Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can be done to fix sims themselves?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2019
    I may be annoying with my personalities but I think it's crucial for TS4 to keep it interesting at this point.

1. Memory
    2. More impactful traits
    3. Better whims
    4. Decrease the impact of the happy emotion
    5. Better reactions (don't hug your enemy please)

You can continue the list with your ideas. Thank's to contribute, if we want to see a change we have to make noise, it's our responsability. 🙏

I believe this is very important to this game.
    What makes sims fun is the interaction of individualistic sims. Just playing with them and having them interact should be the core fun of the game that never gets old. As it is, I am just bouncing from pack to pack that brings short lived features.

I think aspirations can help sims express their personalities as well.

I currently have a Pleasure Seeker mod installed.
    Being away from TS4 for a while I forgot I put it in.
    Playing Strangerville recently, I thought the aspiration was something new and got excited about it. :s
    Something felt off about it and I realized it was a mod.

Anyway, I do love it because it is kind of a driver of my sim's personality.
    Perhaps EA should do a batch of aspirations that bring out sim personalities.

This game's major focus is on a few emotions that all sims have in common.
    This makes them feel samey.

If traits had a very noticeable difference on how sims process their emotions, then I believe sims would seem more individualistic. It would be more work to do this, but the game would really benefit.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    something that just occured to me is that the sims 4 is almost like a reboot of sims 1 but with better graphics and expanded on functions, like they can age and die now of natural causes
    The eating speed

omg the speed of anything they do in this game is mind boggling. in sims 3 they would autonomously get up ONE hour before work and i could in most circumstances have them toilet, shower AND eat within that hour and off to work happy they go. LIKE MOST PEOPLE

in sims 4 however, it is a contest between a shower done properly and the toilet or food; food which takes more than that hour to finish

DRIVES ME NUTS!
  • tommynocker001tommynocker001 Posts: 187 Member
    ...omg the speed of anything they do in this game is mind boggling...

There used to be an alarm call for sims at that hour and their morning routine would consist of eat, toilet & wash. The kids even had a little time for some TV before heading out. Now even a non lazy sim will sleep through their allotted work time with a full energy bar. I've seen sims still in bed at 12 noon... a full five hours late for work and starving...
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Anyone that plays a rotational game or a different sim all the time can see that no matter what trait they are given, they all end up feeling the same. One can get get tense because they haven't played a video game in a while, while another can get tense because they haven't been outside in a while and another gets tense because they haven't called a group meeting in a while, and another gets tense because they haven't advanced in their career as quickly as they wanted to....but you get the point? They ALL feel the same. No matter what traits you give them.

It's the "emotion" system that is crippling sims 4 and making them all the same. And it's annoying. There's no uniqueness to playing different traits. Sure, they have different discussion options, but big deal.

The background running AI needs a lot of work.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2019
    CK213 wrote: »
    I may be annoying with my personalities but I think it's crucial for TS4 to keep it interesting at this point.

1. Memory
    2. More impactful traits
    3. Better whims

You can continue the list with your ideas. Thank's to contribute, if we want to see a change we have to make noise, it's our responsability. 🙏

I believe this is very important to this game.
    What makes sims fun is the interaction of individualistic sims. Just playing with them and having them interact should be the core fun of the game that never gets old. As it is, I am just bouncing from pack to pack that brings short lived features.

I think aspirations can help sims express their personalities as well.

I currently have a Pleasure Seeker mod installed.
    Being away from TS4 for a while I forgot I put it in.
    Playing Strangerville recently, I thought the aspiration was something new and got excited about it. :s
    Something felt off about it and I realized it was a mod.

Anyway, I do love it because it is kind of a driver of my sim's personality.
    Perhaps EA should do a batch of aspirations that bring out sim personalities.

This game's major focus is on a few emotions that all sims have in common.
    This makes them feel samey.

If traits had a very noticeable difference on how sims process their emotions, then I believe sims would seem more individualistic. It would be more work to do this, but the game would really benefit.

Yes, if traits were noticeable without having to read moodlets it would be better. A bookworm should read everytime, a romantic should love watching the romance channel, read romantic books, an unflirty should avoid relationships, being less flirty while watching romance channel, a foodie should love 🐸🐸🐸🐸, watching the gourmet channel, gardening, go to the restaurant (yes, packs should be more connected) etc.
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    something that just occured to me is that the sims 4 is almost like a reboot of sims 1 but with better graphics and expanded on functions, like they can age and die now of natural causes
    The eating speed

omg the speed of anything they do in this game is mind boggling. in sims 3 they would autonomously get up ONE hour before work and i could in most circumstances have them toilet, shower AND eat within that hour and off to work happy they go. LIKE MOST PEOPLE

in sims 4 however, it is a contest between a shower done properly and the toilet or food; food which takes more than that hour to finish

DRIVES ME NUTS!

Couldn't agree more with the speed, eventho it has nothing to do with personalities hope it will be improved at some point.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Anyone that plays a rotational game or a different sim all the time can see that no matter what trait they are given, they all end up feeling the same. One can get get tense because they haven't played a video game in a while, while another can get tense because they haven't been outside in a while and another gets tense because they haven't called a group meeting in a while, and another gets tense because they haven't advanced in their career as quickly as they wanted to....but you get the point? They ALL feel the same. No matter what traits you give them.

