around them and the behaviour of their family. Because they day you have to pretend your sim is devastated after catching her spouse cheating and that her world is crumbling is the day it stops being a life sim.*

*Reality was She sat on the couch eating an ice cream cone, saw her spouse kiss another sim and she just carried on eating her ice cream with no reaction. Perhaps it was a really good ice cream. It must have been as her "Happy" mood didn't shift. She was so happy, the tiny angry moodlet never made it to the surface. But hey Smarter Sims....Weirder stories and all that.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2019
    I’m going to breakdown Grant’s whole tweet here, so this may be a little long winded.

Starting with packs (DLC), Grant is correct. They have done more packs for the Sims 4. ~25 packs (it’s actually 27) is greater than 20 packs (Sims 3). However, 14 of those 27 packs are stuff packs, which don’t offer new gameplay systems (like the fame system or restaurant system). I’m going to strictly be discussing packs with gameplay systems to level the playing field between the Sims 3 and Sims 4. Stuff packs of either game need not apply.

The Sims 4’s 27 packs minus 14 stuff packs leaves us with 13 packs that do offer new gameplay systems, compared to Sims 3’s 11 packs (9 of the 20 were stuff packs). Then we also have to factor in that Sims 4 game packs are smaller than expansion packs. So for simplicity’s sake, let’s say that each game pack is roughly 1/2 of an expansion pack. There are 7 game packs, which makes up ~3 1/2 expansion packs, plus the 6 full fledged expansions, we get ~9 1/2 expansion packs for the Sims 4 vs. Sims 3’s 11 expansion packs. ~9 1/2 is less than 11. Again, these numbers are estimates and your mileage may vary.

Now if we’re talking about object count (not gameplay systems), I’m going to say the Sims 3 overall has more objects, not including store content. If you do include the store, then the Sims 3 has more objects by a landslide.

This isn’t me trying to argue one is better than the other, that’s one’s personal preference and ultimately subjective. I’m working solely with the numbers to be as objective as possible.

I’m also going to throw a flag on claiming that the free patches have contributed to doing more than the Sims 3. A majority of those free patches, like pools, ghosts, terrain tools, toddlers, handymen, nannies (babysitters in Sims 3), etc., were in the Sims 3 base game when it launched (some of them were even in the Sims 2 and Sims base games). It’s playing catch-up to previous base games. I don’t know if he’s including patches that were purely bug fixes in his “4 dozen” comment, but those aren’t really new content either.

While the tweet at face value is “technically” true, once you dig below the surface, it seems a bit misleading. To me, at least, this reads like a pitch to investors, or those earnings calls EA does every quarter. Taken literally, they’re correct, but in reality, things aren’t quite as clear cut.

I also find it interesting that the devs have told simmers time and time again to not compare the Sims 4 to previous entries in the series when they have criticizism or concerns, as it’s “its own game”, but then turn around...and compare it to previous versions to heap praise on it and place it on a pedestal. Seems kind of contradictory if you ask me.
    Post edited by Barbie430 on
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Is anyone going to actually post a link or screenshot of the quote so I know what you all are talking about?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,869 Member
    Probably one of these tweets. Not sure which as I just skimmed this thread.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943598/sim-gurus-on-twitter/p57
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Is anyone going to actually post a link or screenshot of the quote so I know what you all are talking about?

These are the tweets

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited March 2019
    fullspiral wrote: »
    2. The ease of build mode and what they've added to that in terms of just pulling walls and moving things.

Build mode is easier in Sims 4, but also WAY more limited. We can't even paint the ceiling, change the color of a light source while in build mode or put foundations on the second floor or higher. (placefriezes on)

Also not to mention that there is no color wheel where you can customize every color to your own likings.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member

These are the tweets

Thank you for embing the tweets.I could not do.I never saw the middle one .
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2019
    He is considering the countless stuff packs for TS4 as part of that equation -- using the number of DLCs as a basis for the game being "good". I guess it's clear why TS4 is the weaker entry.

That should tell you enough. The Sims 3, love it or hate it, just about had World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, and Island Paradise by now. Many of those packs contained multiple themes from the many TS4 packs all in one expansion.

Edited to remove screenshot of Guru personal twitter. ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    These tweets just point out how empty the packs actually are. Several hundred dollars worth of DLC and the game is still missing so much content. But hey, rumor is competition is coming. It will not be soon but it is coming.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited March 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    He is considering the countless stuff packs for TS4 as part of that equation -- using the number of DLCs as a basis for the game being "good". I guess it's clear why TS4 is the weaker entry.

That should tell you enough. The Sims 3, love it or hate it, just about had World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, and Island Paradise by now. Many of those packs contained multiple themes from the many TS4 packs all in one expansion.

OH yeah you are so right. Let's just look at late night as an example. In Late Night we got bridgeport, apartments(which could be built in any world), vampires, celebrities, subway travel, the food truck, new film career, new zodiac sign for compatibility, group outings, a new dance and the list goes on. Plum, that is like City living, Get Famous, Vampire GP with a touch of Get together with group outings and a bit more than what we have so far and a bit less with the film career being expanded on in 4. If you look at it that way, the expansion in Sims 4 are REALLY lacking. You can't say you have had more pack releases when you have chomped the content being released in those packs in my opinion.

Edit: After thinking about it more, I feel robbed LOL.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    You know I am still not done with this...

When are we even going to have sims dance WITH each other not kneading the bread on the side?? I mean this basic feature still has not been added and to claim Sims 4 has more is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2019

Wowwwww he needs to delete that, that's embarrassing and unprofessional in my opinion. Now I understand @Bagoas77 's position even more lol
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited March 2019

Wowwwww he needs to delete that, that's embarrassing and unprofessional in my opinion. Now I understand @Bagoas77 's position even more lol

That was my reaction too. All forums are trash?... Just wow. Way to blast all the fans of pretty much anything anywhere.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01