Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traits are broken and we all need to admit it

13...Next

Comments

• rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    It would be awesome if instead of choosing three traits from four categories we instead got to choose one or two personality flavors from multiple categories. For example:

Hobbies - pick one or maybe two hobbies that sim would enjoy more than others and perhaps a hobby they can't stand as well. Hobby choices should include everything from running to reading, playing chess to gardening (updated with each pack as well).

Likes/Dislikes - choose one thing your sim particularly likes or dislikes. Things like cats, dogs, outdoors, meat, etc. Interacting with a liked thing would give the sim a boost of some kind, and interacting with a dislike would do the opposite.

Fears - select a something your sim is particularly afraid of. Could include water, fire, storms, etc. Interacting with a feared item would result in a more extreme reaction. To make it more interesting maybe include the possibility of receiving a phobia from in game play (and maybe overcoming it as well). For instance, if a sim catches on fire they are then afraid of fire, if they almost drown they now fear water.

Social - this would influence how your sim interacts with others. Include things like self-centered, shy, outgoing, mean, etc. A mean sim would lead with mean interactions and would have a harder time gaining relationships, a shy sim would be less likely to approach other sims and would get embarrassed more easily. Should each unlock unique social interactions.

Emotional - these would boost and suppress the different emotions. Would include playful, serious, gloomy, cheerful, etc. Should have a boost and suppress trait for each emotion. These should give your sim a unique idle action so that they behave differently. Gloomy sims would sag and sigh, playful sims would do a happy dance, serious sims would fold their arms and slightly frown.

Lifestyle - these can be traits that affect how your sim lives their life. Include lazy, active, slob, neat, proper, rebellious etc. Should unlock unique interactions with people and objects. A proper sim can lecture sims who are mean, a neat sim can can go on a cleaning spree, a lazy sim can take a nap on the ground.

Skills - this is something your sim is naturally talented in. Could include charismatic, logical, fit, funny, green thumb, handy, etc. This one skill will be more easily learned by your sim. Could also choose a skill that your sim has a hard time learning.

So with all these choices you could end up with a sim who is:

Shy around others, serious, and neat. They are naturally handy, enjoy running, and dislike gardening. They like dogs, don't like meat, and are afraid of storms.

Or you could have a sim who is:

Naturally a good cook but who dislikes cooking, likes camping but is afraid of fire.

Could open up some interesting story lines.

These ideas are amazing if they implemented this the game could be a true succesor
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    Sure, the current Trait system was designed in 2014 (and earlier) but it's outdated today.

This game is a "live service" then we could expect a big Trait update.

Totally agree. I hope that if enough people start/continue talking about it they will do something about it. We all just want this game to be the best it can be
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    It would be awesome if instead of choosing three traits from four categories we instead got to choose one or two personality flavors from multiple categories. For example:

Hobbies - pick one or maybe two hobbies that sim would enjoy more than others and perhaps a hobby they can't stand as well. Hobby choices should include everything from running to reading, playing chess to gardening (updated with each pack as well).

Likes/Dislikes - choose one thing your sim particularly likes or dislikes. Things like cats, dogs, outdoors, meat, etc. Interacting with a liked thing would give the sim a boost of some kind, and interacting with a dislike would do the opposite.

Fears - select a something your sim is particularly afraid of. Could include water, fire, storms, etc. Interacting with a feared item would result in a more extreme reaction. To make it more interesting maybe include the possibility of receiving a phobia from in game play (and maybe overcoming it as well). For instance, if a sim catches on fire they are then afraid of fire, if they almost drown they now fear water.

Social - this would influence how your sim interacts with others. Include things like self-centered, shy, outgoing, mean, etc. A mean sim would lead with mean interactions and would have a harder time gaining relationships, a shy sim would be less likely to approach other sims and would get embarrassed more easily. Should each unlock unique social interactions.

Emotional - these would boost and suppress the different emotions. Would include playful, serious, gloomy, cheerful, etc. Should have a boost and suppress trait for each emotion. These should give your sim a unique idle action so that they behave differently. Gloomy sims would sag and sigh, playful sims would do a happy dance, serious sims would fold their arms and slightly frown.

Lifestyle - these can be traits that affect how your sim lives their life. Include lazy, active, slob, neat, proper, rebellious etc. Should unlock unique interactions with people and objects. A proper sim can lecture sims who are mean, a neat sim can can go on a cleaning spree, a lazy sim can take a nap on the ground.

Skills - this is something your sim is naturally talented in. Could include charismatic, logical, fit, funny, green thumb, handy, etc. This one skill will be more easily learned by your sim. Could also choose a skill that your sim has a hard time learning.

So with all these choices you could end up with a sim who is:

Shy around others, serious, and neat. They are naturally handy, enjoy running, and dislike gardening. They like dogs, don't like meat, and are afraid of storms.

Or you could have a sim who is:

Naturally a good cook but who dislikes cooking, likes camping but is afraid of fire.

Could open up some interesting story lines.