It's the "emotion" system that is crippling sims 4 and making them all the same. And it's annoying. There's no uniqueness to playing different traits. Sure, they have different discussion options, but big deal.

The background running AI needs a lot of work.

Yeah, they are all the same. I don't personally think that traits will improve that, even if they are more meaningful. However, I'm sure they could do a great job with the attraction system, likes/dislikes on activities, memory, favourites etc. They can't make it wrong with all the ideas here. I hope they are working on that and I want to see it this year or the next year at least. But I have the feeling University is on top of priorities eventho better personalities should be on top of them.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Crimson_CountessCrimson_Countess Posts: 17 Member
    Tying into the idea of memories, what if after a sim died, even once the three days of sadness where over, they could occasionally have relapses? say if a given sim had spent a lot of time roller-skating with their S.O., then their S.O. dies, they could have a chance of gaining a small sadness moodlet when roller-skating?
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Xwanton wrote: »
    I didn't know they talked about decrease the effect of the happy emotion, can someone share the tweet? I never found it, anyway I hope it will be a thing as soon as possible.

He said it here:

I hope they do consider it more. I find that the fine emotion doesn't appear that often and I think that should be the default instead of happy. Also, I think the negative moodlets should boost each other, such as uncomfortable boosting sad or angry.

FINE(not shouting)should be the normal. As far as I know it is the neutral state if emotion, so how come as time goes on it went to happy. I really think they put hundreds of Happy Moodlets in one pack, and the negative moodlets are only as few as we can have. Even Negative Emotional Traits dont get something new when packs are released. How about an Hot Headed sim who get angry at every paparazi unless he/she had that loves paparazi quirk? They never expand traits in packs to provide huge changes to our gameplay
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Xwanton wrote: »
    I didn't know they talked about decrease the effect of the happy emotion, can someone share the tweet? I never found it, anyway I hope it will be a thing as soon as possible.

He said it here:

I hope they do consider it more. I find that the fine emotion doesn't appear that often and I think that should be the default instead of happy. Also, I think the negative moodlets should boost each other, such as uncomfortable boosting sad or angry.

FINE(not shouting)should be the normal. As far as I know it is the neutral state if emotion, so how come as time goes on it went to happy. I really think they put hundreds of Happy Moodlets in one pack, and the negative moodlets are only as few as we can have. Even Negative Emotional Traits dont get something new when packs are released. How about an Hot Headed sim who get angry at every paparazi unless he/she had that loves paparazi quirk? They never expand traits in packs to provide huge changes to our gameplay

It could be a great idea to expand traits through new packs. Like that traits would me more impactful.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    I feel that Sims need to be more spontaneous when they have certain traits, especially with autonomy on. Like if a nerd sim is feeling tense because they haven't played a game in a long time they should use their phone to relieve that moodlet. A romantic sim should not just get a 1+ flirty moodlet, but sometimes (when with a lover) a 2+ or 3+ flirty moodlet. Same with gloomy Sims!
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'd like to see whims that are more relevant to a sim's traits. We need fewer pools and bee boxes, more wishes to interact with friends and relatives, whims to watch TV or play on the computer, even silly things like changing into pajamas - I'm pretty sure Sims 2 had a wish for sims to change into their underwear! I'd also love to see a fear emotion, and a return of fears as the opposite to whims, though if we have a fear emotion, the name might need to be changed! In Sims 2, each sim had a handful of wishes you could fulfil but they also had a few fears, and their mood would drop if their fears occurred. Fears would be tied to both big and small life events, such as a family-orientated sim never getting married and having a kid, or a squeamish sim having to clean the toilet.

I'd also very much like to see some more child aspirations because we still only have 4.

A return of the chemistry system from Sims 2 would also be very much appreciated. There is a lot that could be done with that, such as attraction to a particular hair colour, attraction to certain traits, perhaps even being attracted to sims in different careers. And of course, each sim also had a turn off as well.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2019
    Traits:
    Many more traits that have an effect on gameplay and make unique sims. More trait slots would be great, even if only one more - this will allow more combinations of traits and create more complex sims. Also add more "flawed" traits to round out sims so they aren't all just perfect happy beings.

Some examples of cool traits:
    • Stoic: This sim is very unemotional and hardly ever gets extreme emotions. They are "fine" most of the time, and will get annoyed if sims around them are having extreme emotions. They prefer being alone and staring into space when they are upset.
    • Easily stressed: These sims are tense a lot and get stressed buffs very easily whenever something goes wrong or they have a responsibility, ex. throwing a party. They also feel wracked with fear of getting caught if they do something they shouldn't, ex. pulling a prank on someone or defying their boss during work.
    • Carb conscious: This sim will want to eat low-carb food, be able to examine carbs in food and get negative emotions from eating a lot. These sims are terrified of getting fat and will cry if they gain weight.
    • Eco-friendly: These sims love to garden, fish (if not vegetarian), use the grill or bonfire instead of electrical appliances, save water by showering instead of bathing and having few luxuries, since they believe in saving resources and recycling. They get positive emotions from saving resources and negative emotions when wasting electricity/water and having too many appliances around them. They can scold other sims for being wasteful, enthuse about being green etc.
    • Manipulative: These sims are masters of persuasion. They can easily manipulate other sims into liking/disliking other sims, spread rumours about others, cause drama or get themselves and others out of trouble etc.
    • Rebel
    • Dramatic
    • etc.

