Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville: Too repetitive.

SO, actually doing this because i found a way to sort of fit it into my story.
However, I did the mistake of giving Lena and Lucy the "Solve The Mystery" aspiration and god it is boring and repetitive.

I'm pretty sure I will just cheat thru the aspiration when I start playing again tomorrow, hunting for pieces of evidence is very VERY boring.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    That is my only complaint about this pack. It feels too grindy.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'm still not done it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. But I am not grinding through the side-game. I'm taking my time with it and integrating it in to my play. My teen basically only has time to do things regarding it on weekends or holidays and he doesn't always strictly focus on it during that time either. He will do his homework or a school project, or go have a club meeting with his buds to talk about the ongoing issues in the town. He'll take pics of the plants and the infected for their wall in their clubhouse so they can talk about them....

He'll go to the library or bar to talk to scientists or military people. Or stop over that the booth to talk to that guy. If he's in good shape, I send him out to the lab for spores or other things like creating some vaccines.

I only look at the aspiration guidelines when I am unsure what he needs to do next.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i wound up playing it through with three sims in a household with the same aspiration and learned a few things that way

one, the evidence in the secret lab seems to respawn each time you return to it, even on the same day. the computers won't ever get fixed unless you have a sim with 9 or 10 handiness visit to manually repair them

two, the things you need to harvest after you finish the evidence step spawn the most in and around the lab, so use your scanner there (and especially past the second door) to collect those fast

three, the thing at the end...bring extra bizarre fruit. to restart things after a victory, you'll need a fruit. and you can restart and end things multiple times without even leaving the lot (i restarted 4 times before leaving the first time, so the two other sims could get their ambition completions, to see if the backup showed up again even after the initial completion (they do) and then the final time to leave the story at the beginning. i also used that last time to kill one of my sims via the ending, so i could eventually have the new ghost type

also, the listening station is a pretty decent way to collect evidence away from the lab, though it only works with bugging strangerville scientists, strangerville military (both of those are hidden traits, but you always see the job title under their names) and the grim reaper

double also, the evidence thing is one reason i decided to expand where it can be found outside the lab. in the default strangerville, you can find three evidence piles to dig through outside the lab. one in the bedroom of the sigworth house, one in the storage room in george cahill's bunker beneath old penelope, and one in the microscopic basement in the rosewell house

i've expanded both cahill's bunker and ted roswell's basement/bunker, adding a few more evidence piles to both. there's a lot more interesting stuff in the roswell basement, now, though it's mostly locked behind a vault door. i made sure to overfill it with stuff so that he had to stash a few bits of evidence outside the door for investigating sims to find. i also added a small listening station beneath the library and gave it a few piles of evidence, too. it's behind a secret door in the mayor's office, since the library was redone as a town hall, complete with archives
  • Options
    SikukeSikuke Posts: 96 Member
    Unfortunafely many many things in the sims 4 are too repetitive lol.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I don't mind playing the story a second time. But the amount of items we need to collect is putting me off. Too grindy. I'll try hidden objects to get some items, I think.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Don't play woth the aspiration. It will give you much more challenge.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I find the whole thing badly made, tbh.

Biggest issue: Apparently the devs never considered that a player might want more than a single sim to do the quest at once. Which is kind of incredible; I have heard so many players here talking about how they will do a "Scooby doo". But you can't.

Other issues: I am at a stage where I am to test vaccines. And I can't find a single infected in the entire town?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Biggest issue: Apparently the devs never considered that a player might want more than a single sim to do the quest at once. Which is kind of incredible; I have heard so many players here talking about how they will do a "Scooby doo". But you can't.

Other issues: I am at a stage where I am to test vaccines. And I can't find a single infected in the entire town?

I ran into this problem too. And to make matters worse the interaction is bugged. My sim had to introduce himself to the infected so that he could throw the vaccine. Otherwise the interaction would not even play and he'd loose the vaccine in his inventory.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member

You can, but only sim will be able to do the aspiration. I did a "Scooby Doo" type thing with six teen sims and it worked just fine. I could the others collect evidence, pictures etc. and then transfer it to the main sim's inventory.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don’t mind that the same story can be replayed per-say... but I was sort of hoping for a little more in solving the mystery itself. It’s cool that you can save the town and what not. But you never find out the how, why and who of it. Why is the military covering it up? How did this even happen? Who did it and are they hiding anything else? It would’ve been more exciting if you could’ve dug deeper into the mystery and if doing so put your sim in some kind of danger.