I would love something like this. It would be a great way to give our sims more depth and personality and of course that missing fear emotion. Also I agree it would be nice to have a way to make certain skills harder for sims to gain or even prevent them entirely, e.g. a sim meant to be socially awkward shouldn't become so charismatic just through talking to others etc.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited March 2019
    I would rather they gave us traits and we could chose the level of meanness, kindness, lazyness, greed etc., that we wanted for each Sim. Possibly to add up to a permitted overall total. We had something (on a simple level) like this in The Sims. I was forever choosing how much in each category. In those days it was based on the Zodiac.
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    @RememberJoy I like these ideas. Something like this would be perfect. :)
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Yep. And it's a bit weird that all my sims hate fruitcake and get tense mood from rain/tunder storm. All sims are like the same even when i try to use most weirdest traits i can think of.
    Hope we would se some changes to that trait system
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yep. And it's a bit weird that all my sims hate fruitcake and get tense mood from rain/tunder storm. All sims are like the same even when i try to use most weirdest traits i can think of.
    Hope we would se some changes to that trait system

Yes! I sometimes use cheats to give my sims the hidden left-handed or loves fruitcake trait, just to make them more distinct.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Speaking of Negative traits there is no purpose if the game is always trying to encourage the player to go into a postive emotion. What is the purpose of the Hot headed trait if the only thong that makes them angry is only mishief?Their whims when angry are all about calming their emotions. If you had an Evil, and Hot Headed sim, why do the sim get a whim of calming down instead of meing mean or mischievousto everyone?
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2019
    "I actually don't see how the trait system from Sims 3 is any better"

Me neither. What I want is unique animations for each trait while sims are chatting with other sims. A shy sim could do shy animations speaking with another not only one idle animation.
  • Arcanine4PresidentArcanine4President Posts: 31 Member
    A trait overhaul would be nice, but I honestly doubt they will...
    As others have said, hopefully in The Sims 5 we get everything we've ever wanted!
    (I'm praying that The Sims 5 will be the ultimate fan-loved game, and not an ultimate money grab by EA.)
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    edited March 2019
    Weak traits were a thing in The Sims 3 as well. Heck, I don't even think the 25 point system in Sims 1 and 2 did anything too drastic, either. I find traits in both 3 and 4 to be more creative and more interesting for me, as I tend to make up most of the Sims' personalities in my head anyways.

EDIT: However, I won't complain if some trait improvements were implemented. Just saying I'm fine with the way it is now.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Crimson_CountessCrimson_Countess Posts: 17 Member
    I have to agree that after a while, the traits become flat, because you know what moodlets are associated with them. Perhaps a separate option for lifestyle choices (vegetarian ect), another for personal preferences ( dog lover, music lover, art lover ect) and THEN the three traits.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    edited March 2019
    I was not a fan of the old point system either. Sims only got distinquished behaviour in that if the points were 0-2 or 8-10. Everything between felt just the same. I can't compare to TS3 system as I never played it much.

Good suggestions in this thread. It seems like it wouldn't be an absolute must to redo trait system if they can work around it somehow. I would like to see the TS4 traits tied to future content like they did with holiday traditions in Seasons. I also want more idle animations. For example clumsy sims should get fail animations longer than other sims even when they have skilled up, maybe even at the max levels. That already would make the trait more worthy in my opinion.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I didn't read the whole thread but this is so true!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited March 2019
    Essentially describing Favorites.😒

First,
    I think They should expand on trait slots, and more traits. I shouldn't have to Narrow Down my sim's top 3 Traits, especially every time a new traits come out, that fit my Sims character.
    My sim is a Geek, Bro, and a Foodie, But he's also Adventurous, Lazy and an Art Lover
    Children should have 4 trait Slots
    Teenagers Should have 5
    Young Adults should have 6
    Adults and Elders Should have 7

Next,
    Preferences: (Essentially Setting up a Sim's Profile)
    Keeping it Simple:
    Choose from a List of Personality Traits your sim finds Attractive.
    Choose from a List of Physical Traits your sim finds Attractive.

Favorites:
    Player should have the Option of a minimum of 1, to a Maximum of 5, Favorites per Category.
    Sims will Autominously do their favorites.
    Color
    Food
    Drink
    Hobby

As for fears, I don't think Fears should be acquired in CAS. They should be from traumatic events, a Sim has witnessed first hand or read about at some point their life. Your sim can Gain fears from watching Movies, reading Books, Social Media, Knowing someone close to them who has suffered that fate. Being Brave or a Coward Should be a non-Static trait.
    Should your sim acquire an alarming amount of fears they would be branded a Coward, should the sim conquer a significant amount of fears, they will become brave. However they may lose their bravery if the compile a bunch of new fears.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2019
    After reading Grant's tweets, I think it's clear they should just admit TS4 should have never utilized the trait system. It worked in The Sims 3, but the solution to the "issues" they had with them in TS4 during testing, to just slim down the number of traits to 3, was poor design.

The Sims 1 and 2's point personality system was amazing. In TS5, I hope they bring that back, expand it, and also add the interests system from TS2: FreeTime in the base game. Traits are far too restrictive to work with, especially in small quantities.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    After reading Grant's tweets, I think it's clear they should just admit TS4 should have never utilized the trait system. It worked in The Sims 3, but the solution to the "issues" they had with them in TS4 during testing, to just slim down the number of traits to 3, was poor design.

The Sims 1 and 2's point personality system was amazing. In TS5, I hope they bring that back, expand it, and also add the interests system from TS2: FreeTime in the base game. Traits are far too restrictive to work with, especially in small quantities.

I hope too cause the traits system after 10 years seems to be the lamest thing ever.
    Lu4ERme.gif