Likes/dislikes
    This adds some fun detail to sims and makes them feel much more life-like.
    • Activities: sims like doing certain things, ex. making seasonal crafts, but hate cleaning. This can also be used to boost certain traits like Art-lover, bookworm etc.
    • Colours, music, food: sims can choose a favourite and least favourite out of each category. Sims like wearing their favourite colour and decorating their house with this colour. They can compliment other sims on their outfit or house colour scheme if it is their fav colour, or insult/complain about it if it is their least fav. Sims are happy about eating their fav meal, and will be very unhappy or even get nauseous if eating their least fav. Sims can also insult, praise and debate each other's music tastes.

Turn-on/offs
    A chemistry system would be so great. I like a little challenge when it comes to choosing partners for my sims. It adds a lot of potential for the game to throw a wrench into your plans, or for players setting up soulmates.
    Turn-ons/offs could include appearance (eye/hair colour, slim/normal/more to love/athletic etc), personality traits, interests, skills, professions and wealth.

Fears
    I really don't understand why we don't have the Fear emotion. I hope we get it some time before the end of TS4, bc fear is one of the most basic human emotions. It could also introduce two new traits: Fearless and Coward.
    Sims who are scared have new interactions:
    -Hide
    -Freak out
    -Faint
    -Cry
    -Make scared call (this would be funny if your sim calls their friend because they're afraid of the dark haha)
    Sims can be calmed down by other sims.
    Sims can also scare each other through pranks: switching the lights off, dressing up in costumes, hiding under the bed, waiting behind a door etc.

Examples of fears:
    -the dark
    -the tragic clown
    -mirrors
    -insects
    -ghosts
    -aliens/vampires/supernaturals
    -broccoli (lol)
    -water (will get a panic attack if in a pool and can die of shock if in for too long)
    -elders (get off my lawn!)
    -electricity (terrified of fixing appliances)
    -fire (freaks out at bonfires and faints in event of house fires - yes that makes them easier to kill :naughty: )
    -scary movies/music/TV/outfits

Relationships
    Sims should be very socially intelligent and feel like real virtual people. The moment that the player feels completely engaged in the sims and the world around their sim, the player feels like there is purpose in their sim creating bonds and succeeding in life.

I love TS4's interactions as they feel quite involved and specific. Instead of "Chat" (TS3), I can "ask about day," "talk about dreams" and "talk about interests." This adds immersion and is essential for an involved experience.
    However, I feel that there isn't enough distinction between different relationships in TS4. Acquaintances, friends and best friends don't feel all that different to me, except for a few extra interactions. Sims should be visually happy to see their friends, have more personal interactions, react in certain ways to certain things when their best friends are around (ex. be more giggly, more confident etc) and so on.
    Enemies in TS4 are seriously saddening because there is next to no tension. Sims seem all too happy around their nemesis. Sims should behave differently when their enemy is within range (ex. being more grumpy, more likely to be mean etc.) and want to wreck havoc on their enemies' lives.
    Interactions that allow sims to negatively (and positively, for friends and such) impact others' lives, would be a lot of fun. Spreading rumours, pranking, spitting in their food, gossiping about them, breaking up friendships and lovers (as well as spreading nice things, talking sims up towards another sim, introducing sims to each other, giving advice about ... [finances/love life/job/skill etc. that gives the sim a boost] etc. ) and so on. Sims can manipulate others into preforming certain interactions and influence other sims into behavioural changes. (The Manipulative trait boosts the success rate of convincing sims to act certain ways and change their opinion about other sims)

Ideas for interactions
    I'd like some more conversation interactions to feel like my sims are actually bonding etc. I'd like to know what my sims are talking about and have a breadth of subjects and stuff like that so I feel more socially connected to my sims.

Chit-chat:
    - Small talk
    - Chat about day
    - Talk about weather (Seasons)
    - Talk about news (might bore a sim)
    - Talk about __ (unlocked when sim finds out that the sim has a certain skill or trait, like cooking, fitness, books etc. instead of simply talking about things your sim can do. Good relationship boost as it shows interest in the other sim. I liked this in TS3 as it felt like sims actually remembered other sims' interests and personality)
    - Try to impress (might fail, causing embarrassment)

Friendship:
    - Tease about __ (other sim's love interest)
    - Discuss mutual dislike for __ (sim with negative relationship for both sims)
    - Rant about __ (sim)
    - Discuss pointlessness of it all
    - Rant about life
    - Discuss relevance of TV shows in life
    - Discuss which TV character you are
    - Speculate futures (can give various buffs, ex. "Yas I'm going to be rich" or "What do you mean I'll have 8 kids?")
    - Gush about future with __ (love interest)
    - Ask if __ is a good match (love interest. Pop-up saying yes/no etc. Might offend sim if friend says no)
    - Ask for advice about __ (sim's relationship with another sim. Negative relationship or love interest)
    - Discuss fears

Mean:
    - Hit insecurities
    - Imply mother is a llama (from TS3 lol)
    - Insult __ (cooking/art/gardening etc.)
    - Insult __ (personality trait, ex. geekiness/childishness etc.)
    - Be sarcastic
    - Suggest sim has no future

- Spread rumours about __ (sim. Might either lower your sim's relationship with talked-to sim [if they have a positive relationship with subject sim] or lower talked-to sim's relationship with subject sim. We need more ways to ruin other sims' lives)
    - Gossip about __ (sim)
    - Turn against __ (sim)
    - I can treat you better (*sings*. Lol, just kidding. But can steal sim's love interest and turn them against former lover.)