Also it would’ve been a nice touch if there were other strange sims and stuff going on not stuff to solve but stuff that’s just there, like to pay homage to the OG strangeville. Maybe a weird pond with green water. More aliens in the town. Some of the premades from the previous town. A poster of what sort of looks like Bella Goth in the lab for no known reason. That kind of thing would’ve been epic.

That being said I do enjoy the pack a lot, I did find a way to work it into my Goth family saga that worked out great. I also love the build/buy stuff cause it’ll work great in the rags to riches challenge I also like to play once and awhile. I wish we got more cas stuff for children and toddlers but I suppose this wasn’t the pack for that.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Something like this should not be grinding, which is a great way to kill off interest. There should be multiple paths to get to the end game point, each equally valid and with its own things to find and puzzles/mysteries to solve. That aids replayability. hmae123's points are valid, especially relating to backstory. That kind of thing does not happen in a vacuum, and those elements easily lead to new things to solve.
  • Options
    HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member

I always sent my sim around the library area, i got a bunch of infected sims there.

Also, as much as i really liked the idea of this pack and really enjoyed playing it, i wont be playing the aspiration again, i will just cheat if i want a non infected town because i really love the town in the pack.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    The infected are around town during the night a lot... at 1am mostly.
  • Options
    gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2019
    That should be the tagline for the entire game. The Sims 4: Too Repetitive.

But yes, after going around and talking to exactly one sim about the mystery, I instantly got bored. I cheated my way through by increasing the relationship between my sim and any scientist + military personal I came across and I downloaded the things I needed to collect off the gallery (thank you to the amazing simmer who put a room with a bunch of spores + a hazmat suit in the gallery).

I'm not sure why they did the "story" like this. They made it like an actual low budget RPG, which doesn't really fit in with the sims. There's not much room to deviate and create your own story.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2019
    gemjas wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they did the "story" like this. They made it like an actual low budget RPG, which doesn't really fit in with the sims. There's not much room to deviate and create your own story.

My problem is that they didn't. They did too much, and too little. I don't see a point in doing this unless they had doubled down on it.
    Say, four or five different resolutions, a few of them wacky like usual in the Sims, none of them take that much coding, just skill checks, really:

1. Fight the Mother
    2. Befriend the Mother with the help of high carisma
    3. Befriend the Mother because you're a Global Superstar and she wants your authograph.
    4. Be a top level scientist and open a portal to teleport her away.
    5. Permanently joint the Mother and spread her message of Love and Understanding thru Mind Control

Also, a few more fail / death states:

1. Get killed by the Mother
    2. Get arrested by the military and disappear forever in some secret prison
    3. Become permanently Infected

Just on top of my head.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

My problem is that they didn't. They did too much, and too little. I don't see a point in doing this unless they had doubled down on it.
    Say, four or five different resolutions, a few of them wacky like usual in the Sims, none of them take that much coding, just skill checks, really:

1. Fight the Mother
    3. Befriend the Mother because you're a Global Superstar and she wants your authograph.
    5. Permanently joint the Mother and spread her message of Love and Understanding thru Mind Control

Just on top of my head.
    Ok I really don’t understand what you are saying all I know is you are now saying the story is to little? This is a sandbox game the story only fits if you are willing to do it and incorporate it in your story. You don’t need to solve any story in the game the game isn’t forcing you to do it. The town is unique the way it is. I have a sim doing the story but he works during the week so he can only do the stuff on the weekends.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    I played it through a couple times first and finally the third time I played it like any other world but my main Sim and several of the locals joined the army right off the bat - and then only play the story after work if they had time and on days off, Doing it sort of like a club but using my main Sim as a guide when these Sims would go to the lab etc and do things. My main sim actually did most of the things as I never enacted them in an actual club - just played as if they were by having my Sim use the "GO with" option.

Eventually they solved the mystery and now just go through their life climbing the ladder. I play the other 3 in my rotation now as in normal worlds. The towns people are all normal and living their lives.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

1. Fight the Mother

Just on top of my head.
    Ok I really don’t understand what you are saying all I know is you are now saying the story is to little? This is a sandbox game the story only fits if you are willing to do it and incorporate it in your story. You don’t need to solve any story in the game the game isn’t forcing you to do it. The town is unique the way it is. I have a sim doing the story but he works during the week so he can only do the stuff on the weekends.

Lol part time hero