Romance:
    - Discuss future together (might either make a sim tense for not wanting to commit so quickly, or open a possibility of the other sim asking you out on a date and proposing in the next few days. Non-played sims don't propose, which makes sense as it might ruin stories, but it would be great if we could influence it to happen)
    - Dinner table proposal
    - Relaxing/Cuddling/Make-out in bed (TS3 style)
    - More wild make-outs (standing and on couch. TS4 is so PG10.)
    - Slow-dancing!!!

- Confess affair
    - Accuse of having affair

Socials that prompt a pop-up:
    - Gossip (pop-up with something that is actually happening in town, like in TS3)
    - What's wrong? (If a sim is in a negative mood. Pop-up explaining cause, like "My parent died" or "broke up with _" or "got in fight with _" etc. I think this will complement the emotional system very well, as a big part of real emotions is sharing them, and we can also get to know sims better with this - what's going on in their lives etc.)
    - "Get to know" can now also tell us about the other sim's skills, likes/dislikes etc.

Interactions on objects:
    - Prank call __ (cellphone)
    - Take quiz (computer. Might cause buffs like "forever alone," "I'm a hamburger," "he/she likes me back!" etc.)

Edit: I (ironically) forgot to ask for memories!

Memories
    Memories should be optional - automatic or player-captured. Memories are stored in a scrapbook which can be looked at at any time. All sims have automatic memories by default, which makes it easy to snoop around a new roommate/spouse's past life if you want to look at their memories :naughty:
    Memories should affect sims in certain ways. If something very traumatic happened to a sim on a certain lot, they might be reminded of the incident and feel emotional or wish to do something related to it. If a sim ate pancakes every morning during their honeymoon, the sim might occasionally be reminded of it if eating pancakes again.
    Memories might be tainted by life events. If a sim divorces, said pancake memory might become an unpleasant one. If a break-up made a sim sad but later that sim turns out to be an awful person, the sim might be grateful that they broke up.

Mourning
    I can't believe that we still don't have funerals or graveyards in TS4. Death is as part of life as birth. Funeral events with appropriate interactions and activities (ex. drinking tea, talking about the deceased, saying good [or bad] things about the deceased, talking about surviving relatives etc.) should be included, as well as graveyards where sims can place urns or tombstones in family plots. Sims will mourn the deceased for a period of time relevant to their relationship with the deceased sim. An acquaintance might be mourned for a day, a friend for a few days and a beloved relative for a week. If a sim witnessed the death, the sim might be traumatized and never truly get over the death.

Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
    Traits:
    Many more traits that have an effect on gameplay and make unique sims. More trait slots would be great, even if only one more - this will allow more combinations of traits and create more complex sims. Also add more "flawed" traits to round out sims so they aren't all just perfect happy beings.

Some examples of cool traits:
    • Stoic: This sim is very unemotional and hardly ever gets extreme emotions. They are "fine" most of the time, and will get annoyed if sims around them are having extreme emotions. They prefer being alone and staring into space when they are upset.
    • Easily stressed: These sims are tense a lot and get stressed buffs very easily whenever something goes wrong or they have a responsibility, ex. throwing a party. They also feel wracked with fear of getting caught if they do something they shouldn't, ex. pulling a prank on someone or defying their boss during work.
    • Carb conscious: This sim will want to eat low-carb food, be able to examine carbs in food and get negative emotions from eating a lot. These sims are terrified of getting fat and will cry if they gain weight.
    • Eco-friendly: These sims love to garden, fish (if not vegetarian), use the grill or bonfire instead of electrical appliances, save water by showering instead of bathing and having few luxuries, since they believe in saving resources and recycling. They get positive emotions from saving resources and negative emotions when wasting electricity/water and having too many appliances around them. They can scold other sims for being wasteful, enthuse about being green etc.
    • Manipulative: These sims are masters of persuasion. They can easily manipulate other sims into liking/disliking other sims, spread rumours about others, cause drama or get themselves and others out of trouble etc.
    • Rebel
    • Dramatic
    • etc.

Likes/dislikes
    This adds some fun detail to sims and makes them feel much more life-like.
    • Activities: sims like doing certain things, ex. making seasonal crafts, but hate cleaning. This can also be used to boost certain traits like Art-lover, bookworm etc.
    • Colours, music, food: sims can choose a favourite and least favourite out of each category. Sims like wearing their favourite colour and decorating their house with this colour. They can compliment other sims on their outfit or house colour scheme if it is their fav colour, or insult/complain about it if it is their least fav. Sims are happy about eating their fav meal, and will be very unhappy or even get nauseous if eating their least fav. Sims can also insult, praise and debate each other's music tastes.

Turn-on/offs
    A chemistry system would be so great. I like a little challenge when it comes to choosing partners for my sims. It adds a lot of potential for the game to throw a wrench into your plans, or for players setting up soulmates.
    Turn-ons/offs could include appearance (eye/hair colour, slim/normal/more to love/athletic etc), personality traits, interests, skills, professions and wealth.

Fears
    I really don't understand why we don't have the Fear emotion. I hope we get it some time before the end of TS4, bc fear is one of the most basic human emotions. It could also introduce two new traits: Fearless and Coward.
    Sims who are scared have new interactions:
    -Hide
    -Freak out
    -Faint
    -Cry
    -Make scared call (this would be funny if your sim calls their friend because they're afraid of the dark haha)
    Sims can be calmed down by other sims.
    Sims can also scare each other through pranks: switching the lights off, dressing up in costumes, hiding under the bed, waiting behind a door etc.

Examples of fears:
    -the dark
    -the tragic clown
    -mirrors
    -insects
    -ghosts
    -aliens/vampires/supernaturals
    -broccoli (lol)
    -water (will get a panic attack if in a pool and can die of shock if in for too long)
    -elders (get off my lawn!)
    -electricity (terrified of fixing appliances)
    -fire (freaks out at bonfires and faints in event of house fires - yes that makes them easier to kill :naughty: )
    -scary movies/music/TV/outfits

Relationships
    Sims should be very socially intelligent and feel like real virtual people. The moment that the player feels completely engaged in the sims and the world around their sim, the player feels like there is purpose in their sim creating bonds and succeeding in life.

I love TS4's interactions as they feel quite involved and specific. Instead of "Chat" (TS3), I can "ask about day," "talk about dreams" and "talk about interests." This adds immersion and is essential for an involved experience.
    However, I feel that there isn't enough distinction between different relationships in TS4. Acquaintances, friends and best friends don't feel all that different to me, except for a few extra interactions. Sims should be visually happy to see their friends, have more personal interactions, react in certain ways to certain things when their best friends are around (ex. be more giggly, more confident etc) and so on.
    Enemies in TS4 are seriously saddening because there is next to no tension. Sims seem all too happy around their nemesis. Sims should behave differently when their enemy is within range (ex. being more grumpy, more likely to be mean etc.) and want to wreck havoc on their enemies' lives.
    Interactions that allow sims to negatively (and positively, for friends and such) impact others' lives, would be a lot of fun. Spreading rumours, pranking, spitting in their food, gossiping about them, breaking up friendships and lovers (as well as spreading nice things, talking sims up towards another sim, introducing sims to each other, giving advice about ... [finances/love life/job/skill etc. that gives the sim a boost] etc. ) and so on. Sims can manipulate others into preforming certain interactions and influence other sims into behavioural changes. (The Manipulative trait boosts the success rate of convincing sims to act certain ways and change their opinion about other sims)

Ideas for interactions
    I'd like some more conversation interactions to feel like my sims are actually bonding etc. I'd like to know what my sims are talking about and have a breadth of subjects and stuff like that so I feel more socially connected to my sims.

Chit-chat:
    - Small talk
    - Chat about day
    - Talk about weather (Seasons)
    - Talk about news (might bore a sim)
    - Talk about __ (unlocked when sim finds out that the sim has a certain skill or trait, like cooking, fitness, books etc. instead of simply talking about things your sim can do. Good relationship boost as it shows interest in the other sim. I liked this in TS3 as it felt like sims actually remembered other sims' interests and personality)
    - Try to impress (might fail, causing embarrassment)

Friendship:
    - Tease about __ (other sim's love interest)
    - Discuss mutual dislike for __ (sim with negative relationship for both sims)
    - Rant about __ (sim)
    - Discuss pointlessness of it all
    - Rant about life
    - Discuss relevance of TV shows in life
    - Discuss which TV character you are
    - Speculate futures (can give various buffs, ex. "Yas I'm going to be rich" or "What do you mean I'll have 8 kids?")
    - Gush about future with __ (love interest)
    - Ask if __ is a good match (love interest. Pop-up saying yes/no etc. Might offend sim if friend says no)
    - Ask for advice about __ (sim's relationship with another sim. Negative relationship or love interest)
    - Discuss fears

Mean:
    - Hit insecurities
    - Imply mother is a llama (from TS3 lol)
    - Insult __ (cooking/art/gardening etc.)
    - Insult __ (personality trait, ex. geekiness/childishness etc.)
    - Be sarcastic
    - Suggest sim has no future

- Spread rumours about __ (sim. Might either lower your sim's relationship with talked-to sim [if they have a positive relationship with subject sim] or lower talked-to sim's relationship with subject sim. We need more ways to ruin other sims' lives)
    - Gossip about __ (sim)
    - Turn against __ (sim)
    - I can treat you better (*sings*. Lol, just kidding. But can steal sim's love interest and turn them against former lover.)

Romance:
    - Discuss future together (might either make a sim tense for not wanting to commit so quickly, or open a possibility of the other sim asking you out on a date and proposing in the next few days. Non-played sims don't propose, which makes sense as it might ruin stories, but it would be great if we could influence it to happen)
    - Dinner table proposal
    - Relaxing/Cuddling/Make-out in bed (TS3 style)
    - More wild make-outs (standing and on couch. TS4 is so PG10.)
    - Slow-dancing!!!

- Confess affair
    - Accuse of having affair

Socials that prompt a pop-up:
    - Gossip (pop-up with something that is actually happening in town, like in TS3)
    - What's wrong? (If a sim is in a negative mood. Pop-up explaining cause, like "My parent died" or "broke up with _" or "got in fight with _" etc. I think this will complement the emotional system very well, as a big part of real emotions is sharing them, and we can also get to know sims better with this - what's going on in their lives etc.)
    - "Get to know" can now also tell us about the other sim's skills, likes/dislikes etc.

Interactions on objects:
    - Prank call __ (cellphone)
    - Take quiz (computer. Might cause buffs like "forever alone," "I'm a hamburger," "he/she likes me back!" etc.)

Wow I love it! Especially the Fears part, this is so great thank you! I'll defenitely put some of your ideas in my summary this evenning if I have enough time to do it. You should check these ideas @SimGuruKate @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruGrant @SimGuruNinja
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I agree with everything said here! I'll just post what I posted on another similar thread about what I'd like to see done with personalities (with a few changes I added after reading through all the wonderful ideas here).

It would be awesome if instead of choosing three traits from four categories we instead got to choose one or two personality flavors from multiple categories. For example:

Hobbies - pick one or maybe two hobbies that your sim would enjoy more than others and perhaps a hobby they can't stand as well. The hobbies they enjoy should be what they autonomously go and do when their fun is low, and these activities should always raise their fun. A disliked hobby when make them board or tense and decrease their fun. Hobby choices should include everything from running to reading, playing chess to gardening (updated with each pack as well).

Likes/Dislikes - choose one thing your sim particularly likes or dislikes. Things like cats, dogs, outdoors, meat, etc. Interacting with a liked thing would give the sim a boost of some kind, and interacting with a dislike would do the opposite.

Fears - select a something your sim is particularly afraid of. Could include water, fire, storms, etc. Interacting with a feared item would result in a more extreme reaction. To make it more interesting maybe include the possibility of receiving a phobia from in game play (and maybe overcoming it as well). For instance, if a sim catches on fire they are then afraid of fire, if they almost drown they now fear water.

Social - this would influence how your sim interacts with others. Include things like self-centered, shy, outgoing, mean, etc. A mean sim would lead with mean interactions and would have a harder time gaining relationships, a shy sim would be less likely to approach other sims and would get embarrassed more easily. Should each unlock unique social interactions.

Emotional - these would dictate how your sim reacts emotionally in different situations. Include gloomy, hotheaded, sensitive, passionate, etc. A hotheaded sim would respond with anger and yell at those around them when bad things happen while a sensitive sim might get sad or embarrassed and withdraw from the situation. A passionate sim would have more intense emotions and a stoic sim would be less reactive emotionally. These should give your sim a unique idle action so that they behave differently. Gloomy sims would sag and sigh, playful sims would do a happy dance, stoic sims would fold their arms and slightly frown.

Lifestyle - these can be traits that affect how your sim lives their life. Include lazy, active, slob, neat, proper, rebellious etc. Should unlock unique interactions with people and objects. A proper sim can lecture sims who are mean, a neat sim can can go on a cleaning spree, a lazy sim can take a nap on the ground, etc (would love if they would just do these things autonomously too).

Skills - this is something your sim is naturally talented in. Could include charismatic, logical, fit, funny, green thumb, handy, etc. This one skill will be more easily learned by your sim. Could also choose a skill that your sim has a hard time learning.

Of course included in this would be the need to improve traits themselves, but I'll just point to everything said above me in regards to that.

I realize this would require a huge overhaul that might ruin old game saves, so I doubt they would do this. But even just giving more weight to how traits affect how our sims react to the world around them would be enough. Great thread.
  • Jj216Jj216 Posts: 17 New Member
    I miss Memories / Turn ons/offs
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    I was just playing with my teenager sim and she invited some friends over.
    One of them was really angry a.t.m. so I did the interaction talking about it.

But I just realized... how cool would it be if the game would really tell us why other sims are angry or sad or etc....
    I want to know if my friend was in a fight with someone or things like that. That would be so cool!
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I just posted this in another thread, but I think it's very relevant to this conversation as well so I'll copy it here:

I think they should change the decoration "Happy" buffs to "Fine", as well as the default emotion. I might like a picture on the wall at home, but it certainly isn't going to negate my bad mood. But being at home in familiar surroundings might help to neutralize someone's mood, so I think "Fine" would make much more sense for that. This would help to balance the general emotional states of the Sims.

When you think about it, the game is really set up for the Sims to constantly be in a "winning" state. Default is "Happy", decorations are "Happy", and just having full needs is also "Happy". Then they eat a good meal and suddenly they are even more "Happy". It's out of control. All of these things should be "Fine", because I see being fine as the equivalent to being content, which is very different from happiness. I could see a Foodie getting a happy buff from an excellent meal, or a Materialistic Sim getting a happy buff from their high quality decorations, because these things make sense for their personality...and this leads into why traits don't even work properly.

The point of the Sims being an actual game is to challenge the player to find what things keep their Sims happy, to find the time to do those things, and to prevent them from falling into failure, or explore the means to get them out of those failures and overcome the obstacles. This was the initial basic concept of The Sims, but the game has been drifting further and further away from that after Sims 2, and I think this is why Sims 4 has become so controversial and debatable. The series has gone through so much metamorphosis that it has drifted away from its original concept. So what we really need is to bring that concept back. It might be too late for Sims 4, but if there is anything the developers can do to shift things back in that direction, I would highly recommend that they try to do it.
    #Team Occult
    edited March 2019
    Summary of March 10 until March 17

Emotions
    • Default emotion should be fine
    • More negative moodlets
    • Again, decrease the impact of the happy emotion
    • Remove the ''well-decorated'' buff

Traits & Aspirations
    • More flaws (more negative buffs as well)
    • More slots for traits
    • Exclusive traits for children
    • More aspirations for children
    • (If babies get an update) the ability to have happy, fussy, barfy babies
    • Again, noticeable traits (bookworm should read all the time etc I won't repeat it)
    • Technophobe trait (this sim doesn't like watching TV, can get tense if too forced, love reading, watching fireplace etc)
    • Serious trait (this sim doesn't like jokes, can get annoyed, angry & doesn't react well to joke, doesn't like funny sim, watching the comedy channel, earn slower the comedy skill etc)
    • Unflirty sim shouldn't being that easy to seduce, shouldn't like watching romance channel etc)
    • Stoic: This sim is very unemotional and hardly ever gets extreme emotions. They are "fine" most of the time, and will get annoyed if sims around them are having extreme emotions. They prefer being alone and staring into space when they are upset
    • Easily stressed: These sims are tense a lot and get stressed buffs very easily whenever something goes wrong or they have a responsibility, ex. throwing a party. They also feel wracked with fear of getting caught if they do something they shouldn't, ex. pulling a prank on someone or defying their boss during work
    • Carb conscious: This sim will want to eat low-carb food, be able to examine carbs in food and get negative emotions from eating a lot. These sims are terrified of getting fat and will cry if they gain weight
    • Eco-friendly: These sims love to garden, fish (if not vegetarian), use the grill or bonfire instead of electrical appliances, save water by showering instead of bathing and having few luxuries, since they believe in saving resources and recycling. They get positive emotions from saving resources and negative emotions when wasting electricity/water and having too many appliances around them. They can scold other sims for being wasteful, enthuse about being green etc
    • Manipulative: These sims are masters of persuasion. They can easily manipulate other sims into liking/disliking other sims, spread rumours about others, cause drama or get themselves and others out of trouble etc
    • Traits that reduce the possibilities of having a certain emotion
    • Loval, brave, socially awkward, brave, cultured, dramatic, rebel traits etc
    • Some of the ''negative'' traits could have consequences (a socially awkward sim couldn't max the charisma skill etc)
    • Expand traits through packs (a hot headed sim should be angry at paparazzi etc)
    • No random buffs (a hot headed sim should get an angry moodlet when something goes wrong, when he/she breaks something, walks on poop etc)

Reactions, behaviours, relations, interactions
    • The ''work on relationship'' interaction should actually change something in the relationship
    • The ''ask for money'' interaction should have consequences if you don't bring it back to the sim (the relation slowly decreases until being enemy)
    • More reactions when a sim is cheated on (like in TS3, it should take time to rebuild the relationship etc), death, children should react more when parents are divorced
    • When a sim sees an ennemy he/she should become angry, tense, more inclined to be mean etc,
    • Sims should stop to autonoumously do friendly interactions
    • Ask to a sim why he/she is angry, sad, tense etc (and get the answer)
    • Confess affair, accuse of having affair
    • Discuss future together (the sim can get tense, angry etc)

Fear Emotion
    • A Fear emotion
    • A sim can be scared of aliens, vampires, clown etc
    • Hide, Freak out, Faint, Cry, Make scared call
    • Scare or calm a sim

Wants & Fears
    • Fear of getting fat, see X dies, being friendzoned, the dark, mirrors, insects, water, ghosts, fire, scary movies/music/TV/outfits etc
    • Wants of having a baby with, see this child succeed, wear a pajamas etc
    • More wishes to interact with friends, family
    • Fears & Wants related to traits : a family-oriented sim should have the want of ''having baby'' & the fear of ''see this child not succeed etc

Attraction/Romance system
    • A reputation for romance (a casanova won't flirt that easy with others)
    • Attraction for the job, level of career, skills etc
    • Turn ons/offs (body type, wealth)

Memory
    • Phobia of an activity (for example if the fathersim died while swimming, the kid should be afraid of the pool & get a sad moodlet)

Likes & Dislikes
    • The ability to compliment other sims houses, clothes if it is their favs colors or insult if it is their least favs

Extra
    • Zodiacs

I hope I didn't forget anything. I just wanted to credit @Louise_G0325 for some ideas that I just copied-pasted cause she did a great summary. I also wanted to thank every simmer with the amazing ideas in this thread & for the support. I know I say thank's a lot but we never say thank's too much lol. This thread exists since 2 weeks & it has been really active here, I hope the Devs are aware & are or already worked on it. Hope so we'll see a change this year because it has been 4 years now people made threads about it and it deserves as much attention as University and all the rest. Happy simming!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LGBTincLGBTinc Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2019

1. Memory
    2. More impactful traits
    3. Better whims

Memory is a big one.
    My sim is in a committal relationship, yet tries to kiss every 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sim it sees.
    Help Me
    sims-baby.jpg
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    I want to know if my friend was in a fight with someone or things like that. That would be so cool!

I love this idea! It would give semblance of other Sims really having an entire life going on when they're not in your presence.
    tenor.gif

Furthermore, I think TS4 needs TO OVERHAUL PERSONALITY TRAITS and make them have more dynamic reactions so that The Sims do not feel like they are capable of only a specific set of reactions. Speaking of which, I'm am sooo tired of these boring random actions; if I have a Loner Sim, she shouldn't randomly be approaching other Sims and Couch Potato shouldn't go randomly jogging by default. Ugh. I'm trying to keep awake throughout this overly long, drawn-out rendition of The Sims and MAXIS is just putting me to sleep. Catch me over here trying to keep awake and care about this game.
    tenor.gif

God, I love THE SIMS but these people are killing the franchise I loved and invested in. What's so hard to include dynamic personality traits in every release or add them in game updates? iT'S BEEN FIVE YEARS.
    tenor.gif

Duende wrote: »

I love this idea! It would give semblance of other Sims really having an entire life going on when they're not in your presence.
    tenor.gif

Furthermore, I think TS4 needs TO OVERHAUL PERSONALITY TRAITS and make them have more dynamic reactions so that The Sims do not feel like they are capable of only a specific set of reactions. Speaking of which, I'm am sooo tired of these boring random actions; if I have a Loner Sim, she shouldn't randomly be approaching other Sims and Couch Potato shouldn't go randomly jogging by default. Ugh. I'm trying to keep awake throughout this overly long, drawn-out rendition of The Sims and MAXIS is just putting me to sleep. Catch me over here trying to keep awake and care about this game.
    tenor.gif

God, I love THE SIMS but these people are killing the franchise I loved and invested in. What's so hard to include dynamic personality traits in every release or add them in game updates? iT'S BEEN FIVE YEARS.
    tenor.gif

The last part express exactly how I'm feeling.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    i will be in the minority here BUT id be happy to have all my previous saves broken, needing to be deleted, and having to start fresh saves if it meant i got fleshed out individual sims with alot of the above implemented (i say alot because i cant see them adding all)
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member

1. A moral system for sims that works like the reputation system that is based on a sims actions that does not decay. Parents can teach good or bad morals to their children and teens. Moral sims won't cheat if in a romantic relationship or steal or do any other immoral act unless directed by player. Moral sims will become tense if they commit an immoral action. Moral sims will get upset and become tense when they witness an immoral action by another sim and loose relationship points with them. Immoral sims are not unfazed by witnessing an immoral action or committing an immoral action.

2. A memory system that includes special long time memories like first kiss that don't decay. Short time memories like what they ate for breakfast, daily gossip they heard that are replaced by other daily short time memories. Sims also will remember their long time memories once in a while and receive a buff depending on the memory they remembered.

3. A gossip system that uses the above memory system like in The Sims 2. Sims can spread gossip about cheating or if they learned a new skill.

sazzieJ wrote: »
    i will be in the minority here BUT id be happy to have all my previous saves broken, needing to be deleted, and having to start fresh saves if it meant i got fleshed out individual sims with alot of the above implemented (i say alot because i cant see them adding all)

Same, I would do anything for better personalities.
    1. A moral system for sims that works like the reputation system that is based on a sims actions that does not decay. Parents can teach good or bad morals to their children and teens. Moral sims won't cheat if in a romantic relationship or steal or do any other immoral act unless directed by player. Moral sims will become tense if they commit an immoral action. Moral sims will get upset and become tense when they witness an immoral action by another sim and loose relationship points with them. Immoral sims are not unfazed by witnessing an immoral action or committing an immoral action.

2. A memory system that includes special long time memories like first kiss that don't decay. Short time memories like what they ate for breakfast, daily gossip they heard that are replaced by other daily short time memories. Sims also will remember their long time memories once in a while and receive a buff depending on the memory they remembered.

3. A gossip system that uses the above memory system like in The Sims 2. Sims can spread gossip about cheating or if they learned a new skill.

I love the idea of long & short memory. I also would love if we could get buffs (good or bad) when they remember a memory. And the moral system sounds interesting.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I want sexual attraction. I like a bit of a challenge, so in TS3 I would only let my sims date people they were attracted to. In this game, the fact that you can fix up any two sims is a little boring.

I was really impressed that they have a lot of gender options in CAS but it doesn't feel complete if they don't include sexual preferences.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The Sims Studio actially released two patches that gives sims more personality. The first one was in 2015 around october If I recall correctly, in which they dropped the jealousy update which overhauls how sin would react if cought on Cheating, and it even gave us the jealousy trait for those who wanted for more challenge. I remmeber at that time having a sim flirting to a girl at the nightclub while his wife was at the bar. When her wife saw my male sim, she got the angry, and went to the male sim, and slap my sim without my consent and even pushed a lot of mean interactions until theur relationship drops. I was even shocked to see that the wife got a whim to divorse to Joseph(my male sim). Now I can't get it happen again. Actually I feel that his Jealousy system got nerf because of the complaints following the update.

here is the blogpost
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/jealous

The next one was the Reaction to Death and Fire update, still at 2015, which updated reactions o those events. For example if your ss nemesis die and sim is evil, they will actually be happy instead of sad. Duribg a fire, gloomy sims will cry instead of panic. The blogpost discuss all pf the changes here

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/get-together-reaction-systems-update

That update, is the last The Sins 4 update to feature overhauls to reactions from sims based on traits. We never got any update that is closed to this two since 2015, and its almost three years since it has done.